Chapter 5
657 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I find myself in a dark room. A room so dark, like an abyss. There is nothing around me, not a single life. Even if I call, no one comes. This place gives a bad feeling, all of my hair is standing up. I cannot comprehend how ominous that place is. After some time, finally something appeared. It was all alone, there was no one else here besides it and me. The aura it gave off was sinister, like a demon.

It was a person. Suddenly it looked at me…

This person was…

I woke up.

[Man, nightmares on my first day in the other world? What a drag, couldn’t it be fantasies of getting serviced by a beautiful onee-san?](Satoru)

Saying that just after waking up I started to dress myself. I then started doing exercises to make my body stay in good shape. I have done push-ups and squats. I also did sit-ups. It only took a little of my time.

(I can’t go looking like a fat pig outside now can I? It also seems I can do twice as much exercises than before. I wonder is it again the fault of that skill? Yosh, I should get going now. The adventurers guild should be open right now.)

I went out of the room and came downstairs. There were already people sitting on the chairs here and there. I sat in the corner again and Maria came to me holding the food. When she placed it on the table, she sat on the other side of it. I ignored her curious look and started eating.

(Honestly, why is this food so delicious? Is it because the chef has high level of cooking skill? Or he is just a talented cook. Anyway the food in this world is amazing, I would like to taste more of those amazing dishes. This steak here is much better than the ones I ate in japan. The sandwiches also, why are they so good? They are just simple sandwiches, but they still can’t compare to the sandwiches Eriko made. The juice is… alright I guess? As long as its refreshing its good enough for me.)

When I was gobbling up the food Maria asked me a question.

[Hey-hey, how is the taste? Does it taste good?](Maria)

I then answered her after chewing and gulping down the steak.

[It is delicious, I have never eaten a better steak, as for the sandwiches they are delicious too.](Satoru)

After I said that she beamed a smile on her face and said.

[He-he, my dad made the steak and I made the sandwiches. I’m still not as good as dad but I will someday reach his level!](Maria)

[Hoo, so you made these sandwiches. Good job, they are pretty good!](Satoru)

I started patting her head. I did it a lot to my little sister. When I did that her cheeks blushed. Is she embarrassed? I then stopped and continued my meal. She had a disappointed expression for an instant and then she went off to do her work. I finished the tasty meal and again placed the empty dishes on the counter. Next I went out from the inn in the direction of the guild. Along the way there were a lot of people walking and talking with each other.

(So there weren’t many people on the road because it was late huh? I should go to the library today. I can’t wait to learn how to cast magic! This is going to be exciting! If I can learn all the skills then I can be all attribute! Oh, im in front of the guild already… My habit of walking faster than the others shows itself once more! It isn’t a bad habit because I can just get faster to the place I want to be in. Anyway I shouldn’t stand here like an idiot and enter.)

I then entered the guild. There were many people in front of the boards. I ignored them all and came to the counter where the receptionist was at. It was the girl that I met before. She smiled to me and started the conversation.

[So you came here, you are quite an early bird. Please wait a second, I will get your guild card.](Receptionist)

She said that and left for the back door again. When she came back she was holding a small plate.

[Here is your guild card, it also makes for an id card so don’t lose it okay? If you lose it you will have to pay for the next one. To activate it you just need to drop your blood on it. Now, do you want me to explain the guild rules?](Receptionist)

[Thank you, I would like it if you explained me the rules.](Satoru)

[Okay, first is the ranks. They represent your ability to other people. You cannot pick a quest that is more than 1 rank above yours. There are 9 ranks: SS,S,A,B,C,D,E,F and G. The G rank is the first rank you get, you will need to do 10 odd job quests to move to rank F. From the rank F you can then start doing normal quests. There are three types of quests. The first is monster extermination, the second is harvesting. The third one is escorting someone or guarding some place. You can upgrade your rank doing these quests or you can rank up after we see that your abilities exceed your rank.

How can we see? Its simple, when you sell the monsters we can partly know your ability. By seeing how many monsters you have hunted and what type. The rules are that the guild doesn’t interfere with brawls or fights between the adventurers. Of course if you damage the building or belongings of the guild you will have to pay for it. Killing adventurers is a crime, but if its in self defense then its okay to kill. If you fail the quest then you will have to pay the double of the reward. In emergency quests you will have to participate or pay the fine. That will be all for now.](Receptionist)

[There isn’t a lot of things to remember there.](Satoru)

[That’s right, so please try to follow the rules. Now then do you wish to do the odd job quests? I have some on hand. Also please call me Emma.](Emma)

(Do I accept them now? I wanted to go the library as fast as possible. Well I will need money anyway so why don’t I do them. The faster I do those the faster I can get G rank. The higher the rank the more money I will get from requests. I will need it for the equipment. Yosh lets do it! I will try to do them as fast as I can!)

[Okay, and what will those requests be Emma-san?](Satoru)

[I will give you three for now, here you go](Emma)

(Hmm, the first one is to move the logs near the entrance to some shop. Ohh there is even a map here that shows the location, how nice. The second one is buying things from a shop for some old woman. Wait isn’t it the same shop that I need to transport the logs to! The third one is also from the old woman, its to uproot the grass in her garden. Can’t you do it yourself?)

[Thank you, I will take those three.](Satoru)

I then took those papers and went out of the guild. I didn’t bat an eye to her astonished expression.

[Even so, I expected you to take one. Well good luck.](Emma)

Those words were muttered but weren’t heard by anyone. I walked in the direction of the gate. That is where the barracks and the logs are supposed to be.

(Yosh, first is the logs quest. Im fired up! Even if I never did anything like that. Well you need to try new things right? Lets not waste any time and lets go! The location of the shop is on the other side of the guild. I can use my item box to store the logs so it will take little of my time. I know that Hugo san told me to not show the others the item box, but I just need to get stronger to protect myself. Hurray for the cheat skills!)

Finishing my thinking I arrived at the barracks. There I asked if Alfred is inside. After some time Alfred came out.

[Hello Satoru, did you come to return the temporary id?](Alfred)

[That is true, however I also came here to do the quest that requires to move some logs.](Satoru)

[Those logs? They are quite heavy you know? I don’t think you will be able to move them alone.](Alfred)

[You don’t need to worry about that. I have special way to do that. I’m returning the temporary id, here.](Satoru)

As I said that I handed him the temporary id, he took it and spoke to me

[Come with me, I will guide you to where the logs are.](Alfred)

I followed him. We went to a storehouse where the logs were. I put them in the item box and ignored the dumbfounded expression of Alfred. Next I went to the shop and delivered the logs. I then did the other 2 quests. They weren’t that hard to do so it didn’t take that much time. I tried to take the grass into the item box directly from the ground. When it succeeded I wanted to hit myself. Why didn’t I try it the first time I gathered the herbs?! Even if I made a discovery I wasn’t all that happy. I then called the old woman and got the stamp on the quest. I returned to the guild as fast as I could. When I got all the way to the reception desk I again came to the receptionist. This time there was a line of people here. I waited in the line until it was my turn. She was astonished when I handed her all of the quests papers.

[You already finished them?! How did you even do that?! And in so little time too?](Receptionist)

[I guess? I just did them in my pace so... Can I get the reward now?](Satoru)

[Oh yes, here is the pay. All in all its 3 silver coins.](Emma)

(Sweet, with this I can stay for 5 nights more. I need to buy a sword or a dagger for myself though. Guess I will need to do more odd jobs like these. They are pretty easy to do and the pay is so so.)

I took the money and left, the sun was still high up. Finally having free time I went to the library. When I got there I went inside. There was a lot of bookshelf’s everywhere. I asked the man who I assumed was a clerk on the location of the several subjects I wanted to read. He then handed me a note. On the note there was the numbers and shelves where I could find the books with that I wanted. Feeling quite grateful for his help I started picking the books that I wanted to check.

(First is magic obviously, next I want to know more about alchemy. It seems I’m pretty lucky to find them as there are only two of them. One for beginners and one for experienced alchemists. The last books should be about the place that im at. I should also look into the monetary system. I will need to know which kingdom summoned the heroes. But I didn’t even hear the name of it. I guess I will leave it for later, when I get to talk with the goddess. I also should get a map of this whole region. This city will be my temporary base after all.)

As I sat down with all the gathered books I started to read them.

6