Chapter 150: To Try And Understand
390 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Mavin checked on the gear he hid behind his suit. He looked at Wendy first, then Gaul who was readying his SMG. “We’ll keep this clean if possible, but if there are any signs of thread, I’ll fire the flare, and you two will make your escape.”

“Understood.”

“I don’t think that anyone would do so.”

“Let’s be careful, just in case. There are no absolutes and some may take this chance to get rid of you. Paranoid, yes, but better to be that way than a loss of life.”

“I shall go first, secure the area, and then wait for your Guardian.”

“Boss, you do make me feel like I am a child that needs guidance.”

“If you somewhat interpreted it that way, then forgive me.”

Mavin left first, he didn’t stop for any store, shop, or took time to feel the city. He went to the Old Centre, though it had not fallen, and was rather old looking compared to what it was. This sight of ‘tragedy’ was kept for the sake of those who died here during the party years ago. Taking a step in these old halls made Mavin feel like he thought of the days. There are changes to the Centre’s Hall, but it was minimal compared to the change that had happened all over the world. Mavin went down on one knee, and knocked his knuckles on the floorboard. He looked around the halls before eyeing a part of the hall where he recalled a moment. It was far too long already. And regret was not something he didn’t want to do. Not when he could avoid it. But it was not time for sentimentalities, and right now he thought of the have and need to do’s.

He braced himself in the part of the wall while thinking what he should do next after this. There were problems in Holmia that needed caring, and despite what his desires were. He couldn’t leave Aunger’s children. Not that he could do more for them when they have grown into young adults that had helped him greatly on this affair.

I should take a chance to visit the Hill. Visit the head City of Lazon, and take a long look at Lazon before I go out. Lazon’s doing well without me, and I have no face to show them.

Mavin affirmed to himself that. He was surprised that Timon Denzel was alive, and perhaps there are still people who might remember him despite the years that had passed. No, don’t cling on that, let go of it, and focus on what is in front of you.

Mavin at least tried to do so. But being close to home and a place where he had memories made him uneasy. Still, he had to do this so that Wendy could be truly safe. It was paranoia perhaps that kept him from easily trusting, nonetheless, he wouldn’t dare to risk the life of someone. She’ll be home, and I will have time to think. That is if they let me go after this. I doubt that.

It would be foolish to think that they would just leave them alone after demanding them this much. Showing his prowess in battle, avoiding their guardian, and effectively dealing with their enemies would have made them want to at least know them. Of course, there are also chances that they would propose an alliance or try to destroy him. Unafraid as he was, Mavin didn’t dare to risk the life of Gaul and Stefanie if he could help it.

They let us in this city means that they either are willing to do this peacefully or we somewhat avoided their prying eyes. My actions might have attracted some of the magi that have regained their sparks, but it’s a risk that I have to take now. The bloom, the crest, it’s only available to those who have the will to produce them. There shouldn’t be too many of them in this city.

Mavin pulled on his left sleeves, on the watch, and rested his back on the column while staring at the walls without a thought in his head. Mavin held his head, wondering whether he should take a bite somewhere after this. He looked at the watch again, and then pulled on the two-way radio that he had handed to Gaul.

“Wolf, anything new?”

“No, Boss. I’ll radio if there is anything that might be a problem. “

“Good. Remember, if there is anything that might go against your gut, then immediately take the car that Timon had lent us and run away from this place.”

“Roger, anything that I need to know, Boss?”

“None, I’ll keep you posted when there is a need to, over.”

Mavin pocketed the radio in his coat’s pocket. His head looked to the door and felt a presence. That should be it, Timon told me that no one comes around here other than the curious, and there’s nothing to steal here either. Lots of meetings have been done here, and the rest of the plaza has a wide area preserved for military parades, and landings. Guess I should greet this Guardian.

Mavin strode to the doors and although the lights made him unable to discern the face of the person. He could at least recognize the figure as a woman. As if ingrained to him, he pressed a hand on his chest and greeted with an imperative voice.

“I am called Alden Dinia, I thank you for the chance to do this peacefully. I understand that there were chances to hand her over before coming here, but we choose not to take a chance when it comes to her safety. We mean Miss Wendy no harm and we would like nothing more than to return her safely as possible. So let me thank you for coming here,” Mavin said, head still bowed.

“Your name...you call yourself Alden...Dinia?”

“Yes, that is my name, Madame...ah…”

Mavin raised his head and met eyes with the woman. The light that came from the entrance was gone and without such light obscuring his vision. He saw a face, although had grown mature, had remained relatively unchanged.

Her lower jaw shaking and eyes trembling as she looked at Mavin, trying to control herself, as if trying to take in what she was seeing. Mavin took a step back, then he squeezed his eyes and tried to open his mouth.

“Don’t you dare speak,” she said sternly, voice trembling. “Don’t you dare ask me a question, I want answers, please.”

Mavin nodded.

“Did you lie to me? To us? If so, why have you shown yourself just now? Where were you when Lazon was attacked? Where were you when your family was in danger? Where were you when Little Elia, the poor girl, had no one other than Elna and I around? Where were you? Please, tell me, let me understand this.”

The cold fury in her voice… The voice that seems so tired made Mavin think slowly.

“Speak up, we’re not children, not young adults. And I’m not planning to lash out. I need more answers for now. So, will you speak up? Please, just, answer me.”

“I had to recover because of my wounds when fighting the Exiled One. The damage that I took had to be recovered...it took me fifty-seven years to regenerate, recover. I only awakened recently.”

She studied him with her complex expression. “Was it Aunger who hid you then?”

“Yes.”

“No wonder he was hiding things… going so far to split up with the country he had fought so hard for.”

Mavin could feel the sparks surrounding her. It was refined, hardened, and far more dangerous than the last time she conjured one. Logically, it only meant that she regained her power, and that his blade should be drawn by now to cut that power off before it could grow stronger.

Imperator, that was the title she was born with and her right. It was a title that would crown her to become the known-continent’s ruler until those who have good hearts could remove her from power. Mavin opened his mouth slightly before a blast of force came out of her.

“I told you not to speak. Not now. You owe me this. You may not have thought of it, but I was your partner despite how we were bonded. I wanted to make it work that one day I would chip off the walls, and truly be loved back. Then again, you probably thought of my words as misguided, no, did you even think  of learning? Or was this all part of your schemes as well? Tell me, please, tell me,” her eyes blazed red. The force of sparks that came out of her would have made anyone kneel.

Mavin stood tall and answered as calmly as he could, “No. I have made preparations in hopes that I could defeat the Exiled One without recovering for years. I want to take the chance, and in the first place it was a gamble.”

She glared at him. Her eyes however betrayed her. AS much as she tried to compose herself, it felt like she was being treated to a joke.

“Fifty seven years of enduring. Do you know? When Lord Derrick died, when Sister Alma perished… I wanted to be strong for them. A little girl, a little girl that had no one other than a widow caring for her. It all went to hell and yet do you know why I chose to stay? Why do I choose to carry the duties that you should have? Because you cherish Lazon, fought for it, and I mourn you for that. Years have passed, although the time I spent in those nightmares is nothing compared to the years that have recently...fifty seven years is a long time. A very long time, and yet despite it...I did my best. Tried my hardest using embers, and what do I see? The man I thought to have died, alive, breathing, and in front of me once again...what a joke… did you know who Wendy is?”

“I have my suspicions about who she was.”

“She’s Kohl and Maria’s granddaughter. I’m her godmother, and I came here to take her back.”

The sparks that she wielded vanished. Mavin noticed that her left arm was still missing, though from the looks of it. She had reinforced her silver hand with black iron.

There was a great silence between them. She kept her head down, trying to calm herself. Mavin stayed still. He didn’t move. He didn’t protest and let her calm herself.

“You cut off my hand because I wielded the sparks once. Now that you know I can wield it again, do you wish to cut it off?”

“The seal holds...you’re only gathering what was left in the world.”

“Will you?”

“No.”

Natalya studied him for a second before walking to the small staircase leading to the hall. She sat down, not minding her appearance.

“What? Expecting more? It has been years, yes, I still cannot wrap it around my head, but do you know what? Despite the years that have passed, even if you are lying to me. I am just glad that you are alive. I’ve cried my tears away a long time ago. I just don’t know what to say.”

Mavin didn’t know what to do either. He just stared at Natalya before taking a seat next to her. “Will you allow me to speak now?”

“Go ahead.”

“I won't make any excuses. And despite what you are wielding  on that hand of yours, that is telling me to strike you down, for once, I don’t want to either.”

Mavin thought of Aunger’s journal. How much she had spent in protecting Lazon and the family that he could do nothing for while she held the burden. He was surprised that he could keep his cool and don’t let that same paranoia make him act first. Mavin felt ashamed and he could not raise his hand either. He dropped on the ground and sat next to Natalya, unable to say anything. He wiped his face and looked at the hall.

“Let’s talk. We came here to go through this peacefully, in the first place.”

Mavin said to her, on which she nodded without a fuss. Exchanging words rather than blades, bullets, and fists. The two talked calmly, politely, and tonelessly as they could.

 


Book 3 Part 1 End.
Thank you for reading this far!

15