Chapter 25.5 – It’s My Job
64 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Big Euff. No fluffy words or some big apologies. Apologies would mean nothing at this point. I messed up again. Writer's Block is a real thing to mess with. Only way I could get back is to keep writing. Thankfully, I got another chapter ready to go for next week, so look forward to it please. Also, the uploads are going to be Sundays from now on. 

Thanks so much for reading!

With two grueling days of nonstop travel behind him, Veral wanted to take a break for at least a minute. But as soon as he thought about doing that, the image of a young woman smiling at him flashed in his head, and a shiver ran down his spine.  Heaving a heavy sigh, he hung his head. 

If I don’t finish this job on time, Sarah’s gonna hear about it, and I’m gonna be as good as dead, he thought. 

He reached into his bottomless bag and pulled out his map. Plopping himself down on the grass, he spread the thick sheet out and traced his finger to the Greatsword District. Clicking his tongue, he scratched the back of his head. Looking at the progress he’d made up until now, he couldn’t help but feel disappointed. 

Two days from Pasia to the entrance of the Devil’s Forest? His colleagues could make that distance in half the time.  

“I don’t wanna hear anything from those bastards when I get back…” he muttered. He sighed, turning his attention back to the paper. “Alright then…” He pressed his finger against the symbol of a town closest to him.

Fora, huh? Don’t hear too much about it for a border town. He gazed up at the orange-tinted sky. Should find a good place to sleep for now… 

He stepped into the Forest and tapped his foot against the nearest tree trunk. “But still… a fire, huh?” he mumbled. “Garnell should’ve gotten those magic orbs recently. Kind of a surprise that they couldn’t douse the entire city with the river so close.” He pursed his lips. “But what even caused it?” 

Four things could have happened, he thought. One, monster rampage. I know that the Devil’s Forest is teeming with monsters, but even still, a border town like that should’ve been equipped enough to deal with something like that. Two, a bandit raid. I’ve been hearing more and more about those thugs unifying under one banner, so there could’ve been a huge raid on the town. 

He tapped his fingers against the daggers strapped to his waist

Third, an invasion from The Devils. Probably the least likely. They don’t gain anything from ruining the only country allied with them. And finally… the Eldreds.

Veral crossed his arms.

They’ve always been suspicious. Mostly because that idiot Dall keeps pushing that idea, but even still. Their sudden increase of troops, explosion of crime on the District Borders, and outspoken opposition to the Emperor… 

He shrugged. 

“I guess I’ll find the answer when I get there,” he muttered. Veral glanced up and focused on a thick branch stemming from the tree. “Looks good enough to sleep on.” He cracked his knuckles and smiled. “Finally a good night’s-”

The ground trembled, knocking him off of his feet. 

With chattering teeth and bones, he struggled to get back up. “W-What the hell?!” he yelled as the earth beneath him shifted and groaned. “Holy crap, this is bad.” His voice vibrated with every word. Loud screeches echoed from inside the forest. Birds swiftly flapped away, speeding past him in any direction other than the forest. 

Then, an overwhelming pressure slammed into his stomach, and the scent of death invaded his nostrils. His head ached in pain, and the hairs on his body stuck up. His eyes widened, surprised by this sudden force crushing his body. But then he recognized it. This nauseating, dreadful feeling - something he came to be acquainted with during the War. 

“This… This is magic!” he yelled. 

He scrambled around and reached inside his bag again. Poring through the numerous items inside of it, he found four colored orbs. Getting hold of the green one, he took it out, and muttered, 

Refreia.” 

His vision stopped bouncing, and he no longer felt the earth quaking beneath his feel. The trees and the leaves, however, continued shaking violently. Veral packed everything up and sprinted inside the darkened forest. 

Pushing his way through shrubs and branches, the earth groaned louder, and the tremors grew more ferocious. Crows cawed high above him, and groups of animals scurried their way past him. He glanced up through the tree’s leaves, and his jaw dropped. “The hell is that…?” A pure white tower shadowed over the forest, rising high into the sky.  “Where did that-”

Arooooo!

Bestial roars echoed from deep in the forest. They sounded rough - violent. Terror rang in his bones. Veral’s core quivered at the monstrous sound. “No... way…” he muttered with wide eyes. “No way!” Unsheathing both of his daggers, he dashed forward his heart pounding in his chest. 

He thought that they couldn’t leave their homes. 

Everyone thought that they couldn’t escape.

If they did, the world may as well be done for. An endless wave of these monstrous beasts spelled absolute destruction to each and every living being. It was by sheer luck that these things decided to make their own homes and stopped prowling upon Eden and her residents. 

Veral prayed to every god out there he could think of and hoped that his ears had been playing tricks on him… But when he finally came upon the clearing, his heart nearly stopped. 

Pure white wolves with chains hanging around their necks circled around the base of the tower. Veral instinctively got down and hid behind a tree. Watching the four wolves carefully, he slammed his fist against his chest. 

Calm down. He forced his heart to steady. This is your job. Figure out what’s going on

Steeling himself, he swiftly scanned the situation.

Four white wolves - Despairities. They’re all chained and wounded. People are riding on top of them. Some seem like regular bandits but… I know that guy. That’s Solace Lora. Captain of the Eldred’s Family Guard

He put a finger to his chin. 

They’re circling around the tower, that’s for sure… but… What the hell are they doing in our territory? With Despairities of all things, too… Did they manage to tame them…? 

Veral swiftly climbed the tree, making a serious effort to not make any sound. He found himself a wide, thick branch hidden behind the tree’s leaves and numerous twigs. 

He cracked open his bag again and brought out a piece of charcoal and another piece of parchment. 

I have to report this…

“Dammit!” Solace yelled furiously, pulling away from the tower and smacking the Despairity he rode on. It turned its furious upward and growled, but stopped when Solace yanked on its chain. “You!” He jabbed a finger at the man closest to him. “Get back to Natale and tell the Masters that we’ve cornered them. Ask them for more reinforcements. I won’t allow us to fail because of our carelessness.” 

“Yes sir!” The young man whipped out a small orb and whispered close to it. A powerful gust of wind swirled around him, and within an instant, he was gone.

Veral’s jaw dropped and eyes widened. T-Teleportation? With an ORB?! He clenched his fist. How the hell is that possible?! 

“Let’s set up camp for now,” Solace said with a tired groan. “They will surely be forced to escape, so we’ll wait for them.”

The two remaining men nodded and hopped off of their Despairities. Putting two fingers in his mouth, Solace released a piercing whistle. The Despairities cowered and slammed their heads against the ground.

“You four are to sniff out the perimeter. Eliminate all intruders, and keep your noses out for those two.” The Wolves growled in defiance, but ultimately did as they were told, fanning out towards the depths of the forest.

Veral panicked and pulled out a small vial filled with a green liquid. Popping the cap off, a sweet aroma danced from the sticky fluid. He doused himself in it, and leaned as close as he could to the tree. 

“Sir Solace…” one man spoke, picking up a few twigs off the ground. “Will Lord Elran really send us reinforcements?” 

Solace crossed his arms and sighed. “He has no choice. It’s in his best interest to ensure the Aldrian’s elimination. Despite how he… behaves… I hold faith that he can accomplish the Family’s goals.”

Veral gulped. Aldrian? What are they talking about?

“Forgive my rudeness, sir,” another, more mature, gruffier man raised his voice. “But Sir Elran’s reputation outside of Natale isn’t the best, you know this right? I know that those of us in the military believe in his strength, but to those in the Outer Cities, he is known as the ‘Worst of the Six’.” Solace raised a curious brow at the statement. The man continued saying, “I don’t understand how someone like you would be taking orders from a young one such as Elran.”

“Of course you might think that,” Solace whispered. “I’ve been with him since birth. I understand his potential more so than anyone else.” Seeing that the two men dug a small pit and filled it with wood, Solace fiddled with a gold ring on his finger and calmly chanted, “Igni,”. 

Veral nearly coughed at what he’d seen. I keep getting surprised today! What the hell is happening!? 

“If it means my head to further let him grow, then so be it. I will do anything to ensure the success of the Eldred Clan,” Solace said.

Veral and the two men instinctively gulped at the power behind his words.

“We will capture the both of them and deliver them to our Masters, do you understand?” Solace said sternly. “There is no room for hesitation. Should we fail, then Eldred fails, and we further lose the trust of Central.”

“Yes sir.” The two men saluted. 

Veral sighed and wiped the sweat from his brow. This… This is some information I just got… Tamed Despairities outside of the Dark Spots, under the control of the Eldreds, and inside of our territory? 

He pressed a hand against his forehead. 

What are these grown men doing looking for an ‘Aldrian’ in the first place? Do they think they found one? 

Veral sighed.

This really is some big shit you’ve thrown me into Princess. I’m expecting a big reward when I get back home...

 

1