Chapter 85: But I’m in this Game Anyway
202 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are you sure it was Sangen?” Infamous Biscuit asked.

After searching the mayor’s mansion, the druid, K13, and Nightscythe had met up with the rest of them at the docks. About an hour had passed since Heilong saw a figure watching them, but no one, not even Hamra’s fox spirit, could find anyone in the area.

Heilong bit her lip, “I’m pretty sure. I couldn’t read his name, but who else would hide around a corner to spy on us, then disappear the moment they knew I spotted them?”

“You’re sure his ID screen was green?”

“Positive, I’m not color-blind.”

Infamous Biscuit sighed in defeat, but the corner of his mouth twitched at Heilong’s quip. Freya understood his redundant questions; they all wanted to know if Sangen had the Player Card.

“No one else saw him?” he asked, looking at the others.

Freya, Scrimmancer, and Hamra shook their heads. Freya added, “I think Heilong was the only one facing in the right direction to see him. Plus, we were all distracted talking to Prince Toychi.”

Nightscythe paced back and forth, alternating between searching the area with his Translucent Field and biting his nails. In the gap in the conversation, he said, “I wonder what his class is. If he could hide so well, maybe he’s a rogue like me. Although, if he figured out how to use the fast-travel system, well, that could be really bad.”

“Yeah, that would be bad,” Infamous Biscuit said, frowning. “Given he seems to know other demoniclasts that also have Player Cards, they could come back here…”

“I don’t think they figured out how to fast-travel,” Heilong said bluntly. “If they did they would already be here.”

The back of Freya’s neck twinged. The thought hadn’t crossed her mind. Fighting Sangen alone was bad enough; Freya didn’t want to think about a full-out battle against multiple high-level demoniclasts.

“Still, I think it’s better if we all get out of here soon. Especially us,” Scrimmancer said, nodding to Hamra. 

As the only one who couldn’t fast-travel to a random location to lose Sangen, the NPC necromancer was particularly at risk. 

“Yes, we should wrap this up quick,” Infamous Biscuit agreed. “It sounds like the last part of this story dungeon is to clear the district of monsters. That might take a while. Maybe you and Hamra should leave while we finish up.”

“I want to stay.”

Everyone turned their attention to Hamra in surprise. The necromancer didn’t flinch and only stared back at each of them.

“I may not have a Player Card, but it seems I’ve gotten involved in this ‘game’ anyway. Nightscythe explained to me about ‘story dungeons’ and the rewards associated with clearing a dungeon. He said the King of Suen agreed to reward you for bringing his brother’s ghost to peace. If we help out, do you think he’ll also grant us something?”

Freya blinked. She remembered Nightscythe and Hamra had both stayed outside while the rest explored the shaman residence, but she didn’t know they had a meaningful conversation. The two were polar opposites. Nightscythe was much younger and had a silly side, while Hamra was always serious and hard to read. Freya couldn’t imagine their conversation. 

But putting that aside, it was true Hamra was deeply involved with the game. She was teaching a game player and contributed a fair amount in helping clear the story dungeon so far. If she helped them clear the district of demons, she deserved a reward as well. However, Freya was unsure if the game system would see it that way. 

“The game might grant Scrimmancer something,” Infamous Biscuit said, scratching his beard. “But I don’t know if the King will give anything to you.”

“He might,” Heilong said, tapping her lip. “The game seems flexible. Do you want anything in particular?”

Hamra fiddled with her cloak. She turned her head, “Just some money would be enough. It’s difficult for necromancers to make money.”

“That’s possible,” Infamous Biscuit said. “Even if the King doesn’t agree to give you anything, we can split the money we get from clearing the dungeon. Freya’s also interested in money too to repair her shaman shop.”

The others agreed. The rewards could be split amongst themselves if the game didn’t spread it evenly.

“Then that’s enough for me to stay,” Hamra said, looking at Scrimmancer. The other necromancer frowned slightly and bit his lip, but said nothing.

Freya glanced between the two of them. She wasn’t exactly sure what their relationship was, but she had guesses. I wonder if Hamra’s doing this for Scrim. No, I don’t think it’s just for him. I think she wants to know about his world. About the world I’m apart of now. 

“Alright, let’s do this then,” Freya said before anyone else could interrupt. 

“Yeah! Let’s do this!” Nightscythe exclaimed excitedly, punching up in the air. Then he slumped a little, “It would be a lot easier if we could aggro them all here instead of going to look for all of them.”

“I can help with that,” a quiet voice said.

K13 shrunk under everyone’s stares, but he continued, “I can aggro all the demons here.”

13