Chapter 22: The Matriarch of House Bradley
1.5k 4 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      The Bradley House was one of the Houses in the Empire that were handling what was known as the ebony market. An underground market where most of the illegal activities are run by two major houses. The Bradley House is one of the major houses, and through the Houses there are sub-factions and minor houses who control the nodes of the market, creating a microcosm that allows the market to be self-sustaining.

The Ebony Market exists in order to handle the criminal activities of the Empire. While there is light and darkness, the Empire understands that if no one controls the market, then someone will. So it was better for it to be owned by ruling families instead of an upstart that had no allegiance to the Empire.

Rose Bradley was the head of the Bradley House. Mavin could recall eight years ago how his stubborn persistence had allowed the daughter of the Bradley Family to have a matriarch. Rose Bradley was a deceitful woman. Mavin knew this, but allowed her to become one because he needed Rose Bradley in the seat of her family. All of this because he had read an excerpt that if she had risen on top, she would have control of the Bradley Family in the span of seven years.

That excerpt was right, that Rose Bradley would only take seven years if she had been able to prove herself. “That’s the thing about the memories, they are accurate, that even the recent changes doesn’t make them suddenly incompetent.”

Mavin Tomas was driving the main compound of the Bradley House. It was early in the morning, moderately warm, and there was the usual noise and bustle one would expect from a city that had recently ended a long war. The banners flying over the three-floored buildings. The patriotic flag of the Aquila and the sun.

It was another day in the city of Arkadia.

Anyway, the compound was located near the coastline, sitting on top of a flattened hilltop surrounded with natural defenses. There was only one entrance, and on both sides there were watchtowers and a sniper’s nest that he had spotted because of a glint of light. He reckoned that they were a good shot, but if faced with counter-snipers, they would have been dead.

Coming to the compound gate, he was stopped by rifle-armed guards. Mavin told him his family name. One of the guards sought his colleague and it didn’t take for Mavin to enter the compound’s bronze gate. From the outside, the compound looked luxurious and extravagant. Built with burgundy bricks and has grey stone decorations. Tall rectangular windows that are added in a symmetrical pattern. The roof is high and triangular and is covered with black ceramic tiles. One large chimney pokes out the center of the roof. Many smaller windows let in plenty of light to the rooms below the roof.

The house itself is surrounded by paved ground, with a small pond at one side and various potted plants all around the house. The building was shaped like an ‘E’ and in the center was a fountain. Upon arriving in the front of the compound door. A man wearing a black waistcoat, white shirt and black tie, and striped trousers appeared. He was somewhere around his forties and he was thin yet the tone of his body showed how healthy he was. His hair was greying, and his respectable mustache made his cool and composed expression more professional.

Mavin got out of the car.

“Is the Matriarch inside?”

“Yes,” the man looked at him, “it has been long, Sir Tomas.”

“Gregor Hopper, it’s good that you still serve Rose.”

Gregor nodded. He wasn’t much of someone who wanted to talk. Inside the interior was still the same as he remembered. A brown poplar wood exterior, and ironwood flooring. Most of the wall paintings were covered by curtains. The arms and decorations of previous patriarchs were displayed. On the railing there was a spot of blood, and on the flight of stairs there he saw two drops of blood on the brown carpet. The Soldiers wore grey pinstriped suits with slacks with the same color. The rest who he assumed were associates, wore vests with rolled up sleeves. On the second floor he found a group of men discussing in hush whispers. Their eyes wandered to Mavin for a moment before they went back to their colleagues.

“Looks like the Family is thriving.”

“Hmm, yes, it is thanks to the Matriarch that the Bradley House has been experiencing recent prosperity. Of course, I expect nothing less from the Miss’s genius.”

On the third floor of the houses there was a gathering of what Mavin recognized as the Knights of the House. Three of them were leaving the office, their gloved hands bloodied, and the maid standing on the side of the double-doors cleaning the floor. The three didn’t spare Mavin a glance, not even Gregor, they had this expression that made them want to change their clothes. There was a stench of blood coming inside the door. There was a moaning sound of a man who seem to be giving someone answers while in pain. The maid that was near the door remained stoic as she placed the bucket aside. She was rather hyper focused on cleaning the stain that was dropped on the flooring, and barely noticed them.

“Hey Retz,” Mavin said. The maid named Retz opened her eyes and nodded.

“Sir Mavin, it has been long.”

“The Matriarch inside?”

“Yes, shall I announce your presence?”

“Please be a dear, Miss Retz,” Gregor said, tugging on his gloves.

Retz entered the double-door. The sounds inside the room vanished for a moment. Miss Retz got out of the room.

“The Lady shall be ready, please wait a moment before entering.

“Busy day, huh,” Mavin said.

“Indeed,” she said nothing more.

“Good job,” Mavin thumped Retz’s shoulder, “you look composed than ever. Gregor, how is she by herself?”

“Adequate, Sir Tomas. She has been trained to protect and serve the Mistress.”

They heard a hand-bell inside the room.

Entering the room, Mavin found a balm who was missing eight of his fingers. There were four teeth on a pan and three of his toes were separated from his feet. The man’s left eye was blind and there was a rather large incision on his back that was constantly injecting his body with some kind of drug substance that was keeping this man alive.

The woman with long red hair, and ruby eyes stared at him as she sat on her desk. She wore a dress that covered her shoulders and flowed down into a fancy neckline. It is a snug fit that accentuates her breasts, but does so in elegant matter. Her arms have been covered to only just below her elbows. Which not only helps highlight her gorgeous skin, it also keeps the focus on other parts of the dress. The dress' waist is wide, but it's a loose fit. A small, stylish belt is all that is needed as a perfect adornment.

Below the waist the dress fits snug around her and has a suit skirt style. The dress reaches all the way down to her feet and is the same length all around. She's wearing ankle straps, a perfect choice in combination with this dress. She was wearing surgical gloves that she placed on the wash basin. Her seductive smile and that sharp look was mesmerizing.

Her eyes dilated. Mavin took a step forward. The door behind closed, leaving only three of them in the room. There was only the sound of the dropping of blood from the man on his knees on the room.

“Brother Mavin.”

“Rose,” his voice became cold and duller than usual. He eyed the man on his knees, “looks like you had indeed become the true head of the family. You could have done this in the basement.”

“I could have, but we are pressed with time. My Knights have been making sure that these parasites are plucked from the skin in which they find sucker on. Can you believe, these parasites were using the war to fund their activities? I can understand the desire of using the opportunity to further their goals, and profit from this. Contrabands were a thing, my brother. We sell them through the channels and we gave everyone their rightful share of the pie. We are not greedy, and it makes everyone’s lives better if there is competition and business. If there is a demand for products, we supply them. But parasites like them, they are not good for business. They intend to keep it all for themselves.”

She played with the bottle of medicine next to her.

“It would have been preferable if they are like that,” she began. “The worst part of these parasites are their greed. They intend to suck the blood out instead of leaving it alone, cultivated and healthy for another harvest. Instead of milking the cow, they butcher it. Instead of leaving the hen alone for the eggs that it will lay, they kill it. Instead of making an industry out of the wool they shear, they harvest their meat for a few wealth. Nonetheless, I can understand the need for immediate profit. But what I don’t tolerate is how they are used against us. They think they can operate into our territories, but they do not pay respects and instead let themselves be used against us.

“I respect their business attitude and the way they profit. But we respect our soldiers and we respect competition when they return the respect as well. The Falcone has been lately infuriating us with their blatant disrespect of the rules. Of course, my sweetest brother, do not assume that we have not plucked the leeches off us. This man is someone whose name shouldn’t be spoken.”

“Rose, don’t touch me. You’ll ruin my suit.”

“Of course, what was I thinking? Brother’s suit is much more precious than this parasite’s blood. Forgive me, my sweetest brother.”

“So, I assume that you have done all you can for this one?”

“Yes, although he thinks that he still has something to say.”

“Please Mistress!” the prisoner shouted. “I still have something to give! Please!”

The man shouted with desperation. His saliva flying, one drop of it landing on Mavin’s shoes. Seeing this, Rose calmly shook her head, and took a pistol with an appearance of a tube attached to a grip, it was a bolt-action pistol. She pressed the barrel of the pistol on the man’s head. The man’s skull visibly cracked, the bullet leaving the man’s head, and the bullet bouncing on the wooden floor. He dropped to the side, as if the strength holding the man left his body.

“An internally suppressed pistol. Is it single-shot?”

“Yes, it is quite lovely isn’t it? It’s no so loud either. I like it.”

“His blood is going to soak the floor.”

“Forgive me, this rude man doesn’t know when to speak. Gregor! Retz! Tell them to clean this up for me, please!”

Gregor popped his head and ordered Retz to get the cleaners.

Mavin walked around and sat on the chair. Rose sat back on the desk, propping her chin on her hand.

“You are trigger happy.”

“Forgive me, my sweetest brother. I would have been merciful if he wasn’t such a parasite to our community. He is a tough man who has killed five of our associates, and four of my soldiers. I had to sacrifice one of my Knights to catch this parasite. He has no use for my family no longer, so there is no need to feel sorry for this thing. So, how about we get to business, I believe that you are here to know what we want from the Webman Company? We heard of the news and since it is your family, we are willing to cooperate.”

“Yes, if you can tell me.”

She smiled, “Of course, I shall tell you, sweetest brother. But first, can you tell me why Natalya Wilde, the Lady Bellatrix of the Republic, is in the Ancestral House of the Tomas Family?”

Rose Bradley asked, tapping her finger repeatedly on her desk.


Thank you for reading this far!

41