Chapter 47: The Ghost’s Hunt 1
791 2 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Mavin went to the Imperial Palace’s ward to get himself treated. Usually, such wounds on his left arm would have needed an amputation. His robust arms still function. He could move it well enough that even the Imperial Doctor found it disgusting how steely and firm his arm was even after it got electrocuted.

Mavin had padded himself with anti-shock materials. Though he resisted half of the electricity that was consuming him. Another second of that would have fried his brain and internal organs. 

There was no reaction on the back of their hands, it is limited, like in the memories, then does this mean that they are keeping it a secret? No, their brand should only allow them to easily observe the machines.

Mavin hardened his senses. The Doctor wrapped his arm with a clean cloth and inspected him. The nurse who was assisting the Doctor stared at his clothless upper body. Mavin could feel the stare from the other medical practitioners.

Scars, laceration, and claw marks were present on his body. Throughout the war, it was not strange for someone to get hit by a loose rock being propelled and shrapnel. With the boons he had gathered before the war, his body, though already strong from the blood of the Strongarm Clan flowing in it.  Became even more sturdy that he was confident in taking damage as long as it was not fatal and did not directly hit his vital points.

I made sure that there was no reaction. I don’t have enough excuse to test anyone forcibly, Mavin thought. This would have been far easier if I had that.

Mavin felt relieved that there was little reaction to the royals. They already know that the Null and Magi existed. The rest were either ignorant or pretending to be ignorant of the matter regarding the Null and Magi’s fight.

The Emperor still looks neutral to me at least, Mavin recalled the eyes of the Emperor. I guess he doesn’t look so disappointed after what I had done. I wonder how the Emperor is handling the affairs in the East. Still, if it’s the Emperor, he wouldn’t care if the Null and Magi fight until they start destroying everything. The Royal Huntsman would just come out and deal with them.

Mavin knew some of the uncompromising beliefs of the Emperor. Mavin knew both in ‘memories’ and from the teachers of his forefathers of history before the founding of the Empire. While his ancestors came from a land that was ravaged by the true enemy. It did not mean that they stopped from fighting the demifiends. The bond of alliance that the Emperor and the Strongarm Clan was meant to last until the day the last Emperor of Athesia. 

It made the Lazon Region and the Empire equal in standing. Only one region could hold the title of the Marcher Lord of the Empire, and that title belonged to the Tomas Family.

That reminds me, I haven’t had a private audience from the Emperor. Not as a Tomas member, but that of a Constable and Enforcer.

Then a man in a cloak entered the ward. He signalled Mavin and left the ward without a word. Mavin let the Doctor finish the treatment. He bid the staff of the imperial ward goodbye, and left, following the footsteps of the Royal Huntsman. He walked on the carpeted halls. There were lavish decorations, ornaments, and expensive wares everywhere he passed.

The Imperial Palace was large and each hall was either filled with staff. The maids and labourers frequent the halls, There were constant guardsmen patrolling the halls. After a while he reached a room where the Royal Huntsman had gone. Entering the room he found the armoury guarded with five people. The five looked at Mavin and nodded their heads. They operated the mechanism behind them and let him through.

Mavin could hear the sliding passage close behind. He followed the narrow path and relied on his sense of direction to find the right passage. Reaching the sliding hatch, he pressed his hand against the hatch and slid it to the side.

He got out of the passage and entered a secluded room with only two people inside. One of them was the golden-haired and golden-eyed figure who was quite healthy for his age and the other was a pain for his heart.

He didn’t take the knee. He remained standing with a frosty expression on his face. The one in the room observed him and his left arm before nodding. “You’ve the guts to show your face in front of me, then again, you are still my godchild, Mavin Tomas.”

“Emperor,” Mavin nodded.

“It seems that it barely hurt you, seeing that you can move so easily like that.”

“The blood of my ancestors keeps me strong,” Mavin said.

The Emperor watched him. The Princess, who sat next to the Emperor, watched Mavin with that lightless stare.

“What do you think of that technology?”

“Useful for the Empire.”

“I see. You seem to have made it so that it would be done. Nonetheless, I do not appreciate that you would meddle in my business, Mavin Tomas.”

“My Emperor, how could I be so brazen?” Mavin said tonelessly. “It was simply the Webman Company who wanted to be partnered with my family. As you have heard, I am merely another family member.”

“I plan to make Derrick Tomas the Marcher Lord.”

“A title worthy of my Cousin.”

“That is right. However, there are many who are concerned about the powers that Derrick Tomas have. Many call him the High King of Lazon when there are no imperial ears listening.”

Mavin listened. He kept his stare on the Emperor.

“Mavin Tomas, what should I do about this?”

“I believe that our loyalty is unquestionable. Ever since the years that have passed, we have acted as the guardians of the West. I am nothing more than a member of the Tomas Family, however, my Emperor. I do not take fancy to those who dares question the loyalty of my family to this Empire.”

The Emperor grinned. “If your words came from another man’s mouth. I would have not hesitated to cut you down. Mavin Tomas, we already know that I have loved you as my own child once, and yet you constantly disappoint me. Your merits in the war was enough to stave off that disgust that comes from myself. You bring fear and awe at the hearts of our enemies. And yet many know you as the fool who threw everything that you have built for the sake of joining the war. I would have called you the greatest fool, but I cannot ignore what you have done for your home and for the Empire.”

Mavin didn’t reply. He only stood upright. He could take on the Emperor’s words. He could run at the fiercest battlefield without worry. Yet he could not bear the stare coming from the Princess. A part of Mavin wanted to give in to this burden, and yet the thought of this self-imposed duty he had decided to carry strengthened his heart.

“I see,” Mavin said curtly. His face did show anything other than the same placid stare.

The Emperor thinly smiled. “What a great loss it is, truly. Mavin Tomas, do you know that both here and in the far east. They say that the age of Kings and Empires is slowly dying? Do you know why?”

Mavin didn’t answer. The Emperor continued.

“Knowledge was meant for those who rule. We keep the people ignorant, but not stupid of what role they play. The farmers must work on their land, those who have crafts are told to do what they are trained for. Scholars learned and once we carefully chose commoners who could obey. We keep the people ignorant of knowledge in hopes that they could remain meek and obedient. They need to follow and obey those who were given the rights to rule. That is the divide between the commoner and someone of status. We shall allow them rights as long as they do not cross the line that separates the noble and ignoble.. But as time has passed the world changes.  Man has this thirst for knowledge and the craving for that knowledge becomes an obsession. My ancestors had once told me that if you could not stop the flow of the river, you must ride the rider instead. 

“I allowed the ignoble to learn, think freely, and gave them the knowledge to be better. Education is a double-edged sword and those who have proven themselves with merit sometimes surpasses those who are supposedly of nobler origins. As we learn more, we know that there is more to the world than living like meek dolls to those who have nobler origins.

The Emperor looked at the paintings surrounding the room.

“The first to become enlightened was Holmia. There are many nations who followed this enlightenment and had finally  reached the continent. My Great Empire that had once encompassed the continent had been splintered. They seek liberty and fraternity through this enlightenment. We have been able to adapt to this change, by being lenient.  But how long until the Imperial Family becomes a mere figurehead without any power?

“This war taught us that the world is at a turning point. To fight against the change would be idiotic and naive. However, there are only a few who could let go of that power without a single thought. You are one of those.

 “Our people have become educated. They could write and read as if it was nothing. Even the smallest child could understand the imperial script. Back then, the ignoble would have to hire a scribe to write for them.  Even the most ignoble statesman can participate among the discussion halls. They are no longer ignorant as they were before.”

The Emperor studied his gloved palm and clenched it. “However, we cannot run away from the truth that is in front of us. This war had caused the lives of my people and  at the same time distracted them from the change that they had wanted before the war. I want to thank you for destroying the Revolutionaries and the death of Old Sable.”

“It was my duty,” Mavin said flatly.

“Yes, it is your duty. We have been able to keep a good balance because of the war. But it won’t be long until the feeling of victory subsides and they all go back to their normal lives. Our people need the time to mourn those who have fallen. So once they hear my plans for the technology that I procured. They might think that we are heading for another war. I am sure that my nobles and my ignoble politicians will try to question the Imperial Family of this new technology and our plans for it. It is unfortunate that they aren’t as uneducated as they were, and my life would have been easier,” the Emperor laughed. “However, there are forces that seem interested in this procurement of ours. Forces that slithers in the shadow as if they had the right to take a step in my city, in my Capitail, and in my home. I could forgive them if they had done it quietly and now they dare to fight under my presence? For what? For this greed? I could understand if my subjects show greed. But I cannot tolerate their presence any longer.”

Mavin took a step forward. The Princess took a step out of the shadows and carried a saber on her hands. The Emperor followed and he stood eye-to-eye with Mavin Tomas.

“Constable Mavin Tomas, I want you to bring me the heads of those who have violated the truce. You are one of the few who knows who these two groups are. Bring them to their knees and remind them that they are in my city.”

Mavin eyed the Princess dully. He took the saber and the sheath and wrapped it around his waist. “All of them, your Majesty?”

“Break their legs, Mavin Tomas. They must be reminded of their place in this Empire of mine. They have crossed the line and lost my patience.”

“I wish you good fortune,” the Princess said, offering her blessings, before finally taking a step back in he shadows. 

Mavin was planning to let the Nullers and Magus easily if they did not interfere and keep out of sight.  However, the Emperor had reached his patience, and the only thing that Mavin could do was break their legs so they may not stand on this city again. In a way, he had found an excuse to do what he wanted to the factions that concerned themselves to the affair of the Empire.

It was going to be a long day for him.

28