Chapter 28: A Ghostly Visit 3
1k 1 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      “He had become even more dangerous than ever,” Stan said. He made sure that the cabin was secured, and that there was no one around to hear what they had to say.

The Baroness, Sophia, mused at his words. Her bearing in deep thought. “That he is. He carries the war with him, still. We had fought to protect Dinia, but ever since we had the pleasure of meeting Tomas, he had been one of the biggest thorns and a friend that we ever had.”

Stan recollected their first meeting. His face twitched as he recalled the beating that he had earned from him. The scar on his face twitched. His countenance faltered, but he hardened it the moment he felt something was off with him. “I had underestimated him.”

“And he had knocked you down senseless. Told you twice to not underestimate anyone young, and especially someone from Lazon.”

“I had thought of him as someone who needed it.”

“And that’s why you failed.”

There was a deep look on Sophia’s face as she recollected their deal. Sophia had recalled that there was no one who should know where she would be during her visit in the city. It was one of her ways to make sure that no one was hounding her. Unfortunately for her, the Strongarm Clan’s heir had found them. He knew too much. Had too much to say and knew how to say the right things.

“He had warned us eight years ago to never meddle until the war is over and even if it is over. He gave us seven years and gave us a few favors that he still allowed us to keep. It is not his wealth, family, and even his ability that makes him annoying for us. It is how he keeps his favor.”

“But you saw it too, right?”

 

Sophia nodded her head. The manner that he conducted himself. That loosened demeanor that made him look at them as if they were human. Not like dolls. Not like puppets that he held no interest. Whatever had happened in the war, something changed him. He had loosened, but unlike the thin smile he had now, the look in his eyes was cold enough to burn. All of the Lazonians had this ritual that they had to slay their demifiend before they are called a man. Some wrestle the demifiend with spears, some fight them with a rifle, and there are people like Mavin Tomas who fought an entire horde of them with a few Lazonian hunters to reach his parents. His parents had died valiantly, and yet the son didn’t break. He stood still and turned despondent, obsessed with something that made him seek after many things. It was natural that he’d grow strong.

Mavin was someone who made good of his promises. She had calculated inside her head that she rather not have someone like that be her enemy, it was more beneficial, knowing that the Tomas Family had recently opened the mouth of Pustalo for trade, and they were one of the first who could trade goods. Even without the ‘technology’ that they had been guarding against, Sophia was sure that she would not worry about taking an interest. Not when the King of the ebony market had come to warn her about it.

“Are we really going to give up on it?”

Sophia smiled daringly, and Stan understood something.

“Of course not. He warned us to steer clear from their operations, but not associate with perhaps someone like Rose who is eager to work with us. Rose, I like her since she knows how to profit on every association, better than that fool Josef. Mica’s a good businessman, but he’s lacking in initiative and thinks too much. People would have followed Micah, sadly, he didn’t have the stones to take up the role, fearing the wrath of the Bradley and  Tomas Family.”

 

 The Tomas are known to be kind, and fence-sitters who could remain neutral because they had the ability to do so. They were fierce warriors who had defended the Empire time and time again that many feared any secessionist thoughts coming from them. They had fortified their fountains, and the impassable terrains made it hard for troops to navigate the area. The only thing that could threaten them was an air raid, and they know that too well and had developed measures against it. Honestly, she had planned to expand her business in Lazon, find someone who would cooperate, but everyone in Lazon believed in their customs. Not to mention that before she could start, she had been visited by Countess Elma, though she was as young as she was back then, had the intellect and the political will to bury them and her venture if she had started without going through them.

Stan’s frozen visage muddled as he checked his pocket watch.

“This city has too many webs.”

“What do you expect? We should be lucky that it only took us a few years to find someone to latch on. The Prince wants us to replace the Falcone, but that is not our way. It’s much better if we place Mica in-charge and have him offer tribute now and then. To be stuck in that pit of a city instead of the vast new world before us would be too saddening, don’t you think so?”

“Captain, that I can agree.”

Stan remained standing. His bearing froze as he watched the ticking of his clock. Sophia took a drag of her pipe, and did her best in forming shapes with it. She liked the savory taste and smell of her tobacco. She had remained firm that she would only smoke goods that came from the east. They just hold such a different taste compared to the ones grown in this continent.

“I wonder if we should have waited a bit longer before coming here.”

If they did come too late, she was sure that there would have been no one they could wrap a collar on. She was lucky enough to find someone who was desperate, and was willing to be collared by someone.

There was a sudden knock on the cabin door that made Sophia turn. Stan pried the door open, revealing the man that they had just been talking about, carrying a sack containing a head. He sauntered in without a word and dropped the head on the table, making an eerie and wet sound. She was surprised that blood didn’t spill.  Mavin Tomas eyed them with a countenance that could cool warm water.

 

“Here’s Josef.”

“I had thought you would come tomorrow.”

He didn’t offer a retort. He wordlessly sat across Sophia. His eyes stayed on Josef’s head. The air around him made him strange and dangerous. There was a look on Stan’s face that made him step away, not daring to speak or utter anything seeing Mavin Tomas’s mood.

“Oh my, I haven’t seen you look troubled. Did he give you a hard time?”

“He died on his feet, Baroness. When is Mica coming?”

“Soon enough.”

“I brought Josef’s body. It’s in the boat. I had your men guard it for now. Once you’re done with whatever it is that you want from Josef’s head, bury him rightfully.”

“I will. Do you think that I would keep his skull?”

Mavin nodded. Sophia offered her smoking pipe, and he took it from her hands. He took a long drag of the smoking pipe, leaned the back of his head on the chair, and loosened up.

“Tired?”

“Not really. I hate coming here. Would it kill you to steer the ship closer to the Capital City? It’s not like they’d sink you when Kaleb had probably ordered them to keep clear from engaging.”

“Better be safe and careful.”

“Anyway, don’t like it.”

“You could have come tomorrow.”

“And sleep while knowing that I still have a head that I carry around to present? I gently refuse that.”

He handed the smoking pipe back to Sophia. She didn’t bother to wipe the end of the pipe, placing it on her lips. She blew smoke and studied him.

 

“For someone who refused all duty, you still work hard. If I didn’t know better, I’d call you a tool.”

His face remained blank. He looked at the smoke floating. Stan stood quietly. He asked with his eyes to leave, and Sophia allowed him to do so. This made them only the ones in the cabin. Maybe it was the smoke. But Sophia didn’t smell any stench from the bag.

“You dipped his head in formaldehyde?”

“If you wanted to smell his dead body, the do it on your own. They were gracious enough to give it. They really hated Josef, to the point that they sold him off without thinking. None of them showed any loyalty to him. They blamed him for the disgrace that the Falcone had become. The ones in your list were his officers, the only loyal ones who would have fought.”

“Well, they were people who were going to be trouble. I didn’t want them to stay and preach Mica’s ears. Mica knows how to play deaf, but eventually the words would crawl through his ears. Better take care of them now while I have someone who’ll visit them. Didn’t think you would find this troublesome.”

“I don’t. It’s not the killing that bothers me. It’s how Josef died that bothers me. You can kill a man who fights back, justify it as self-defense, but when a man looks you in the eye, and is ready to die on his feet. You don't feel good about it. There were many men like that in the field. Living on by the adrenaline pumping in their veins, not daring to go gentle into that good sleep. They are the kind of people that I rather not face.”

“That’s surprising, coming from someone like you.”

She took a puff and dragged a pillow, leaning on it. Mavin made himself home and shook his head. The expression on his face softened. He held his hand out and she gave the smoking pipe to him.

“Should have brought one. I don’t like your spit on it.”

“I don’t like smoking, and I only do it once in a month or at times like these.”

“Business might go smoothly now, that is if you have a request for us.”

“Sophia, do you believe in the kismet?”

 

“Predetermination is strange, Mavin Tomas. Is it really defying one’s fate when you are flat on your back, but managed to back up? Or was it just a fated for you to get back up? Lately, I found myself towards reason and sense. Superstition is something I still follow, but nonetheless, the concept of such a thing is strange to me. Let the thinkers do the thinking, I rather not do it myself.”

“That so?”

Sophia pushed against the armrest. Mavin sat upright, leaned his elbows on his thighs and yawned. The look on his face went back to the stone that it was.  Taking a long drag of the smoking pipe. He handed the smoking pipe. Sophia had loosened her suit, fair chest pushed up by her underwear. Her hair was ragged and there was an icy glare on her face.

“Be honest for once. No riddles. What would happen if we meddle with this deal between the Webman and the Empire?”

“You will all die. They’ll make sure of it. The Prince warned you. You can broker for peace, by focusing your gaze on the steel rails, and the ventures that you bought from the Falcone Family and the Canic Company. But if you do try to interfere with this, you’ll have two Princes and the 108th nobles placing their gaze on you. And that’s if the Holmians don’t sink Steel Barrel first. Good thing that you already know that, don’t you?”

Sophia slowly nodded. She took a puff of her smoking pipe and bit it on her lips. “You should go before Mica spots you. That man is easily spooked by everything. He might think that you’re after him. Don’t want him to smell like piss when he comes here.

“Hah,” Mavin stood and walked to the cabin door.

“If you have time, we should get dinner. Maybe some steak?”

Mavin grinned. “Sure, as long as you’re paying.”

Sophia laughed and leaned back. Mavin Tomas left the cabin, leaving Sophia alone with the head of Josef. Stan entered the cabin.

Sophia’s face changed back to that expressionless face she had. “Stan, call everyone back, we’re not going to engage them right now.”

“Is that okay?”

“What choice do we have?” she tapped the smoking pipe. “We’ll settle with collaring the Falcone with Mica. We’ll test the waters, and see if we can find an opportunity. But not now.”

Stan nodded his head.

Sophia Tatiana closed her eyes and savored the smoke.

“Ah, I want to go back to Dinia for a moment.”

32