Chapter 1: A Soldier Back Home
5.9k 13 83
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   He knew that he had been fighting hard enough, but when people looked at his records. They seem to look at him with incredible sadness. Not that he doesn’t know what they thought sad was. In all of the wars that have happened in the Magnar-Azia Continent, this was the war that slaughtered forty-two million soldiers on all sides, and fifteen million civilians from the conflict.

To survive the whole war was a feat itself.

“Second Lieutenant, Mavin Tomas, you were from Lazon?”

“Aye, sir.”

“No wonder.”

Mavin gave a crisped salute to the officer-in-charge. He read the dossier in front of Mavin, and by the time he was done, he stood upright and gave Mavin a heart-to-forehead salute. Mavin returned to the salute and took the dossier with him.

“I couldn’t believe it, Sir. How did you survive in the five-year battle?”

“Good aim and fast reflexes.”

It also helped that he knew about the events that will transpire. The dangerous battlefields, the dangerous opponents, and the boons that he had, allowed him to survive the trenches and the shelling of the war. But even so, he barely got out of alive. What was the use of a peak-human body in a field of battle? The Tomas family might be naturally strong, but it doesn’t mean that he could take on artillery fire. Even the noble-blooded people of Magnar-Azia could not do that.

Plus a gun aimed at their forehead was enough to scare these people now. He had been telling them this, but he guessed that they simply don’t believe it only as ‘good aim’ and ‘fast reflexes’. Not that he plans to tell of the gifts of the Tomas Family that had served them well.

He got out of the office and looked at the soldiers returning home. The train that entered the station was filled with soldiers who were scarred from battle. Mavin felt his emotions strained, though he had survived. There were some things on the battlefield that he regretted. People he wanted to save. If Mavin was asked if he regretted fighting. He would answer ‘I did what I was told to, as best as I could.’ And he was sure that those who fought with him would answer the same.

Szilis, the town that he was in was filled with festivities. Though the five-year war had ceased two years ago, the negotiation, the conflicts within the regions, the conquered territories, and the reparations lasted for two years.

He had heard that the 108th nobles of the Empire wanted to land in Dinia and Matanz. From what he could remember those regions were filled with sulfur, silver, and the crude yellowish-black liquid that could be turned into diesel.

The world was in pain, there’s no reason to deny that. But two years of healing had made the world a bit better than before. Of course, ‘better’ doesn’t mean anything when you lost millions of lives for a war that was caused because of mistaken identity.

He was hungry so he entered a shop that allowed him to eat a meal. Seeing the service dress and cape he was wearing, the owner didn’t hesitate to give him a discount. He ordered A plate of steak, and some beverages.

Matanz was part of the Athesian Empire now, and though Bargaz and Menritara got it hard because of the shelling, most of the Matanz Region had been fine.

Inside the shop, some Imperial Soldiers and officers were enjoying their drink. One of the soldiers, drinking with his fellows, took notice of him eating alone.

“Bloody fucking hell,” he sounded excited. “Isn’t that you Mavin!?”

Every eye on the shop turned to where Mavin was. “Kohl Otto, you are alive,” Mavin squeezed out his voice as he ate his steak. Kohl Otto, one of the few remaining members of the Jager Battalion, walked to Mavin with his palms on the clothed table.

“The Ghost of Dinia, what a goddamn honor. Damn, that was three years ago, remember Sinia?”

Kohl Otto looked him in the eye. Mavin nodded upon hearing Sinia. He could remember Sinia, it was a hamlet turned into a fortress by the enemy forces of Pydontiria. There was an uphill battle that required most of the regiments in the region to reach Sinia and take out of the battery planted on top of the hamlet. During those times, he had met the shell-shocked Kohl who was holding on to the picture of his beloved. Mavin was doing reconnaissance that day, and firemen lifted Kohl Otto out of the field, handing him to the ambulancemen who then dragged him to a train in Manti.

“I do. I remember you talking about your lover Maria, and how you brag about it for three days friend.”

“Oh you do remember, I haven’t heard anything other than you still being active,” he leaned closed. “Hey, is it true that you shot the Field Marshal of the Republic?”

“That’s just rumors,” Mavin said. “Are you trying to get me killed by saying that?”

“Oh, I didn’t mean to,” Kohl nodded knowingly. He slid in the chair across him with a beaming smile. Mavin had not forgotten about this perpetual optimism that he naturally possessed.

“Nice that you are alive, Kohl. Next time, try not to say that. I mean, you don’t want people to think that I killed someone important. We still have rats lurking around the neighborhood, so who knows what happens if they misunderstand?” his voice was cold. 

Kohl knew how to read between the lines so he nodded. Then he flushed out that nervous expression of his, replacing it with a smile. “Sorry, I was just curious.”

“I don’t blame you,” Mavin leaned forward, grinning. “Now, you went to hell and back, so tell it to me straight, you’re going to marry your childhood sweetheart or not?”

Kohl’s rather gentle smile was enough to tell what he wanted. This man, who had been fighting in the field, had always carried that picture of his beloved. That beautiful sweetheart of his that kept his hope burning. Mavin had carried this man through fire and brimstone, and he wanted to see Kohl’s face when he reached his beloved Maria finally. Letters aren't enough to truly express what the person wanted. Only through a meeting that they could express it fully.

“I will,” Kohl said determinedly.

“Good,” Mavin grinned. “From what I recall you live in Sudugar, right? You don’t mind if I accompany you and see this sweetheart of yours?”

“Of course not!” his eyes widened in joy. “I’d be happy to introduce the man who saved my life to Maria! I’m leaving this afternoon,” he stopped himself for a moment. “Are you okay not going home? Though Sudugar has a station, it would be easy, but Beisjor is quite far.”

Mavin folded his arms. “You’re saying that to a man who carried you down a hill, skirted around debris, gunfire, and then ran across a field being shelled?”

“Sorry, no, how about we go now?”

The train came early in the afternoon. It was a long train with booths that allowed passengers to take a seat and relax while the train was in transit. It was loud and it was used by the soldiers who were going home. Most of the soldiers sang songs as the train went. There was happiness in their tones, and as they passed every train station, many people were waiting for them.

Kohl and Mavin occupied a booth. Mavin was only below a first lieutenant, and his service dress made it clear that he had been fighting on many battlefields. There were about eight metal bars in his service uniform, on the metal bars was the name of every campaign he had participated in.

If they read the metal bars on his chest, they would surely feel the same way when reading his dossier. Even Kohl, who had been pulled out from hell could only go silent reading the metal bars on his chest. Outside of the window, mountains were blurring. Each mountain is stitched together by a rock formation. The afternoon sun entered through the windowpane, and the train passed through the rounded edges of the mountainside.

“The war sure had done damage to this place.”

There was a mountain that was scorched to black. It was once a rustic mountain slide that was once green. Faunas of trees and different kinds of flowers scorched, all because of the constant push of the enemies.

The train passed, and he could no longer see the mountain slide. He directed his gaze on Kohl who was eager to reach his home. His emotions were showing, the excitement that he had was making him anxious as well.

“It’s not like the train will go faster. Just relax okay?”

Kohl quieted down. He took out the picture of Maria again, staring at her lovely figure. There was a storm of emotions that was happening in his face. “Second Lieutenant, you think she’d still want me?”

“Hmm?” Mavin eyed him.

“I haven’t talked to her for years now.”

“Excuse me?”

“I didn’t write a letter.”

Mavin kneaded his forehead. “I thought you loved her?”

“I did. That’s why who would want to have a dead man as a lover? I thought that everyone knew that one way or another, some of them didn’t want to send a corpse back, not that there would be a corpse left,” he was sullen. Mavin felt his temper rise, and then it was calmed by something cool.

“So you don’t want her to be sad, but instead you made her worried? You do realize that not giving her news would just be more worrisome? Kohl, have you heard that absence makes the heart grow fonder? Think of it, you said to me once that you’ve been with her for years, since you were young, and you somehow think that she’d just forget about you? Did you hit your head before going to war?” Mavin knocked on Kohl’s head.

Kohl dodged Mavin’s knuckles. He still wore that sullen look on him. “She has the right to be happy. But now that I am going home, I feel nervous. I haven’t met her for years now. What if she has a man?”

“If she has one, then it's not her fault, dumbass. You think you can ignore a woman, and make her worry, and when some man comes in, soothe her, takes her heart, who is to blame? You, dumb shit,” Mavin rubbed his scalp. “Look, are you sure that you haven’t gotten a letter or two?”

“None.”

“What about after the war two years ago ended? DID you at least send a letter? You did, right?”

Kohl shook his head. “I haven’t had the time after cleanup. I became a warrant officer, so I was told to instruct the enlisted recruits, teach them how to hold the rifle, and so on.”

“Bullshit, you must be seeing someone else, right?”

“No, of course not!” Kohl protested as if he was wronged. His brows meet as he looks at Mavin. “I only loved Maria from the beginning.”

“Let me get this straight. You love someone so you thought that not telling her that you are still alive, would somehow make her fine? Now, after seven fucking years, almost a decade of fighting, you will return to her, without telling a single fucking thing, and you expect good things? Wow, I thought you loved her more than this, oh stop right there you bastard, don’t give me that fucking look. If she gave her heart to another, you better fucking accept it.”

“I know.”

Kohl looked outside. The afternoon sun started to hide behind the mountains. The lamplights on the train glowed, giving a warm light spreading on the train.

“Look, what were you thinking? I can’t understand this. It’s good that I got a whim to come with you. I want to see what happens.”

Kohl was inwardly wrestling with himself. The thought of seeing Maria excited him, but there was fear that she had found someone while he away. He had probably started to accept that thought as well. After all, who could blame her after seven years of absence?


The train stopped in Sudugar City by two after midnight. With the curfew enforced, most of the stone and brick roads were empty. The lamplight shone the darkest alleys, and there were only a few cars on the road. Most of the Sudugar was still populated with carriages that are pulled by horses. Most of the carriages that are powered by diesel, though popular in large cities, were not looked upon fondly by rustic cities such as Sudugar because of the terrain

Since it was impossible to get out of Sudugar with the curfew. The two head inside the ‘the brown cat’, a roadside inn. What welcomed them was the warm light, there was a hush hubbub as the singer sang a slow song, accompanied by the jazz. Some joined the singing, some sat quietly, basking in the fireplace with their cold drinks.

Mavin arranged for a room, while Kohl started drinking on the counter. Mavin joined him while still wearing his service cape, he drank silently and looked at the inn master cutting a slice of beef. Eating the slice of beef, he put it away on his plate. After a while, he listened to the song sung by the singer, when he felt his eyelids go heavy. He climbed up to his room, and laid on his bed. Mavin wanted to sleep alone.

The brown cat was a famous and big inn, and their beds were soft and worth the coin.

There was a view of the mountainside as well.

After removing his clothes, he sunk into a deep sleep.


The next morning, he got up out of bed, reached out for the basin, washed his face, and sought out the enclosed shower that was the size of a closet in his room. Mavin showered, took out a fresh tunic, and dressed. He wore his service uniform and tied his boots after wrapping his cape around his shoulder. Taking his bag, shouldering it, he left the room.

He walked down to the ground floor where he got a breakfast of ham and eggs. He saw Kohl come down, dressed, and ordering a meal. He joined Mavin, ate their breakfast, listened to the murmurs of the patrons of the Inn, and then finished his meal. He was about to leave when he noticed Mavin sipping on his coffee slowly, eyes unfocused, listening to the mechanical clock just below the mountain deer above the clock.

When the clock reached a minute, Mavin drank his coffee immediately, put the cup down, and gestured for the barmaid. The barmaid smiled at Mavin, her rose-tinted cheeks, her white-toothed smile directed at Mavin. Kohl waited for Mavin outside of the Inn. He was watching the eastern sky, eyes staring a thousand yards away.

With their destination, being Beisjor. The two didn’t waste time in chatter. They started climbing the bucolic countryside. Along the way, they met farmers, travelers, and mountaineers. On their way, they found scouts from the army, measuring the mountains, and mapping out the mountain range.

The scenery changed and they found themselves walking on a dirt path with grass growing on it. Mavin followed silently behind Kohl. Although they have been climbing an uphill path, Mavin didn’t feel tired. Kohl, who was walking the familiar path to his village had a melancholic expression.

“Where did you live?”


Mavin raised a brow. Kohl wasn’t sure what to ask, but then he turned to Mavin again. “I never heard you talk about your home.”

“Oh, I live on Lazon, do you know where it is?”

“That’s south of Dinia, right?”

“Yeah, most of Lazon are mountainside like this. There are steppes but mostly there is impassable terrain that not even the best climbers in my region would dare to climb without equipment. Most of Lazon is either flat grasslands or areas with overgrown trees.”

“Is it true? That there were demifiends? Are they giant monsters?”

Mavin stopped walking, he looked at the stretching river and the wheat field that was growing, giving a glimmer of gold in the morning. “Not giant monsters, hmm, think of them as giant animals that are larger than the usual bear. Think of a bear, but two times larger.”

“And you don’t call it monster!?”

“Of course not, my people are used to these monsters. It’s the tradition of the Strongarm Clan to hunt these beasts down, ah, if you want some of our marinated boar, I’d send it to you.”

“Is it tasty?”

“Of course it is,” Mavin kicked a pebble to the side.

“You should send it to the postman in Sudugar,” Kohl shook his head. ”It will probably rot, hmm, never mind you shouldn’t bother.”

Mavin didn’t say anything. He looked at the well-maintained mountain road. Though they had passed ill-maintained roads. The roads that they were hiking were much better than the usual road. With the weather getting colder, Mavin thought that they should be high up in the mountains. From where he was standing, he could spot the railroad leading to Sraugatey. He had stayed long enough in this part of the continent to know the locations of the major cities and towns. Originally, he was fighting in Sinia, then as the lines moved, he crossed the borders of Pydontiria, fought in the plains of Licea for two months, then to moved Thylos, and then to Ptegi where he spent most of his time hunting heads. When he reached Sidaris, before the borders of Matanz, he found out that he had been fighting for three years in the field.

Mavin fought in Morna, Helekloszek, and stayed for almost a year defending Nakeszenmik City from the combined effort of the Laosians and the Frans who wanted to take Matanz back from the Empire. He had traveled about 900 miles, fighting in places he had never been before. Though he was aware of his boons, it still wondered that he survived the whole war without losing a limb.


Beisjor was certainly a bucolic village with cabins and farms that stretches until the mountainside. Other than the farms, cattle were roaming the pastures. Most of the shepherds were leading their sheep out in the open.

What Mavin didn’t expect was that despite being located a thousand feet above sea level. There were many houses, cabins, and bungalows that were spread around. Not to mention that as they continued to walk, he found a bustling market square.

“This place is lively, for a village located this high.”

Kohl nodded. He was stiff like a statue, obviously nervous, looking around Beisjor with a hint of panic. Seven years was long enough, and even though most of his pay should be going to his parents and lover. Kohl seems like he was lost in his hometown.

“What are you doing?” Mavin patted his back. “You shouldn’t be wary. Goodness, how about just let go of your worries for now? You’re finally home, soldier.”

Kohl shook his head. He walked to the side and covered his hands. Most of the people that went to war didn’t return home, and those who were able to go back home were left scarred and broken by the shelling. Kohl survived because of the strength of his will. Mavin was sure of this. But Kohl was covering his head, head bowed, and crying as freely as he could. The passerby who was walking to the market square looked at him. Noticing the service uniform they wore, their curious stare became a warm smile as they gave a nod to the soldier who found himself back home.

Mavin stood beside Kohl and crossed his arms, waiting in silence for this long-time comrade of his that had been one of the few who didn’t let the war get to him. But when good men like Kohl goes to war, they do so because they only have one thing in their mind.

Protect the ones they love, drive back the invaders from the West. Most of them would not return home and those who would find themselves unable to recognize the hometown that they grew up to. Kohl was one of the lucky ones who still have a home to go to. Some soldiers found their hometowns destroyed by the shelling, barely recognizable, and without a soul to be found. Some soldiers fought in the war for their families, only to find out that their families died because of the conflict.

What was the point of fighting for days and possibly years only to return with nothing? Though the war ended two years ago, the hatred, the rage, and the pain of those who lost their loved ones were burned and etched inside Mavin’s head. He wasn’t just sitting around during the two years, he handled trips around the continent, telling people that their loved ones had died gloriously in battle, protecting the Empire and the place he was born and raised. Some broke at the news, and some screamed at him, asking if their son’s life helped in the victory.

He had answered the same.

“You done?” Mavin asked.

Kohl wiped his eyes with his sleeves, clearly embarrassed by his breakdown. He tried his best to smile, to keep that optimism of him, but he was the type to keep it all in for the sake of keeping that mask of optimism of his.

“I am. Thank you for coming with me. I appreciate it.”

“Well, I came here because of a whim, so don’t think much about it. I know you have done your best, no one here would say otherwise. If they try to criticize you for surviving long enough to see the war over, then I would punch them straight in the face. Look, you’ve been away for almost seven years now, but it doesn’t mean that they would forget about you. Even if you have lost her, as you fear, it’s time to see it through. We still have a lot of time ahead of us, mate. So we better get this over with. Better than running away, having hopes that would betray us.”

Kohl started to go home. Mavin followed behind, weaving through the crowd, watching the timbered houses, cabins, and bungalows that were neatly placed. As they walked deeper into the village, they found a lonesome house next to the road leading to the grassland. Seeing the house, Kohl seems to drag his feet. Mavin watched him silently, letting him take it in that he had come so far.

But as they got closer to the house, Mavin saw Kohl slowing down. He was shaking, his hands and shoulders were badly trembling. The bag he was holding trembled, and his shuddering made him take tiny steps.

There was no one in the house. At least Mavin couldn’t see anyone through the windows. But he could hear there were about three people inside the house. “Come on, you should go. I’ll watch your back, and if you can’t stand, I’d lend you a hand friend.”

Hearing Mavin, Kohl continued walking until he found himself a few meters away from the front door of his house. With this service uniform and cape fluttering about, he was about to take a step into the porch of the house when the door suddenly swung open, revealing a brow-hair woman, wearing a long-skirted dress with a lacy apron, and a headband on her head. Her smile froze, turning into a gasp, eyes shaking.


Like every boy across the world, when the war started, everyone was told to enlist. Kohl had no plans, but the peer pressure of everyone he knew going to war, made him go to war to save face. Of course, he also went to war because he wanted to protect.

“Are you going?”

He was.

“Can’t you just stay?”

He couldn’t.

Two thousand miles across the continent of Magnar-Azia, no boy, young man, and man would stay. Not when every man in their village was going. How could they face anyone who would return while he stayed, and they went to war?

Maria didn’t see her off that day when every man in the village went to war. But he caught sight of her figure hiding within the crowd, then turning away, crying. Kohl couldn’t go back until he fought, and so he went to the train in Sudugar. Arriving at the station, he was given instructions, and the group traveled to Bargaz to be trained.

After learning how to aim, shoot, and the instructions. Each of them was instructed on how to look out for signals, and listen to the orders of their superiors. Leaving Bargaz’s training camp, they traveled ten days in the train, and got out of the train, heading to Sidam, where they saw soldiers occupying Sidam, most of them were cleaning themselves, and pinching the lice off their wool clothing.

Resting on the wide-open barn with the troops, it was when the shelling started that they ran out of the bar. The stare of those who came first bore through them, and the ‘adventure’ that they thought they would be going to was gone, replaced with dread.

The next morning, he saw ambulancemen carrying people to the healing stations. They were called to march, and when they arrive at the base of Sinia, they saw the uphill slope they have to climb. Most of the machinegun was placed facing the slope, ready to tear anyone who was trying to climb the hill. On the other side of this hill were soldiers trying to rush the machinegun encampment even during the day.

Most of them shuddered at the order to form up. The person who held a pistol and saber on both hands readied, and with a whistle ordered everyone to rush the machinegun fire. Within that minute, Kohl saw memories of the past, and among those memories was Maria waiting for him all the time. With grit, he rushed out of the trench and charged alongside the people he grew up with. Most of them were torn to shreds, the ground exploded, and grenades popped off. The heavy shelling made the land roll, and by the time he was halfway through the hill. He was running with only three people on his side.

Then he saw the earth explode and threw him into a shell hole. His vision went black and by the time he was awake, it was dark, and he was the only one in the shell hole. He fished something out of his pocket, it was the picture of Maria. Behind the gray-colored picture was the house of his patients.

“Damn it,” he held the picture tightly, pressing his face on it. He was alone in a shell hole, and the time the soldiers found him, who knows what they would do to him? Kohl shuddered, he heard a sound, and it was then that he saw someone appearing like a ghost. He was about to squeeze the trigger when the person stopped him, he wasn’t able to react as the man held his trigger finger and mouth.

“Mate, do you want to kill us both?”

The voice was calm and impassive. Shaking his head, Kohl saw blue-gray eyes, and dark hair with reddish tinges that were curled around his neck, poking out of the cap he wore. Broad-shouldered and slender, yet muscular as well. He was tall, but he mingled with the shadows well.

“You hurt?”

Kohl didn’t know if he was. The ghost searched him, examining, and found shrapnel buried on his thigh. Noticing the wound, Kohl finally felt the pain, as if he was oblivious to it. “Can you walk?” The ghost asked while wrapping a bandage around his wound.

“Do I look like I can?”

“Well, it won’t be long until the cleanup crew arrives.”

The ghost checked on his weapons and nodded. “Give me your haversack, tie up your rifle, and let’s move. I’ll carry you down the slope, we’ll use the trees to avoid gunfire.”

“They won’t fire, right?”

“They will. If we reach their camp, we’ll kill them. Do you think we won’t after they tore through our friends? No, they wouldn’t’ show mercy unless they could, most of them are already in a pinch, so you’d be lucky if they just leave you alive here. One less soldier not trying to rush them was good for them. Come on, I’ll carry you. What’s your name?”

“Kohl, you?”

“Mavin,” the ghost said. “What were you looking at?”

“A picture of someone.”

“Lover then?”

He grinned as he pulled Kohl into a fireman lift. “Will you be alright?”

“I will be, don’t move, just act like you are a heavy sack. I might not look like it, but I am quite strong.”

Then he suddenly bolted out of the trench. As expected, the soldiers checking the shell holes for any strugglers open fired at them. Mavin sprinted like a speeding horse, dodging the gunfire, using cover, and skirting around the boulders, trees, and fallen down trees while still holding on to Kohl. Many questions came to mind, but seeing someone try so hard to bring him to safety moved Kohl. What kind of person wouldn’t be moved being offered the relief of safety?

It felt like hours and Mavin showed no sense of tiredness. He neared the trench and leaped down where he then saw fellow soldiers pointing their rifles at them. Putting Kohl down, he sat on his bottom and shouted for a medic.

“Brother,” Kohl pulled on Mavin’s wrist. “Thank you.”

Mavin nodded. He came like a ghost and disappeared like one as well. When he was finally able to lift his leg again. Sinia Hill was captured, most of the batteries and emplacement were destroyed, sabotaged, and there were stories of someone picking off soldiers from a distance.

It took a few months for them to reach. He found Mavin eating on his mess-tin. Finding Mavin, he gave him a portion of his ham and talked about his life. Mavin listened quietly as he bragged about Maria. But in truth, he was already afraid that Maria would not dare to see his face again. The thought of returning home, finding someone else other than him beside her, scared him out of his wits. But what could he do when he was the one who didn’t stay? He had to fight. If it wasn’t for Mavin being the right place, who knows what would have happened to him?’

Mavin was like a ghost, and as recon scout charged with finding movements from the enemies. He moved alone, leaving the safety of the trenches, dugouts, and the fortification to scout for potential problems. Though he was called an optimist, he thought that he was just someone good at hiding his face.

He had admired Mavin for staying strong. He looked at the world with such a dispassionate gaze. The last time he saw Mavin, was the last assault to the Capital of Flost. He thought that he wouldn’t be seeing Mavin again, after all, no matter how strong he was. There was a chance that he would be hit by an artillery shell without even seeing it coming.

To his surprise, he would find him against eating alone. Truthfully, he found courage knowing that he was coming with him. If it wasn’t for him reminding him of Maria, Kohl wondered if he had accepted to become an officer near the borders, would he find the courage to go back home?

As they traveled he felt his heart grow heavier. His emotions being gloomier, his temper sullen as they climbed the familiar mountain path of his home. It was then that he saw his hometown once again. Every step he took, made him wonder if he would be welcomed back. At least they would understand why he had to fight, right?

His home had changed. The dirt road was now paved, the market was bustling, and though he couldn’t see any power lines. Kohl knew that the village was changing. He didn’t dally on the market square, he started to where his house, wondering what he should say to his father and mother. How could he face Maria after being away for so long?

But a pat to the back was enough to keep him moving. Again, he was glad that Mavin was around to watch his back. This man truly was his savior.

Then he met eyes with the woman of his life. Hazel eyes, brown hair, and that young yet matured face of her that was from the picture that he had taken seven years ago. Kohl could almost not recognize her if it was not for her eyes. He looked away, ashamed, unable to raise her head.

“Kohl?”

Her voice was familiar. It was her alright. He looked at her fingers, and then looked away. What was he doing? Checking her finger to see if there was a wedding ring? He was a bastard, but he couldn’t help it. Still, he couldn’t look at her in the eyes. Looking at Mavin, he was folding his arms, as if saying, ‘you need to take care of this yourself, Mavin.’.

“Kohl?”

He didn’t answer. Ah, he was a coward. That’s what he thought as he couldn’t bring himself to look at her. What right did you have?

“You’re crying.”

“I am not,” Kohl wiped his tears.

She took a step forward, opening her arms. “Come here.”

Kohl entered the circle of her arms and kneeled. “I am sorry,” he said, body-shaking sobs escaping out of him.

“It’s okay, you being home is good enough.”

“I am sorry.”

He could only apologize.

“I couldn’t have the courage to send a letter. I wanted to, but I was a coward. A stupid goddamn coward.”

“It’s okay, I, I understand what you did. Still, it has been so long, Kohl. I thought you wouldn’t return home.”

“I am sorry.”

“It’s fine,” she said to him again, she urged him to stand up. “Look at you, you have become so handsome,” she wiped her tears. Her voice was shaking. “I guess you come here to get some of your stuff, right? Getting married now?” she jokingly elbowed him, but it came off as desperate.

“I am not. How…how about you?”

“Of course I am not. Hah, do you see me getting married with my temper?”

Kohl shook his head. “Then they are blind not see how beautiful you are,” he took her hand, though afraid, he found the courage to continue. “Maria, seven years ago I left, I don’t know if you have someone in your heart right now, but in the years that I fought. You were my shining light, although I couldn’t send a letter, afraid of what will come if I perish in the field, I am still asking you shamelessly, allow me to court you—”

Kohl couldn’t finish his words as he was wrapped in an embrace. The words that he wanted to get out were stuck in the tip of his tongue, and he could only bury his face on her shoulders, arms wrapping her waist. Separating from her, he looked to the side and saw the person that accompanied him with a smirk on his face.

“You look even happier than me, Mavin.”

“Of course I am,” he said, then looked at Maria who was curious at him. “Miss, do you know how much this bastard irritated me to no end? I would have sworn to all that is holy in this world, I would have smacked him in the face if he dared to run. But, since he didn’t,” he grinned. “Can you finally introduce me to the person you’ve been bragging about?”

Smiling like a fool, she held Maria in front of Mavin. “Mavin, this Maria, the woman in the picture,” he looked at Maria. “Maria, this is Mavin, he’s the person who saved my life during the war.”


Mavin got invited inside their humble home. He met with Kohl’s parents and the way his mother scolded him, made Mavin affirm that it was indeed the right choice to save Kohl. Mavin had been bound by this idea that it was fate. However, when he arrived in this world, he was the young heir of the Tomas Family. His father and mother in this world had been lost. He had to prove himself to a lot of people, and only because he was with his Cousin Derrick they were able to manage Lazon. Though he had handed most of the duties to his cousin.

During the years that he had lived. He knew that eventually, the war would happen. He had conditioned himself and had received boons that made him faster. Of course, he could only do know that it was possible, and the more he had done so, he had thought if he could change things. The memories he had recalled, that the small crude world that was mostly just text boxes and the illustration of characters with their various emotions tied to those.

It was maddening. That the world was like that. Decided by this strange destiny ruled because of certain characters. He wanted to have a confirmation, so why not see it for himself? The Soldier who should have been trapped for eight years was now reunited with the person he loved.

“So things can change huh,” Mavin smiled. He thought of the work he had done ever since coming to this world. Seeing them reunited and happy instead of that awfulness he saw.

“But it looks like I have to watch how that goes, right?”

Mavin folded his arms, smiling at the second-hand happiness he got from them. He didn’t want to intrude on their happiness, after all, the war hero returned to his family and he was sure that they would need to make up for seven years of absence. He left Kohl Otto and his beloved, excusing himself so that he could catch the train.

Kohl insisted that he’d stay for the night, but Mavin bid them goodbye with firmness. He left the village, descended the mountain path, and went back to the inn he last stopped. After a night in the Inn, he went back to Sudugar where he waited for a train heading back to Flost, where the first trouble that comes with those who would affect the world would come.

The dissolution of the treaty of Flost was the tragedy he had to prevent first.

83