Chapter 169: The Sphere of Merez 4
224 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

       “I recognize this person,” said Cecilia. “So you were the person that Kohl Otto keeps mentioning. I see. No wonder that man is close to Confederacy. This explains a lot.”

Mavin Tomas didn’t respond. He kept his eyes on the sphere. Cecilia wondered what was going on. What does Mavin intend to do?

“There are many concerns regarding the use of the sphere. I’m sure that you already know that,” Mavin said to her. “That it is an artifact that violates the privacy of the soul. Merez himself was a master archmagi that was equal to Kismet and the Imperator. Those who touched the limits of the sparks. Do you want to know why I want the sparks gone?”

“Was it because of the Exiled One?”

“Partly, but also because the Exiled One is limited in its ability to gather energy in this world. Then the Exiled One wouldn’t be able to produce spells that could wipe this land.”

Then the scenery changed into something else. A scene of death that Cecilia found herself unable to respond to. It was a scene of the Exiled One wreaking havoc in the known continent. She could recognize the landmarks in the image.

“The truths usually aren't so simple. You can understand this, right? Why would I be so fanatical in destroying the sparks and making it limited. This world wouldn’t stand and we would have to fight the demifiends who would have become the minions of the Exiled One.”

Then there would be horrors unimaginable. Those who gather sparks must once again relearn the sparks to survive.

“It’s funny how it always goes back. Right now there are individuals who are making use of Nuller technology to bring forth weapons that use sparks. What I didn't expect is that the use of the sparks would be alive.”

The sphere displayed imagery of what followed next. Cecilia saw everything that transpired. The detonation of the nuke in the demifiend womb, the island where they gathered and the defeat of the Exiled One.

“So you were asleep most of the time. No wonder the civil war happened. I see. But is it okay to reveal all of these? To me? You do realize that I am part of the Old Magi.”

“It doesn’t matter much,” said Mavin. “Besides, it should be able to make you understand that I see things.”

Different events that might happen. It was strange to her however, since it felt like she was watching through the filter of a screen when she saw the images.

“Then do you know what will happen next?”

Mavin turned to the sphere of Merez. He tried to produce an image when suddenly the sphere showed nothing but a black void. There was a cold silence and staring at such blackness made Cecilia shiver. As if there was something preying under the cover of the void.

Then the sphere flickered back to showing the original image that it showed before Mavin Tomas interfered with the imagery.

“What’s that?”

“A problem that I need to fix.”

Then the image once more changed into a rather familiar view. Cecilia had seen this scenery when they were asked what their thoughts were in the genocide of the demikin. She had seen this perfect cone of a volcano that could be seen from miles.

The perfect cone of a volcano then exploded. Bringing forth an age of darkness that covered most of the known continents in ash rain. The plants started to die. The waters were contaminated and food became scarce as the result of such widespread disaster. It was not the explosion itself that was a threat but the result of said explosion to the environment.

“That’s something that your people will have to do something about.”

“You expect us to stop mother nature?”

It almost made Cecilia laugh.

“Kismet was known for his ability to create massive domicile spells. He was close to God, while Merez was trying to create his own spells. Kismet wanted to create his own domain and make use of the sparks to create his own sub-world. To do this he needed to create a conduit that could handle the amount of sparks he needed. If Merez wasn’t so arrogant and had he met Kismet. Can you imagine what would have happened? There would be sub-worlds because of their combined genius.”

“Are you creating your own domain?”

“Something like that.”

“That would mean that you would rob the sparks around an entire area. No, the amount of creation that you’d need. It would halve the sparks.”

“Withamia is an ancient site where the Old Magi had been living for decades. There are many secrets that reside, but it was said that once upon a time, the name of Haymouth came from a four-legged beast that once had nested here. It was said to be a great attractor of the sparks. Some say it was a demifiend, no a dragon that stood like a small mountain with a wingspan that covered wheat fields. Kismet’s tale, the artifacts he had made were carved with the tale of the dragon and its ability to attract the sparks. The first spells made from sparks were created from the tongue of a dragon. If combined with the sphere of Merez that could bring forth an image of what the person wants. Said person could create a world of his own.”

“But it would cost energy. Enough energy to cripple a place of the sparks.”

Mavin nodded. He grabbed the sphere of Merez by hand and took it away. “Cecilia Athesia, former Princess of the Athesian Empire. I wonder what you think of all of this?”

“You are going to destroy my home, Mavin. You’ll make this land barren if you decide to do what I think you’ll do. There are other places you can use.”

“Indeed, but I don’t have the time to gather energy. Like I said, Haymouth is formed like a basin, and what I have right now is a basin filled with sparks.”

Mavin Tomas took something out of his pocket. “One kismet artifact isn’t enough, I’d destroyed one artifact, but three is all I need. Unfortunately, this city has one of the artifacts that I need.”

He joined the two together. The artifact was devoured by the sphere of Merez. Mavin Tomas walked towards Cecilia and patted her shoulder. “Thank you for your cooperation in this,” he said softly. “And I think it would be best if you tell them this.”

Cecilia groaned. “That’s it then? No matter what we do, this city will still suffer!”

“I know.”

“You’ll have enemies for this.”

“You saw what will happen.”

“You’re being too impatient.”

“Perhaps, I am.”

Mavin Tomas raised his left arm and palmed the walls of the vault. The restrictions that were placed in the vault were shattered. Cecilia stood still, clenching her gauntleted  hand.

12