Chapter 19: The Prologue Of Their Troubles
1.6k 2 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Natalya had been in a good mood since then. She even bothers caring about the rather insolent mouths of the nobles who had come to jeer at her for being a republican ‘bitch’ that they call every female of the Republic these days. If she didn’t have the favor of three of the most influential people in the Capital’s Heart. She wouldn’t bother being rained with insults. Not that they had the right unless they wanted people to know how the Academy had changed. She was pretty happy. Until she saw through the crack of a door the appearance of the person who could barely talk straight to her act so normal in front of another woman.

Look at you, so easily talking to the prettiest people in the Capital. Even with the Crown Prince as well? Here I thought that you didn’t care about the burden of rule, and here you are, she thought inwardly. Then again, he is probably up to something that relates to his home. You fool who worries too much. Hmm, no wonder, Natalya, you silly fool.

It only lasted a moment. She didn’t want to bother him and she had her own business as well. Lately, she liked wearing the two-button suit and tie and slacks that made her feel comfortable wearing. Underneath her suit was a shoulder holster armed with a pistol. Most of the ‘men’ of the Empire does not expect that a woman would carry a pistol, and even if they did. It was their right so they may protect themselves from anyone who dares to sully their honor.

Pulling on her gray gloves that reaches up to her forearm. She observed the machineries and instruments inside the research division. These large machines were called ‘computers’ and yet she didn’t have any idea how each one worked. Though there are many cables and wires. Seems like they’d weigh about tons, what are they calculating here?

She was sure that they had the same mechanical apparatuses in Dinia. Natalya couldn’t remember them clearly with her lack of interest in such machines.  Natalya got out of this room and went deeper into the research area that was spacious. There were many students who were taking notes as their instructors taught. Natalya blended with the crowd and managed to get past the hubbub of teenagers who were listening adamantly to the Instructors.

Arkadia was famous for being strict with their grades. Those who fail to acquire suitable marks are placed in a probation period where they are evaluated again. Those who do not get passing remarks during this probation period are failed. They would be immediately dropped and would get branded with the dishonor of failing in the Academy. To get such remarks from an ancient academy was the same as being branded useless by the Empire.

Even if they are foolish they wouldn’t dare to become complacent when it comes to this Academy. Those who were able to get inside the Academy through their own competence and wealth treasured their time in the Academy. There are other minor schools and vocational colleges around the Empire, but to become a graduate of the Empire was enough to live a good life. Who wouldn’t dare to employ them knowing where they got their knowledge from?

It was then that she realized that she was in one of the rather lonely sides of the buildings. Most of the people who were working didn't seem to bother and it was only when she had enough of seeing the machines that she had strutted back to the medical department that she had been going to lately. It was then that she saw her friend Hilda standing next to the door that she loosened her face.

“Whoa, did someone slap you? I thought you just went somewhere. Annoyed by the people now?”

“No, how could they annoy me? It’s just that a person who had been rather rude to me had been showing that I am the only one this person is rude to. And here I thought this person had something against speaking to girls.”

“What are you saying?”

Natalya tried to open her mouth, but decided against it. “So, is the Lady inside the laboratory?”

“She is,” they went inside the white halls of the medical department. Natalya looked around the white walls and the sky blue wallpapers that made it…rather too bright inside. Even the incandescent bulbs were getting on her nerves. She strutted while matching Hilda’s legs. When they come to a rather big office. Inside was a partition wall that separated an operating table and the desk holding on to stacks of documents and books.

“Goodness, who is it?” a warm soothing voice filled the air. Natalya turned to where that voice was and found the face of the doll-like girl who honestly had such a charm and spirit in her eyes that made Natalya question why she had been seeing only stoic doctors instead of angels. Nonetheless, Lady Emilia was an angelic woman that naturally made others feel a soft and warm feeling.

“Lady Natalya,” Lady Emilia greeted, lifting the hem of her lab coat. “It’s a pleasure to see you. So you were friends with Miss Hilda?”

“Yes,” Natalya returned the bow.

“Please, I insist that you call me Emilia. This is Arkadia, and I would be pleased if you do so.”

“I see, then Miss Emilia, I shall not tarry. I had come here in hopes that you would do me a favor.”

“Of course, I shall try my best, if it is within reason.”

Natalya started. “Miss, I hope that you speak words to the Headmaster in hopes that he would allow me to attend the piloting lessons. I do wish that you would grant me this wish.”

“Then the Lady knows the current situation of the Academy, yes?”

“Yes, but I am a graduate of this Academy. I am Arkadian, and even though my Duchy had allied with the Republic. It doesn’t change the fact that I was a proud student of this Academy, Miss. All that I asked is that you allow this selfish request of mine.”

“That would have been easy, but the Emperor was the one who had decreed it,” her eyes focused. “Miss Natalya, have you asked the others? I believe that Mildred and Arno owe you too.”

“I have. They have shown support to what I desired.”

“I see. I will allow it. This is nothing compared to what you did for us,” she sighed. “I wish that Sir Tomas would inform us what he wanted.”

Natalya expected that man to ask for nothing, so she wasn’t surprised. Even your name comes out of their mouths now. “Had he not shown himself to you at all, Miss?”

“Not at all.”

Natalya nodded her head at that. Lady Emilia paused for a moment before asking. “Do you mind if I ask you why you decided to become a pilot?”

“Hmm,” Natalya held her chin in thought, “I simply wanted to fly. I saw those Monoplanes back then in the war. They always looked so free and the faces of the pilots were interesting. I had ridden air balloons, but I wanted to soar through the sky with my own doing. To control the direction of the plane, and be like a bird, even if it is just flying inside a contraption.”

Lady Emilia nodded at her answer. Natalya had dreamt of flying those things before. She was fond of many things, but the day she saw the first flying machines had made her realize how small she was in this world. That desire was strengthened by how she saw the map of the continent. She wanted to fly on the skies of Magnar-Azia.

She could not forget that monoplane hovering above the field. It was during the time in the war that a shell almost got her. She was scratched as the shrapnel tore through her uniform, leaving her lying flat on her back. That metal bird flying and dropping bombs was something she could not forget. Natalya desired to be above the skies as well. To be able to see the world from above and bask on the glory of it. She had promised herself that day she would fly one day.

Never in the ground again. Never staring with her ears ringing madly. Her hand reached out as if she wanted to claim the skies for herself. She had always believed that if she does survive this war. She would not hesitate to find a way to fly herself.  That belief was even doubled when she found herself in that hospital after a shot that almost killed her. I wanted to fly before I die. It was a desire that made her cling to life.

Her desire to shoot Mavin in the head was lesser than her desire to fly a plane. Nonetheless, if she could achieve that dream, then she wouldn’t hesitate to use the favor that the three owed them. Listening to Natalya made the Lady of Shina smile at her dreams. Natalya was sure that if she had been a man, she would not hesitate to try and wrap her arms around her and protect her.

“You truly make me want to do this for you. I might have to call in a few favors, but it would take long before they are moved. The situation in the Capital is patriotic, and many would think that if we enroll a foreigner from a former enemy nation. It would become quite the news. I truly do wish to help you, but it will take time. Would that be alright with you?”

“Yes,” Natalya agreed. “I understand the complexity of living in the Empire filled with Hundreds of Nobles trying to be better than their peers. The stress must be quite something.”

Lady Emilia laughed wearily. She sat next to Hilda and pressed her hands on Hilda. Natalya watched the two interact while she got herself taking a seat. Lady Emilia was the most agreeable person she had met, unlike the Crown Prince who had too many questions to ask. Lady Shina was interesting in a way that she was speaking as if she was in a business interaction. If she was asked who she would prefer to speak with, it was obvious that she would prefer the Lady of Shina.

A natural charisma that attracts others, huh, Natalya thought, observing Lady Shina’s gestures, body movements, and the way she pressed the conversation. She was leading Hilda with a few questions, and used those questions to disarm her wariness. Hilda seems to know what she was doing, but had let her, feeling that there was no need to put her guard up when it comes to Lady Shina.

She’s naturally good at getting others to side with her, she noted. That’s to be expected for someone who has the right to become an Empress. Not to mention she is a surgeon and a woman who is fond of a scalpel. To think that someone who looks so angelic could do a gruesome work.  She doesn’t have the nervousness about death, but she was rather horrified at the act of killing in Flost. I guess those rumors of her being not so innocent is true.

The Lady of Shina was known for kindness and charity. Even in the northwest her name was known. She was a woman who had strived to become a surgeon despite the views of men towards women. Nonetheless, she had proved her superiority with the scalpel and she had enough wisdom to understand the hearts and mind of the people, something that the Lady of Anastasia lacked. Nonetheless, she was inferior when it came to bringing prosperity to the Empire. I should watch out, she’s a dangerous one as well. Hmm, no wonder that man was fond of her. So not only because of her beauty, eh?

Now that’s done, Natalya thought. Her purpose in coming to this Academy was this. Other than that, she wondered what else she should pursue while waiting for news.

 


 

As she sat in utter silence.  Lady Shina finally landed her gaze on Hilda after catching up to what she was up. “Pardon me, Miss Natalya, but is the rumors true?”

“Rumors?”

The Lady acted as if she hesitated in asking. Natalya wasn’t sure what she wanted to say, she gave her look of approval. Lady Shina turned her head away for a second before she said. “That you and Sir Tomas are living under the same house?”

“WHAT!?” Hilda erupted.

Natalya gave Hilda a dull look. “Yes, I am currently in the care of the Tomas Family as a guest.”

“And you didn’t tell me?” Hilda asked.

“I thought you would hear by now? There are a lot of long-eared bastards in the city. Wait, you really didn’t know?”

“I didn’t!”

“So it is true, then?” Lady Emilia asked for a confirmation.

“I am in their care. Of course, the one who gave me permission is Sir Fred Duran.”

“Oh,” Hilda calmed after hearing Old Fred’s name. “Old Fred Duran, I had the pleasure of meeting the Old Sir two months ago.”

That was the usual reaction to Old Fred’s name. He was someone who had been a dashing man once upon a time. Though Old Fred had become wrinkled, it didn’t mean that they could forget about Old Fred. There was no one among the Hundred Nobles who treated him badly. He was someone who was either loved or had no care for what he does. Not to mention that he was one of those old grandpa that most of the young ones had grown to like. The enduring blood of Duran was strong in Old Fred, and even now they receive him with respect. How could they not? Knowing that he was a hero who had fought for the Empire, and had shown his loyalty, honored by the Emperors.

“Still, to think that you would be so bold to live with Mavin Tomas of all people!”

“Hmm? Why not? He’s someone agreeable enough to me.”

“I know,” Hilda grumbled. “I didn’t hear much of the heir of the Tomas other than his involvement with Rene Abe and Kristine. I heard that they had been originally enemies that it was Sir Tomas who brought them into becoming…somewhat friends.”

“Was he known?”

“It’s more that Sir Tomas has a way of being involved with troubles,” Lady Emilia began. “He had this habit of being involved with those who have troubled hearts, and if it wasn’t taken care off. I believe that there would have been trouble. Some even believe that he has a way of intruding someone’s life and helping them.”

“Sounds righteous.”

“There were many suspicions on him back then. Many called him a fool and yet it was hard to hate a man who insists to help. He wasn’t doing it for favors, and even it was a show. It was hard to hate someone who would look you in the eye and say that he would help you. Even in the minor squabbles he would be found.”

Natalya hadn’t expected that he had this reputation. “I didn’t know.”

“How would you know?” Hilda snorted. “You were always drinking tea and persuading men to bring you to shooting ranges only to throw them like rag.”

Natalya shook her head. She was rather lost in her own world back then. She pursued her interests and made sure that she would get it. So it came as a surprise to him.

“Did he have problems talking to women?”

Hilda tilted her head. “I don’t think so. He was always a gentleman as far as I recall. A good family and a proper personality that made him quite a bachelor…and that he held the title of Marcher Lord back then.”

“So everyone was after his title.”

“Well…I won’t deny it. He was a rather tall and muscular gentleman even back then.”

Natalya rested the back of her head on the couch. “It seems like he has a strange reputation here.”

“It was rather exemplary,” Lady Emilia said. “But he had no interest other than pursuing what he had come to study. Most of the nobles who came to our Academy had always strived to learn how to rule and manage their finances so they could take care of one’s family business. I believe the Sir had finished his studies in the mechanical division.”

“That reminds me. I don’t think you realized who he was at the party. Why is that?”

“It has been long and let us say that he has changed in a lot of ways,” Lady Emilia said with a rather embarrassed face. “It has been almost eight years since I saw him. So it took a while to remember him. And it happened during that time.”

Natalya could accept that. Hilda folded her arms. Her expression told Natalya that she was rather displeased about this arrangement. “Don’t worry, besides, it would be best if I am in the Tomas Family’s ancestral house. I am not that brainless enough to understand your situation, Hilda. Even if you do insist about it.”

No one sane enough would stay and bother someone even if said person just wants to befriend.  She had been using the Tomas name and the fact that they owe great respect to get lodging and protection. Natalya understood that if she does stay in the Imperial Capital. She would need to have lodging and the backing to do it. With the war officially ending, she would have trouble when it comes to procuring housing and protection. Hilda was her friend and even she wouldn’t dare to stay in the Trey Family if she could help it. The Hundred Nobles are a rather petty bunch that would use anything to get an advantage. She wouldn’t allow them to use this as ammunition against Hilda’s family.


To their surprise they felt a wind of storms conjured and the chuff was heard everywhere. The three of them went out of the left wing department and went behind the main campus building where the wide open dirt field was. The area  was cleared, but above the Arkadian Academy was an airship with two cigar-shaped balloons that kept it from floating above. It carried a steel structure that was rigged to these contraptions. The steel-rig contraption released as the rotors stir and pushed the flying mass.

It was then that it slowly descended to the ground. There was a welcoming party that was laid out on the grounds of the Capital. Specifically, the planes circled around the airship, while on the ground, were pounders that would punch a hole on the balloon that kept it afloat.

Everyone’s eyes were fixed on the flying machine that flew the Holmian Banners. The afternoon sun shading the machine made it imposing. When the dust and dirt started to fall on the ground. The storm that it conjured slowly came to a still.The hatch on the side of this airship opened and a team of men equipped with rigs that went around the user’s bodies. She had no idea what they were for but it gave them an intimidating aura as they jog out of the airship without care despite what they seem to be carrying. A webbing that allowed them to carry their submachine guns and ammunition.

“Will this be alright?”

Natalya traveled her gaze on the flag they carried. It was the Symbol of the Sky Dove that was carrying a blade of wheat on its beak. However, it didn’t stop the receivers of the guest to bring out machine guns and sharpshooters who are ready to fire if necessary.

A black haired man wearing a black, double-breasted tailcoat with blue and gray accents at the cuffs and shoulder pieces. His coat belted at the waist. Underneath, the man wore a white collared shirt and a red tie. He also wears two gray gloves. His suit pants share the same accents, and are tucked in his leather boots. His piercing blue eyes fixated on the party that had come to welcome him.

There was no fear in his movements as he extended his hand to greet the person who had come to meet him. Nikolas Kolsov, the Headmaster of the Arkadian Academy, was someone she recognized. The other man was someone she had no idea who was. She listened in to the murmurs of the students and heard the name ‘ General James Steelheart’ in their mouths.

“General Steelheart?”

“The most accomplished man in Holmia.”

“Any ideas why he had come here?”

“The Vulcan Technology.”

“What’s that?”

Lady Emilia didn’t reply. She fixed her gaze on the machines with interest. “It looks like there are delegates that had come to discuss the matter.”

“Hilda?”

Hilda turned, “There have been rumors that Webman Company is cooperating with the Holmians to further develop the technology and produce the Vulcans on Memepan. That’s what I heard from my associates, at least.”

She couldn’t hear because of how far away they were. Not to mention that the humming of their machine made her hear less of what they were saying. It was then that two more figures appeared from the campus.

“Oh, it’s Rene and Kristine,” Hilda pointed out. Natalya swiveled her gaze to where they were and saw the two holding hands while running together to welcome the guests. Then, not far from the entrance, Natalya spied three figures watching them. She could recognize the Prince and the Lady of Anastasia, but Mavin’s expression made her brows met. Why are you looking like a proud dad you fool?

She was clueless on why that man was more happy seeing the two run together. Not at least interested in the hulking airship that had landed in the center of the field. 

“Looks like Miss Mildred and his majesty, the Crown Prince.”

Hilda swung her head to where she was looking at and spotted them. She was about to say something when she noticed Mavin standing a step behind them. She looked at Natalya with a curious expression. “You’re living with him right now?”

“Yes.”

“That man? That tall brooding man?”

“Brooding?”

Natalya turned to them again. Mavin’s face had returned to that placid expression he always wore. It was not a frown or a smile either. As if he had been extracted out of his body and was a spectator.

“You call that ‘brooding’, Hilda? I think you need to get your eyes checked,” snorted Natalya.

Hilda tilted her head, wondering if Natalya was implying something. She shrugged her shoulders and watched the Crown Prince and Lady Mildred walk towards the delegates together.

Lady Emilia watched them carefully. She couldn’t read her eyes at all. Natalya wondered what she was thinking, seeing that the Crown Prince was walking with Lady Mildred. Oh brother, I hope that I don’t get involved with their problems. Natalya wished dearly in her heart.

“Miss?”

“It’s nothing,” she looked at the Crown Prince and Lady Mildred. “They seem to have gotten closer.”

“They are, I am glad that they are.”

What the hell, Natalya’s head froze for a second. But she noticed that there was no enmity on her. Then again, she wouldn’t dare to believe that a woman with such a kind aura around her would have such desire. She did hear that despite their rivalry, they still had a grudging friendship. A rather healthy one that Natalya was rather surprised about. Most of the time it becomes a hair-pulling match, then again they are supposed to be the most ‘worthy’ to become the Empress. It would be odder if they are unrefined. They need to look and act like an Empress would.

 The Crown Prince discussed with someone when General Steelheart stood for a moment, looking over to the direction where Mavin was. The General sauntered to him, eyes trained on his face.

The General extended a hand that Mavin didn't refuse. When that was done they had exchanged a few words before the delegate escorting the General entered the main campus. The soldiers that guarded the airship stayed on guard. She had thought they would follow the General.

Entering the main campus to see the delegate that came from Holmia. The group met with the researchers who were introducing themselves to the General. Next to the General was a man that wore a simple shirt and buttoned it up fully to support the elegant tie he's wearing. On top of the shirt he's wearing a trendy vest with five buttons. His jacket fits him like a glove, a tailored glove. It has an elegant windowpane pattern which radiates confidence. The five buttons of his double breasted jacket are all buttoned up. The jacket is the same length all around, it has no vent, there are two pockets on either side and there's a breast pocket which holds his glasses.

Lady Emilia and Hilda introduced themselves as one of the researchers. It took a long time for the delegate to introduce themselves. By the time that was done, the people who are involved in the matter were asked to stay as they recovered the technology that they carried to the Academy. While the rest were busying themselves with introductions, Natalya found a man that was about to leave. It was then that she saw Mavin’s face staring at the container that they carried.

Natalya moved to where Mavin was. He didn’t look away from that container until it arrived in front of them. The guard saw that Mavin had no reaction to her movements, and had assumed that she was with him.

“What’s that?”

“Hydroelectric Crystals concocted by the Holmians. Didn’t know  you were here.”

“Same. You seem to be having fun.”

“Am I?” He found that strange.

“I know the other one, but who’s the other?”

“You mean Kalus Sommer? He is a representative of the Webman Company accompanying the Holmias. General Steelheart is here to make sure that the technology is delivered.”

“Is that why they had gathered everyone here?”

“Partly, and that you shouldn’t be allowed here.”

“Going to kick me out then?” 

“No.”

Mavin folded his arms as if he was bringing up his shield. There was a sense of wariness that he was emitting as he watched the scene. Natalya wondered why he was being worried, then again she saw that heavily armed security detail that the General brought. The last time that she saw Mavin like this was when they were in Flost City.

“Is there something wrong?”

Mavin looked at her. “Vulcan Technology is an extremely important matter. Most of these tech are going to Memepan, and because of certain reasons. Some of this tech is going to be transported to the mouth of pustalo, to be transported into Omevia.”

“Looks like the Tomas Family is going to earn well.”

“That’s not really my concern right now. What I am concerned about is the people who might come after them.”

“That shouldn’t be your concern then.”

“It is, when my family is involved with this deal. I can’t let Old Fred, Rigel, and Mimi be harmed no matter what.”

Natalya paused. “Who are they then?”

“A Cult that calls themselves ‘Null’ who have been around.”

“Wait, ‘Null’, you are worried about that Cult of all things? I thought they were just myths?”

“They exist,” Mavin said. “They are techno-hoarders, and that they have been around long enough to be a tumor to the Empire.”

“Odd that the Empire hasn't taken care of them.”

“The Empire has many states, and they barely get themselves involved unless they desire said technology, but the problem with them is that they try to take what they shouldn’t have.”

Mavin’s voice was flat. Natalya scanned the surroundings and saw no one that looked like he belonged to a cult. Mavin however eyed everyone as the box was opened, revealing a sky green crystal radiating with a dim glow, inside of the crystal was sparks of electricity interconnecting inside of it.

“That is...beautiful,” Natalya couldn’t help but mutter. Everyone was stunned by the lovely sparks that it gave. Glancing at Mavin, she noticed the lack of expression in his face, that dulled expression as if he was saving his strength, bothered her.

Doctor Rene Abe and Kristine Torre inspected the crystal before nodding their heads. The container was locked again and the ones carrying it started to carry it back to the mechanical division. The Crown Prince engaged a conversation with Klaus Sommer and General Steelheart as the soldiers who were with the General followed Doctor Rene and Kristine to the right wing building of the Academy.

As she was about to speak a word. Natalya took off her right eyepatch and saw the world sharpened beyond comprehension. She could make out every detail and yet the sharpness of the textures such as the light and the lines were beginning to hurt her head.

“Are you okay?”

Natalya didn’t answer. She stared at the trace of light that was revealed. This ‘light’ was leading to the same direction as the crystal. She closed her right eye, covered it with an eyepatch, and stared at the figure of the General, the Crown Prince, and the man called Klaus Sommer.

Natalya expected something to happen, but as time passed the three started to move to the mechanical division’s building. She was about to let her guard down when she felt her right eye paining as if it had been struck by sunlight.

Time seems to slow down to a still as she saw the sparks of light she found in that crystal appear in the air, and the source of it seems to come from the mechanical division.

“Looks like this is something that cannot be changed,” she heard Mavin say as every electrical device in the Academy shuts down.

35