Chapter 42: Independent Pieces
922 1 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Mavin followed Rene and Kristine, acting as their bodyguard. Entering the pathway where he saw the ‘spark’ happened. He wondered if Rene and Kristine got the marks that should belong to them. The mark and the bloom could be hidden and their interaction with the Holmian Technology should make it clear.

Nevertheless, they never showed carefulness when it comes to their interaction with their machines. If one of them got the mark, then it would have been possible that they would not have the aversion with machines.

The bloom reacts badly to overly complex technology. He recalled in those memories that the bloom does not properly activate when met with machines that disrupts the natural occurrences of nature. If the ‘bloom’ specializes in influencing what it is around them to create a desired effect, then the machines that used the natural sciences of the world simply disrupt them. Of course, those who could understand the disorder brought by the machines could bypass them if they have enough master of the bloom. The bloom is a dangerous ability if utilized by those who have mastered.

On the other hand, the Nuller’s ability, the mark, which sends signals to their equipment that are powered by the arrays that they used do not fail  like the bloom when they interact with technology, so when it comes close to their ability to manipulate extreme effects, they are very superior in combat. Their weakness was that those who are stronger could become a storm that affects the electromagnetic fields around them, causing mayhem.

Both abilities are an advantage to have. The secret societies however are nothing much compared to the threat of the incoming arm’s race that was happening all over the world. Truthfully, they were nothing more than sects clinging to the old world. Though it didn’t mean that they are irrelevant, they still posed a threat to those who are around them. One Nuller could cause enough chaos in the city, and the one who possesses the bloom could be a hidden poison.

Mavin stopped for a moment. He looked at the place where Natalya said that strange thing. ‘Six Times, Mavin Tomas,” he recalled what she said. He didn’t understand she meant, and even if he does. There was no way he could confirm anything. He had made sure that she didn’t have the mark on the back of her hand, and even if she does. He would expect that it was possible simply because of what the ‘memories’ told him.

She’s dangerous, but at the same time, I don’t have time to think about it, Mavin thought. He continued walking until he reached the mechanical division. Rene and Kristine were working together, and he was glad to see such sight. 

As much as he’d like to bother the two, there was a limit on what he could do. He was not authorized by the Crown Prince to inquire about the negotiations and the transfer of the tech. Most of the news that he got came from Old Fred and Rigel. These two, despite being his friends, have their lips zipped in order to prevent any information leakage.

He was rather glad that they did not act like the doormats they were in those ‘memories’ where they acted like simple-minded buffoons. Mavin however wished that these two would at least take time for themselves, but their core was their work ethic, and it made them admirable people who held duty and responsibility.

And that’s why they were the heroes who would choose the fate of the world. If anything, he didn’t have to worry about them as long as they stay as they are. They were not weak children or foolish young adults that still could not decide for themselves. Mavin knew that choosing to speak to them as if they were nothing more than presets was dangerous. It was insulting and degrading of them as a person.

If they were mainly simple-minded buffoons who could be easily persuaded. They would not have been competent enough to reach their current position on their own.

Mavin was glad that these two had solved their differences earlier. There are still lingering rivalries deep within them, but it does not affect their work. Mavin had made sure that this wouldn’t come up sooner or later.

The two didn’t notice him as they studied the hydroelectric crystal. Mavin knew better to start prattling about information that he shouldn’t have. He rather not embarrass himself in front of the people who know more than he should have.

Most of the wirings and equipment inside the mechanical division were replaced by the Webman Company. There was a lot of process involved that made it so that little progress could be done. Most of the transfer needed the approval of many people, and these many people usually had a lot to say. If it wasn’t for the Crown Prince, the Second Prince, the Ladies, and these two. Mavin didn’t know when the papers would have been processed.  For once, he was glad that the Empire was not solely managed by bureaucrats.

From what he heard from Old Fred. The factories in Memepan had been constructed with the help of the Holmians. It seems that after the failure of their airship after the spark, they had called for a new airship that would repair the airships, and at the same time, bring their personal workers to create the furnaces and machinery needed to create the Vulcan Tech.

Even on his way here, he noticed that there were a lot of trucks carrying resources and materials in convoys. Most of these convoys were guarded closely by the city garrison, and were accompanied by armored trucks fresh out of a factory.

It didn’t look good to the people. Nevertheless, it was a necessary step to be done in hopes that they could secure the transfer of materials to the train carriages and convoys that are heading to Memepan’s factories. Furthermore, the Holmians were eager to get the job done, speeding up the transfer.

“Oh,” Kristine pushed on her glasses, “so you’ve been standing around?”

“Was waiting for you two to start making out, alas, such is only a dream.”

Rene turned sharply, glancing at Kristine for a moment, then coughing. “You need something?”

Kristine snorted. “Does he ever need something to come here? Come on, it’s time for break before our big brother here starts moaning about it.”

“Glad that you understand, Kristine.”

Mavin sat on a chair. The two followed after placing their notes and clipboards on the table. 

“We have moved most of the tech to ours. The Emperor had asked us personally that technology should be utilized for the sake of creating power. They want us to make a power source for the Empire.”

“Power source, I understand,” Mavin joined his fingers. “Did the Emperor mention anything else?”

Rene tapped one of the documents. “He wants us to create the power supply of a plane, and create an effective sky squadron.”

“I didn't know that you two were military experts.”

“We’ll be getting inputs from our colleagues,” Kristine leaned on the couch. “Most of them are eager, and they’ve already started proposing on creating weapons that would benefit the users. 

There’s more that she’s not speaking about, Mavin thought. “Do they want to create a suit like the Holmians?”

Kristine’s face crumpled. Rene could only hesitantly smile at that question.

I know it, Mavin thought. “They want to create better and stronger infantry as well, huh.”

“Doesn’t mean that we have to give every soldier the equipment. The expense alone could drain the coffers of the Empire. The Emperor wants to focus on creating sustainable power that could allow the Empire to rebuild and repair. The war might have been stopped, but it could easily reignite as well. We need to rebuild our losses as soon as possible. Infrastructure needs to be replaced, and if we have a semi-limitless power source like this. Who knows what we could do?”

“The thing is that the 108th nobles have been demanding about what to do with the technology,” Rene added. “Most of them want to take a piece of the pie. The Grand Dukes have been pushing the Crown Prince in regards to the matter with the engagement, using that to pressure him. Thankfully, Prince Kaleb is able to calm some of the nobles regarding this.”

Gotta hand it to Kaleb. He knows how to deal with the bastards, Mavin thought. “So,  any progress with the tech?”

Kristine shrugged. “Barely any progress at all, what do you think? In terms of making it a sustainable power source, we can do that. We already have their working design, their core, but imposing improvements on this design will make it harder. Not to mention that the divisions working on these have decided that it’s going to be a joint project between my division and this division. There are many working heads now, so we might just make progress.”

Mavin stared at the two. Kristine and Rene wondered about what his stare was for.

“So, who do you support as the crown princess?”

Rene and Kristine’s expression turned solid. Rene spoke with hesitation. “It’s impossible to decide who we want to become one.”

“What do you expect, Mav?” Kristine snorted. “That we can choose or bother the Crown Prince about it? We may be acting as subordinate to the Crown Prince, but we still do not have the right to think of his marriage. Not when the Emperor himself has allowed him to choose who he wants to be. Both of the Ladies are suitable for the position of the Crown Princess. Lady Anastasia has the wits and will to manage an Empire. She has the talents of the Grand Duke, and the acumen to face the nobles of this Empire.

“As for Lady Shina, she is quite the motherly figure that the Empire needs right now. Many know her as a caring person who has been running around the Empire, doing charitable deeds, and is known for her great care of the masses. She has the wisdom and the ability to rule side by side with the Crown Prince, and yet does the Empire need a motherly figure or a stern Empress? It’s not easy to decide, and considering that the two are brilliant on their own right. It is hard to decide. If I was a man, I would be troubled knowing that I have to choose one.”

Rene laughed slightly. “Honestly, you should see how the Crown Prince’s face crumbles at the thought of his marriage. I think he’s starting to be greedy about it.”

“I’d be surprised if he could persuade the two Ladies. They have prides taller than towers, so they wouldn’t allow themselves to become just a consort. The Prince knows this well, and honestly it would have been easy win for the Lady of Shina if it wasn’t for the troubles that they encountered in Flost.”

Kristine looked. “Whatever happened in Flost, anyway? The Prince usually doesn't look at the Lady like that before. Now the two are going around, getting to know each other.”

Mavin told them of what happened, sparing them the gory details, and anything about Old Sable. After hearing what he had to say, Kristine snorted and looked unpleased hearing about it.

“Typical,” Kristine sighed. “Then again, I understand where the Crown Prince is coming from,” she glanced at Rene for a moment. “I’d want someone who can accompany me, treat me well, and knows me better than anyone. If I can’t even trust my partner, and be equal with him in marriage. What’s even the point?”

“Heard that Rene?” Mavin grinned.

Rene looked away, hiding that furious blush of his. “I’ll keep that in mind. But like I said before, that if you still have someone in min--”

Mavin’s hand blocked Rene’s mouth. “Boy, you ain't finishing that goddamn sentence when I’m here,” Mavin turned to Kristine. “Does he always try to say such bullshit?”

“Yeah,” Kristine jabbed Rene on the side. “I usually have to listen to him groan about how he’s not good enough and that I should rethink my choice.”

Mavin eyed Rene with the saddest look he could muster. “Just stop that, will you?”

“Fine, I get it,” Rene looked away, avoiding their glares.

25