Chapter 17.5 – A Royal Assignment
111 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The chilling cool breeze of the night blew through the usually crowded streets of Pasia. Flowers, drunken men and women, and luxurious gifts had littered the area several hours earlier, but now it was all empty and deadly silent.

A single figure walked briskly down the cobblestoned road, stopping once in a while to check their surroundings. The figure passed several buildings decorated with flowery and lovely colors, each with a lit lantern hanging on their doorposts. “This place is so gaudy,” they whispered under their breath. "Wish we could do this at home..."

They continued onward down the street when they came upon a bar with its doors wide open. Boisterous laughter and the stench of alcohol lingered around the entrance.

“I guess this is it,” they said. "Geez, why would you go to such a remote bar?"

With the soft thuds of their boots against the wooden steps, they entered the brightly lit building.

There were maybe thirty or so people inside. Tables were spread unevenly across the room, each with mugs and cups of booze and wine scattered atop of them. A bard was in the corner playing a five-stringed instrument, happily singing a tune that the drunkards were dancing to. “It’s only the second week of her birthmonth. Jeez, his people are insane.”

“Ah, you’re here!” A man dressed in a splotched and dirty apron called from behind the counter with a broad smile. The figure’s eyes widened. Uh oh. The man, who they figured to be the barkeep, poured himself a mug of beer and lifted it into the air. “Hey everyone! Princess Irisel’s sis-”

The figure leapt towards the barkeep so quickly that a couple of tables fell over. They smacked their hands against the barkeep’s mouth. Thankfully, his voice didn’t manage to break through the loudness of the room. He looked down with surprised eyes and lowered his hands. They stared into his eyes, and they grit their teeth. “He told you to do this, didn’t he?”

The barkeep nodded nervously.

“I swear I’m going to break it this time.” A sigh escaped their lips and backed off. They dragged themself forward and tiredly sat down on a high-chair. “Give me water, please.”

“O-Of course, Princess Cyrilia.”

“Ab-bup. Nope. Either say it really quietly, or don't even say it at all,” she whispered. “I don’t want too much attention here.” The barkeep nodded. “So where is my favorite idiot?”

“He was drinking quite aggressively earlier, Princess Cyrilia,” the barkeep said in a hushed voice. “He went upstairs with a woman right before you-”

“Don’t talk to me again you asshole!” A woman’s voice shrieked from above. Cyrilia looked up and found a woman dressed in fine clothes angrily running down the stairs with tears trailing right behind her. An overwhelming sense of fear rushed through Cyrilia’s veins. 

Oh crap, oh crap. You asshat. That lady looked like a noble. Aaaaagh you know better! 

Cyrilia had been quite accustomed to her comrade’s antics, but those illicit acts were usually done with commoner girls whenever they were out and about. But this person clearly looked like a noble. She didn’t know how these kinds of people would react around this district. For example, back at home, despite hers and her comrade's positions in the High Court, there would be drastic consequences for messing with the nobility. It wouldn't be that much of a surprise to see the nobles order him to cut off his pinkies.

However, reality turned its head and pulled a fast one on her. The people in the bar, who were focused on having a good time, faced the woman and laughed at her. 

“Hah! She tried it on another guy!”

“That’s our drinking buddy! He won’t fall that easily!”

“Serves you right, thief! Hahahaha!”

“Huhhh?!” Cyrilia’s mouth fell.

S-So she wasn’t a noble?

As she watched the woman dash out of the door, a young man strutted forward at the top of the staircase. His black hair was in a mess, and his left cheek was reddened. “Is that her catchphrase for when she gets caught? Clever brat.”

“Veral!” Cyrilia yelled as she stamped her foot on the ground. As soon as his name left her lips, his eyes went wide and he glanced down at her. Even with her head and face covered by a thick hood, there was no doubt in his mind about who was down there. With a face that said, ‘oh shit’, he swiftly turned around and ran into the darkness of the hallway upstairs. Cyrilia, with feisty jeers and cheers behind her, quickly followed after him. 

She was just fast enough to see him barge into a random room to the right of the hallway. With furious and fluttered steps, she approached the door and slammed her fist on it. “Open it, right now.” Cyrilia put her ear against the door and heard a ‘shh’ escape his lips. Her nose twitched. “Holding hostages, are we? Ten seconds Veral. Otherwise Sarah will be informed of your actions.”

The door opened with a mighty thud.

Cyrilia entered, and there was a young couple, a man and a woman, sitting on the sole bed in the room, and Veral hiding behind them. She put on the brightest smile she could, and removed her hood. The two gasped as her luscious, chestnut hair flowed down her back. 

“Hello there, I apologize for such a rude interruption.”

“N-N-Not at all,” the woman stuttered. Then, as if something clicked in her mind, she jumped down onto the floor and bowed her head deeply. Noting what his partner was doing, the man did the same. “W-We should be the one apologizing for getting in y-your way.”

“Come now, don’t worry about it,” Cyrilia said as she knelt down to their eye level. She ruffled around her pockets and picked out a gold coin. “Take this as a gift. Fresh from the Gallian mines.” She tossed it to the woman, who fumbled in catching the small object. “You two go ahead and get out of here.”

The two, with glittering and thankful eyes, bowed as they hurriedly left the room.

Now it was just Cyrilia, who was standing with her arms crossed and wore a furious glare, and Veral, who hid behind the other side of the bed and  had a mischievous and cocky look on his face. She took a step forward, and he took a step back. “We’re not doing this now, Veral. Not at night.”

“Then calm down first,” he said with his hands raised cautiously. “Don’t want to get Master Lupin upset, yeah?”

I can afford to do that. But not you. Get your ass on the bed.”

He rotated his shoulders, getting himself comfortable. “Oh c’mon, chill out.

"I'll chill out if you follow my orders."

"'Orders', now? Loosen up, Princess. This isn't a time to be so-"

“Viri. Stop." Cyrilia's voice was quiet, yet stern. "Listen to your master.”

He tensed and he grit his teeth. He reluctantly got onto the bed and sat on his knees with his back straight. She sighed as she gazed into his angered grey eyes. Despite her overwhelming desire to punish this man before her, she knew her duties as a royal and as a leader were more important. So to tell Veral that it was time to switch mindsets, she used the words she never usually did.

He did say he wanted to relax for once. But now isn't the time.

She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw that he was listening.

“You have orders from Father.”

He tilted his head. “From the Emperor?” His eyebrows wrinkled for a moment. “Is this about the Bandit Unification?” She remained silent, so he took that she was talking about something else. “Or maybe about the fires from a couple of nights ago?”

Cyrilia nodded. “It had everyone shaken up. Even my sister was worried about what was going on,” she said. “I’m not too familiar with the area, so I asked Lupin and he told me that that was possibly the Border Town Fora. And if that’s the case… then…”

Noticing her shoulders stiffening and her quivering lips, he scowled. “Fora. That’s where-”

“Yes. He is…” she said. Then she shook her head. “No, no, he isn’t the only one important. Captain Garnell was left in charge since the Barbas family is here. And all of the other townspeople. Not only am I really worried, but Father is too.” She tightened her fists and gazed at him with determined eyes. "And as such, your mission is to investigate the area and confirm whatever has happened there."

“Just me? What about Sier?”

“We need at least one Knightblade to be close to royalty at all times. So Father and I are putting our trust in you. You understand this, right?”

Veral pursed his lips. “I do,” he said as he got off of the bed. He put a hand on Cyrilia’s shoulder and said, “Let’s hope everything’s alright. That bastard’s hard to kill after all.”

Cyrilia gave him a weak smile. “Please do, Veral. Good luck and stay safe.”

With those words, Veral disappeared in a blur, and a gust of wind ruffled her clothes and hair. Cyrilia sat down on the crooked bed, her heart beating and racing in her chest. Tears swelled to her eyes, but she bit her lips and clenched her fists.

“And you, too, Dall. You better come back alive.”

 

2