011 – A Scent of Earth
80 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Atop a wintry mountain high above the clouds of Vestfold, Lilith immersed herself in a hot springs. Soft, puffy snow whisked by, gently caressing her face as she closed her eyes to think. Brunhilde had once again summoned her to Ithavoll, no doubt for a tongue-lashing for the dungeon fiasco. There was no rush, though; for all she cared the Valkyrie Queen could go read a book or eat a muffin. Lilith had more pressing matters: find Earth.

After the incident that led to Osmond’s death, the Einherjars no longer trusted Aaren—at least not with dungeons and darklings. In their eyes, he had betrayed his duty as a hero. What purpose then did he still have in Asgard?

Aaren had come to her asking to be sent to Hel, but she had a better idea. Punishment wasn’t the answer. He might not be suited for Valhalla—or even fighting—but he still had a role to play.

“The tenth realm, Earth—I would like you to research it for me,” Lilith told him.

Research was one of the boy’s perks after all. Aaren asked no questions; he simply accepted the assignment with quiet relief. She wondered if had found anything.

Lilith sighed and opened her eyes, her breath dancing with the snow for a fleeting moment before vanishing. It was then that the raven came and perched on the rock where her belongings lay.

“The Valkyrie Queen is waiting…” he said.

Let her wait.

Mimir’s Eye glowed like a siren, thankfully without the blaring. Sven’s cocking of the head, left and right, up and down was far more annoying. Lilith took deep breaths.

“Tell Brunhilde to take a nap.” She pointed to the pendant with her chin. “Duty calls.”

“Quoth! Anything else?”

Did he not understand sarcasm? Lilith could never read him. “No. Go to the queen. I will join her shortly.”

And with that, the raven took off.

She got out of the water and quickly dried herself off with a towel.

 

Gyllir took her to the Hall of Hrestyi. A woman around Lilith’s age waited on the platform to be acknowledged. Her named was Inge, as Lilith soon found out from the Tablet of Death. She drowned while fleeing a Viking. As Lilith gasped for air, another hero appeared. This one died a more peaceful death—poisoned. Her name was Brit. Then, a third hero arrived—an elderly man this time. He was luckiest of them all. Passed away in his sleep after saying good night to his lovely wife.

The Tome of Heroes magically fell into Lilith’s hands, nudging at her to peruse its contents.

Name: Inge
Age: 27
Hometown: Grimstad

Hero Energy: 40
Loyalty: 50
Charisma: 70

Skills: Dagger [2], Seidr Magic [2]
Perks: Communication. She conveys thoughts and ideas clearly and succinctly.
Downfalls: Reticence. Outside of her work, she rarely expresses herself to others, which leads to misunderstandings.

Items: None

 

Name: Brit
Age: 33
Hometown: Rysstad

Hero Energy: 5
Loyalty: 50
Charisma: 80

Skills: Cooking [5], Baking [5]
Perks: Hospitality. She enjoys making others feel at ease and at home.
Downfalls: Nosy. She gets involved in everyone’s business.

Items: None

 

Name: Dag
Age: 62
Hometown: Rysstad

Hero Energy: 50
Loyalty: 50
Charisma: 50

Skills: Bow [4], Sword [4], Spear [4]
Perks: Patience. He’s always able to find the perfect moment for words and actions.
Downfalls: Low Energy. It takes him a while to get moving. He exhausts his energy quickly.

Items: None

They could be useful…

Lilith left the hall and headed to the Valkyrie Queen’s residence. Rather than the library, she was escorted through the palace and out to a large court. Dozens of men and women were present, sparring with one another. Among them was Annika, staring death at her as she strolled through the training grounds.

At the opposite end of the court, she saw a woman clad in regal armour. It took Lilith a moment to realize that it was Brunhilde herself. The queen was giving a lesson in fighting to a couple heroes. Her tone was soft, yet stern, directing them with demonstrations. As a teacher herself, Lilith found new respect for the Valkyrie Queen at that moment. It wasn’t just a title. This woman was a warrior. And all these heroes—the deaths she had to have witnessed to recruit them!

Lilith stood still and watched until Brunhilde finished with the two men and made eye contact. “My Queen…”

Brunhilde waved for her to follow, and together, they ambled the perimeter of the training grounds. Lilith kept quiet; she figured there was no need to say anything unless spoken to. The queen fixated on the Einherjars, at times pointing out their flaws, and at other times nodding to herself with tacit approval.

“Osmond was special,” she finally said. “His healing magic was rare, even among Aesirs and Vanirs.”

“I’m sorry.” Lilith didn’t know what else to say. “Aaren…will no longer be assigned on missions.”

Brunhilde’s gaze drifted over to Annika. “Annika is one of the most skilled fighters in Asgard, but her charisma is lacking. Osmond would have survived under stronger leadership.”

So she’s not upset…Then what does she want?

Lilith followed her back to the terrace outside the palace, where they paused to admire the small army before them.

“You have been busy, Lilith of Earth.”

Did I slip up? My memories…no, it’s not possible.

Lilith reminded herself to breathe. “I’m not sure I understand.”

Brunhilde swiped a hand through the air, and a holographic screen appeared.

Name: Lilith
Class: C

Reputation: 37
Favour Points: 5

Heroes Recruited: 9
Heroes in Valhalla: 0

My details…I guess it’s not a surprise the Valkyrie Queen can access it. What else can the gods see?

“A marked improvement to your predecessor,” Brunhilde complimented. “However as an Earthian, you are not well-equipped physically and mentally to train your Einherjars.”

Lilith could feel her face twitch. There were a few choice words she had for this woman, but of course she held her tongue. “What do you recommend?”

“Sigurd and Karina shall now be under my supervision. They will be prepped for the Tournament of Heroes, where the most promising will be sent to Valhalla.”

It would certainly be good for those two, but Lilith didn’t want to give in so easily to the Valkyrie Queen’s request. “I’ll let them know, and they can decide.”

Brunhilde showed signs of breaking composure. “That was not a suggestion, little girl.”

“Marten would also be an excellent candidate.” Lilith laughed inside. She would pay good money to see that Viking wreak havoc up here and Brunhilde throw a fit trying to control him. “His skills are topnotch, as my Queen probably knows.”

“Marten…” She appeared to ponder, genuinely considering the absurd proposal. “The ravens have spotted him in the Takehav Expanse, sailing towards Yggdrasil, it would seem. A curious fellow, that one.”

Lilith wouldn’t mind if he suffered a horrific fate. “Let’s hope Hel gets him.”

Brunhilde gawked at her with incredulity. “We should hope not.”

“He doesn’t deserve to be in Asgard.”

“He is perfect for Asgard. For Valhalla. For Odin!”

How could Brunhilde of all people accept a filthy bastard like Marten? Lilith almost vomited in disgust. So upset, she turned to leave, fighting hard to suppress her anger. “If there’s nothing else, I will be on my way.”

“Lilith…” Brunhilde grabbed her arm. “The Dainsleif I gifted you, how are you finding it?”

She paused to think; the Valkyrie Queen was testing her! “I don’t recall my Queen gifting me such an item.”

Brunhilde released her grip. “It must have been a different sister. The Dainsleif is a legendary sword. You would have no use for it.”

Her snide remarks were getting on Lilith’s nerves. She politely nodded, resisting the urge to scratch the woman’s eyes out. “Duty calls.”

 

Out of curiosity, Lilith wandered into the palace library. She went from shelf to shelf, marveling at the books, running her fingers along the beautiful covers.

“Valkyrie.”

Lilith almost leapt two feet upon seeing a raven on the loveseat in the center of the room. “Sven, you scared me!”

“Fear is an odd trait for a death maiden…” He flew onto her shoulder as if to inspect her. “How was the talk with Brunhilde?”

“It’s not your concern.” She needed to send him away. “Go tell Sigurd and Karina to meet me in the outskirts of Vestfold. I have important news.”

“I could convey the messag—”

I will do it personally.” She shrugged her shoulders, hoping the raven would get the hint to leave.

And he did. With a flap of the wings, he was off.

Lilith waited to make sure he was gone, before resuming her examination of the books. An avid reader, she recognized many of the titles. It was no coincidence. She picked one up and inhaled the scent of its pages. Memories of her childhood on the farm danced around her gently shut eyes. She sighed. The earthly scent was unmistakable.

If the books came from Earth, then there must be a way to get to Earth…

The thought sent waves of joy through her body. Tucking a book under her arms, she left the palace with burning hope.

Gyllir flew her back to Vestfold yet again. Lilith lost count the times she had to rely on the horse to take her to the city. Maybe it made sense to just move there. But what could she afford with just five favour points?

“Lady Valkyrie,” Hermod shouted to her midair. “I have a message for you from Thor.”

Gyllir hovered next to Saga as the Messenger God placed a parchment in Lilith’s hands. And then they were gone.

Lilith thought it was laughable that the Asgardians needed a person to physically deliver letters. With their ability to capture memories of the dead, display information on holographic screens, and track heroes on some sort of GPS system, one would think the gods had email or at least a form of telecommunication. What a strange world this was.

Karina was already there, deep in thought, by the time she arrived. Lilith joined her and explained Brunhilde’s invitation, to which the girl flat out rejected.

“It is not something that interests me,” she said. “Rather…If I may make a different request to the Lady Valkyrie…”

“What do you need?” Lilith asked, almost afraid to hear the answer.

“I wish to go to Alfheim”—Karina hesitated, before explaining—“to learn.”

That’s one of the other realms…

Was it truly for learning or simply a way to avoid Aaren? Whatever the reason, Lilith felt obligated to assist. “I will look into it.”

Karina thanked her and left.

Moments later Sigurd appeared, still downtrodden from the events of the day before. She and Olaf found him bleeding and unconscious at the foot of one of the Nine Fingers. Thanks to some magic ointments, his recovery had already begun, but it was the scars to his pride that would take time to heal. As much as she praised his efforts, Lilith had been unable to bring him out of misery. She hoped the chance to train with Brunhilde would brighten his mood.

“What do you think?” Lilith asked.

There was a hint of a smile on the boy’s face, quickly followed by a furrow of the brows. “It would be an honour to train with the Valkyrie Queen and her heroes, but I do not believe I am ready." He looked to her for affirmation.

“The queen would not have asked if she felt you weren’t,” she assured, though a part of her still felt he was too young to fight. No. She should not let her own bias affect her judgment. A lingering thought surfaced to the forefront of Lilith’s mind, and she dared to voice it. “Olaf and Bjorn are from Engesland.”

Sigurd didn’t immediately catch on. “What relevance is that?”

“Bjorn’s final moments in Midgard revealed that the kingdom took in many refugees from Arendal. You could ask him about that.”

And then he understood. “My sister is safe?”

Olaf had confirmed that the little girl he wanted to help was indeed Nisse, but Lilith didn’t want to let on that she remembered her promise to Sigurd. “I don’t know that name.”

“I see…” He seemed uncertain, but visibly happier. “It’s her, I know it!”

Lilith prayed that she was doing the right thing. “I will make the necessary arrangements for your transfer to Ithavoll.”

Sigurd finally smiled, and her heart warmed at the sight.

 

Mimir’s Eye didn’t bother her the rest of the day. Nor did Sven. And Thor’s letter remained unopened out of an absurd fear of what it might say about Loki. It was best not to interact with him. After all, her experience with the Elite gods had not been positive.

Lilith sat down on a bench and opened the book in her hands. The Thorn Birds was her mother’s favourite. Just touching the pages sent shivers down her spine. Such luck to have come across it in the library.

This is my link to Earth…

Just as she began to read, a goat in a suit approached. “Good evening, Valkyrie.”

Lilith closed the book and set it aside. “Oh, hello…”

“May I join you?”

She didn’t want company, and a talking goat made her more uneasy than she would have thought. But the man—she assumed by his deep voice—had already leaned in to sit. So, she did what made sense. “Actually, I was just leavin—”

“Is that a book?” He sat down and picked it up before she could protest. Eyes literally glowing yellow, the goat revealed his fascination with the object. “An Earthian relic…I haven’t seen one in ages.”

Lilith’s mind stirred. “You know about Earth?”

“Yes, but only through stories.” He gazed up at the stars, seemingly pulled into a reverie of the past. “I used to work in Alfheim as a violinist. Our troupe would perform for the light elves. They had festivals practically everyday where, after a long night of drinks, Lord Freyr would relate to us tales of his travels to the tenth realm.”

“H-How did he travel there?”

“I don’t quite remem—Oh wait, I believe it was through some sort of portal.” The goat bleated, as if to laugh. “He was plenty drunk that time as I recall, so I wouldn’t trust what he said to be fact. The history of Earth is…shrouded in mystery. The Aesirs and Vanirs would rather not talk about it. It may be prudent for the Lady Valkyrie to forget what I said…”

Lilith’s heartrate increased tenfold.

Alfheim…

Some sort of portal…?

I have to get to the bottom of this!

4