Chapter 3: The Morning After
426 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hoping to get the day started earlier, Maria had woken up a couple of hours sooner than usual. Fixing up her bed, she stretched and groaned. "Okay," she said. She got herself dressed in her usual bar-attire and skipped out of her bedroom. 

Greeted with the silence of the empty room before her, she set out to put all the chairs and tables when a raucous caught her attention. With a curious look, she approached the bar's entrance and stepped outside.

A large crowd stood outside, slowly making their way down the street. "W-Whoa!" Maria said. She had recognized a majority of the people - the butcher across the street, the husband running a stall in the plaza, a couple of kids, and some of the slaves from the slums. Maria gaped at the number of people before her. She pulled one of her friends aside, and said, "Hey, Jan, what's going on?"

Jan rubbed her eyes and yawned. "Oh, hi Maria," she said. "You didn't get the memo last night?"

"Memo? What memo?"

"The soldiers went around telling us to wake up early for an emergency summons." Jan grinned and pulled Maria closer. "You had Simon all to yourself last night, didn't you? He didn't say anything?"

Maria's heart jumped, but she frowned and said, "No. He was quite drunk." Shaking her head, she said, "When did this happen? I went to bed right after I cleaned up."

"Pretty late," Jan said, stretching her arms. "'Round midnight or so. Something happened at the West Wall, supposedly."

Maria bit her lip. "Where are we headed?"

"In front of Barbas's mansion," Jan groaned.

Frowning harder, Maria said, "I thought that bug wasn't here for the week."

"He isn't," Jan responded. "It's Captian Garnell's call."

The negative emotions disappeared and Maria softened up. "Oh," she whispered. "What does he have to say?"

"We'll see when we get there," Jan said.

The citizens of the entire town crowded into the Mayor's plaza, squishing against each other. Some leaped into the trees to watch from above, and others decided to give up and climbed into the filled fountain sitting in the middle of the area. 

Maria, being one of the people late to join, heaved herself up on the walls surrounding the plaza and sat down on the edge next to Jan. "This is pretty wild, don't you think?" Jan asked.

"Indeed," Maria said. "It really has been a while since I've seen everyone like this."

"Yeah, because you're stuck inside all day."

"Job's a job," Maria responded. "Now hush. Garnell's here."

The clamor of the crowd died down and every person focused their attention on the large man standing at the top of the steps in front of the mansion. A couple of soldiers stood behind him, their helmets off, and their faces dyed with a look of despair. Maria ran her gaze along the line and found Simon at the end.

"People of Fora," Garnell spoke, his voice reaching as far as it could. Maria tensed as soon as his voice touched her ears. "I come today with grave news." He tapped his foot and moved to the side. A couple of soldiers nodded, entered the mansion, and heaved something large outside.

It appeared to be a large, white ball decorated with red and black spots. Nothing more. But then, Garnell kicked it forward and revealed its true nature.

A couple of people closest to the front yelled and screamed. Some of them forced themselves towards the back of the crowd. Young children with them cried out. Not knowing what was happening, Maria strained her eyes to see what it was when Jan grabbed on to her hand. "M-Maria..."

"Jan, what is-?" Then, once she realized what it was, Maria's jaw dropped.

"This is a Despairity," Garnell spoke calmly. Chills spread over the crowd. "It appeared in the dead of night and attacked the garrison guarding the Western Wall. By the grace of the gods it appeared to suffer fatal damage beforehand, so with luck, our soldiers managed to defeat it. We suffered no major casualties."

Maria breathed a sigh of relief. But she couldn't soften up, as Garnell continued on.

"We believed these disastrous beasts to never leave their homes. Clearly, this is not the case anymore." Garnell took a deep breath. "As of this morning, no one can leave this city without a ten-guard escort. And only five people can leave this town at one time."

"What?!"

"Garnell! What're you talking about!?"

"This can't be happening... What about the festival?"

Jan laughed dryly. "Not what I expected."

Maria lifted her fingers up. "Do I have enough to hire that if I need to?"

"I know I don't," Jan mumbled. "Is he planning on letting us die like this?"

"Captain Garnell," a young man stepped to the front and stood on the first step. The people stopped when they laid their eyes on him. Even Maria took a double-take at the man. "Are you certain you won't employ my Wanderers for assistance?"

"Guild Head," Garnell gasped, his eyes widened. He steeled himself and said, "I'm afraid to say that we cannot rely on your mercenaries on this occasion, Master Yuma. We require the best we can get."

"Quite a shame," Yuma chuckled, scratching the back of his head. "Not even the A-class kids can help out?"

"This is how it must be, you must understand," Garnell responded.

"Understood," he stepped down with a bow, his long green hair touching the ground. 

"Please understand this decision. I have sent a messenger to Lord Greatsword about this matter, and we will ensure the safety of this town," he said. "Shall we be fortunate enough, the Princess's visit will continue. Good day to you. May the gods show us mercy." With those words, the soldiers disbanded, merging into the crowd, comforting the down-trodden and leading the rest outside of the plaza.

Maria rubbed her hands together. The chill she felt earlier crept along her body. "Simon, Dall," she muttered. "Please let us be safe."


Dall sat on the wall’s edge gazing at the ocean of forest before him. The rain had stopped and the clouds above slowly dissipated. He put his hands on the wet, stone floor.

“A Despairity…” He arrived the same night that the beast appeared. "Could Father have known?"

Under the best circumstances, the journey from the Capital to Fora was three days. Dall had managed to make the trip in that exact time frame.

The attack came just as Dall managed to settle in.

"But how?"

"Are you sure? You don't need me to stay here with you?" Joseph's voice grabbed Dall's attention. He turned around to see Joseph standing there with a couple of knights. 

"We're sure, Sir," a young woman said. "We won't drop our guard again. Please do what you need."

"Thank you," Joseph said. He waved them off and spun around. He caught Dall's attention and smiled wryly. "And thank you, Mr. Greatsword."

Dall stood up and patted his pants off. "Think nothing of it, Sir Mande." He grinned.

"Alright, enough of that," Joseph groaned. "I'm gonna catch some rest after I check up on the two down there. Care to join me?"

"Of course," Dall responded.

The two of them marched down the cobbled staircase, watching their steps to not trip and fall.

They opened the door leading to Garnell's home and found the two soldiers Dall brought down sprawled on the couch and the table. Bloodied bandages tightly wrapped both their chests. “They’re safe,” Dall said. He turned to Joseph. “It’s a miracle no one died.”

“It is. And I’m grateful,” Joseph said. “But this situation is surreal.” He bit at his thumb. “Have you ever seen something like this before?”

“No. I haven’t,” Dall admitted. “Otherwise our Capital would forever be under siege.” Julian ran into the room, catching the two boys off guard. With a pale of water in his hands, he approached the two wounded, checking their bandages and feeding them stew.

"You're hard at work, Julian," Joseph said.

"Shh!" He slapped his finger over his lips and hushed them loudly. "They're sleeping. Don't bother them."

Joseph chuckled. "Understood, soldier-man." Joseph’s stomach grumbled. He glanced at Dall and said, “Stew smells too good. Should we get breakfast?”

They left the house and found themselves in the middle of a heated argument.

"We're leaving the town. I am not risking our safety while those monsters are now out and about," a man spoke firmly, his wife and children nodding furiously behind him. A large carriage sat right next to them, filled to the brim with knapsacks and barrels.

"You doubt Lord Lupin's power?" a younger woman spoke, her mouth twisted in a frown. "As soon as his soldiers get here, we'd be in the safest place on the continent. What you're doing is practically treason."

"'Treason'? Lord Lupin's getting soft, and you are too young. You don't mess with Despairities. Get out of our way."

"Just you watch. We'll be fine, here," the woman responded. 

Dall tapped his sword as he overheard the conversation. The words 'safest place' caught his ear, and his stomach churned.

"What're they talking about?" Joseph asked.

"No idea," Dall responded. "But I'm guessing that Garnell told everyone already. I'm not surprised people would leave after finding out what happened."

"True," Joseph said with a nod. "But..." He took a step forward and glanced around. "Not too many seem like they're ready to go."

"News just came out, Joseph," Dall said. "Let's get a move on, you need your sleep."

They came upon the mostly empty town’s square. Various multi-colored stalls propped up around the large fountain centered in the center of the area. A couple of people came and went, but it felt like the town had frozen. No one made too much noise. But then, something caught Dall's attention.

With a shout, a couple of children jumped on the fountain’s ledges and slammed their swords together.

They whacked each other until one of them fell into the water. The drenched young girl pounded her fists against the water and yelled, “No fair! You’re always Lupin!”

“Because Lupin always wins!” the young boy posing triumphantly teased. He pointed his sword at her and said, “If you beat me then you get to be Lupin!”

Dall narrowed his eyes.

Lupin Greatsword. Great General who led the Cervil Empire to victory against the Beastmen during the Six-Month War.

He single-handedly fought against the 'terrible monsters' that attacked and terrorized the country. He gained the trust of the neutral states of the Icalian Alliance and the respect of the very enemies he bested.

The creation of his district only elevated and carried his name further. People flocked from across the Empire to settle in this new land.

"When will your time come, Dall?"

"When will your victory arrive?"

"You will succeed your Father in due time, Dall."

Those words swirled around in his head. Dall's vision narrowed. He gritted his teeth and clenched his fists. Stop, he thought. Get out of my head.

“Is Simon around this time?” Joseph bumped Dall’s shoulder, bringing his focus back.

“Yeah. Yeah, he is," Dall mumbled. "He might be a bit hungover."

“Perfect. Let’s drag him to eat.”

They went across the town when a troop of soldiers came upon them. Dall and Joseph stopped in their tracks as they watched the men and women march down the streets with grave expressions. Spotting Simon in the crowd, Joseph moved over and pulled him from the group.

"J-Joseph," Simon said. "Where were you this morning?"

"Doing my job," Joseph responded. "You were with Garnell, I'm guessing." Seeing Simon's darkened expression, Joseph said, "Come on. Dall and I are gonna get some food. Wanna come?"

Pursing his lips, he took a moment to decide. Then, he nodded. "I'll come. I need a freaking break."

Not remembering any other good places to eat, Dall suggested to the group to eat at Maria's place. Seeing no reason to refuse, they set their destination for the bar.

Once they arrived, a wave of heat overwhelmed them. Nearly every table was filled, and waitresses shifted between them, plates of food in their hands. The sun shone through the windows above and lit the entire room. Maria greeted them briefly before returning to her job and entered the kitchen behind her.

The patrons of the bar happily ate away at their meals, but they spoke with hushed voices. Some glanced at Dall and smiled, and meagerly returned to eating. 

Joseph pointed out a single table in the corner of the room that was still empty. The three of them plopped themselves around it and ordered their meals. Within minutes piping hot food sat in front of them.

With a wild look in his eyes, Dall shoved a fistful of food into his mouth. Joseph silently leaned back in his chair, slowly sipping away at his mug. Simon sat there, the food in front of him cooling by the minute.

Noting his tired look, Joseph decided to prod him for some information. He asked him what Garnell had done in the morning, and what was going on around town. Simon nodded and said, "Captain Garnell told them. He showed the Despairity off to the entire town. Everyone's wondering if they wanna leave, and others are worrying about the payment for the escort..."

"Situation is worse than I thought," Joseph murmured. "But it's no surprise," he said. "Seriously, a Despairity..."

"It's unprecedented," Dall said.

“I’m assuming you’re going to be heading home soon?” Joseph asked.

“I have to,” he responded, wolfing down another portion of his meal. “Such is the duty of a General’s son,” he groaned. “But it has to be done,” he said.

Its cuts, its wounds, the way it looked at him... The image of the collar around its neck and the broken chain attached to it burned into his mind.

“It looked like someone had tamed it,” Dall said. Joseph nodded in agreement. “And anything that could tame those things is a threat.”

“Do you think the Knightblades will act?” Joseph whispered. The word forced Simon to smile.

“Of course,” Dall said. “Especially with the festival going on in the capital right now. They’ll want to know as much as they can.”

“Oh, Princess Irisel’s twenty-fourth, huh?” Simon said. “Weird she’s deciding to visit the Eldreds last, don’tcha think?”

“Weird she even goes there at all,” Dall murmured.

“Alright.” Joseph laughed. “None of that right now.”

“Liars, slavers, rapists…” Dall said. “Tell me why I’m wrong.”

“That 'terrible' group can use magic,” Joseph said. “Everything you hear’s just rumors, Dall.”

He shook his head. “While I’m at home, I might as well tell Princess Cyrilia to just stay behind and go back to Central.”

“She’ll listen to whatever you say, after all, loverboy,” Simon joked. Dall glared at him, and he held his hands up. “Let me go back to Pasia with you, then.”

“You should be here with the Fora garrison…” Dall said. “Father personally asked you to patrol the border, didn't he?"

“Eh, he’ll understand. This is more exciting in the first place.”

Dall nearly chastised him when he noticed when the room's mood had shifted. Joseph and Simon looked around wondering what was happening when a small, hooded figure approached them. Nearly everyone had their eyes on this person - each and every one of them filled with malice. 

Then, the small person stopped in front of Dall. "U-Um, excuse me," a young girl's voice whispered. "Are you Dall Greatsword?"

Dall sighed and nodded. "I am. Who's asking?"

"M-My name is Melody," the little girl shifted around, her large cloak fluttering around. "Mister Garnell's calling for you."

Dall got up from his chair and knelt in front of her. She cowered and hid her face, and that's when Dall caught on. Long ears. They were hidden behind her blonde locks. A Light Elf, he thought. His gaze drifted to her neck, where her skin seemed lighter than anywhere else. Why are you out here alone...? 

"Where did you come from, Melody?"

 She shook her head. "I-I'm not permitted to say."

He pursed his lips. “Okay then." He glanced at Joseph and Simon, who both shrugged and gave him a nod. "Lead me the way."


The Western Gate facing the Eldred's territory creaked open as the shining sun reached its peak.

The gate pushed her back slightly and she rapidly blinked herself awake. She jumped up and hid behind the enormous doors.

“I’m not letting that stupid wolf get the better of me,” a young voice said. “We’re Knights in training! What good are we if we can’t even face a Despairity?!” he yelled.

“Saul, we’re not good enough,” another complained. “Let’s just go home already.”

“No. I have to prove that I’m good enough for Central.”

“I don't want to die," a girl said. "The Princesses won’t pay attention to idiots like us anyways.”

“T-That has nothing to do with this!” Saul fumbled.

Avice slowly inched to her left and glanced at the ruckus. A group of five young boys and girls stood around in oversized armor.

Despairity?

The five of them stood in a circle, waving around their swords. She narrowed her eyes. The insignia of a long sword was etched into their metal.

It’s different. There might be some agreeable people here.

“We should leave it to the adults. A Despairity’s too much for us.”

“But what if the rumors are true?” Saul prodded. “They could be a part of the Eldred’s attack force!”

Eldred! That's the name those freaks used, Avice thought. If these guys are hostile against them, maybe they can be reasonable. But...

“What are you doing?” A deeper voice called out. The group freaked out, their swords clanging against the ground. “Get over here.” The group hung their heads. The tall, grizzly man folded his arms and scolded the group. “Didn’t you hear what I said? No leaving without a proper escort.”

“But Father I-” Saul began to plead when his father shook his head.

“I won’t have it. Leave it to the adults.”

“I am an adult.”

“You’re fourteen,” his father said. “And you haven’t made the journey to Central yet. You are a child.”

Saul grit his teeth and kicked the dirt. He stormed past his father and entered the city. Oh wow. A parent who cares for his kid? Her nose flared. Must be nice.

The man sighed and massaged his temples. He walked forward, and Avice moved slightly back. He scanned the treeline.

His mere appearance screamed that he was someone important. The atmosphere around him felt suffocating, and the aura emanating from him terrified her. He unfolded his burly arms and put a hand on his sword. The tattoo of a sword was etched onto his left. She knew he could break her bones within seconds. 

And Avice wasn't happy with that thought.

I need to get home.

Thinking on it for a moment, her eyebrows rose.

This town must be part of a faction who don’t agree with the Eldreds, the group that attacked her. If she could, she wanted to get away from as many people as she could and dig herself in a hole where no one would find her. This world seemed too dangerous for her. Despite what had been drilled into her as a child, she thought that if she was here for too long, she’d be dragged into even more danger. She wasn’t too keen on that.  

But she knew that if she didn’t take her chances here, she’d die to the people and beasts who hunted her down. She needed to be in a place where she could be guaranteed safety. And she decided she’d risk it here.

With a racing heart, she sneaked behind him and entered the town.

But the second she did, a wave of nostalgia overcame her.

She stood there, gazing at the town with wide eyes. The cobblestone streets leading down, going beyond the horizon, the meager and small buildings randomly sprawled around her, the people casually strolling by in old-fashioned clothes… It all seemed familiar to her.

“What is…?” One by one, small orbs appeared out of nowhere. They had different colors and sizes. Some blinked in and out of existence, while others shone as brightly as possible. As she kept her eyes on them and stared at them, weak and child-like voices filled her ears.

And the people around her noticed her as well. Most ignored her, but others gazed at her with estranged looks. One person squared off and appeared to be ready to fight her at any moment.

“Excuse me.” A hand touched her shoulder. Her body jolted, and electricity coursed through her veins. Sweat dripped down her cheeks, and her eyes went wild. On instinct, she grabbed it, twisted her body, bent her knee, and punched whoever it was in the stomach.

As soon as her heart calmed down, she immediately regretted it. 

“W-Wait, I’m sorr-”

With an uproar, someone nearby yelled, “She attacked Garnell!” All eyes turned on her. “Get the guards!”

The next thing she knew, she was on the ground, her mouth full of dirt.

4