E187 – I’m home.
54 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Another arrow struck Ares in his chest, sending a piercing pain through his stomach. He winced and then raised a hand, but he could find no strength to will anything. A third arrow hit in near his heart and Ares stumbled backwards. He winced and closed his eyes, falling back as he accepted his loss.

This should be enough. The Reptai can continue on from this. Reptai and Xan, together they’ll be able to retake the fort. Then whenever the Riveans arrive they’ll be able to deal with whatever issues arise from then on. That should work, or at least that were Ares’ thoughts on the matter.

“Ares!”

It was Torak’s voice. Torak was someone that Ares could trust to deal with the matter well enough. If it was in Torak’s hands, then the fort would be fine.

“Ares! Wake up!”

Torak needed to relax. What was his problem? Ares wanted to sleep and he did not appreciate anyone trying to wake him up.

Then Ares awoke.

He opened up his eyes. He looked up to see Torak staring down at him.

“Hey Torak.”

“Ares, how are you feeling?”

“Man, everything is fucked.” Ares groaned as he looked around. He could see that everything was not fucked, it was fine actually.

The Reptai were around just kicking it. There were the Roaring Tridents near Ares. Asyllia, Emerli and the rest of the Omni Nine.

“Man am I glad to see you all here,” Ares said with a sigh. He tried to sit up but everything hurt. He looked down to see his chest was bandaged and he could feel something slimy underneath the bandages. He gagged and looked at Emerli, and they shared a look to one another.

Then he laughed.

A laugh that echoed through the land. A laugh of relief and, not quite joy, but the feeling of being glad. It took a while before he finally stopped.

“How are you?” Ares asked Torak.

“We are doing well,” he said. “You seem as though you have had better days.”

“Something like that.” Ares nodded.

“I’d like to hear what you have done but… perhaps we should return to Rivea?” Torak looked out to the Reptai.

“Yeah, perhaps we should…” Ares remained laying down though. “How are my little ones?”

“They are well enough.”

“Who is with them?”

“Lana and Saykkera. Rori has been looking after them as well.”

“Well then, you’ve left them in dependable hands it seems.”

“I am glad you think so.”

“What happened to the oxfolk?”

“The Reptai have dealt with them.”

“All of them?”

“Those that had not escaped.” Torak looked over to Xan, who remained by himself off to one side. “I am unsurprised that you have met with the Storm Lord.”

“Is he famous?”

“Yes.”

“Well… is that good or bad?”

Torak did not reply.

“So it’s like that then,” Ares said. He smiled and then reached down to rub his chest. “I don’t think I’ll be able to explore for some time.”

“Even now you are thinking of such things,” Torak said.

“Well…” Ares smirked.

“Lana will want to have a few words with you,” Torak said.

The smirk disappeared.

Zika approached Ares once he was sitting on his dirt throne. “We have defeated the oxfolk. What is it that you wish of us now?” She stared at Torak with the same suspicion the oxfolk held.

“Ah, well… for now go ahead and celebrate. Though perhaps I should introduce you to Torak. Torak, this is Zika, Queen of the Reptai. Zika, this is Torak, he is one of my closest confidants.”

“Zika, Queen of Zanz,” Zika said.

“Torak,” he replied.

“Now that you’ve met each other I do hope that you get along,” Ares said as politely as he could. “I’m starving. Are you starving? Let’s eat.”

Thankfully Teorn had already made something to eat.

“So how long was I out?” Ares asked as he swallowed some hot soup.

“We heard that you passed out during the fight yesterday evening.”

“So about two thirds of a day then,” Ares said as he looked up to the sky. It was well after noon, but not quite evening yet. “Well that is… good. How did you get to me so quickly?”

“We followed a path that Emerli revealed to us,” Torak said.

Ares turned to look at Emerli who sat beside him. “A path?”

Emerli nodded.

“Well I’m going to have to know more about this path of yours.”

Emerli did not respond. Ares chuckled and then rubbed his elbow against her. “Thanks for helping them out.”

Emerli leaned over and then rest her head against his shoulder. Soon she was asleep. The exhaustion on her face was evident. Ares thought about her for a few moments. She had come with him as someone with great anxiety, remaining around strangers. She had been in danger a few times and even now had spilt her secrets for him. He reached up and pet her head, keeping her close to him.

Saykkera appeared from seemingly out of nowhere. Ares looked up at her. She stared down into his eyes.

“Thanks,” Ares said.

She sat down beside him and Ares wondered what she was up to. Yet his thoughts then went to the Roaring Tridents.

“Ah!” Ares said as he then motioned his head to Saykkera to look after Emerli. He stood up and marched over to his Roaring Tridents.

“It’s good to see you all,” Ares said.

Oron saluted Ares before they were followed by the rest.

“Thank you for escorting the others here. I am glad that you have come.” Ares threw a look back to the Reptai and then looked back to the warriors.

They then spoke of what had occurred. Yet as they began, Ares heard the pattering of many foot steps as Heria returned with her wolffolk warriors, bow in hand.

She rode up to Ares before he could really learn what had happened.

“To think you’re finally back,” Heria said.

“I’m home.” Ares joked.

1