Chapter 46: A Demonstration
911 2 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     Rene had followed an entourage to the throne of the Emperor. It was a great honor that he did not dare to look less formal. The Emperor was the Empire’s Sun, the Guardian of the Athesian Empire ever since the founding of the Empire.

The one leading the entourage was the Crown Prince. To his side was the representative of the Tomas Family. Fred Duran and his successor. Next to them was the representative of the Webman and the Holmians.

It was quite the entourage.

The Imperial Royal Guards of the Empire stood next to the columns holding gold-accented rifles. Above them was the banners of the Empire.  The group followed the red carpet laid leading to the throne located at the end of the hall.

Rene noticed the Aquila wearing the corona of the sun giving out light. Below this symbol was the golden-haired and golden-eyed Emperor who wore his imperial dress and shoulders draped with a red fur-lined coat. On that dress of his was medals that showed his bravery, the bars that he had not awarded to himself, but allowed to be placed by those who knew war.

Next to the Emperor was his brilliant daughter. Rene had seen the Princess in the Academy, and she was accompanied by her lady-in-waiting who was specially allowed to stand next to the Princess to assist her. The rumors of the Princess’s health had not been hidden.

She’s doing well, Rene thought. I heard that most of Sahus is dedicated to finding a cure for the Princess.

The group stood in front of the Emperor. On the left and the right was the Grand Dukes of the Empire standing tall with their hands behind their backs. They eyed the Crown Prince with hostility and disapproval.

Next to the Grand Dukes were the Ladies. Both their eyes followed the Crown Prince as he greeted his father, the Emperor. General Steelheart and Klaus Sommer. All except the Grand Dukes and their daughters remained unbowed. Old Fred stood straight with eyes on the Emperor. His successor, Rigel, bowed his head, allowing the Emperor to watch the group.

“You may raise your heads,” Emperor Zander said.

There was a pause. Old Fred nodded his head at the Emperor and introduced the Holmian General and Sir Klaus Sommer to the Emperor. Rene and Kristine greeted the Emperor as well.

“The Empire greets our long friends. The Holmians have been a friend of the Empire ever since the days that our ambassadors met. It was the Holmians who trekked through two continents to reach us and give us their greetings. I welcome you to my Empire, General James Steelheart, your deeds in battle have reached my ears.”

“I thank the sun of this Empire for this honor.”

The Emperor nodded. His eyes set on Sir Klaus Sommer. “Years ago, I had given you the title to be a gentleman of the Empire. Klaus Sommer, the rise of the Webman Company has shown their worth. You have paid the coffers of the company and have repaid the Empire rightfully.”

The Emperor looked at the Princess. She handed the document that was presented to the Emperor and once again looked at it.

“The transfer of the technology will bring glory to this Empire. However, I must admit that my subjects have been wanting to hear it.”

The Emperor was different in a way that he was calm and soothing. He could become the dominant person of the room. He could become the kindest person in the room as well. There was something gentle in the Emperor that allowed the flow of discussion.

As they speak, Rene noted that the Emperor had laid out the agreements. General James Steelheart, and Klaus Sommer spoke their piece. This was merely the signing of the documents between three parties. The Emperor was the type of ruler who did not bother with double-words unless there was a need for it. Words were a weapon to the Emperor, and the Emperor was the type to hide meaning behind those words when faced with his ‘nobler’ subjects.

The Emperor speaking less formally was a blessing. Then again, the presence of the Grand Dukes, and Old Fred made it possible to feel less serious. With the Emperor’s daughter sitting next to the Emperor. Rene could tell that the Emperor made it easy for them to interact.

With the introductions, the details of the transfers of technology, and the contract being laid out on the table brought by the Imperial Royal Guards. General Steelheart, and Sir Klaus Sommer stood together in front of the Emperor.

Old Fred facilitated the signing of the transfer of technology. The Chancellor of the Holmian People’s signature, General Steelheart, and Sir Klaus on paper. Together, the three signed the paper and was handed to the daughter of the Emperor who graciously placed it inside a strongbox. The Minister of the Emperor took the strongbox, and was escorted out of the throne hall by the Imperial Royal Guards.

The Emperor remained standing, waiting for the Imperial Royal Guards to leave. There was a very painful pause that had happened. The Emperor intentionally made everyone wait, while watching everyone with his eyes.

The Crown Prince who stood among the entourage like a soldier. No one dared to make a fuss as the Emperor observed. The throne and the hall belonged to the Emperor. As the Emperor handed his pen to the servant who was waiting. He turned to Rene with an inquisitive look on his face.

Rene presented himself alongside Kristine. While Kristine briefly informed them that they would need the appropriate materials to fully present the technology. Rene excused himself from the Emperor’s presence and signaled for the equipment to be held inside the throne room.

The equipment was placed in the middle of the throne hall. The Emperor’s eyes grew curious at the sight of the rhombus-shaped crystal encased around a metal contraption. Kristine warned the Emperor that there was a minimal distance needed.

“Hmm, it is bold that you would bring such a potentially dangerous device in my home and in my throne, but alas fortune favors those who are bold,” The Emperor raised his chin. “You may show me the effects of this crystal that shall be the heart of our machines.”

The Grand Dukes only observed. The daughters did as well while keeping an eye on the machine. It was then that another figure appeared from the doors. The one who pushed the deck wheelbarrow wore the exoskeleton of the Holmians. It was one of the technologies offered by the Holmians, though the inferior version, allowed the user to have greater strength.

The crystal alone weighed about one hundred kilos. The encasing weighed more than two-hundred and thus needed more men to carry and place the materials around. However, that would mean that they would allow more exoskeleton-suit equipped men in the presence of the Emperor. They were able to solve this by bringing in a person who could do the task without anyone’s help. Enhanced by the exoskeleton suit, Mavin easily lifted the equipment out of the wheelbarrow and started attached it around the encased crystal.

The Emperor saw the familiar face.

“It seems that the son of Tomas is part of this,” he looked at Old Fred then back to Mavin. “It seems that the young son of Tomas still has his herculean strength. You must be so proud, Fred.”

“I am pleased by your words, my Emperor.”

The Emperor wanted to say more, but he took notice of the change of expression in his son and daughter. Even the Grand Dukes watched the machine be assembled by Mavin. The suit that Mavin wore groaned and seems ready to give in at the sheer weight of the materials he was lifting.

However, everyone in the room knew of the peculiar strength that Mavin had. It was rare for him to show that strength of his that even the stone-faced Imperial Royal Guards grew curious at the sight of it. Even Rene wondered if he could still lift the machines without the help of such equipment.

Nonetheless Mavin had enough understanding of the machines and the ability to assemble them. It would have taken a lot longer if there was a need for others to take instructions. Kristine was the only one who was displeased by the way Mavin handled the machines.

As Mavin connected the last part and turned it around with the strength of his grip. He took the measuring device and attached the wirings on the side. Then, he took a small rhombus-shaped crystal, which looked like a miniature version of the giant crystal and attached it on the socket. The small bulb in the machine lit green and there was a hum in the air that sounded across the hall.

Rene nodded at Kristine and told everyone to stand back just in case. The Emperor stayed on his throne, arms folded as he watched Rene take the spot in the middle of the hall. Rene faced the Emperor with all the confidence that he could muster.

“What you see here my Emperor is the working battery of the hydroelectric crystal. Inside this crystal is what the Holmians had called fluid-like electrical charges that create the spark that powers the machine,” Rene took out another crystal from his bag. “However, holding the crystals alone does not create the certain spark that we desire.”

Rene offered the crystal and let the Emperor take a look. He fondled the small crystal before handing it back.

“It does not produce any current.”

Rene nodded. He spun and signaled for Kristine to start the machine. The machine that was operated by Mavin started to hum madly. There was power being directed to the crystal and finally there were small orbs bouncing against the crystal.

“Through a series of electrical discharges at repeated set intervals, the fluid-like electrical charges in the crystal would create a frequency of electrical waves. One hundred megawatts of power generated within an hour interval. We can raise the number efficiently, however there is a danger that the crystal possessed. As your majesty must have heard about the incident that happened in the Academy. Without the proper container and casing, there is a chance that this power will cause harm. However, we cannot deny that this is a dangerously suitable power source for what your Majesty desires.”

The Emperor nodded. “I’ve…already read this from the reports I have read. To see the power of such a strange combination of nature born out of a simple accident. A wonderful object that could only be possible after many years of recreating the process that would produce such structure. Doctor Rene Abe and Doctor Kristine Torre. I’ve heard of your efforts and there are many who laud the two of you as my Empire’s brilliant minds. Merit alone makes you two worthy to be handed this project.”

The Emperor stood up and drew his sword. “I shall allow this project to be in your hands. Contact my Minster, and I shall allocate the budget that you two would need.”

Rene went down on one knee. Kristine followed and bowed her head. The Emperor placed the flat of his sword on their shoulders. The bestowal weighed heavily on Rene’s shoulder. Though he accepted this task out of pure curiosity, to disappoint the Emperor would be detrimental to his and her reputation.

As the Emperor bestowed them their blessing. Rene’s eyes widened at the strange sound. When the Emperor lifted his sword he set his eyes on the machine.

Rene turned.

Then he saw Mavin taking the spark that was discharged from the machine into the metal-part of the exoskeleton.

He glowed as if struck by thunder.

Mavin Tomas went down on his knees

Smoke seems to come out of his body and he coughed a mouthful of blood.

“Mavin!”

Rene ran to where he was. His hands unsure where to touch.

 Mavin gave him a half-squinted look. “It seems that I mishandled the casing.”

He stood upright, not minding the grotesque zigzagging wounds on his left arm. He turned to the Emperor. “May I have the permission to get myself treated, my Emperor?”

The Emperor glared. “It seems that there is a need for work to be done. Do not let this thing ever happen again.”

Rene bowed.  “As you wish, my Emperor.”

He noticed that there was great change in the Emperor’s eyes. The curiosity that the Emperor had turned into caution at the machine. Rene could only smile helplessly inside. It seems that somehow, the Emperor had finally noticed how dangerous the machine was if left unsupervised.

You could say this demonstrated well the dangers of this contraption, Rene thought. His ears barely heard the words of the Emperor.

30