Chapter 39 Revival of Film Department
1.3k 0 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What is it?"

"Oh my god, is this...?"

"Wow! I'm not dreaming, right? We're going to start making movies again!

David took his time enjoying his coffee as he watched William rejoice over the script that he brought over.

Why wouldn't he? This script is a great sign that their film division is now revived!

William had done everything he could to improve their film division at the request of David. Personnel changes, expensive hardware upgrades, the introduction of new talents, and the hiring of veterans for their experience.

As much as it was troublesome to accomplish this task, having to complete tons of workloads and going through multiple talent pools, and also poaching from other companies, William feels like it was not as hard compared to the real challenge Hollywood companies have to face.

You see, many companies can also do these things, but in the end, the success of the company will only rely on one thing, the core of every company in Hollywood, Movies.

Even if they can perfect everything else, movies will still remain the lifeblood of many companies, the element that will determine the potential success of the company.

However, even if this was such an obvious thing, many companies still struggle and even more ended up falling off and shutting down after taking in losses after losses.

This is because movies are very competitive. There is only a limited number of days each year, a limited number of moviegoers, a limited number of theater screens, and every company have to share it.

The large companies can easily force their way into getting their own slice, but for the smaller ones, they only had to rely on their movies popping, and many times they are still taken advantage of with no way to fight back.

However, in the end, all of this, success or failure, lucky or unlucky, depends on the product itself, the movie.

So scripts, especially the high-quality ones, are usually in the collections of those huge companies. The only way for them to get their hands on a good script is to use a lot of money.

Or, they can also create scripts themselves. But what are the odds of companies having talented writers that can remain consistent?

These talented screenwriters also experience producing failed works, and their success stories are only determined by how many great scripts they make, not by how many failures they created.

This should highlight how much of a challenging task it is to purchase the right copyright and at the same time profit from it in its box office results.

Success in Hollywood just comes with too many barriers, and sometimes it just feels impossible to break through.

This is why their company used to sell videotapes of 'decent' movies they bought. Compared to those giant entertainment companies, it does seem like they are fighting for scraps.

But all of these thoughts disappeared when David told him he could write movie scripts for the company.

When he first heard it, William reacted in a very normal way.

He didn't believe it.

William has a lot of experience in these kinds of things, having been the CEO of a fairly successful Hollywood company.

There are a lot of these 'writers' who write scripts and send them to their company to be bought. Well, he had one thing to say about them. Their company is not a charity foundation.

They do not buy trash, but on the outside, he remained polite and chose to send those writers away with good wishes.

The main point is, writing is easy but writing movie scripts with high box office is too difficult. This is why some writers, those successful ones, can demand box office shares for their work, and companies accept their conditions.

It is just simply too challenging to produce high box office works.

David would obviously understand the thoughts of William, so after telling him that he has the ability to produce good scripts, he also brought with him his first work, SpongeBob.

After looking over his entire copyright of SpongeBob, including the illustrations and episodes, William couldn't help but feel excited.

What is talent? This is talent!

Of course, what came after was him convincing David to create his beautiful work but starting up SpongeBob now isn't realistic.

David wouldn't beg other TV Networks to broadcast his work. He would also not accept being taken advantage of by them once they see this treasure of an animation, so he chose to hold SpongeBob until he can broadcast it himself!

Willian immediately backed down after hearing his concerns. This is understandable. It doesn't matter. They have all the time in the world. They can wait.

After that, he had already forgotten about it, but now that David brought another script, he couldn't wait to look through it himself.

"Haha, our company finally has a new project again!"

William almost danced in excitement, feeling his face starting to get stiff from smiling, holding the manuscript firmly in his hands.

"Okay, calm down."

"You can register the copyright of this work as soon as possible."

After sitting back down, William still showed excitement but still nodded seriously.

"Yes, yes. I understand."

"Keep it secret for now. We can reveal it once we officially begin the project. Make sure there will be no loopholes in the copyright other parties can use."

William's eyes were fixed on David, continuously nodding his head on all of his instructions, remembering it all in his head.

David had full confidence in this movie. After all, in his past life, the "Saw" franchise accumulated a total box office profits of $874.1 million, making it one of the most successful horror film franchises in history.

The first "Saw" film earned $103.9 million worldwide with a production cost of $1.2 million, with its subsequent movies being more and more successful.

With their low-cost budget and horror movie's stable audience, breaking even is expected, and profits are almost a guarantee.

For the movie "Saw," David knows how successful this film is going to be, and he felt that it is suitable to be the first film their company is going to produce.

Why? This comes down to its genre.

Many genres such as musicals and romance have a specific group of fans. This can be said to be the same with science fiction fans, but science fiction movies are usually very costly, so there are many risks surrounding their production.

Many of these genres not only rely on engaging and entertaining plots but also on the protagonist and their popular casts.

Only the audience of horror movies will watch horror movies just because it is a horror movie.

The thrilling atmosphere is the main reason why moviegoers enter the theater, not because of a popular actor being in the movie.

The barrier of entry for horror movies is not very high. It only needs to be scary enough.

David has sufficient confidence that "Saw" will just be as successful as it will be in the future. This classic movie will shine whatever year it is released.

Nine films of Saw had been released, and each of these films had small production costs and huge box office returns.

In his previous life, Lions Gate Entertainment made a lot of profit from this franchise but now...

Thank you very much!

"Okay, for the rest of the week, I will be very busy. After I come back in the next week, we can go over the details, budgets, and everything. For now, you can read and see for yourself."

"Yes, boss!"

 

 

 

New Chapter five times a week! (Except Tuesday and Wednesday)

 

21