21 oracle – Rhiannon
22 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Being awoken by the space-ripples caused by the council-members arrival, both Morgan and her had listened to all of the council's discussion. It had been quite informative to her. Giving her the chance to compare her master's teachings to reality. It wasn't too far off, though a little biased, all reports. Only natural to justify one's own decisions and mock political adversaries. Those animosities had had centuries to ripe. Hard to believe but true. It was a miracle in her eyes the current period of peace had lasted for so long.

But even if it was quite interesting to watch. Rhiannon felt sorry for Mark, who was completely ignored by his new 'family'. Now they had even left without saying a word. Seeing this Rhia could perfectly relate to the dragon-clan's view of the phoenixes. Idiots, whose arrogance would be their downfall one day.

The vampires on the other hand were extremely dangerous, even though they were as arrogant as the phoenixes, they were cunning to the bone. And cruel. The young dragon shuddered as she thought of the vampire-clan's past deeds. Their killing-sprys had been even worse than her own clan's and that meant something. They tended to work with very shady allies. Some of them so sinister that the council deemed it necessary to stop them, which had ended some of the most brutal wars in human history.

But even though they were highly romanticized by novels, films and so on. Beautiful, tragic heroes for teenagers to swoon. The leeches were quite accomplished at the public-relations-sector. A sector painfully neglected by all other clans, disregarding a few minors. Phoenixes were seen as animals, slightly more intelligent, than most but beasts all the same. Tranquil and nice ones, like good steeds. There were some stories and legends that pictured dragons the same way, though more as monsters, but not nearly as many and even in those they were highly intelligent. Asian mythology even pictured them akin to gods. Well the European view was far less flattering. Karma and so on... how did her father put it, if you are not a saint you need a good public-relations-department to be still the good guy, no matter what you do. Sphinxes were quite non-apparent in most legends only mentioned as tomb-guardians giving out riddles to determine whether the adventurer was worthy to pass or to be killed. Not the best reputation either. One had to know most legends stemmed from a time the clans did not behave as civilized as today, neither did the humans, but the overall effect of a rampage clan-member was much more impressive than that of a single human. Those legends were warnings for young hot-blooded warriors to think before attacking. Not that it helped in many cases. But the stories lasted. And due to the long time of hiding, people were not able to integrate the changes of behaviour in their lore.

Right now those thoughts were quite idle and were of no practical use at the moment. Rhiannon rubbed her eyes trying to chase at least part of her exhaustion away by sheer will-power. Only her clan Lisa, the commander of the familia-unit and Mark were left in the old surgery-room. She sighed in relief as the tension of too many predators in a small space diminished.

Mark and Lisa had withdrawn to the far corner and were talking silently. The phoenix seemed to be much more relaxed with the werewolf than he had been with his own clan. Did they know each other? Feeling her gaze Mark turned around and started walking towards Rhiannon and Morgan, who was still beside her, seemingly unwilling to leave her even for a second. Mark pulled Lisa with him, who seemed to be shy in front of the dragon-clan's head and advisor.

Miriam and Merlin on the other hand were completely occupied with preparing Ethan to be transferred to the medical wing of the dragon-mountain.

'This is Lisa, my stepmother.' Mark said as he reached his companions, smiling broadly. 'And these are as you already know Morgan Drake, the black-prince and Rhiannon Marrow.' he added

'A pleasure, commander, I hope we will be able to contribute to your investigations.' Morgan answered quite formally.

Rhiannon suddenly unable to determine what to say, nodded and said 'A pleasure. I see you and Mark share a real family-bond. It is nice to see, that it endured the transformation. I hope it will be the same when I see my parents again.'

Morgan who caught her feeling of loneliness put his arm around her shoulder and said 'Why wouldn't it. You are such a wonderful person and they are your parents. Don't worry.'

Mark and Lisa looked at them and smiled. The dragon-prince would surely protect Rhiannon even from her own parents. 'I think so, too. My parents were quite shocked at first, but later accepted and even liked the community I got accepted to.' Lisa told her smilingly. 'It was actually quite hard for me not to tell Mark prematurely about the clans, because once you are a part you want your beloved ones to be protected as well. There are many advantages, as you are surely already aware of. Even for us minor clans.'

Rhiannon was not quite sure how to react to those statements, since they sounded like something published by a sect. She was really happy, that the dragon-clan had not behaved in this way. Maybe Lisa was just cautious, as far as she knew the minor clans were dependent on the majors and ruled by a council they had no say in. But those were the facts that were banned from the usual conversational topics. It could be regarded as treason to badmouth the council or its members. But Lisa's way of talking made Rhiannon feel uneasy. Even Mark seemed to be surprised by both Lisa's and Morgan's behaviour. They were acting as if it was an official meeting not a friends and family talking to each other. The two of them acted according to their social standing. A prince and a commoner. Rhiannon sighed. Morgan was behaving like a snob. Which was his default. And Lisa conducted herself accordingly.

'Well it's late we have to help at home. It was a pleasure getting to know you, Commander Lisa.' Rhiannon tried to safe the situation. Everyone was happy to take the opportunity and flee from the awkwardness of the current situation.

A little while later all dragon-clan-members, including Ethan, left through a portal Merlin had created. The dragon-to-be showed already signs of entering the later stages of transformation and changed into half-transformation as soon as they reached the medical wing. Miriam sighed in relief seeing this. 'Finally. I almost lost hope we could safe him. Now we can be sure he will survive. My guess is that his first full-transformation will occur around midnight. Would you two please watch over him at this time? He will regain his consciousness at the same time. It can be quite disturbing to awake in an other body than the one one is used to.' the dragon-queen asked. 'and please call me when he is awake. I want to be the one to help him fathom his new standing in life.' she added.

Rhiannon who had gone through the same as Ethan knew what Miriam was talking about and both Morgan and her nodded. They would help Ethan.

They were taking shifts as they were both exhausted from today's magical strain, but it was indeed midnight when the full-transformation occurred. It was a weird thing to behold completely different from later transformations, which were smooth and instantly over.

The first full-transformation was slow and straining. One could actually see the switch in the dominant form. The final fight between the human genes and dragon genes. Naturally the dragon-blood won, but it took its time. Forming wings, talons, a tail, elongating bones, building scales transforming and bending joints from bipedal to quadruple form. Spikes protruding, teeth falling out exchanged against more durable and changeable fangs in a long snout. All coloured in blood-red. And finally when Ethan awoke and opened his eyes groaning these eyes' pupilles changed from round to slitted. Rhiannon had stayed by his side, sending Morgan to get his mother.

'Hello Ethan, it's me Rhiannon. It is good you are finally awake. First of all no need to panic and second you are not dreaming.' she said looking into his huge dragon-eyes, which were wide with fear.

Ethan suddenly began to talk in an absent voice 'There was this student in this black hoodie. He grasped my hand and put something on my finger. And then next I am here.' he added shaking his head.

'yes you are a dragon. So is everyone in here. Don't worry it is not as bad as you might think. That ring the stranger put on your finger initiated the change in a way that would have killed you, if we hadn't intervened. We had no chance to safe your life besides turning you. I am sorry.' she said.

'I believe you. There are memories... I guess, they tell me to believe in your words. Are you by any chance royalty? Those memories are telling me to obey your command...' the huge blood-red dragon mumbled in a bewildered tone.

'I am a royal dragon... but the real royalty will soon be here... can you by chance tell in which power-level you are?' Rhiannon asked curiously for Ethan's connection to the inherited memories seemed much more direct than hers. In this moment Miriam and Morgan entered the room.

'I am a dragon-knight. And the ancestors tell me I am meant to be the clan's assassin. The Sidhe want me to tell you to prepare for war, for a change is coming and an old enemy is about to rise after tenth of thousands of years.' he answered looking into the eyes of the assembled dragon. Now he sounded like an oracle. An icy shiver ran down Rhiannon's spine. She felt that every word was true and dreaded their possible meaning.

Than his whole body shook and he asked in a trembling voice completely unfitting for his huge and ferocious appearance. 'What has happened? Am I a dragon?'

Now as the strange and haunting atmosphere had dissipated the three of them explained to Ethan, who was now only himself what had happened. He didn't remember what he had said, but wasn't afraid either. As if some of the self-confidence of the voice hadn't quite left. But that was a topic for an other time.

2