006 – No More Valkyrie
136 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lilith fled the courtyard as fast as she could. The bold stares, the unabashed whispers, she could not take anymore of it. What did she do to deserve this? Her body simmered, bubbles of anger, confusion, and shame bursting in succession inside her. Pushing everyone aside, she ran down Sessrumnir until she reached the meadows.

“Gyllir!” she cried out multiple times in every direction.

The world spun and spun around her, rapidly draining her physical and mental energy.

Where are you?

The familiar clip-clop of horse hooves sounded from the distance and grew with intensity. Lilith turned to see Gyllir, relieved that she still had a friend in this loyal creature. He lowered his back to ease her on, then carried her off and away from the dreadful place that was Folkvang.

Lilith hugged Gyllir tight as she took in deep and desperate breaths. She suddenly realized how foreign the air in Asgard smelled. This world was supposed to be her new home, but it felt more like a mistake.

I never wanted to be a Valkyrie…

She was sick of being summoned and ordered around and toyed with by the gods. Whatever game they were playing, she wanted no part in it. No more Hall of Hrestyi. No more heroes. No more Valkyrie. She ripped the crystal pendant off her neck and threw it into the mist below.

“Valkyrie!” came Sven’s voice from behind.

Lilith groaned, then shouted. “Leave me alone.”

“Mimir’s Eye is glowing.”

She looked back to see the raven, the pendant that she had just thrown away now between his beaks, pulsing red. Her eyes almost rolled off her face. “I don’t care.”

“It is your dut–!”

“Get out of here!”

The raven’s voice faded away. Lilith felt a flash of guilt, but pushed it aside. As much as she liked Sven, he was a self-serving schmuck who only sought to ride her coattails.

Gyllir let out a high-pitched neigh.

“I’m sorry for yelling.” She stroked his mane to calm him down. “Will you please take me to Vestfold?”

He nodded and steered them towards the city.

The flight was long and lonely, and she yearned for company.

 

Lilith arrived in Vestfold to the same celebrity treatment she always got from its residents. News that she was an abomination from the tenth realm hadn’t traveled here yet, it seemed. She should cherish this final bastion of peace; their warm hospitality would no doubt fade the next day.

The sky turned dark. In the distance, Yggdrasil’s emerald lights flickered, while the constant stream caressed Vestfold with its milky glow. Lit up by the natural radiance of plants, the ever-lively streets were nothing short of magical. Consumed by her Valkyrie duties, Lilith had never given this special place the attention it deserved. Her eyes glittered as she meandered the city, smiling at the friendly characters she passed.

She soon found herself strolling through a vibrant night market. Vendors waved random items at her: a hairpin, wool gloves, a plush toy, and magic charms to list a few. Lilith grabbed them all; she didn’t care if they cost one or ten favour points.

“Tea for the dear Valkyrie?” asked an elderly woman holding up a wooden cup.

Lilith took the cup and inhaled the wisps of aroma. Her mind sparked with joy. She placed her lips on the rim for a tentative sip, letting the liquid travel down her throat and warm her core. A sense of peace flowed through her body. “What is this?” she asked, pleasantly surprised by the flavourful beverage.

“A special tonic. It will protect your soul from dark elements.”

Lilith smirked and raised an eyebrow. It sounded like homeopathic hogwash, but what did she know? The tea tasted delicious, and she wasn’t going to let it go to waste.

“Drink. Drink,” the woman encouraged.

She slowly finished the beverage and let out a satisfied burp. “Excuse me.”

The woman grinned. “Have a lovely night.”

Lilith thanked her and continued to tour the city with renewed vigour.

At the city square, a mini fair was in full swing with music and games. From ring toss to a weight guessing, it was all there and with prizes. Lilith felt like a kid again. Excitement overtook her when she saw whac-a-mole, her favourite game.

“Lady Valkyrie!” Sigurd called out, waving to her by the whac-a-mole machine.

“Are you working?” she asked, impressed.

“Yes, as a favour for Bernie, the tavern master.” He offered her a mallet. “Would you like to try?”

Lilith took the mallet and stepped up to the clunky machine. Sigurd counted down from three, then gave her the signal. Out popped a mole from one of the five holes. A devilish grin formed on her face when she saw Loki’s face painted on the head. She raised the mallet and brought her fury down on the God of Mischief. Once. Twice. Fifty times total in under thirty seconds!

“Amazing!” Sigurd said. “A new record for the night.”

Out of air but full of satisfaction, she handed the mallet back to Sigurd. “What did I win?”

“A free stay at the Flaming Rainbow. Congratulations.”

Remembering she still hadn’t rewarded the boy for the successful mission, Lilith told him, “I’d like to gift the prize to you, is that possible?”

Sigurd’s face brightened. “It is. Thank you.”

“Is there something you need? A better spear? Armour, maybe?”

He shook his head. “As long as I may continue serving you, I will be content.”

Lilith had reservations about sending the boy on another dangerous mission. From what Sven relayed to her, Sigurd and Karina suffered injuries from the hunt for the darkling. She could not let that happen again.

“There is one thing…” He hesitated a moment, as if unsure to ask. “My sister, Nisse. Could you perhaps find out if she is safe?”

Lilith nodded, though she had no idea how she would keep the promise.

They parted ways, and she continued her aimless amble around the city. Vestfold’s magic lingered well into the night. The many unique buildings she passed each deserved special attention. Another time, perhaps. Inadvertently, she found herself by the field where the Hall of Hrestyi stood. The mystical runes were visible even from this far. No doubt a hero was waiting for her inside.

I won’t do it.

Just thinking about it put a damper on her mood. There were other Valkyries. They would take care of it. As Lilith made to leave, she saw Karina nearby, gazing at the white pantheon. Out of obligation, she went to check on her.

“Karina,” she said, approaching closer.

The girl acknowledged her with a slight nod. “Good evening, Valkyrie.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Runes. I used to see them in my dreams.”

Lilith had wondered about them for a while. “What do they mean?”

“A magic code. Every spell in the cosmos has one…” Karina’s mind seemed to drift off.

That must be how she learned Fire Magic.

There was no hope for Lilith to understand such a foreign concept. Not that she wanted to. The burden would be insurmountable. Karina’s pained face said it all. Lilith wondered if she had spoken with Aaren. “Are you thinking about Midgard?” she asked instead.

“No,” Karina said bluntly.

“See, I miss my family,” Lilith confessed. She wanted to show empathy, but the thought of Kristof and Erik moving on made her bitter. “Unlike Aaren, they are far from here.”

Karina turned to her with a look of bemusement. “I do not dwell on my past life.”

“I see.” Was she talking about herself? It sounded more like an indictment of Lilith’s thoughts. If dwelling on the past was a crime, Lilith had certainly broken some laws. So what? Her memories were hers to keep. No one could take them from her.

Silence replaced their short banter.

After some time, Aaren appeared by the fountain to their left. He stood idle, staring at the ground and sky, occasionally sneaking a coy glance at them. Karina, too, hesitated, but eventually gave in.

“Good night, Valkyrie,” she said, then made her way over to the patient young man.

Lilith watched them rekindle their relationship and sighed. The free stay at the Flaming Rainbow would have been better for these two.

Out of nowhere, a baby’s cry tugged at her heartstrings. Erik? No. It was just one of the locals with his infant child. She approached the bench where the father sat and offered him the plush toy from the market. He thanked her. The baby looked up at Lilith and giggled.

She ran. Why must she be tortured by the sight of what she lost? It was too cruel.

At the outskirts of town, Lilith caught her breath. Just then, Gyllir descended from the sky. She hoped he wasn’t too mad at her. As she prepared to meet him, she noticed another horse approaching, atop of which sat a woman in a white cloak over a purple gown.

Another Valkyrie? No…It’s Brunhilde!

“Lilith of Earth,” the imposing woman said, hovering mid-air before her. “Come with me.”

Lilith steeled her nerves. Was she in trouble? The Valkyrie Queen’s expression didn’t reveal any cards. “What is this about?”

Brunhilde’s eyes widened. “Come with me.”

There was no other option.

Lilith obeyed and got on Gyllir.

Fifteen minutes later, she found herself inside Valhalla, standing before the Allfather himself.

Pits of fire lined the cold, dark hall. Looming several meters above the floor, Odin gazed down from his throne, where two large ravens perched. Freyja sat legs crossed on a seat below to the left, while Brunhilde sat on the right, leaning on her seat rest, hand under chin.

“Welcome to Valhalla,” Odin uttered, his soft but powerful voice causing the whole room to shiver. “My child. My flesh. My creation. Step forth.”

Beads of sweat formed on Lilith’s face as she inched forward. The air was thick with uncertainty. But one thing was clear: she was being judged. “Wh–?”

“Shhh…” he hushed her.

She bit her lips.

“Do not speak,” said one raven.

“Do not speak,” said the other raven.

Freyja groaned, while Brunhilde yawned.

“Closer,” Odin beckoned.

Lilith’s legs carried her all the way to the steps below the throne. The Allfather towered over her like a black obelisk, his face hidden in the dark, save the haunting glint in his right eye. Four red raven eyes glowered at her.

“Five days,” the Valkyrie Queen said. “That is your time on Asgard. Yet, you’ve only recruited four heroes and eliminated one darkling. For Asgard’s sake, you must do better.”

Lilith wanted to explain herself. “I wil–”

“Quoth! Be quiet, Valkyrie.”

“Quiet!”

These ravens are so annoying!

Freyja scoffed. “The Earthian is not worthy of the vessel you have crafted, Lord Odin. If not for Loki’s chicanery, the warrior queen Elsa’s soul would be in that body. We must rectify this injustice.”

The Allfather sighed. “What do you propose, Freyja?”

“Soul Obliteration.”

What does that mean!?

“And who then will we fuse with the vessel?” Brunhilde chimed in. “Elsa’s soul remains in Loki’s hands.”

Odin coughed twice. “Thor has been tasked with apprehending the brat.”

“That boy is more slippery than an eel,” Freyja said.

“Brunhilde, your thoughts?”

“Ragnarok is at our doorstep. We require every Valkyrie”—Brunhilde cast a glance at Lilith—“no matter how below standard they are.”

But I’ve done my best!

The Valkyrie Queen continued, “Until Elsa’s soul is retrieved, I propose we…keep Lilith.”

“And allow the Earthian to besmirch the vessel?” Freyja scoffed. “You’ve lost your mind, Brunhilde.”

Why does she hate me!?

“By all means, go pluck a random replacement soul from the tranquil fields of Vidblain.”

“Stop talking about me like I’m not here!” Lilith finally blurted.

“Quoth! Naughty girl.”

“Very naughty.”

“Shut up, you dumb birds!”

“Silence!” Freyja’s eyes flashed like lightning.

Suddenly, the hall flushed black. A gold-gloved hand flew towards Lilith and clutched her neck.

My throat…!

Helpless, she felt the sting of coldness paralyze her vocal cords. Her breath became short and sharp. She fumbled with her hands, but found nothing on her neck.

“Enough,” Odin said, his image fading back in. “I have heard your statements. Considering the extraordinary circumstances, my verdict is this: Judgment on the Earthian’s soul shall be postponed until such time as an adequate replacement is ascertained.”

Does this mean they’re letting me go?

Freyja huffed.

“One problem, Lord Odin,” Brunhilde warned. “Lilith’s raven has informed me of a possible…glitch. It would seem her memories are intact. Loki’s finesse, no doubt.”

The Allfather grumbled, the wall and floor cracking in fear of his anger.

“Distractions,” Freyja noted. “That explains her lackluster performance as a Valkyrie. Very well, I shall rectify that at once.” The goddess rose to her feet and removed a feather from her cloak. With a quick shake, the feather disintegrated and reformed itself into a vial of black liquid.

Lilith’s heart raced. She turned to run, but her muscles tensed up, and she fell to the floor, crawling. The goddess’s magic gripped her body.

I can’t move!

“Gentle, Freyja,” the Valkyrie Queen said, but did not intervene.

Freyja approached and lowered herself next to Lilith. Squeezing Lilith’s mouth open, she poured the black liquid in.

No. She can’t do this! Noo!

“Relax, girl. It won’t kill you.” A sinister snicker escaped the cruel goddess’s lips. “Just a tad bitter, this drink. Soon, you will feel drowsy. You will enter a deep slumber. And when you awake again, all your precious memories will be gone. You will not remember any of this. Relax.”

Lilith willed herself to move, but her body would not cooperate. Her heart raced as the liquid flowed down her throat. Dread flooded her entire being.

Oh god no…Please! This can’t be happening! Not my memories! No…I can’t……lose them. Kris..tof…Eri……

“Sweet dreams, Lilith of Earth.”

 

Oh no, poor Lilith! What do you think will happen to her now?

8