E185 – We will paint the walls with the blood of your men, women and children.
54 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Ares awoke the beautiful face of Asyllia appeared within his gaze. “Hey Asyllia, it’s all fucked,” he said with a sigh and then he sat up with some effort. “How did I manage to die in my sleep?” Ares rubbed his forehead.

“I do hope you are not dead,” Asyllia replied as she held onto Ares, staring down at him.

“I’m pretty sure I’m dead,” Ares said. He reached up and then brushed his hand along Asyllia’s cheek. Her skin was peach soft and warm. “Ah… am I not dead?”

“I don’t believe you are.”

“Well shit.” Ares sighed and then relaxed within Asyllia’s touch. “Am I glad to see you.” He brushed a hand along her cheek and stared deep into her eyes. “How is Rivea?”

“It is well.”

“Runar, Ozar, Ozri?”

“They are well.”

“Lana, Rori and the rest?”

“All is well. We had managed to put up some defences due to forewarning. The fort was taken, and a few of ours have lost their lives, but Heria managed to lead those that were welcomed as guests to Rivea. Some of our villages near the outskirts have been taken up by the oxfolk, but we have managed to keep them out of the city.”

“How is the army?”

“They are strong in heart and body.”

“Yeah they are.” Ares chuckled and reached down to his chest.

“You are injured.”

“Yeah.”

Asyllia pulled aside the blanket to see his stomach. “What is this?”

“A Silent’s black blade.”

Asyllia narrowed her eyes, her face painted with deep worry. “You are marked for death.”

“Don’t worry about me. Something like this won’t kill me.”

“Perhaps it won’t.”

“It won’t.”

Asyllia stared down at Ares. “We will need to temper your ideas.”

Ares sighed. “You can try.” He laughed.

“I see you have had quite the adventure. The Storm Lord and the Reptai…and a bitan?”

“Well…it’s a long story.”

“We do not have much time. The oxfolk had reinforced the fort with another thousand soldiers.”

“That’s good then.”

Asyllia stared down at him expectantly.

“It means Rivea has less to deal with,” Ares said.

Ares then left the open tent, made up of two large slabs of earth that had slotted together to form a triangle. He then made a hole and bathed inside it, warming up the water with his powers, though it did require some effort.

Ares offered to make a bath for some others, though they refused.

“We will bathe in our enemies blood,” Zika said.

“I don’t think that’s very hygienic, but it does comfort me a little,” Ares said. Ares looked out to see the number of oxfolk had indeed grown since the last they had seen. Then he looked around.

“Where are Emerli and the others?”

“They have yet to return,” Zika said. “The bitan and others.”

Ares nodded. He worried for them, but right now his attention was needed elsewhere. “Then…” Ares turned to Asyllia. “Can Rivea come and help us?”

“They are willing, but there are still oxfolk between Rivea and here.”

Ares nodded his head. “What of…” Ares sat down and then thought deeply about his plan of action. “Heria?”

“They can move swiftly, but they may come in contact with the oxfolk.”

Ares nodded. “Then… could they travel on the main road?”

“There are a few oxfolk there as well.”

Ares nodded again. “Then, for now, we are alone…” Ares crossed his arms. “Unless…” Ares looked up to the sky. “How many dragonfolk would be willing to fight?”

Asyllia stared at Ares. “I do not know.”

“Then… could you go and get-” Ares stopped his thought. “No. I have an idea.” Ares stood up and then stretched. “Return to Rivea. Tell them that they are to march whatever they can muster without leaving Rivea defenceless, along the quicker path.I want every wolffolk unit, as well as a heavy guard for it. You and Saykkera will protect the units from above. If there is a fight, try to bring a company of heavy infantry, my Roaring Tridents, and as many wolffolk archers to come through around to face the oxfolk from behind.”

Asyllia nodded.

“We will fight in the evening when the sun is setting, so the sun will be on our left and your right. If I do not see my troops there, I will continue to fight, and I will die without a Rivean beside me.”

Asyllia reached out and grabbed Ares by his forearm to shake it. “We will be there.”

“Then I will see you in the night.”

“We may do such a thing if we win,” Asyllia said.

Ares looked at her quizzically.

“Is there anything else?”

“Tell Lana and Rori to remain where they are. Tell them I’ll see them soon.”

“As you wish.”

“Oh,” Ares said as Asyllia made to leave, “and tell Runar, Ozar and Ozri father will be back soon.”

Asyllia nodded and then she bolted up, flying off.

Ares looked to Xan. “How much lightning can you summon?”

“I can create a storm that I will be unable to control right above the fort.”

Ares looked up to the fort. “I will be back.”

Ares then marched towards his fort that was currently occupied by foreigners. The oxfolk readied their bows, but the woman that he had spoken too before rode out on her ox.

“You wish to speak?” she asked.

“I do.” Ares nodded. “I will accept your unconditional surrender.”

“We do not surrender.”

Ares stared into her eyes. “I implore you to think otherwise. There is no need for any more death.”

“There is a need for death,” she said, “your death.”

Ares stared up at her.

“You are weak, Ares. Offer your head to us and we will leave.”

Ares clenched his fists. “You have killed my people, and you refuse to surrender. It is you who have dried the ink of your fate. Tell those that are unable to fight to leave to the West, the men and women who cannot fight, those that are too elderly and too young, tell them to head West. When we assault the fort, we shall not stop until every single one of your people are dead. We will paint the walls with the blood of your men, women and children.”

1