Chapter 176: Rational Hatred
249 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Cecilia came back to her peers with a downtrodden expression. She walked in the chamber and immediately found  them staring with furrowed brows and interlocked fingers. The heavy air in the room was all she needed. She explained her case to her peers. Her fellow Magi listened. Their faces became heavier as she continued.

“So Bellatrix chose this path?”

“I cannot blame her for her choice. She has respect for the Magi, but you know her personality. She is stalwart and her husband, who she cherishes, will try to harm himself to complete the ritual. We have a choice here,” she raised a finger. “We bring every Eastern and Western Magi, who barely have any experience in combat, to fight them.”

“They wouldn’t agree. We are too few.”

“And so you want us to abandon the city!?”

“Archmagi Cecilia, tell me, what are your thoughts?”

“My thoughts?”

She gave a hollow laugh.

“You intend to fight Lazon and the Combined Arms of Holmia? Have you all forgotten that we aren’t as well-laid out as before? Our Aspirants cannot withstand the combined arms. And have you also forgotten that the same woman owns MOST of Magiborne? They have the Powered Vulcans, the Circle that she made herself. Among her circle, have the best defensive shielding because they were the earliest to gather the spark! They do not have the taboo of using Nuller sparks, and you have seen what the HOUNDS could do if provoked. I would rather wage war with anyone other than them.

“We are geographically surrounded by their allies. Their very own flying fortress is above us, ready to rain down fire. I saw the darkness in her eyes. It was the same eyes that managed to win the civil war in Athesia. You do not understand the danger. We are poking the hive, and its queen is ready to drive us all dead if we dare to harm them.”

There was a moment of quiet. They all discussed among themselves using the equipment’s projection. Cecilia knew that it was beyond them to abandon the city. To abandon them was to bow their heads. Cecilia, personally, hated the idea of leaving this city. She had lived here for years and treated it like her home. She hated the idea. The thought of it made her seethe inside, but what can she do?

Her magi, her disciples, and the rest of her students would not live. Her pride was nothing compared to the lives of the aspirants who journeyed here to learn of the bloom and the sparks of life.

 Emotionally, she loathed it. Rationally, she would rather have her aspirants live than die fighting a modernized army with supersoldiers, powered armor suits, and fast-flyers who can destroy their flimsy shielding.

Once she thought of their powers as might, but against technology, and the sealing of the sparks, it was nothing. She was confident that she could block bullets, but can her shielding withstand bombs?

“Believe me I say that I hate to leave. Our traditions have been keeping us well for the last years, but we also must understand that we are powerless. We have always hunted for knowledge, and to understand the core of the sparks. But are we to bury our people and the aspirants with us? We swore an oath before the people, and to the Magi that we will protect the sanctity of the people.”

“It is shameful…”

“I know. But I had told you that a greater threat comes. I will not excuse the two villain’s actions. It is deplorable, and in some way we can use these as an advantage. We have no greater reason than before, but if we let this be then we will have a rallying call for our fellow Magi.”

Cecilia slammed her hand.

“The Tomas Family brought down the pale to the city of Haymouth. We will not tell the reason, but we will make sure that everyone will know what they will do. Perhaps, Champier, Egneia, and some of the Magi branches are going to listen now.”

“But a city… just for this?”

Cecilia’s shoulders sagged. “The two are not so unreasonable. I will have our artifacts, tomes, and books moved. All Magi shall help. They will cooperate. I shall have Governor Korav warn of a ‘threat’ and that we must evacuate people.”

Cecilia once more scanned the projections.

“I am sorry that I could not be so strong,” she held her hands up. “But I have thought about the right choice to be made. I can point the blame with you people not being around. But as part of this Magi circle, I am sworn to protect them.

“It is good enough that they are not heartless villains either. Do you think that they could have done this quieter? I believe if the Ghost of Dinia, and Bellatrix worked together, we would not have been able to know. It is  a small blessing that they think of me.”

Old age had made her rational. At the same she felt vindictive and wasn’t willing to let this go either.

“This is the choice I made after so many considerations. We were too idle and in the end we had to choose bloodletting or surrender. Nonetheless, if Mavin Tomas is right again, then he intends to help out. It is unfortunate that we have no other options.”

“Does it have to be our basin?”

“It is. It’s our home and one of the places where the sparks are gathered. If you choose to defend this basin, our home, then I understand. But I will prioritize the safety of the people of Haymouth.”

Her peers were clearly feeling awful at the whole of it. It was downright shameful to admit, but they made them feel so helpless. Cecilia wasn’t going to let the Old Magi think that reforming their beliefs was wrong. If this wasn’t a lesson that they needed to take seriously, then the Old Magi Circle was going to be helpless against the powers. It was no longer the old world, and even the sparks couldn’t scare those who have the firepower.

She had to be realistic on how to approach this shameful event.

12