Chapter 149: The Duties She Uphold
298 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     Natalya walked out of the private plane, adjusting her eyes to the light that bounced off a side mirror. Walking down, she pushed in her pocket and walked to the car service prepared for her.

“Madame,” said the valet tasked to drive her.

Without replying she went in the back of the car. She placed a leg over her lap, and leaned in while the driver took her to the hotel where she would be staying. Flost had become the center of transportation after the unification of the Magnar-Azia continent. It was also where the bullet train would stop, be inspected, and go on again. Flost city itself became a symbol where the Magnar-Azia had held their conferences, meetings, and even the state representatives of the Confederacy had to come to Flost and state their reports, demands, concerns, and requests for their various states. The only one exempt was the Lazon Autonomous Region, though supported by the Confederacy, was independent, and ‘loyal’ to the Confederacy as long as the head of state was of royal blood. In respect to the Viola Family, who manages the Circle of the Pact, which is the highest state-secret of the Confederacy of Athesia.

Although it wasn’t fully urbanized because of the topography of the land. The city itself expanded over the years, and there was no need to create such scrapers unless there was a lack of space. Not to mention that the city becoming a regional hub made expansion and development slow down. She was under guise, so she did not spot any journalists trying to take a picture. Although she rarely goes out unless there was a need for her to appear.

She had left Velia and Velna to take on the problems of the Holmian people. As much as she would like to take her dearest students everywhere, they are grown adults that have learned the way of the world. She didn’t raise them weak, reliant on anyone, and were individuals who strive to use what they know. Of course, no man was an island, so she had taught them to keep their pride in-check. The two had experienced war, felt it, and knew that it was only true careful examination of what may happen that they could succeed in the troubles that they must face in the future. She was proud of them, for what they have become despite the tragedies and near-death experiences that they have experienced throughout the years.

Goodness, she felt old sometimes, but nonetheless, time was kind to those who are long-lived, and through time that she had healed, and warmed herself through the embers of hope that kept her soul alight, her path clear. Nonetheless, as time passed, she grew impatient because Wendy was still at the hands of the people that took her. Not to mention that she heard no information about Wendy despite the people that she has in this city. To elude the city government, and enter this city unnoticed made her wonder about their connections. Natalya wanted someone to investigate them, seek them out, but with Wendy in their hands, and the clear indication that they held no fear against her made her tamer than her usual solutions.

She arrived at her designated hotel. Welcoming her was Hilda who had been her assistant, and the third person she had given the crest that seals their pact. She was led inside the luxurious suite where she found a seat, sat back, and waited until Hilda settled across her.

A beautiful  woman with  blonde hair that covers one side of her face and tied in a braided bun, green eyes  and a large chest. Her clothes, elegant and black with her pencil skirt showing the contours and figure of her body. She had a business smile.

“How is Lazon?”

“Fine, Madame,” said Hilda with a soft voice. “Though there are matters that need the attention of the Matriarch. Sahus has recently expanded, and the management in the mouth of Pustalo hopes that the port can be expanded because of our recent efforts in reaching Withamia.”

Natalya took the document Hilda prepared. It detailed the request of the Administrators of the Mouth of Pustalo. “We will have this discussed in the budget for the next year. As much as I like to get this over with, you know that we have been greeted with problems.”

“Indeed,” she raised her right hand and showed the streak lightning crossed a crown that was marked on the back of her hand. “I have tried to sense Miss Wendy, but it seems she cannot be easily detected. The board had asked if there was a need for a temporary replacement, but I had taken care of the problem, Madame.”

“Good. I need those fools to be silent for now. Wendy will come back, but she’ll be taken to Sahus immediately once I recover her from the people who have her.”

“Madame, I don’t understand why you would allow these people to have her still.”

“Minerva had one of Kismet’s Tale, Hilda. An artifact that possesses power over manipulating the sparks. And the people we are up against had easily destroyed Minerva, and had dealt a killing blow to her despite being surrounded, dealt with two of the most dangerous individuals in the Turian Continent. Not to mention that this one holds a black iron sword, capable of negating any sparks. Faced with the unknown, it would be best if this would go to a peaceful route, Hilda.”

“I see. If that is your choice, Madame, then—”

Before Hilda could speak further, Natalya felt a disturbance of the flow of sparks somewhere in the city. It felt like the sparks just disappeared like it was nothing. Hilda felt the disappearance as well with how her expression became steely, losing the loose attitude she showed Natalya.

“Find that source now, Hilda. Prepare yourself for whatever it is.”

Hilda turned her attention outside and the light was deflected off her body. Natalya sensed that she flew and through the bond of sparks that were connecting them, she was able to track her until she appeared to the location where the sparks vanished. She felt Hilda returning, and after twenty minutes of waiting, Hilda appeared once again, her expression rough.

“What happened?”

“I found this, Madame,” she took out a letter. Natalya recognized the letter. She took the letter, unfolded it, and read the contents.

      To the Guardian,

   Forgive me for the loss of sparks, but there is a need for me to get your attention without you sending troopers, police, and authorities to our location. One of the men that obliged me to hand the letter should be in the place where the loss of sparks happened, and if your sparks haven’t burned then this letter is made for you, Guardian.

Natalya snorted. “It’s them.”

“Should I have the man captured?”

“No, it’s nothing more than a messenger,” she continued reading the letter.

Miss Wendy has cooperated with us, and has been healed of her minor wounds, of course, until I know that you truly are on her side, then I shall not hand her over. Though she believes that it is the guardian of her family. Peacefully, I would like to conduct this exchange, and we only ask of you to leave us alone once she is safely handed. Of course, if I learn that you are trying to deceive us, and you aren’t the guardian of Miss Wendy, then I shall personally make sure that you are dealt with.

The rest of the letter was the address of the exchange.

“The arrogance of the young is truly astonishing,” Natalya said. “If this person thinks I am an easy prey, perhaps I might have to beat this person to the ground… unfortunately he has Wendy.”

“However, this one is well-connected and arrogant in his words.”

“It’s not arrogance, Hilda. It’s the sureness of how it is penned that makes me careful. This person had evaded, blinded, and had us following instructions. I am confident that I can break this person if I wished to, but  at the same time it would cost me a price, possibly my life as well. I had seen this person’s handiwork, and how Minerva, who should not be my inferior, had been easily defeated. It is not our way to be demanded, but this person chose to meet in the Centre, it's the halls where I would meet up with this person before he will hand me Wendy.”

“Shall I have it aimed at, just in case?”

“No need. I will not take a chance with Wendy around. Never.”

“I understand, Madame. Shall I hand you a coat instead?”

Natalya stood up and smiled. “You know me too well, Hilda.”

Hilda took the coat she prepared for Natalya and helped her wear it. With her coat on, Natalya walked out of the balcony, looked at Hilda and said, “When I’m back, prepare food. She might be hungry and prepare the plane. She shall immediately fly for Sahus. She started to hover  while reflecting the light, masking her descent on the streets where she blended in the crowd, her legs leading her to the Old Centre.

All that was in her mind was the duties she needed to uphold for the people she had promised to take care.

11