Chapter 72 – Too powerful to keep alive
2k 57 84
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
New Update Schedule: M-W-F/S

I've been posting three times a week every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. Now I want to capture the Monday, Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday crowd. Next update on Friday.

When the Vinleaf shamans sacrificed themselves to kill the monster called "Iah," real magic was lost to humanity. Even the art of making artifacts, which were created by the Vinleaf to help non-shamans cast magic, has been forgotten. Our only hope now is science and technology.

—Doctor Viktor Greve, opening speech, 50th Hessel Conference

Israfel

Freja stood there nodding and making encouraging noises as the doctor droned on and on about his plans.

“It’s too bad the Kraej wouldn’t agree to breed super-intelligent humans via my EL Project. They only wanted stronger and faster soldiers, preferably ones that weren’t too smart. Like your boyfriend there. Like you.”

That got a reaction. Freja jerked her head back as though she’d been slapped.

“Ah, now, now, don’t be upset. You’ll be able to play a very important part in my new and improved EL Project,” said Doctor Greve. He smoothed the lapel of his white lab coat absentmindedly.

“Me?”

“Don’t glare at me, girl. You can help me the same way your mother did,” said Doctor Greve.

“I don’t understand. You said my mother was useless,” said Freja.

“This girl is too powerful to keep alive. After I extract and freeze her ovaries, I’ll need a womb to implant the embryo in. You can serve as the children’s surrogate mother.”

“I see.”

Something in her voice must have warned him because Doctor Greve nimbly dodged the foot that tried to sweep his feet out from under him. He must be enhanced, too, because he moved faster than an old man should be able to. The doctor ran towards the door, which opened before he reached it.

Alfred “The Bloody,” Dierk Kraej’s main enforcer, appeared in the open doorway. Before I could rejoice that we were being rescued, Freja sprang at him. They exchanged blows, but I could see that Alfred was a lot more skilled at hand-to-hand combat than Freja.

Freja and most ELs were trained to fight monsters, not other people. On the other hand, Kraej’s Lifers, including Alfred, were trained to suppress dissidents.

The doctor tried to flee, but one well-placed kick from Freja broke his leg, and he went down, howling. The momentary distraction cost her, however. Alfred’s next punch floored Freja. Before she could recover, he was on her. Handcuffs and legcuffs clicked together, and she was down for the count.

“There’s no time for this,” said Alfred. “We’re leaving with the men. They’ve found your location.”

“It must’ve been this traitor,” said Doctor Greve. He spat on Freja, who glared at him, a murderous look in her eyes. “I should have known she couldn’t be trusted.”

Alfred set Doctor Greve’s leg and cast a heal spell. They exited the warehouse, leaving Freja on the floor. Outside, I could hear the tramping of boots. The rebel ELs? My enhanced senses could barely make out the sound of helicopters coming from far away.

“So, Doctor Greve is your father. Talk about the father-in-law from hell,” I said.

“Shut up,” said Freja.

She bent back until her hands reached her bootlaces. A lockpick was hidden there which she used to free herself just as people burst into the warehouse.

EL soldiers, real ones this time, flooded the room. I saw Villy, William, and others whom I knew. Most of them vanished into the other door to secure the other areas, but some of them stayed to stand guard and free me from my restraints. Moments later, medical staff entered, followed by Magnus Kraej and his Lifers.

“Sir,” said Freja to Kraej. “My apologies. He got away.”

“Doctor Greve? How did he manage that?”

“It was Alfred, just as you suspected,” said Freja.

“Let’s hope the men can find them,” said Kraej, but his tone of voice expressed his doubt.

“I know all of his hidden laboratories. He’s finished,” said Freja.

Magnus nodded then walked to the steel bed where Asteria was.

The medical staff ignored me to focus on Oren, Katja, Sofia, Ravn, and Asteria who were still unconscious.

“Are they alright?” I asked Freja.

“The tranquilizer I used is harmless,” said Freja.

She was looking at the floor again, acting quite unlike herself. Obviously, she was upset because of the scene with her father. It must have been hard acting as a double agent for the Kraej, even if her father was a real piece of work.

I put my arm around Freja’s shoulders. We leaned on the wall in a corner of the room, out of the way of the other soldiers.

“Who shot Asteria in the head?” I asked.

“Alfred. He said she was dangerous.”

“I knew you were keeping your work a secret, but I didn’t think you were involved in something like this,” I said.

“...”

That was my girl, eloquent to a fault.

“So you’re an EL. I knew it. You must be at least a B-class,” I said.

That did it. Freja shoved me off her and tried to kick me in the balls. “You condescending jerk! I’m an A-class!”

The other ELs in the room gaped at her. If I could hear them gossiping amongst themselves, so could Freja.

“I didn’t know there were EL females.”

“A-class, really?”

“I would've thought she’d go for Uriel instead of Israfel.” That was William. I made a rude gesture in his direction.

“Whoever she is, she has terrible taste in men.”

“She must like the ugly, dopey type.”

They were just envious of me. None of them had a girlfriend as beautiful and kickass as Freja.

“Babe, let’s go for dinner after this. I’m so hungry I could eat a dyr,” I said.

“Your treat,” she said.

“I hope we can find a good restaurant. Where are we, anyway?”

“Toftlund.”

But it was not to be. There was the sound of a tremendous explosion. The ground heaved and the medical staff cursed as some of their equipment fell to the floor.

A soldier came running inside, his eyes wild. “Sir! It’s Commander Sariel and… and…”

“Spit it out, man!” said Kraej.

“It’s Commander Seraph,” said the soldier.

Freja ran outside with me following closely at her heels.

I whistled when I saw the inferno of fire, wind, and ice. It was miles away but it must be enormous for it to be visible from here. Alfred and those fake EL soldiers were really in for it now.

Author's note:

  • There you go! Everyone thought that it was Israfel's girlfriend who shot Asteria in the head, but they were all wrong. It was Alfred. This was, of course, planned from the beginning. 
  • Reminder (from chapter 25): " The problem was the oldest Lifer, the one who seemed to be in charge, who looked like Alfred the Bloody, also known as “Iron Hand” from “Tales of Vesterland.” Alfred was a stone-cold killer whose backstory involved countless assassinations."
  • Okay, now that there no more plot twists, what do you think?
  • Asteria's automatic defenses didn't activate because she wasn't hurt. Freja only used a harmless drug, and Asteria didn't think of automatically nullifying drugs/medicine. 🤷‍♀️
  • Please let me know if there are any errors.
  • Thank you for your support!

My first book is now available on Amazon.

Early access chapters are available for as little as $1 on my Patreon.

84