Chapter 156: Book 3 Interlude – A Heart Still Made of Cracked Glass.
665 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Mavin had arrived in the capital using a helicopter. He stood in the door of the ancestral house that remained the same, and although he was quite surprised to see old wrinkled faces in the house when he opened it. When he walked in with Natalya, the two elderly-looking Rigel and Mimi widened their eyes. Rigel held his head for a moment, before the two gingerly walked and wrapped themselves on Mavin.

“You two looked old.”

“It’s cheating, I tell ya,” Mimi’s eyes poured tears. “I somewhat knew that you ain’t dying easily, young master.”

Rigel stood away and saluted. “Welcome back, young master.”

“Rigel, sorry, to just die like that.”

“How did it come to be, young master? Are you alive?”

“We should sit down then.”

Mavin told them what came to be. Rigel and Mimi weren't surprised about all the details about the boons and the sparks. Mavin thought that they had probably learned it a long time ago. By the end of his explanation, the two stared at Mavin with a thoughtful expression. Natalya sat next to Mavin, watching the three of them quietly.

“I thought that if I saw you again, young master, I would have been angrier. Now that you are here, I still do, but I can’t bring myself to do it. I’m too old to be angry.”

“I feel the same, young master.”

Mavin nodded his head slowly. “I thank you for the understanding. Even though I returned, I wouldn’t be taking what I don’t deserve. I have chosen to help Natalya, and ease the burden of rule.”

“I see,” Mimi smiled, turning her focus to Natalya. “I’m glad that you two meet again, Madame. I thought it was a shame how you two were separated. Have you catch up?”

Natalya nodded with a meaningful smile which Mimi seemed to have understood. Rigel shrugged his shoulders, and started talking about his family, the state of Lazon, and how many things had been done. From his lips, came out concerned about the continents of the south, and the recent problems with the royalty in Holmia. Mavin didn’t want to talk about politics and problems for now so he decided to stop Rigel, and asked them if they could have dinner together while they were in Arkadia. Mimi decided to cook a meal, and had them wait for it to be done. When the meal was prepared, the four of them ate with such quiet peace.

“Thank you for the meal, you two,” Mavin said to them as they walked out of the doorway. “I’d like to spend time, but we have things to take care of.”

“No problem, young master,” Rigel said in a low voice. “I think that your concern should be how to meet the little lady. She is after all the last blood-related family that you have.”

“I know. We’ll be heading to it now.”

“Good. Please visit us when you have time, young master.”

Mavin stood in the doorway and gave Natalya a meaningful look. “I can...give you two a chance, do you want to?”

Rigel widened his eyes then laughed heartily. “As much as it is tempting, young master,” he looked fondly at Mimi. “I would like to decline your offer.”

“What about you, Mimi?”

“I share the same fate.”

Mavin nodded stiffly, before pulling down his hat. “Then I wish you great days to come. See you later, you two.”

Mavin walked out of the ancestral house, entered the car, turned on the engine, and pressed both hands on the steering wheel. He looked at the windshield for a moment before snapping out of it.

“Lost?”

“I thought they would accept it.”

“If they were far younger, I think they might have accepted it. Not everyone wants to live forever, and share responsibility and the burden. Not after what had happened in the civil war.”

Mavin didn’t reply. He stepped on the gas pedal and drove to the helicopter pad where a transport vehicle waited for them. The operatives that waited for them landed their gaze on Mavin before giving a heart-to-head salute vigorously.

He could recognize them as his hounds. Greyed and battle-hardened, the hounds were proud to show their faces at Mavin. Mavin returned the salute and boarded the helicopter. After gaining clearance, the helicopter started flying upwards, following a route. Entering the clouds, passing through it, Mavin saw the engineering marvel that he once had dreamed about. The air carrier was flying just above the clouds. It took ten minutes for the helicopter to land on the air carrier. On the deck of the air carrier, there was a legion of soldiers welcoming their arrival.

He was surprised that Gaul, Stefanie, and Edward were on the carrier. Although Edward was rather wary about the soldiers surrounding them. Stefanie and Gaul walked with confidence towards them.

“Looks like they found you and brought you here.”

“Indeed, we’ve become associated with Lazon now,” Stefanie said. Then she turned to Natalya and greeted her. “Madam, it has been a long time since we’ve last met.”

“Stefani Strom, no wonder your father had made sure that I could never find you two. And Gaul Stacker, I’ve heard of your merits as well.”

“I’m gracious for the praise, Madam.”

The two were clearly affected by her demeanor. It was always a wonder to Mavin how she could quickly change her expression. That solid mask she had made throughout the years had worked out well for her.

After the greeting, Edward introduced himself, and then followed them quietly inside where they gathered the attention of everyone. It was then that Mavin spotted a military-man who wore Holmian colors.

“Colonel Vito,” Natalya said, her voice cold as ice.”

“Madam,” he greeted, then turned to Mavin. “I’ve been informed that you are the Lady's husband. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Sir.”

He offered his hand in which Mavin took. Colonel Vito tried to put some pressure, but was unable to squeeze his hand. Mavin lightly put pressure into his grip which made the Colonel flinch badly.

“You’ve seen the work of my husband,” Natalya said. “He has been secretive and as you can see, he has finally decided to join us again. I’m sorry that we had to hide this secret, Colonel.”

“It’s not a problem, Milady.”

After greeting the Colonel, they entered the interior of the air carrier, and were welcomed by the curious staff. The first one to meet them was Elna, who had become much more mature compared to what she had looked like years ago. Wendy was with her, and she accompanied Elna.

“Young master,” Elna said. “It is good to see that the blood of Tomas still lives on strongly.”

“Elna, you’ve done well, and I’m ashamed that I can do nothing to repay you for your service to the family.”

“No, it is my pleasure to serve, as always, Sir.”

“Thank you for saying that, I really do appreciate the years of work that you have done for us and my niece.”

Elna’s face cracked and she started crying. Mavin was unsure of what to do. He wasn’t a mind reader and the thoughts of a person were beyond him. After calming down, Elna led them to the inner sanctum where a figure waited quietly and anxiously.

Mavin stepped in. The figure who Mavin couldn’t recognize resembled Alma and Cousin Derrick. Mavin froze. He had thought he had hardened himself. But seeing the niece he barely knew and couldn’t protect made him freeze up, unable to gather courage to say anything. Seeing his expression, Natalya quietly told everyone through her gaze to leave while they settled this. Elna stayed behind while Wendy escorted everyone to the lobby where they could wait.

“Elea, you’ve grown lovingly well.”

“Big Brother, it’s nice that you returned.”

She wore a frozen mask. It resembled Natalya’s own mask and yet Mavin could feel cracks on that mask. Elea approached Mavin, and without a word she slapped Mavin on the face. Mavin barely felt the pain. Seeing him unmoved, Elea slapped Mavin around, not saying a word other than showing her anger and pain. When she calmed down, she looked up to Mavin, and saw that his face remained the same. Her legs limped, Mavin caught her and held her up.

“Now, that’s what you should have done, Natalya.”

“I could still do it if you want to,” Natalya replied while shrugging her shoulders. “Elea, your big brother, let him explain, okay?”

Elea nodded. Mavin spoke about what happened to him. What he had done for fifty-seven years. Hearing him talk, Elea truly calmed down. She looked Mavin in the eyes and said.

“Back then, Ma, Pa, they did their best. Tell me, Big Brother. Did they know that you were alive?”

“They do.”

“Then why didn’t they wake you up?”

“Because I would still be a melted corpse. The injuries that I took from the Exiled One made my regeneration factor obsolete.”

“You know, Ma, Pa, they did their very best. I did my best as well. I thought that happy days would come, and yet I didn’t lose hope you know? Because Big Sister Elna and Natalya were around to help me. I learned from them well.  They are my family. More than you could ever be, Big Brother. They were here for me when I was lost and needed help. You weren’t. I always wondered what made Ma, Pa, and Big Sister think so highly of you. And even now I always thought it was because of what you did for Lazon. I didn't understand it at first, but if the civil war happened and we didn’t have such a robust industry. I don’t think that Lazon would have been able to recover from the war. I grew up wondering and only when I grew old enough that I was able to understand that in a way, you still helped.”

Mavin didn’t reply. He balled his fist hard and squeezed his eyes so hard before opening them again. Elea’s look made it clear that she was curious about what Mavin was thinking.

“I did nothing. I avoided responsibility. It was the easiest thing to do. Fight an exiled one, and defeat it. All that bullshit about doing it for Lazon? I did it for my sake. I wanted to get revenge for my father and mother. I wiped out the demifiends because I hated them. I made those bombs because I wanted to use them. I needed a robust industry and a wealthy Lazon to do it. I wasn’t planning to stop. If I had won the battle with the exiled one without suffering such a wound. I might have continued until I became a madman. I did it on my own. I did it because I was a selfish bastard who had nothing in his mind other than winning.”

Mavin kneeled down in front of Elea. The mask of strength that he wore crumbled into pieces. He could take it. He thought. But all he had been given so far was forgiveness, understanding as if they understood what he had to do.

“Do you know what I thought when waking up? Regaining my memories? I thought of the mission again, and told myself that I should chase after the mission first. But what did I get? A fucking journal of Aunger, depriving me of what should be my duty and mission. I barely thought of Lazon, and focused on those ‘missions’ that would bring me purpose.”

“Big...Brother?”

Mavin’s face was a hopeless wreck. “All I did was follow shit that made me think I could do something.  Aunger took what I have...and I have nothing. I’m a sorry excuse, you don’t deserve to think like that, Elea. You don’t. Not towards me. Not to a bastard like me.”

Mavin didn’t know why he just shattered. He thought he was doing fine. But hearing from old faces, and seeing the last member of his family broke something in him. He truly thought he was doing fine, but now he doesn’t know anymore.

He just feel like he couldn’t take it anymore.


Thank you for reading.  This is the last chapter before series is on a break, so until then, I hope you look forward to the next book!

12