Chapter 20: The Spark
1.5k 7 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      ‘The spark’ was the phenomenon that appeared in the ‘memories’ that he usually saw. It was the ‘spark’ that brought a start to the continuous events that led to the beginning of the end. Everything had a beginning and he was sure that this was the first spark to be lit. It might be nothing more than a spark of light green electricity bouncing in every electrical device in the Academy.

This spark caused a shutdown of the electrical devices, leading to the security details of the Academy to be wary. “What’s happening?” Natalya said. He didn’t have time to respond as he headed the source of the ‘the spark’ was and found the spark marking Rene and Kristine. That zigzagging mark on the back of their hands.

The mark that Mavin had dreaded to see.

He had hoped that he wouldn’t have to see such a mark.

‘Does this mean that in the end, that kismet, their fates, will happen regardless?’ He looked around and saw the General and Klaus Sommer appear to be tainted by the negatives of the ‘spark’. ‘This will sure attract the attention of Null.’

‘Null’ were a group of people who had believed that there was something more that could be found in the spark crystals. The catalyst of all the troubles that the world would face, all because of a crystal that has sparks of electricity on it. Then again, the world had always fought for resources and land.

Yet he knew that this ‘spark’ and this ‘technology’ that they had created would cause the world to change and divert from normality.

This was kismet, a predetermined event that will happen regardless of his resistance. Mavin was powerless to stop the kismet that is enforced by a greater ‘will’ that allows the cause and the effect of this kismet. However, he had pushed against the kismet of those who he knew by preventing said cause.

To make a ripple that would produce a change

‘But this is something that I cannot be against. The same structure and the same event happened and thus caused the same reaction, though different from my memories, it still happened.’

Cold water seems to pour in his heart and wrap around it. He held his mind tightly, refusing to let that ‘dread’ get to him. Mavin breathed out, intending to blow the heavy feeling from his chest. The time had come for their troubles to start, he needed to push on so that he would have an advantage.

“Don’t go,” as he was about to take a step. He was pulled by Natalya’s hands. He had noticed that there was something awfully strange on her face. “There’s something going here. Wait for a bit, I can feel something bad here.”

Mavin found her voice strangely convincing at the moment. There was ‘certainty’ in her voice that made Mavin observed first before going in. General Steelheart, the one in discussion with the Prince, and Sir Klaus moved in. Mavin’s instincts told him to go, but the hand holding his wrist made him unable to do so.

Natalya was usually someone who spoke directly without a concern. This time, Mavin found it hard to understand what she wanted. He did not know the cause of her hesitation, but Mavin understands that this was one of the ‘kismet’ that he must allow. Because they needed General Steelheart and Klaus Sommer if he wanted the good of this Empire.

“Just stay,” Natalya said again.

“I will.”

Mavin painfully waited on the room leading to the ring wing of the mechanical division. Natalya’s judgment was right, the hall leading to the division was covered in burns and soot. Every devices, even the tram platform that allowed them to carry goods to the division was fried. If he had entered this place then he would have to dance in the ‘sparks’.

He turned to Natalya.

“Good thing you just stopped me.”

“Isn’t it obvious? Why would you run into something like that, knowing nothing of what that is? Do you go into artillery fire as well?”

Mavin did not deny her words. They jogged to the mechanical division to see what had happened. The doors of the building have been struck by lightning. Inside the building, there was destroyed equipment, and what stood shining was the hydroelectric crystal that caused the ‘spark’ to happen. Holding his breath, Mavin made his perception of time slow to a still, observing the area, before finding the Crown Prince, and the two ladies standing not far from the dangerous battery.

General Steelheart stood next to the Crown Prince.

“How did this happen? The container was very secured.”

“Was it? This ‘crystal’ has effectively crippled the power grid of the Academy. Do you have anything to say about this?”

“It created a strange occurrence, causing our vessel to be damaged. We are Holmian, we do not scheme like the Hundred Nobles do.”

Klaus Sommer examined the container securing the hydroelectric crystals. He took out the glass from his pocket and said loudly, “It looks like this accident was caused by the methods of transportation. We had transported them using our trains and ships, but it looks like at higher altitude, the hydroelectric crystals are prone to cause something like this.

The certainty in Klaus’s Sommer voice was hard to find fault with. Kristine walked to the container with Rene, holding a device that measured the crystal. The multimeter spiked and the pondering looks of Rene and Kristine did not falter.”

“Doctor Rene, how is it?”

“I lack theoretical knowledge, but I can conclude that this is caused by critical changes. Hmm, this would be hard to make use of inside a plane, it would need a stabilizing mechanism, perhaps something like an internal combustion engine, but with the ability to stabilize it? Sir Sommer, are the materials to stabilize the crystals included in the package?”

“It is. But it seems that we have neglected this matter.”

General Steelheart turned to the Prince. “I shall allow myself to be hostage if it means to show that we truly have any intention of sabotage!”

Klaus Sommer backed him up. “Indeed, the damage caused by this crystal is something that we have overlook, the Webman Company will compensate the Academy for this trouble.”

The Crown Prince gave them a stare. Mavin did not let him think of it further and added. “As you know, the Tomas Family is a friend of the Holmian and the Webman Company, we shall assist in making sure that the relationship between the three is compensated. That there is no misunderstanding.”

The Prince laughed. “Isn’t that strange? To think that you would care about this, considering that you had left the burden of rule to others.”

“Your majesty,” Mavin explained. “I am a courier handed the duty to handle this. It would be a dishonor to the family if I am unable to do this right.”

The Prince wanted to say something, but turned to his reason.

The mark visibly present on them, and thus means that they had seen that ‘spark’ that the Null desired.

Mavin approached Rene and Kristine, asking. “You two feeling a deja vu?”

“Huh?”

“If you mean like we have experienced something this odd, well, you can say that our experiments of this technology have led to this similar results.”

“So you studied this then, before this?”

“They wouldn’t have left it to us,” she looked at the fried wirings around the department. Most of the incandescent bulbs exploded. The walls were blackened and some of the machines and apparatuses needed replacing.

“That teaches us to never use this without proper containment,” Kristine judged, she turned to Klaus Sommer. “I hope the Webman Company can compensate for this trouble.”

“I really hope so,” Rene spoke. “We need the equipment right. The blaming should be done later when there is a solution to our problems. Thankfully, some of our equipment are protected, but it would take a while to restart the electricity in the Academy. Do you have engineers on your airship?”

“We shall take care of our own repairs,” General Steelheart said.

The Crown Prince who was listening to them turned away. The two ladies watched as he left the area with a strange silence. He was covering the back of his hand. Lady Shina and Lady Mildred bid their goodbye to return to their department. It was then that General Steelheart spoke with Rene deeply about the machine. Kristine gestured for Mavin to help.

He lifted the container into place, and covered it.

“Always forgot how strong you are,” Kristine mentioned. Mavin stared at the back of her hand where that zigzag mark had appeared. “You didn’t hurt yourself?”

She rubbed the mark, “It doesn’t hurt, but I shall have it treated later. It isn’t bleeding or stinging so I will fix this first. Need to return to my research station, make sure that the computers aren’t fried as well."

The smell of burning rubber was present in the air. Kristine looked around and then landed her gaze on Natalya who was sticking close, observing the area without uttering a word.

“Who’s she?”

“Oh, Natalya,” Mavin said.

“Your girl?”

“Not really, just a friend.”

“Is that so?” Kristine nodded. She didn’t ask anything more, only caring about the container filled with hydroelectric crystals.

Klaus Sommer looked at the container. His eyes turned to Mavin who was standing next to it. He took out a  handkerchief from his pocket, wiping the glasses on his breast pocket. “It seems that we had caused trouble,” he placed the glasses away. “I am glad that you put in a word for us, Sir Tomas. I doubt things would have gone differently if you didn’t spare a word.”

“Do not mind it, Mister Klaus. I doubt I could have done more if the Crown Prince had insisted on making use of this as leverage against the Webman’s.”

“Indeed,” he said worriedly. “This has been a rather troublesome event.”

“I hope that your negotiations with the Arkadian Council goes smoothly. Lazon will welcome the Holmians and Webman as long time friends.”

There was a helpless smile on Klaus’s Sommer’s face at that remark. He bid them goodbye in order to appease the Councilmen alongside General Steelheart. Though most of the alumni and the Councilmen heard of the commotion, they did not argue with what happened, knowing that most of the equipment and fried devices were going to be replaced. The only reason they would back out was because of the Crown Prince who was standing alongside with the two who had caused a commotion.

The crystals were unstable, and the Empire at the moment could possibly try to displease the Holmians and the Webman Company until the full transfer was done. Klaus Sommer knew this well, so he had intended to appease them by sacrificing some of their funds.

Mavin had to helped the Webman in hopes that the relations within the three groups would be smoothed over.

“Can we go home?”

“Huh?”

He turned to Natalya whose face was dead tired.

She was holding the back of her hand.

There was a strange wariness in her eyes that Mavin found strange.

“What?” she said, holding a stiff smile.

“You look tired.”

‘I am. You could say that it has been a long bad day for me,” she looked away, mumbling. “A very bad day,” she looked at Mavin, her breath an inch close. “You really like running to danger, huh…Next time, try not to do that, Mavin.”

Her lonesome back made him raised a brow. He didn’t understand why she felt tired. Then again, he only felt calm because of what he had known before, not to mention that she looked like she was in pain when the ‘the spark’ happened. 

“Are you going to stand all day? If you have any business in this Academy, still. Then I’m going home first.”

Mavin stood to watch her back for a moment before joining her.

It was then that she suddenly stopped, turned around, and looked him in the eye.

“Four times, Mavin Tomas. Four times,” her voice sounded tired.

She turned away, leaving Mavin confused.

42