Chapter 117: Preparations for the Last Trial
135 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Do I really look like that?” Freya asked Nightscythe.

The two stood just outside the inn in a quiet alleyway. They had been discussing their cover stories, so they matched. Nightscythe had switched into his “Loki” identity that was supposed to be Frey’s twin brother. However, she wasn’t convinced her male form looked similar to this.

“I didn’t say we are identical twins. Look, I have your light brown hair and eye color. Plus, I copied your angular eyes and small nose!”

Freya touched her face. She never gave much thought to her facial features, but most of the people in the town she grew up in had those characteristics. She sighed, “I guess you at least look like we’re the same ethnicity. By the way, why did you choose the name ‘Loki?’”

“Ah, I thought it fit with the theme: Freya, Frey, Loki. I thought about Thor. Although, there’s no Norse mythology here, right?”

“...no, I’ve never heard of it. But luckily, you didn’t pick too weird of a name.”

Nightscythe smiled even though she didn’t mean it as a compliment. 

“Anyway,” Freya continued, stepping out of the alley. “We should get going. I’m supposed to go to the arena this morning. I wonder what we’re doing.”

“Oh! I heard something about that!” Nightscythe said, falling into step beside Freya. He talked excitedly as they walked. “I think the demoniclasts are going to teach you guys something. Then if you’re able to learn it, you’ll be accepted as a demoniclast apprentice. They were all talking about this before the second trial started. I think they were worried that some people with good potential might get eliminated in that stupid setup of the second trial.”

“We have to learn something?” Freya mused. She had a feeling she knew what it was, but she was surprised they were offering to teach it. If her prediction was correct, she wouldn’t have a problem. She thought over Nightscythe’s words.

Freya glanced over at the rogue, “How did you hear all this?”

“I was eavesdropping on those demoniclasts with Player Cards. All three of them are staying at the same house. I listened in through an open window. That level twenty guy, Kamdale, seems to want to take on an apprentice.”

That’s awfully dangerous, Freya thought but didn’t say aloud. Demoniclasts weren’t called demon killers for nothing. Their senses had to be sharp to hunt demons. Snooping on them was no small feat. She assumed Nightscythe had his rogue game skills to help him, but still, it was rather risky. However, she was in no position to nag him, considering she was now contemplating how she could make herself Kamdale’s apprentice.

Once they got to the arena, a lone demoniclast greeted them at the entrance.

“Sorry, trial participants only,” the demoniclast said, looking at Nightscythe.

“Okay, I will wait for my brother out here,” Nightscythe said easily. He smiled at Freya and waved her forward. “Good luck! I’m sad I won’t be able to see anything.”

Freya couldn’t help but glower at his sunny expression. Despite not being let into the arena, she knew he could see through the closed doors using his Translucent Field skill. He would be able to see everything.

After confirming her identity with her shell, she walked into the quiet arena. It looked even bigger empty. The hundreds of people yesterday seemed like an illusion. The three iron rings in the center were gone. Groups of finalists and demoniclasts stood in groups around the floor. Freya immediately took note of the green text box of Kamdale. He was next to Botan, the boy who had won against the kypro knife-breaker.

A demoniclast with a clipboard approached her, “Frey, number two-hundred and forty-five?”

“Yes,” she answered.

“You’re partnered with Daveth over there. He’ll explain everything to you.”

Freya raised an eyebrow but obediently headed in the direction the demoniclast pointed. Soon enough, she saw another green text box at the far end of the arena. The man under the textbox waved.

As she walked to him, she glanced at the other pairs around the arena. Many participants had their eyes closed in deep concentration. Some stiffly held the hands of their demoniclast partners. 

“Hello, Frey,” Daveth said. He smiled, “I’m lucky to be paired with you today! Before the last trial, there’s something you need to learn, although I think you already know it. As a shaman apprentice, can you guess what you need to learn?”

Freya nodded. Her recent experience trying to teach her game player friends the skill they called Meridian Manipulation made her recognize the handholding and concentration.

“We have to learn to control our qi.”

“That’s right! All demoniclast swords can be enhanced with qi, so it is important you can use it. Not everyone has potential, so it’s one of the things we test.”

“So, if I already know it, does that mean I’ve passed the third trial?”

Freya looked at him hopefully. 

“Well, not quite,” Daveth said. He gave her an uncanny smile, “You have to use a qi technique against one of us in battle. Only then can you become an apprentice.”

8