Chapter 67: The King of Suen
376 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“How did you find this story dungeon? And how did you manage to get an audience with the King before?” Infamous Biscuit whispered to Nightscythe.

The two guards standing at attention looked down at their five-person party from the steps above. Freya, Infamous Biscuit, Heilong, K13, and Nightscythe stood just outside the gates of the majestic Soliya castle. As the capital of the powerful country of Suen, Freya expected a grand palace, but she was still awed. Standing at the foothill of the mountains, the early morning sun outlined the castles’ high towers and spires that made up its skyline.

“Well, last time I didn’t exactly come through the front entrance, haha,” Nightscythe said, scratching his chin. “Still, as long as the guards pass along the message to the King, I’m sure we’ll get in.”

Freya looked between the impassive guards and Nightsythe. She pursed her lips. One of the guards was away supposedly delivering their message, but she wouldn’t be surprised if he just brought backup to kick them out or arrest them.

The guard uniforms reminded her of the guards that patrolled White City, the capital of Oyosi. She wondered why, even on the other side of the continent, shoulder pads, tassels, and big hats were still staples for guards. The only major difference was the color of their uniforms. In White City, the palace guards wore black; here in Soliya, they wore red. The rusty red color almost made them blend into the bricks of the castle.

Finally, the guard came back–without backup.

“King Ilyas will meet with you.”

“Thank you,” Nightscythe said, taking this all in stride. He rushed up the stairs, and the others followed him and the guard into the castle complex.

Up close, the Soliya castle was even more impressive. The massive scale reminded Freya of the images she saw of the underground city they found in Kai Nai. However, here instead of dull grey stone, vibrant red brick made up the buildings. The architecture was also different. The abandoned buildings in the dungeon were all rectangular-shaped with sharp corners. Here, everything was round or curved.

 After passing through a building, they entered a sunny courtyard. Trimmed grass and rose hedges decorated the space. At the center stood a white pergola covered in vines.

Two men occupied the pergola. One stood to the side while the other sat with a tea set in front of him. Both men looked to be in their late thirties, but the man sitting down had long blonde hair and a trimmed beard while the other had close-cropped hair with a clean-shaved face.

The guard guided them up to the men. Bowing and gesturing with his right hand to the man drinking tea, he announced, “His majesty, King Ilyas Hakim Soli.”

The King of Suen wore a stoic expression. His red cape was the same deep red color as the castle guards. Underneath, he had an embroidered red, gold, and white doublet. Elaborate gold jewelry sparkled from his neck, fingers, and head. Even in the shade of the pergola, the King seemed to glow.

Heilong was the first to react. She fell to one knee, crossed her arm over her heart, and said, “Greetings, your majesty.”

After a pause, the others copied her. Freya peeked up at the King. He looked surprised but smiled warmly at their gesture. She wondered where Heilong learned the greeting. 

“You may rise. I didn’t think a trespasser would have such well-mannered friends,” King Ilyas said, smiling at Nightscythe. 

The rogue coughed awkwardly. Freya hadn’t heard the full story from Nightscythe, but given the implications, she was surprised he wasn’t beheaded. 

“Your majesty,” Nightscythe said, standing straighter. “I have come to fulfill your request.”

“Ah yes, do you think you are capable enough now?”

“Yes, with the help of my comrades.”

The King’s gaze fell on the four of them behind Nightscythe. “Can any of you see ghosts?”

Freya paused a moment before answering, “Yes, I can.” 

‘Ghost’ is kind of an archaic term, but it should mean the same thing as spirits, she thought to herself.

“Very good, Nightscythe here has already proven to me that he can see ghosts, but the more, the merrier,” the King said. 

Freya raised an eyebrow at the rogue, surprised. As she understood, only game players with a high enough perception could see spirits. Nightscythe was only at level nine, so he must have put all his attribute points into perception.

The King of Suen set down his teacup and folded his hands on the table. “My request is this: Find my brother’s ghost in the Port District and help him resolve whatever worries are holding him here. If you can do this, I promise to reward you all generously.”

Freya’s ears perked up at his last sentence. Just as Nightscythe promised, he had led them to a story dungeon that would probably give a good monetary reward. In order to rebuild her shaman shop, she could use all the money she could get. 

Once King Ilyas finished talking, a text box popped up in front of Freya.

[Ghosts of the Port District]

[Story Dungeon] [Suggested Team Lvl: 15]

[Main Objective: Find the ghost of Prince Toychi Hakim Soli and bring him to peace]

“I must warn you,” the King continued his voice grave. “The Port District has become a dangerous place. Demons have completely taken it over. My brother lost his life helping the last citizens escape out of the Port District. It is now only a place of ghosts and demons.”

15