Prologue 0
910 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My daily routine starts as anybody else's: Waking up, doing daily hygiene, only after that does it diverge. Usually I go down my apartment to the bakery at the end of my street for the daily bread. For many years that had been my daily ritual, but today was different, for today was the day I was dying just a few meters before the bakery.  

 

Why am I dying? Well that one is easy to explain. ` I was hit by a car from behind. All I noticed was the sound of tires braking and that's it.

 

And now comes the interesting part. ` How am I narrating this to myself as if I am reading a book? ` Well that is because I am staring at my own body from a bystander's perspective. 

Better said about a meter in front of me my body lies on the cold asphalt. Behind it one can see the car that hit me and behind that car lies another one with a few scrapes here and there but nothing major. 

 

From observing it I concluded that if I had not been hit by it, it would have been a small accident. The car owners would have shouted at each other a bit and that should have been it, but alas they just had to hit me. The funny thing is the people around are looking at my body as if expecting it to just wake up and say “ I am okay don't worry ! ”.

 

That would not happen as I was currently outside my body. When I looked at my hands they were wispy and if I looked closer I could see through them, even if only barely. The same could be said for my whole body, although my current self somehow still appears to be clothed, though wispy as well.

 

` From the surprised looks around me I guess, I had not been hit as hard as I thought and should have stood up already. `

 

` Now what should I do? Return to my body or explore my current situation?. Hmm, before I decide to, let's check my body at least, to see if it's truly dead or just unconscious. `

Walking up to it I touch myself on the chest. The moment I touch it, knowledge comes out of nowhere and I understand my current situation. 

My body is truly dying. If I do not return my current wispy form to it soon, it would shut down permanently and with every second I delay the physical body would weaken more and more, but I instinctively knew I had but a few minutes before the point of no return. 

 

` Hmm, if I consider that knowledge came to me suddenly from somewhere, the same should happen if I wanted to know how to fix this situation. ` And it truly came. ` Apparently all I have to do is imagine my wispy self pouring back into it. Sounds easy, `

 

` Dissecting the method a bit more should give me a more detailed answer. Lets see, first imagine my current form as a whole, to feel it from the head to the toes as one. ` That one should be easy for me right now. ` Then imagine the form changing integrity as if going from a solid state that was unchangeable into a liquid which can change its shape to fit any container. ` That one should not be hard either. ` Once my current form shifts, imagine the core of my current form, which is the heart, to flow through my wisp form and touch the point where my wisp form and the physical body are in contact. Once my heart is back inside the physical body the rest of me should follow immediately. `

 

Reviewing the knowledge for a few seconds more I turned my attention back to my physical body that I was still touching with my right hand and first imagined my whole wips form. Then I shifted it to a liquid state. Concentrating for a few seconds the shift happened and it was a weird feeling. 

While my wisp form still looked solid from the outside, it felt as if I could change into anything I wanted to be but at the same time it felt as if I was less ME and more something else. 

` I am not sure what but I can ponder on that later once I am back alive again. `

 

Past that mental block I focused on my wisp heart. ` Even in a liquid state my heart still retains its shape as if some unknown force is still holding it in form `. 

Few seconds after pondering on that force I refocused on the heart again and started pulling at it. Immediately the heart lost its form and started elongating on one side and slowly started to flow to the right shoulder and down my right arm to the elbow, then the wrist and finally the center of the palm and was in the moment my wisp heart touched the physical me that everything turned wrong as if the Universe was telling me NO.

 

In that moment I blacked out for a second. Once I came to myself, I immediately felt a pull on my wisp form as a whole and it pulled at me from a certain direction behind me. With the unexpected suction my wisp form had been pulled away from the physical body a bit and I lost contact with it. During the blackout my concentration was lost making my heart return to my chest and back into its heart shape.

 

Few seconds later while processing what happened I looked behind myself and noticed a thin trail of skin leaving my wisp form. ` Or should I call it wispy clothes? ` Maybe because the amount is miniscule I do not feel it leaving me, even though I could still somehow feel the suction going on.

 

` Don't have to consider much to know that it was Death that was calling me. Too bad for him I am not that ready for it yet. ` Deciding to ignore it I went back to my current task of living once more. 

Reestablishing contact with my physical body I urged my liquid state heart to move again. This time despite being prepared the blackout still happened. Coming to myself a few seconds later again I felt the pull again but this time much stronger. Turning around again I saw a greater amount of my skin/cloth layer leaving as if it was a punishment for daring to refuse its calling. 

 

Wondering if I am perhaps destined to actually die today for real I tried it again and nothing changed. The pull got stronger again. This time I noticed while the amount leaving me is the same the pieces of myself are bigger. 

 

Being in this situation I considered, if I still had any big enough attachments in this life to risk it more. 

 

I was born in a good family, while not rich or anything even close to that, it was enough to live out a decent childhood with good and bad memories. It's only in later years of high school that things started to fall apart. The parents divorced and I stayed with my father who brought the money home and I never regretted that part. But, maybe in response to that I turned to gaming to spend my time with. 

 

As the years passed by and high school ended, I failed into college the first and second time and never bothered again with it. At that time I still had contact with friends and family but as time went by even that happened less and less. 

`Holidays do not count for that as I still had religious family gatherings a few times a year, which I could not skip. `

 

With time I lost interest in games while I still do play the occasional game. I switched my interests to basically anything else that could entertain me, but it was mainly online novels to read. 

` Man, if I had read as much in high school as I did in life later with novels I could have fucking been done with 2 colleges easily. Sadly studying is never as fun. `

 

And now here I was, close to 30, and the thing I regret the most is not having slept even once with a woman. ` I swear I tried. I really did, but every time something came up or we were interrupted and I gave up on that too. ` 

For many years I thought the Universe was punishing me for something I did in a past life or something, and when I thought really hard for a bit I came to only one conclusion. 

 

When I had been a kid and in later years too, some family members would always ask me every time we met up “ Have you found yourself a girl? When will you marry?. “ In response I always said '' No and I won't marry before I am 30 anyway. “ 

 

I never understood why I always replied that way even when I was little and it didn't even matter but in my net surfing years I came upon a joke. The joke went like this “ If you are still a virgin until you are 30 you will become a Wizard. Deep down I identified with that joke and hoped something would happen when I was 30 and 30 and 30,30,30. “ 

While that 30 number struck me hard I looked around myself and remembered my current situation and had an epiphany. 

 

In complete surprise i shouted to my surroundings “ HOLY MOLY It's happening, It truly is happening!!! ” Though I had a feeling nobody would hear me anyway I didn't care even if they did.

 

Renewed with new hope I turned back to my physical body to try again but stopped myself at the last second as a thought came to me.. ` What if i still fail and the pull increases again and again until it's too late then. No, that won't do, I need to know more about my situation first. `

 

Turning back again and looking at the trail leaving my wisp body I wanted to know where the pull was coming from. Immediately my vision somehow followed the trail of my wispy skin/cloth bits leaving me through people, buildings, and much more until it came upon a tiny black point. 

 

Knowledge came again from somewhere telling me that black point is the end of this World and the start of the Void. ` I am pretty sure this Void is very different to the referred void when one leaves the planet. `

 

Hesitating for a second I followed through and immediately felt the Infinity of the space between spaces where Time and Space did not have the constraints of the physical one. One could spend Eternity in the Void and leave all while no time passed in the World. 

 

` At least if one is sane enough at that point. ` The moment I felt that Infinity my vision stopped and returned to the here and now. Having come into contact with it I knew that if I somehow get stuck in there there is no coming back and would have to spend Eternity only to turn mad and maybe something much worse. ` Who knows if something can exist in the Void, I certainly do not. `

 

Thinking about it for a second I turned back to my physical self and tried it one more time, but the same happened again. Coming to myself I immediately looked at my wisp form and noticed even bigger pieces of myself are leaving me. On some parts of my wisp form I even noticed my skin gone and muscle showing. 

 

Sighing at nobody, I turned back and followed the trail and reached the boundary of the physical World and hesitated for a second but followed through. This time being prepared I weathered the feeling of Infinity better, at least enough to not cancel my vision. 

Trying my best to ignore everything or better said nothingness, I focused on my wispy bits and followed them with my vision. As there is no meaning to time in the Void I have no idea how long I had followed my bits but eventually my destination was reached.

 

There in the distance I saw a tiny point of light, Soon it grew bigger and bigger but once I was in front of it it looked like a tiny globe. Again my knowledge came from somewhere and told me, it's a tiny little bubble of Reality in an infinity of the Void, but none of that mattered. 

NO, NO, no no no, none of that mattered because once my vision saw what was in that tiny bubble, for when I saw what was in it, IT saw me too and for a second which did not exist in the Void and for a second which to me felt like an eternity I FELT ITS HUNGER

10