001 – Welcome to Asgard
499 10 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Push! Push! Harder! Keep going! You can do it, Honey! Just a bit more! I love you so much!”

Lilith dug her nails into the steel bars of the hospital bed. Deep breaths. She exhaled, and pushed. Again. And again. Harder. Even harder! She summoned every last ounce of her strength and gave one final push. A searing pain ignited in her body as the precious creature that had been incubating in her womb the past nine months finally tore through her. The delivery room trembled in fear from the fury of her screams.

Time stopped.

Silence.

And then, a baby's cry.

Cheers erupted in the room.

Lilith collapsed backwards into the pillow, completely spent. Her head felt warm and tingling with sweat. The room seemed to float. She could really use a nap right now.

Kristof caressed her face. “Babe, you did it. You are so strong. And beautiful. God, I love you!”

A smiling nurse came and gently lowered a cloth-wrapped baby into Lilith's arms. “Congratulations. It's a boy.”

Lilith wanted to wish him away during the seventeen hours of torture, but now as she gazed into the baby boy's brown eyes, all was forgiven. Tears of joy streamed effortlessly down her sore cheeks. “Hi, Erik.”

A sudden chill shot down her spine. Her body jerked erratically. The world before her spun like a mad merry-go-round.

“What's wrong, Lilith?” Kristof's voice was shaky.

“She's lost a lot of blood,” the doctor explained.

Her husband's figure flashed in and out of view. “Well, do something!”

“Sir, you'll have to wait outside.”

“No, I wanna be here with her.”

“Sir, please!”

“Alright, okay! Please, please don't let her die. She can't die. She can't!” Kristof's desperate eyes met Lilith's briefly. “Honey, you gotta be strong, okay? You'll get through this. I love you!”

She felt several jolts to her body as the doctors and nurses tried to save her.

Machines beeped ominously.

The world blurred. Then darkened.

Pain fizzled away.

Sounds became distant echoes.

Silence.

And then, Lilith saw herself. She stared wistfully at the lifeless body floating in the void.

I died...

An eternity passed.

Who knew death would be so...boring? She had had many thoughts about the afterlife, but this was her worst fear: drifting about in a sea of nothingness.

As if to mock her, an invisible force dragged her soul mercilessly across the void. With no means to protest, she let herself be pulled in all directions. Wherever it was taking her, she wished there would be light there.

An eternity passed a second time.

In the darkness, a body appeared. It looked pure, like a blank canvas waiting for someone to fill it with colours.

Lilith approached the glowing entity and placed a hand on it.

A wave of light filled her world.

Her soul flushed with a new fire.

She felt alive.

The sun's warmth caressed her face. Lilith squinted, raising a hand to shield her eyes from the blinding light. The surface below her felt cold and stony. She lifted her body off the icy block that was her bed and rose to her feet. A gentle breeze swept by, tickling her nostrils with the scents of nature. She inhaled deep, then sighed. A smile.

After taking a moment to collect her senses, she noticed her peculiar new attire: breeches, a green gown, an embroidered tunic, and red leather boots from another era. A silver chain with a crystal pendant hung from her neck.

She turned her attention to the surroundings.

Where am I?

Plants of every colour scattered across the luscious green field that flowed all the way to the horizon. Lilith tiptoed through the grass, carefully making her way towards a wisteria tree nearby. She marveled at the beautiful giant, its powerful branches adorned with a vibrant coat of purple flowers that hung over a pond.

From behind the tree, a horse appeared and approached. Lilith's heart skipped several beats, but its calm gait reassured her that it was friendly. Extending a cautious hand, she stroked the brown beast's mane, which felt like warm silk. It brushed its nose against her, fawning. She blushed. Lilith grew up on a farm but never knew a horse could make her heart melt.

We'll be good friends, won't we?

It let out a soft whinny, then went to lie down next to the wisteria.

Lilith could almost stare at the beast forever, but a sudden thirst hit her. She stepped over to the pond and knelt to take a sip of water. Before her hands broke the mirror-like surface, she saw her reflection and gasped.

Is that me!?

Long, ashen hair. Emerald eyes. Lips like peaches. Combined with her outfit she could pass as royalty of some kingdom, yet she felt oddly misplaced. Who was she supposed to be?

“Good morning, Valkyrie.”

Startled by the deep voice, she sprung to her feet. “Who's there?” Her eyes searched for the source, but there was no one.

“Up here.”

Lilith steeled her nerves and slowly rolled her eyes upwards to face the stranger. Instead of a man, she saw a raven perched on a branch, cocking its head left and right.

“Quoth!” the raven said. “I'm Sven.”

A talking bird!

She took a step backwards. “Uh, hello?”

“Welcome to Asgard.”

“Asgard?”

“I've waited a long time for your arrival.” The bird took to the sky and hovered around her. “I see you've met Gyllir.”

At the mention of its name, the horse stood up and neighed.

“A loyal companion he will be ‘til the day he draws his last breath.”

From the moment she woke up, Lilith encountered one strange thing after another. She wanted answers now more than ever, even if they came from a talking bird. “Who are you and what is this place?”

“I'm Sven, and this is Asgard, home of the Aesir.” The raven continued to circle her. “Odin, Allfather of the universe, has chosen you as Valkyrie. Memories from your past life have been expunged. You now have one sole purpose: gather Midgard's heroes and send them to Valhalla.”

“I don't understand. Kristof, does he know I’m…?” Lilith could hardly believe it herself. One moment she was holding her newborn child. Now, she was conversing with a bird in some bizarre new world.

Sven landed on her shoulder and started pecking at her head. “Memories, be gone!”

“Hey, stop that!” She brushed him aside. The pendant around her neck flashed red, as if to reveal her frustration.

“Mimir’s Eye is glowing!”

“What does that mean?”

Sven shot off.

“Wait!”

The raven’s voice rumbled. “Follow me!”

Lilith hesitated, but curiosity won over fear. She instinctively leapt onto the horse. Gyllir sensed her desire and bounded after the raven. She grabbed his mane, leaned forward, and braced herself.

The wind tore through her hair. Beyond the wisteria tree, the meadows rippled with colour as cotton-like clouds swam across the azure sky. Snow-capped mountains rose from the horizon. Lilith’s heart synchronized with Gyllir’s gallops, each thump lifting her closer to a state of euphoria. She held her breath tight, as if exhaling would wake her from this fantastical dream.

Suddenly, the ground in front of them seemed to fold upwards. Million of trees emerged, revealing a valley of unimaginable depth. The field was not endless after all; they were storming towards a cliff.

“Gyllir, stop!” Lilith arched her back and tugged on the horse’s mane.

Instead of stopping, Gyllir doubled his speed. The instant his hoofs touched the edge of the precipice, he soared into the air.

Lilith’s heart stopped. Her hands lost grip, and she fell.

The world wobbled, then flushed to darkness.

She screamed into the abyss.

Gyllir swooped under and caught her.

Lilith found her bearings and hung on for dear life; she wasn’t going to lose it again.

The horse raised his neck to check on her.

“Thank you.” It struck her then that they were flying. “Oh my god…”

Asgard opened before her eyes. The area she woke up in was but a mere speck behind her. Mountains, rivers, and valleys all vied for her gaze. As glorious as they were, they paled in comparison to the colossus that pierced the earth and sky.

Is that…a tree?

It was the making of fantasies, a life form so spectacular its innumerable limbs spanned the entire world and held up heaven itself.

Yet there were no oceans; the land was surrounded by a shimmering layer of mist. A mysterious rainbow arched downwards through it, as if it were a bridge to another realm.

Lilith finally spotted Sven in the distance gliding towards what looked to be a city. Magnificent structures too perfect to have been carved by nature zoomed closer and closer. As Gyllir began the descent, her eyes caught sight of human faces, something that relieved her and made her nervous at the same time.

I wonder if they are like me…

 

Gyllir lowered her at the outskirts, where immediately a crowd of people started to form around them.

“Feast your eyes on Asgard’s newest death maiden,” Sven announced, zipping through to clear a path with his wings. “But do not obstruct, for the Valkyrie has urgent matters at the Hall of Hrestyi. Thank you!”

A flurry of words came from the crowd.

“Welcome to Vestfold, the most cultured city in all of Asgard!”

“If you shall require any assistance, do not hesitate to visit my shop!”

“Make the Aesir proud, Lady Valkyrie!”

Folks eyed Lilith with awe and admiration, as if she were some rare treasure being paraded down the streets. To her Gyllir was far more worthy, but it seemed she held some sort of celebrity status.

This is so embarrassing…

Vestfold oozed with otherworldly charm. Lilith would give her hair to live in any one of the stone houses they passed, each adorned with colourful windows and a fancy roof. She marveled at the physics-defying stream that flowed from the majestic valley up the mountain, then beyond its peak and into the clouds. What amazed her most, though, was a squirrel playing the flute, while two goats sang and danced to the quirky melody.

Sven waved her towards a field, in the center of which stood a pantheon of pure white. From afar it resembled an art piece more so than a place of function. When she got closer, she decided it could serve both purposes.

“It is time, Valkyrie.” The raven spoke to her from atop a statue. “A hero awaits in the Hall of Hrestyi.”

Mystical runes glowed above the building’s hollow entrance, beckoning Lilith to enter. Her body moved with familiarity and purpose, while her mind still raced to catch up.

Inside, torches lit the narrow corridor, revealing elaborate murals that told the story of a bloody history between two factions.

“The Aesir-Vanir War,” Sven said as he perched onto her shoulder. “Glory days.”

Lilith suspected this might be a museum or a burial site for the dead. Certainly, no one lived here from what she could tell. Yet, she felt an indescribable force pulling her forward; the crystal pendant on her chest pulsated with life.

She soon found herself in a circular hall. There, a pillar of light rose from the edges of an elevated platform, where a young boy holding a spear stood, frozen in time. Something stirred inside her. “Wha—Who is he?”

“A Midgardian,” Sven replied. “A denizen from the realm of the humans who recently perished in battle. The System detected an unusually high level of hero energy from this boy and intercepted his soul during transmigration. He may be of worth to Odin. As Valkyrie, you shall decide his fate: welcome him to Asgard or send him to Hel.”

Decide his fate? Lilith balked. “No, I…I don’t even know what’s going on!”

“This is your duty, Valkyrie.” Sven’s voice was deep and stern. “A sacred promise to the Allfather on which you cannot renege.”

“But I never had a choice…”

“Odin chose you.”

“…What am I supposed to do?”

“Acknowledge the hero.” The raven flew over to the podium in front of the light barrier and pointed his beak at something. “The Tablet of Death reveals his final moments in Midgard. Rest your hands on it to learn the boy’s story, then decide his fate.”

Lilith’s heart tremored. Slowly, she approached the podium, closed her eyes, and touched the tablet’s surface.

~*~

Terror swept through the village of Arendal as raiders brandishing swords and axes made their way inland. Helpless folks fled into the forest, while the stubborn took up arms to defend their home.

Sigurd grabbed a spear and joined the effort to form a human blockade from the coast to the houses. Death was certain for these brave souls, but if it provided time for the rest of their kinsmen to escape, it would be worth it.

“Sigurd!” someone shouted. “What are you doing here?”

“Father…”

“I told you to run.”

Sigurd stared hatefully at the barbarians storming closer. “These Viking bastards will face me today.”

“No.” His father grabbed him by the shoulders. “Listen to me. Arendal is doomed. Take your sister and flee to Engesland!"

“I want to fight, Father!”

“Nisse needs you!”

The Vikings roared with the power of a thousand bears, their battle cry so terrifying that it instantly shattered the spirit of those who dared face them. Chaos erupted. In mere moments, the once pure grass of Arendal was painted with fresh blood.

Sigurd swung his spear at a Viking, missed, and saw the enemy’s sword carve along his forehead and slice open his left eye. A follow-up blunt blow to the gut sent him crashing to the ground. He wheeled in pain and choked on his own vomit. With death just a breath away, he cursed the gods for not allowing him to do more.

Then, he heard the sickening squelch of steel entering flesh. Scrambling to his feet, Sigurd saw his father on the ground, clutching the Viking’s legs, while the enemy casually stabbed him again and again.

“Run…!” the old man heaved as life faded from his eyes.

Sigurd grew delirious, fumbling his way over severed limbs and headless corpses. The world fell silent. He didn’t look back, for that would waste him precious time. Only one thing mattered. Despite his limited vision, he managed to find his house.

Inside, he scanned around frantically. “Nisse! Where are you? Nisse!?”

A little girl crawled out from under the bed with a doll clutched between her hands. “Sigurd, I’m scared.”

Sigurd hugged his sister, cherishing what may be their last moment together. Blood from his eye dripped onto the doll. He exhaled a shaky breath.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

“We have to go,” Sigurd whispered.

“Is anyone home?” a maniacal voice mocked them.

Nisse squealed with fear.

“You run and you do not look back, understood? I’ll be right behind you.”

She nodded.

The two fled through a window, just as the door broke down with a loud thud.

Outside, the Vikings were scouring the bodies of their victims for loot, jabbing at them with their swords to ensure they were dead.

Nisse whimpered and wept as she ran.

“Into the forest!” Sigurd encouraged. “The trees will protect you.”

Their pursuer thundered closer and closer, until Sigurd saw the man’s shadow loom over them. He turned around and swung his spear, but the strike missed. The Viking knocked the weapon out of his hand and sliced his leg half open. Sigurd collapsed in agony.

“You’re dead meat.” The Viking crouched over him and raised his sword to deal the finishing blow.

Sigurd’s hands fumbled around and found his spear. Summoning the might of the gods, he plunged the metal through the enemy’s neck. The Viking froze in shock, then toppled over.

In the peripheral of his vision, Sigurd saw Nisse disappear into the forest and sighed. A thought crossed his mind. He hoped his sister wouldn’t be mad at him for staining her doll.

Someone came and stared at him.

He stared back.

“You killed one of my men,” the man said, with an air of surprise and amusement. He planted a foot on the body and pulled the spear out. “What a careless cunt.”

Sigurd chuckled and coughed up blood. His time was up, and he knew it. With the last of his strength, he maneuvered himself over to a tree and leaned back on the trunk, ready for what was to come.

“I am Jarl of the Eagle Clan,” the man told him, then placed the tip of his sword against Sigurd’s chest. “Your fight is over, young warrior.”

The earth trembled as the blade pierced his body.

“May you be rewarded in the afterlife.”

Sigurd gazed at the sky and smiled when he saw the shimmering arches of Bifrost.

~*~

Lilith retracted her hands from the tablet as if it were fire.

Sven looked up at her. “What will you do, Valkyrie? Welcome him to Asgard? Or send him to Hel?”

“Welcome him to Asgard, of course!” she said, growing emotional.

The light barrier faded away, and the boy’s eyes flickered with life. He stepped down from the platform, beaming with pride. “I am Sigurd of Arendal. An honour to meet you, Valkyrie.”

She smiled faintly, fighting back tears.

“I am ready to serve. Call on me anytime, my Lady.” And with those words, he marched out of the hall.

“Well done,” the raven said.

Lilith collapsed to the floor and broke down.

“What is this?” He eyed her with skepticism. “A Valkyrie with feelings...How strange. It must be a residual effect of the transmigration process.”

“I…I’ve just never seen so much violence before…”

“Quoth! So very strange. A glitch, perhaps? Nevertheless, we will now assess your first Einherjar.” Sven waved a wing, and a thick book magically appeared in her hands and opened itself to the first page. “Look here! The boy’s details have been recorded in the Tome of Heroes.”

Name: Sigurd
Age: 14
Hometown: Arendal

Hero Energy: 72
Loyalty: 50
Charisma: 35

Skills: Spear [1]
Perks: Courage. As a leader, he provides a boost to the party’s courage when facing enemies and other dangers.
Downfalls: Recklessness. His rash decisions may expose his party to dangers.

Items: None

 

“Sigurd of Arendal will make a fine addition to Odin’s forces…one day. His hero energy is impressive, but his other traits need development. You must train him. Use him on missions. And when he is ready, send him to Valhalla.”

Lilith tuned out.

Images of blood and death reeled through her mind.

What kind of sick world is this!?

Why was I chosen?

…Is there a way to leave Asgard?

At that moment, she desperately wished for Kristof and Erik to be by her side.

12