1 An End and a beginning – Rhiannon
46 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'It's been a while since the weather has been this fine', Rhiannon thought as she left the laboratory.

The sun created a warmth that reminded her of the past summer. She felt like the pouring rain of the last few weeks had been nothing more than an imagination. But still- it had been less than ideal to spend the best day in weeks inside. On the other hand she wouldn't have missed her days program for nothing in the world.

She considered herself one of the most fortunate students in the whole veterinary program. Being one of ten students who had been chosen as participants for an internship in the Clan-laboratories. A world renowned institution that studied the so called Clan-mutations. Those tiny supposedly virus induced changes in DNA that made the difference between humans and mystical creatures such as dragons. It had been the two most exciting weeks of her life. They had had the chance to elaborate the differences between their own and the clans DNA. It felt more like a recruitment program than an internship. They had been taught thoroughly no mistakes allowed. Rhiannon had been top of the program, elated by the opportunity. Even more so as they had extended a job offer to her. She had beamed with pride when they did. But right now she was fairly tired. All adrenaline had dispersed.

She yawned. Trying to loosen up the cramps in her back she stretched and bowed herself still standing at the topmost step. Rhia looked back as she descended the broad stairway and admired the buildings architecture for the last time. The old villa served as a laboratory with highest technical standards on the inside and a century old facade on the outside. It was the perfect mixture of old and new and very fitting for its purpose. Researching century old creatures with the means of modern times.

Even though the sun was still shining the warmth now slowly dissipated. An icy wind arose and carried a trace of the October night. But right now the whole world was clad in gold.

Rhiannon walked slowly through the streets enjoying the sun unwilling to reach her small and empty apartment any sooner than necessary. No one waiting no one caring. Nothing to do besides tugging in some food and going to bed for an early night. She missed her parents dearly.

Cutting herself lose of this depressing train of thoughts she thought about her day in the research facility instead. A smile appeared on her tired looking face. Those two weeks had really taken their toll on her. She had barely slept. Either due to her excitement or due to night-shifts. Rhiannon still wasn't really clear why there even was a night-shift in the laboratories but there was and it was mandatory to participate. They were really testing if one was hard enough to be recruited into their organization. Her internship had been part of a program sponsored by the shared founds of both the veterinary and medical school. It was co-financed by university funds and the company owning the laboratories. Recruitment and scientific opportunities. They got the chance to take a look at DNA samples of the ancient clans and their bloodlines. The laboratories were looking into the connection between DNA and powers.

This kind information was heavily guarded and they had to sign a contract with several clauses regarding secrecy. Information like this was worth a fortune and highly sensitive as well. The clans didn't want to be outed by anyone. It would have caused another witch-hunt. Like it had when their existence first got published. People feared them too much to let them be. The clans were special...

The clans or ancient clans how they were called were partly human. One could see this fact the first moment one was looking at their DNA profiles. But that was nearly all of their resemblances. Their DNA was the most human trait of theirs. Of course thy were mostly sporting a human form and took part in society without being recognized. But looking at their other features that had been published a year ago one would not believe that they were living among human society all along.

They were no ordinary people but dragons, phoenixes, vampires, werewolves and so on.

Their outing had been a forced one. Used to be living in secrecy for the past centuries they had to step in the spotlight of public interest. Unwilling but forced by the new passports that featured a DNA mark. Press and public were excited. Nearly 10 percent of the so believed human society was not actually human. Fairy-tales were at least partly true. Horror-stories as well.

This knowledge came with fear, uproar and opportunities. Opportunities for those who tried to use those powers for themselves. For those who tried to flee their life...

Several organizations were looking for data on those magical creatures that wore human faces. Nearly starting an other witch hunt like in the middle ages. Riots, warlike scenes in the streets. People crying in fear and anger. But fortunately the governments remained adamant about secrecy. The first shock had passed in the course of a year. Quiet and a new balance seemed to be slowly setting in. All new but nothing changed at all.

Right now only fans and Otaku were openly interested in the clan-members. They planned conventions and tried to rope them in. But the clans remained, as they always were, secrecy loving and reluctant to take part in any of those parties. Disappointing fans and keeping their distance to the mortal society.

An other scandal once again flared the public interest in the clans. Some tiny paper got the biggest story in their history. The inner circles of the governmental structures had been long informed about magic and the clans. Some people even uttered their that those circles were consisting of those unholy creatures as they called the clans. It seemed like those people wanted to take out the Hexenhammer (Malleus Maleficarum) and practice some burnings. But thankfully the middle-ages were long gone. Though the people spreading the news were less than trustworthy, their message did hold truth.

The cooperation indeed was real. Government, military and secret services had long taken advantage of the special abilities of clan members. Obviously.

Of course there had been scientific studies too. The most popular study stated that the genetic changes e.g. the ability to transform into a dragon was a sort of non contagious slow virus infections changing some part of the DNA. However an irreversible change like that might work. Giving the ability to swap forms like clothes. Rhiannon snorted thinking that they merely scratched the surface of the topic. She kicked some lose rubble aside. The girl didn't even know how it got there, the only stain on the perfect pavement. 'This little piece of rubble is the whole amount of human knowledge of the world we are livin' she thought.

It slowly got darker as she walked through the streets which were bordered by nice brick house and tiny gardens. The bricks were still warm and emitted and nice atmosphere. Roses and hydrangeas completed the picturesque scene. Nice cosy homes with people living their own lives without much of a disturbance.

As the sky got darker so did Rhiannons thoughts. She thought about her parents. They were recently staying at a war zone working as doctors for doctors beyond borders. She sighed. It had been her who wanted to separate. She wanted to have a place called home to stop moving around like a nomad.

The lifestyle of a nomad had been hers since her early childhood. Always abroad always the new kid in town the freak at school. New cultures new people but in one way they were all the same. Distrust towards strangers. Fear of the new. The bizarre. But since fear isn't the nicest emotion to feel people often swap it with anger and disgust towards the unknown.

Being bullied is a state one gets never used to. It stings every time. But one gets better at avoiding. Avoiding bullies, avoiding others and subsequently avoiding possible friends. A child once burned shies the fire. And she hadn't been only burned once. That left her with an attitude her mother had described as highly cynical and fatalistic. But at this point her daughter didn't even care about the worries her mother voiced. Better loneliness than treason. That was the reason Rhiannon did totally understand the clans reaction towards public attention. None. They didn't trust others for they had been persecuted- more than once.

It wasn't the first time after all that fear of the unknown lead anger and disgust at a totally different level in comparison to school bullying. Fanaticism and being the crown of creation lead to several sad occurrences in human history. Skin colour, religion and lesser differences had been misused as a reason for cruelty. To trample the unusual and procure more power for the leading group.

Lost in dark thoughts Rhiannon walked home, getting a little faster due to the cold wind. Nearly at home the first street-lights were lit and Rhiannon searched her bag for her key.

Suddenly a loud bang coming out of a narrow pathway startled her. Followed by a a groan of pain. Her instincts let her freeze in spot. Silently searching for her mobile instead of her key.

She looked around the corner mobile in hand. Knowing that this was a stupid move the moment she did it. But right now it was to late.

There were four men in the pathway three clad in black standing over a youths in jeans and t-shirt. The leader of aggressors held a sword in hand pointing directly towards the boys carotis. The other two fixated the youths arms and legs rendering him unable to move. His face was heavily injured swollen eyes and bruises all over. Even a bloodied line divided the front of his shirt. Blood kept on seeping.

Rhiannon knew she should flee and call the police but the shock still rooted her.

The leader raised his voice in an unmistakable threat. 'you are gonna tell us now who you are searching for. Otherwise you are forcing my hand... I really don't want to break both your arms. That would be a painful experience my dear little prince. Even your healing abilities won't lessen that pain for a couple hours. You wouldn't want to have your royal mother worrying about her little star... It's been a dump decision of hers to send a whelp like you into our area. But maybe she doesn't even know about your little adventure... Does she?' he asked with a cruel smile.

The blond boy looked at his opponents with an icy gaze keeping his mouth shut as the swords tip drew a little blood, only cutting the skin, no further damage. The leader led the swords edge across the prince cheek living a red stream. Wincing he said ' never. I am never going to tell you.'

The leader smiled at the answer. He had hoped for it. 'Why shouldn't they have a little fun before they got what they were here for?'he thought. Playing with one of those darned arrogant dragons was definitely not business as usual. He looked down on his prisoner, lying helplessly at his feet, and said 'shame. Well if you keep on being stubborn I am going to test your self-control a little more. Let's have a look... How do you think you can keep up your human guise when I start slicing you? I think there have been the first few scales on your cheek. Am I right, dearest? A nice sparkling bright shade of blue just like those eyes of yours, little dragon. Maybe it would be safer for the person you are guarding not to change into a raging monster in her neighbourhood... Don't you think so?'

The boy bared his teeth in a predatory way. Sharp fangs appeared and retracted again transforming into human teeth. His eyes looked suddenly much less like a humans and began to reflect the street-lights. ' He is a predator. A dragon. I got to get away.' Rhiannon thought panicking. But her feet still won't move. Her heart raced in her chest. Fingers got slippery.

The boy seemed to be panicking too. His loss of control seemed to be a clear indication that his instincts got the better of him. Scales appeared and disappeared again. He spouted ' You won't get away with that. Nobody is going to believe in your innocence.'

The leader chuckled cruelly and answered mockingly. ' Right my dear nobody is going to believe us. How could they believe us. A bunch of heroic vampires sacrificing their own safety to keep a raging monster at bay. I forgot all the nice romantic stories they are publishing about your kind. You're always the dramatic heroes afraid to hurt your beloved woman... Oh wait that's our cover not yours... Weren't you called the beast the incarnation of the devil in the Bible? Right pup, no one is going to believe our story. Remember we're in Europe not in Asia.' the leader knew he got his target cornered. Either he would comply and tell them which human scum was supposed to join the dragons or the little prince would transform and be killed in action. Which would of course be very opportune for the vampires aim in the council of clans. If they didn't do anything wrong tonight they were definitely in for a reward. He smiled happily at the boy who fought both them and himself on the losing side.

That was the moment of Rhiannons demise. Her phone ringed loudly. Next moment a cold hand lay on her shoulder. The leader didn't even hold her fast but she knew there was no way out.

' Oh hello little cat. Don't you know curiosity kills the cat? What am I supposed to do with you right now?' he asked her in a playful way. Another pawn at his hands, Lestrat, the leader chimed. His cold gaze sizing up his newest toy. Rhia shuddered. 'let's see if a little pain on your side loosens up his stubborn tongue.' Lestrat laughed happily. His sadism would be totally satisfied in a while. It hadn't been this long since he had been turned but he had moved up ranks fast. He had the right attitude to please his clan-chief.

'let her be. I will cooperate. Don't hurt the innocent.' the boy gave in his facial structures more draconic than ever. He seemed too tired to fight any longer. Broken. Even though she feared for her life seeing a proud dragon broken like this made things worse. It felt wrong.

'how chivalrous. A beauty in need. That's all I need to break your stupid clans stubbornness. It is a shame how predictable you human lovers are. No fun in interrogating a lovestruck idiot like you. Is she even a friend of yours? Or just a random passer-by? Maybe even our target... ' the Lestrat inquired thoughtfully playing with his sharp nails on the soft spot of Rhias neck. 'this game will be even more fun than I could've dreamt of...' Lestrat thought delighted. Rhiannon could feel his anticipation and tensed even more. She didn't even dare to move a finger.

'I wish it was a movie of sorts. Because right now that would be a perfect moment for a heroic entrance.' she thought bitterly. Her gaze was fixed on the puddle of blood red and gold in colour that spread under the young dragons back. He wouldn't be able to help her in any way. That was if he didn't lose control and became a problem as well. Despair threatened to drown her. She wasn't able to do anything either.

' please Robin Hood, Kim Possible... who ever speed up and save us.' she thought helplessly. As if summoned a swoosh resounded. 'Wings' she thought 'maybe the boys family'

The vampire must have thought the same. His grip around her neck fastened. Right now he could break it like a dry twig. 'Damn. I got carried away while playing.' Lestrat thought and knew that he would have to sacrifice at least one of his minions to get away. 'well one can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.' he thought. His mission had failed. If his feeling wasn't completely wrong the one rushing to the scene was one of the mightiest dragons around. The brats big brother. People said he was even more unpredictable than Lestrat himself.

A dark figure appeared. Black wings and scales a dragon in his draconic transformation. Not human form and not dragon form but a disturbing mixture of both. A killing machine for close quarter fights. 'let go of my brother and the girl.' the newcomer hissed sharply. Lestrat shrugged as if unperturbed. But Rhiannon felt his uneasiness his fear towards this dragon. 'The crown prince himself enters our little meeting. An honour your highness. Why don't we come down to business? Don't ya see I've got all the cards in my hands? If you save this incompetent brother of yours I will kill this little darling here. If you save her my brothers will gut your little brother. Right now I can see your protective instincts fight with your rationality. You're such predictable scum. Never able to follow the path you set yourselves. Pitiful.' he mocked the black dragon. Lestrat knew he was playing with fire, but it was his only way of getting out of this situation mostly unharmed. He intentionally played the dragons instincts for he knew how strong those clan-instincts were. Lestrat just needed to push his opponent into the right direction to create an opening for himself to flee. So he added ' Either way you will reveal yourself as the monster you're. Black prince. Your cruelty is well renowned.'

The same moment the black dragon jumped forward and killed both his brother wards. He turned towards Rhiannon. But as the vampire said he was to late. The leader broke her neck in a single movement. And everything went black.

0