015 – Two Souls
340 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lilith felt chills to the bone as Thor flew them into the Domain of the Elite on his chariot. It wasn’t just the fear of imminent doom; overnight, the warm summer air had cooled to a wintry breeze. Her breaths fluttered in the sun as she curled up to preserve heat.

“Where are you taking me?” she asked the God of Thunder, not recognizing her surroundings.

“To Valaskjalf.”

Valaskjalf, Valhalla—what did it matter? They were going to rip her soul out of this body—a body that was never meant for her in the first place. This was Loki’s doing, and she was just a pawn in his sick game. At that moment, she wished she hadn’t reincarnated into Asgard at all. A second chance at life would be welcomed by anyone, but not when it came with the torture of past memories.

The chariot ascended towards a leaf island that hung next to Yggdrasil’s colossal body. A white structure emerged, glistening in the glory of the sun. Its roof made of pure silver would normally impress Lilith, but her dour mood prevented her from appreciating anything. Instead, she felt sickened by the gods egregiously flaunting their power and worth.

Upon arrival, Thor immediately escorted her in, then left. Valaskjalf, it turned out, was not dark and cold like Valhalla; instead, it possessed a peculiar warmth, something that surprised Lilith as she stepped foot inside. A familiar setting soon unfolded: there was a long and grand hall; two annoying ravens; and Asgard’s three most powerful gods waiting for her. This time, though, she would not remain silent.

“Step forth, my child,” Odin said, his powerful voice reverberating along the walls and into her ears.

Lilith proceeded down the black rug with gold seams. Freyja with her feather cloak watched with a permanent scowl, while Brunhilde offered a stern but sympathetic gaze.

Maybe they’ve reconsidered destroying my soul?

Lilith seized that last vestige of hope and mustered her courage. “May I speak?”

The eyes of the three gods widened simultaneously. But then one by one, they returned to normal size. Brunhilde and Freyja gazed up to Odin from their seats, and the Allfather gave a nod of approval.

Freyja put on a fake smile. “Say what you wish, Valkyrie.”

“I know why I’m here,” Lilith began. “You’re going to take my soul, aren’t you?”

“Correct, and we shall destroy it, so that it does not tarnish another vessel.”

At that remark, Brunhilde rolled her eyes. “That has not been decided yet, Freyja. Don’t be so dramatic.”

Sensing an opening, Lilith continued, “I don’t understand this world. I don’t know anything about Ragnarok. I can’t use a sword. I’m a poor judge of heroes. I wish I was more invested in all of this, but I simply don’t have what you’re looking for in a Valkyrie. I don’t want to be a Valkyrie. I just want to be me…my old self again. Why must you destroy my soul? You were able to bring me here. Can you not just send me back to Earth?” She held her breath and waited for their response, unsure if she had effectively conveyed her desires.

Freyja frowned. “How do you still possess your memories? Loki must have something to do with this. No matter. What you seek is futile.”

“Please,” she begged. “I just want to be with my family again. Can’t you make an exception?”

“Foolish girl,” Brunhilde chimed in, shaking her head. “Even if we wanted to, what good would that do? Earth is no more.”

Lilith channeled all her energy into her voice. “I don’t understand your laws, but I know what you’re capable of”—the Valkyrie Queen’s words suddenly registered—“What…what do you mean ‘Earth is no more?’”

At that, all three of them sighed.

“It is as Brunhilde says,” Freyja said with a hint of compassion. “The realm you know and love—the tenth realm, Earth—is no more. It was destroyed over three centuries ago.”

The goddess’s words hit Lilith like a tsunami. Did she hear right? It made no sense. “That’s impossible…I’ve been in Asgard for no more than a month.”

Freyja mockingly chuckled. “Your soul had been resting in Vidblain for centuries, untouched since your Earthly demise, until Loki illicitly plucked and sowed it into this vessel. And it seems that the brat has poisoned your mind with falsehoods and false hope.”

“You’re lying!” Lilith asserted, while grasping for signs that might prove the goddess wrong. “The books in Brunhilde’s library—where did they come from?”

“The last vestiges of a lost realm,” Brunhilde said bluntly, “…salvaged and brought to Asgard ages ago.”

“But Loki showed me images from Earth just yesterday!”

“Loki did not show you the whole truth,” Odin interjected. “Allow me to.”

With the wave of his staff, the roof and walls of Valaskjalf melted away, revealing the outside land and all its splendor. Gazing at the world from within the transparent shell, Lilith felt as if she were a god. Familiar scenes scrolled before her eyes: the city of Vestfold and its residents; endless valleys; the Nine Fingers; Alesund; Folkvang; Bilskirnir; the endless layers of mist; and finally, the Sanctuary and the pond and wisteria.

“You can see all of Asgard from here?” Lilith asked, dumbfounded. It shouldn’t be possible, but there it was before her eyes, undeniable. Sven, Gyllir, her heroes, even Martin—everyone she knew getting on with their day in real time. What she saw was no recording, but rather a livestream. A livestream of every passing moment.

“I can see more than that.” The Allfather slammed the base of his staff into the floor, and his throne began to rise like a beanstalk, higher and higher.

Huginn and Muninn descended towards Lilith and swooped her up and dropped her right next to Odin on his regale chair. There was ample space for two people, but being this close to a god—the God of the Cosmos—made her feel powerless and insignificant, as if she were a child about to be lectured by her father.

Lilith held onto the throne rest with both hands while the world below them shrank, smaller and smaller, until it was no bigger than the size of a pea. Asgard was no more; it was only Odin and her and the ocean of stars glimmering in the infinite darkness. She gasped at the unfathomable sight. “W-What is this?”

“The true power of Mimir’s Eye. From up here, we can observe every corner of the universe.” Odin made some gestures with his fingers, and the scene before them zoomed. A blue and green planet appeared, and then it expanded until the lands and creatures were visible. “This is Midgard as you have seen through the Tablet of Death.”

The towns and people she had only witnessed through the eyes of her dying heroes were now in vivid detail, so close she could hear and touch them. But she kept silent and still, afraid that any abrupt movements would somehow disrupt the world.

“It will not survive Ragnarok.” Odin pinched his fingers, and Midgard shrunk back to the size of a grain of salt. He then waved his palm a few times, cycling through galaxy after galaxy, until what looked to be the Milky Way appeared.

Lilith held her breath as the scene zoomed deep into one of the arms of the spiral galaxy, diving through cluster after cluster of stars, until it locked in on a familiar region: the Solar System. Pluto, Neptune, Uranus—she recognized them from books. Her heart raced. Jupiter sped along. And then Saturn. Millions of asteroids swung by. And then Mars. Lilith’s head felt light as a feather, but she kept her eyes peeled, as if blinking would disconnect her from this out-of-body experience.

“And this is Earth as it is now…” Odin pulled the planet into view.

What appeared didn’t resemble a blue marble with white swirls, but a lump of fiery coal. Lilith grew numb as the view of Earth enlarged to reveal a world of rocks and magma. She allowed her eyes to wander, though her mind failed to digest what she was seeing.

This isn’t real…

“We wanted to reintegrate the tenth realm with the System, but the fire giants wreaked havoc on it before we could succeed. Even Yggdrasil’s waters cannot revive Earth now.”

Images after images panned by; they were all the same: red. There were no trees, no animals, no people. Only rocks. Lilith stopped herself from thinking the one thought that would completely destroy her.

This isn’t real…

“Life is no more. Everyone you know…is dead.”

“Stop making shit up!” she screamed, her anger wrestling with her tears. “None of this is real. I’m sick of all of you playing games with my mind. Just stop! Please! I just…I jut want to go home and be with my family. Send me back to Earth, please! I can’t do this anymore. I can’t. I can’t. This isn’t real. This isn’t real.”

Odin let out a sigh.

Lilith blinked, and Earth was gone.

The throne descended back into the hall, where Freyja and Brunhilde still sat. Huginn and Muninn picked her up once again and lowered her onto the floor. Her legs gave out and she collapsed into a ball. The gods continued to deliberate on her fate, but she didn’t care. She was too numb to think anymore. Her brain had already shut down.

Black curtains drew close over Lilith’s eyes.

Silence.

An invisible force pulled on her in every direction. She felt her body stretch like an elastic band until it could stretch no more and began to tighten.

Is this Soul Obliteration?

At least it didn’t hurt. Soon her entire being would snap, and her life would be over for good. Her life was already over. Kristof and Erik—wherever they were, heaven or hell, she would happily join them. She could only hope.

“Lilith…” came a familiar voice in the void.

Something in Lilith stirred. She couldn’t speak, but her mind was clear as day. Who’s there?

“It’s Loki.”

Loki!? Don’t tell me I have to listen to this dreadful voice for all of eternity! Go away!

“Did you really think I would just let your soul be destroyed?”

Yes. Just let me die in peace!

“No, no, no. Why would I, when you are the key to all my plans? You, Lilith of Earth, will help us win Ragnarok.”

Why won’t he shut up!?

“They ripped your soul from the vessel of the Valkyrie and replaced it with Elsa’s. Fortunately for you, they decided to spare your soul.”

That explains why I still have consciousness…

“And now, I shall put you back where you belong—back into the vessel!”

No, don’t!

“There’s no time to extricate Elsa’s soul. The two of you will have to learn to share one body.”

What!? You are not doing this! Stop! Stop, you bastard!

“No need to thank me.”

Gah! I don’t want this!

But Loki couldn’t hear her.

In the darkness, a body appeared: the vessel of the Valkyrie. It looked pure, like a blank canvas waiting for someone to fill it with colours. Except, it was already filled. The body glowed with life—the life of another soul. Elsa’s soul.

I won’t do this.

“Lilith…” Loki’s voice drawled. “You know what to do. Just touch the vessel, and you will be reborn.”

No.

“Time is of the essence, Lilith.”

No.

“Let me help you.”

An invisible hand grabbed onto Lilith. She tried to fight it, but the force was too strong. Slowly, inch by inch, it carried her closer and closer.

No!

The moment she made contact with the vessel, a wave of light swept through the darkness.

Her soul flushed with a new fire.

She felt alive.

But she didn’t want to…

5