005 – Loki’s Game
142 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lilith set off for the Midsummer Festival in Folkvang, a land beyond the mists ruled by the goddess Freyja. Sven flew next to her and Gyllir, updating her on the status of the Einherjars and other matters.

“With the darkling taken care of, your reputation has risen by two points,” the raven told her. “It is now at a grand total of…two.”

“That’s great,” she said, unenthusiastically.

“On their return to Vestfold, Sigurd and Karina discovered a D-class dungeon. I do not know how it escaped my Raven Eye. Nevertheless, Brunhilde has been informed. She will dispatch the necessary forces to eliminate the evil spawn.”

“Wonderful.”

“They expect a reward.”

“Who?”

“Sigurd and Karina.”

“Oh...” Lilith had not considered that at all, but it made sense. She would have to find a gift for them at the festival. “Thank you, Sven.”

“You still have much to learn, Valkyrie,” he said, pecking at her shoulder for emphasis.

Lilith did not doubt that. In the past several days, she had welcomed two more heroes to Asgard. One of them was Marten, a Viking who suffered a fatal wound while dueling with a peer over ownership of a female slave. The other recruit was Karina’s friend, Aaren. Believing that Brodric was responsible for her murder, he foolishly journeyed to Rysstad to seek revenge. In the end he lost his life at the hands of the prince’s guards.

Marten possessed extraordinary talents, but his vices and lack of loyalty were major problems. Lilith tried to send him on missions but was promptly ignored. It seemed he had plans of his own.

Name: Marten
Age: 38
Hometown: Grimstad

Hero Energy: 82
Loyalty: 20
Charisma: 60

Skills: Sword [5], Axe [5]
Perks: Warrior Spirit. Never backs down from a fight. His power increases as he is closer to death.
Downfalls: Lust. His strong desire for women, favour points, and reputation may lead him to make questionable choices.

Items: None

On the other hand, Aaren was extremely loyal but had little to offer.

Name: Aaren
Age: 20
Hometown: Stavanger

Hero Energy: 25
Loyalty: 83
Charisma: 14

Skills: Sword [1], Research [3]
Perks: Hard worker. He will do a task all the way to its end.
Downfalls: Recklessness. His rash decisions may expose his party to dangers.

Items: Dainsleif

Sven ultimately questioned the decision, telling her, “You must be more selective. Not every soul deserves a chance at glory.”

Lilith expressed to him her intention. “I’m welcoming every hero to Asgard. No one is going to Hel.” It sounded like such a horrible fate.

“And the Dainsleif is wasted on an Einherjar like Aaren.”

“It’s useless to me.” Truth be told, she was sick of carrying the sword around. It got in the way during her rides with Gyllir.

“I do not understand you, Valkyrie.”

 

Lilith had been in the air for over an hour, her mind ruminating over the contents of Loki’s letter. The sea of mist seemed endless, like the many questions she had for the God of Mischief. And just before her patience boiled over, she saw land.

Finally! I hope he hasn’t been waiting long.

Folkvang emerged from the horizon like a sunken city floating to the surface. Gods on flying horses descended towards the heavenly meadows below as massive ships sailing the mist converged inland. At the base of a majestic mountain stood a structure the size of a stadium.

“That’s Sessrumnir,” Sven said. “Its beauty and grandeur are only second to Valhalla.”

Lilith stared awestruck at the seven perfectly carved levels of Sessrumnir. Houses, gardens, sculptures, and what looked to be training grounds decorated each tier from bottom to top, culminating with a glorious temple: Freyja’s residence. Gyllir landed in a courtyard, joining the hundreds of other mingling folks. She normally thrived in large social gatherings, but this event might be a bit out of her realm.

“Lady Valkyrie,” a man called out, as he and his horse landed next to her.

She loosened a bit when she saw the familiar face. “Hermod…and Saga, right?”

“The one and only Messenger for the Gods.” He did a little bow while maintaining eye contact.

At the sight of the black mare, Gyllir neighed an octave higher than usual. The two beasts greeted each other with nuzzles, then flew off to the meadows below.

“Gyllir!” Lilith hoped he didn’t just abandon her.

“Let the two lovebirds graze and frolic.” Sven said. Then, seeing the crowd, he too decided to leave. “On second thought, I shall keep an eye on them. Enjoy the festivities, Valkyrie.”

She grumbled.

“What brings you to Folkvang?” Hermod asked, more inquisitive than polite.

Lilith thought it was obvious. “I’m here for the Midsummer Festival.”

“Yes, the festival.” He stroked his imaginary beard. “I did not expect new Valkyries would be invited…”

“Well, Loki asked me to join…” Before she could finish explaining, the curly-haired man had already moved on to socialize with another guest.

He’s so weird.

“Are you lost, Valkyrie?” rang the grating voice of a girl out of nowhere.

Lilith turned to see Annika, who had a look of disdain on her stony face. It seemed her celebrity status went only as far as Vestfold. At first, she couldn’t remember why this girl had it out for her. But then she saw the basket of red apples in her hands.

“I’m actually waiting for someone,” Lilith offered as she looked around for help.

Where is he…!?

“With your meager reputation, I doubt you are allowed here.” The girl’s voice could shred cheese.

“On the contrary”—Loki slid in between them, and not a moment too soon—“she’s my special guest.”

“Lord Loki…!” Annika stiffened. “I did not realize you knew this woman,” she said, grudgingly, averting her gaze from his eyes. Her loud, condescending voice was now a mouse squeak. “I will leave you two be, then.”

This girl is smitten!

“Sweet Annika, you must show respect to the Valkyrie,” Loki said, his tone both stern and seductive.

Lilith’s mouth curled into a slight smirk. She had thought that Annika was a Valkyrie—which would have explained her attitude—but now it was even more of a mystery.

“Yes, of course.” She nodded coyly at him and then at her. “If you would excuse me, I should make my way to th–”

Loki suddenly swiped an apple from the Annika’s basket.

“Lord Loki, those are for Freyja!” the girl complained.

Ignoring her, he took a big bite and chewed out loud, nodding in approval. Then handing the half-eaten apple to Lilith, he said, “Care to try? It’s very juicy.”

Lilith grinned and politely turned him down. “I am more eager to see what the Midsummer Festival has to offer,” she found herself confidently saying.

It was a signal to the God of Mischief that she wanted to skedaddle, to which he understood perfectly. And so they left the flustered Annika and made their way to the other parts of the courtyard.

Luxurious scents permeated the air and floated around Lilith as she walked. From the sweet honey aroma of mead and wine to the natural fragrance of womanly perfumes, her nostrils were tickled silly by the confusing melange. She paused to appreciate the violin skills of a goat in a suit and wondered if every animal in Asgard had such talents. Although calling them animals might be a tad offensive, considering their very human abilities.

As Lilith toured the space, she couldn’t help but eavesdrop on the many conversations bubbling up everywhere. There was talk of Freyja’s frequently absent husband, Od; the tears she would cry for him whenever he was away; and the Jotnar—powerful giants from the realm of Jotunheim—who wanted to make her their wife. But being a Vanir, the goddess would never deign herself to marry a Jotun.

Of course, this led to the discussion of interspecies affairs, which was evidently quite common. Whispers of a bastard child between an elf and a Midgardian garnered looks of both intrigue and disgust. The most bizarre gossip revolved around Loki’s escapades, where he could supposedly use his shapeshifting ability to seduce and deceive a member of any species, female or male.

“That is categorically untrue!” the God of Mischief half-heartedly rebuffed at the chatty group of goddesses. “But I will admit, my Seidr Magic is second to none.”

The ladies giggled, and then looking at Lilith, one of them said jokingly, “Do not gaze into his eyes, Valkyrie, or you will not escape.”

“They jest,” Loki assured her. “My eyes hold no such powers.”

“You will see, Valkyrie. Or perhaps you will not.”

The ladies shuffled away, giggling, then moved on to a different topic about the hygiene of light elves versus dwarves.

Even without advice, Lilith knew to be wary of Loki. She was quite familiar with his type: charming, narcissistic, and would hang you out to dry once they got what they wanted.

Our conversations will only be about Earth. I’ll make sure of it.

Lilith took a deep breath and exhaled. “Loki…”

“Don’t forget the Lord.”

“Um, yes, Lord Loki…” She paused, suppressing a groan. “About Eart–”

“What is your view of Asgard?”

“My view, what?” Caught off guard, she didn’t know what to make of the question.

“Your impression of this world. I’d like to know your thoughts.” He sauntered ahead of her, taking the lead in their amble around the courtyard.

“But why?”

“Call it…curiosity. I, too, am from another realm. The child of giants, you see. A Jotun. Yet look at me”—he did a spin and chuckled—“slenderer than a sapling! The Aesir, they hate me. And to the Vanir, I’m barely tolerable. But Asgard is my home.” He plopped on a bench and spread his arms on the backrest. “Do you feel at home, Valkyrie?”

Just answer him!

“No…” Lilith didn’t want to offer more than that.

He gestured for her to sit down. “Do you not enjoy being in Asgard?”

She joined him on the bench, but avoided eye contact. “I...I do.” It was a bland answer and only half true.

Loki edged closer, almost breathing down her neck. “But something is missing, isn’t that right?”

What is he trying to get at!?

Lilith gulped and tensed up. “I don’t know what you mean.”

“Family,” he said bluntly.

“What…?” Her mind reeled. Did he mean Kristof and Erik? It dawned on her that she had no idea how she arrived in this world. Reincarnation didn’t explain her memories. The raven had mentioned something about a System glitch. And the Valkyrie Queen called her Elsa. Nothing made sense.

“Breathe, Valkyrie.”

From the corner of her eye, Lilith saw a devious smirk form on the God of Mischief’s face. He was relishing this moment for whatever psychopathic reason. Or perhaps she was overthinking. She willed herself to calm down and not be distracted by his words. “Earth. You promised you would tell me about Earth.”

“Earth…Midgard’s twin separated at birth.” Loki backed away from her and sighed. “I haven’t visited that world in centuries.”

“Centuries?” She had no more hope of understanding this strange man.

“There is so much for you to learn, Lilith.” He rose to his feet and started to walk.

“I kno–” Her heart stopped. She got up to follow him. “What did you call me?”

He ignored her and made his way over to the front of the temple where a large crowd had formed. Annoyance and confusion danced in Lilith’s brain. How did Loki know her name? Silence fell over the courtyard. The answer to that question would have to wait. Something was about to happen.

A woman in a silk white gown emerged from the temple and sashayed down the red carpet. Her long blonde hair, a lavish gold necklace, the steel belt around her waist, all shone brilliantly under the mighty sun. One might consider it a bold display of joy, but the black feather cloak over her shoulders revealed the truth about her current mood. She was sad, and her face did not try to hide it.

That must be Freyja…

Gazing at the entranced audience, the goddess spoke softly, despite the obvious burden in her eyes, “I thank you all for gracing me with your presence. It brings me great joy, even at a time so grim. The twilight of the gods draws closer. Today we will rejoice in food and drinks. Tomorrow we train and prepare for war.”

Everyone turned dour.

“Odin and his ravens are watching. Their knowledge and wisdom will be our compass. But we must do our part.” Freyja looked around her. “As shall the Valkyries.”

Someone nudged Lilith.

The goddess’s voice intensified. “With my and Brunhilde’s leadership, the greatest heroes of Midgard will ascend and fight alongside us in Ragnarok, and we shall be victorious!”

The crowd erupted in cheers.

At that moment, the God of Mischief marched over to her, clapping exuberantly. “Wonderful speech, Freyja. Very eloquent, as always. Powerful words, but a bit lacking in energy.” He chuckled to himself.

“Loki…” The goddess furrowed her brows. “This is no time for humour.”

“Od will return in a month’s time. Cheer up. Rejoice.”

“What mischief are you brewing?”

The tension was thicker than the scent-filled air.

“Mischief? No, no. I merely would like you to meet my guest of honour: Asgard’s newest Valkyrie.” Loki motioned for Lilith to join them. “Come, come. Meet the Freyja, Goddess of Love, Beauty, and War.”

Why is he dragging me into this?

Lilith reluctantly stepped forward as folks fixed their gaze on her. If she was embarrassed when she first arrived in Vestfold, this was a hundred times worse. These gods and goddesses did not think she was a celebrity; they were simply perplexed as to why she deserved such attention.

Freyja looked at Lilith and offered a genuine smile. “Elsa of Engesland. The Blood Queen, as your enemies called you. I wanted you as my hero, but Odin had other plans. No matter. The day will come when we fight alongside each other. I look forward to that day.”

Admiration sparked in the eyes of the crowd.

Loki stifled a laugh.

Lilith realized she had been tricked, used as a punchline in some cruel joke.

Freyja pursed her lips. “You have nothing to say?”

What am I supposed to say!?

“Um, I…Uh, it’s a pleasure to meet yo–?”

“She is not Elsa!” Annika blurted, then stormed forth.

Lilith grew delirious at the unfolding drama that she was suddenly the center of.

The goddess snapped to Annika. “Einherjar, you dare make a scene in my presence?”

“Forgive me, mighty Freyja, but I know in my heart of hearts that the soul inside that body is not Elsa.” She scoffed at Lilith. “This woman can barely hold a sword.”

Lilith had no retort, but she had to say something. “I woke up three days ago. I don’t understand this world or who I’m supposed to be. But maybe…I am Elsa?”

“Elsa was my sister!” Annika screamed, fighting back tears. Her lips trembled. “And you are not her.”

Loki applauded maniacally, and all eyes fell him. “Congratulations! You’ve figured it out. Impeccable timing, Annika.”

Freyja pinched her nose ridge and shook her head. “What is going on here?”

“As the fair Annika deduced, this lady is not Elsa.”

“Then who is she?”

He smirked. “Her name is Lilith…from Earth.”

The crowd gasped and filled the courtyard with loud mumbling.

Lilith felt like she was falling deeper and deeper into abyss of confusion.

“An Earthian?” Freyja sneered at the God of Mischief. “Loki, what have you done…!?”

 

Uh oh. What's going to happen to Lilith?

9