E186 – Soon.
49 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Evening had soon come. The oxfolk had sent someone during the day down the path, but Ares had soon lost sight of them. Ares remained ahead of the Reptai, sitting at the centre on a throne made of mound, one befitting his current status.

He was trying to rest up as best as he could, though the pain in his stomach did not allow him to. He didn’t feel quite as bad as yesterday and some of his wounds had healed.

“Soon,” Ares said. The words cut through the air like a blade, and each warrior nearby tensed up. The scent of death was encroaching. Ares inhaled deeply and then looked out to the warriors on either side of him. Zika was right beside him, on his right, and the tall imposing figure of Xan was on his left.

No oxfolk had left the fort. Man, woman, or child.

“Are you ready?” Zika asked. She could sense the apprehension.

Ares nodded his head, though he was unsure of himself. It was a question that he had no answer to, but he nodded anyway. He closed his eyes and hung his head.

‘I know that I’m not a religious guy, but… if anyone is out there, please…’ He couldn’t quite put his thoughts into words, but he asked for hope.

After a long moment Ares inhaled a lungful of air and stood. His figure imposed, like a tree with firm roots, the kind of roots that dig down and break through stone to find water.

Ares summoned a sword into his hand and raised it into the air as though giving a toast.

“Though we have only just met, we will fight beside one another. I, King Ares, am glad to have such reliable warriors at my flank. Though you are not Rivean we fight for the same god. I bleed for those who bleed for me!” Ares was unable to say much more without giving up the fact that he was hurting.

Zika threw up her spear. “Blood! Blood! Blood!”

Then the roar of Reptai followed. “Blood! Blood! Blood!”

Then Ares stepped forward. One step. Two steps. A third. On the fourth step he did not walk, but rather made for a jog, and then he flowed into a run. Behind him was Zika, who quickly over took and then the Reptai, who followed them, funnelling towards the gate, trying to remain in the five columns behind Ares. Only a hundred or so followed Ares, coming to make sure he didn’t die since he was the main key to the plan.

Ares shifted away whatever arrows rained down over them. He raised a hand as he charged forward, but he hesitated. He thought about how no other oxen had escaped when they had the chance. Ares winced at the thought.

“Do it,” Xan said from behind it. “Master of Waters.”

Ares winced and his eyes began to burn. He felt his throat constrict as his mouth became dry. Then he summoned some water, spreading up into the area before it rained above and ahead towards the fort.

Then everything turned white. The flash of light only lasted a moment before a blue hue filled the air. Lightning bounced from droplet to droplet, arcing it’s way through like a bunny hopping from rock to rock.

Screaming and yelling filled the air, the sizzling of flesh accompanying the symphony. Ares coughed, trying to keep in what little lunch he had ate. He looked up towards the oxfolk on the wall who had been distracted by the screams behind them, some of them being struck by the lightning too.

Ares reached out a hand and made the gate disappear and his plan was a heart wrenching success. Now that they had penetrated the fort, the Reptai behind began to rush in with Ares at the helm.

“Forward!” Ares exclaimed out.

The Reptai then came upon the oxfolk like a shadow of death. The oxfolk warriors that were ahead had been struck by lightning and so were dishevelled in their eagerness to fight.

The Reptai were out for blood. They had been denied a war not long ago, but now they could fight their fill. The entire fort was filled with warriors, the civilians had been forced behind the soldiers and were currently waiting at the path, weapons in hand as well. The oxfolk had been prepared.

Ares marched ahead, blade in hand. He caught a blade with his own, managing to pierce through an oxfolk warrior, though the oxfolk did not falter, trying to gore him with their giant horns. Ares managed to kick them aside as they clashed.

He could hear the Reptai behind screech and charge, trying to follow up on the smaller group that had come ahead.

Xan shot out lightning from his fingers, blasting away several oxfolk at a time. He moved forward reliably, cutting a path through the oxfolk. The smell of rancid flesh filled the air as Ares tried to block out his keen senses.

It was a mess. The warriors fought bravely on each side, and many fell between their feet. Ares and his warriors were at a disadvantage, for they were funnelled in a single area. The oxfolk could attack from multiple angles, arrows still flying from the heavens. Ares stepped back, allowing some Reptai ahead as he focused on protecting the Reptai from the arrow fire. He returned the arrows, though not quite so polite. He showered the enemy with the arrows, taking care of a few of them.

Ares could already feel the stress of the battle taking him. He winced and threw out a hand, removing the earth from under the oxfolk to cause them to sink. Then the Reptai attacked them from high ground and then Ares dropped the earth on the oxfolk to create an uneven surface for the Reptai to push forward.

Ares tried to push forward with the Reptai, but he couldn’t push forward. His chest throbbed and he found himself unable to step forward. The world around him spun and a piercing pain thrust into his chest. He looked down to see an arrow.

1