2. Running Blind – Part 1
132 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
1/14/2022 Update: Happy late New Year's! I have not forgotten about this series and both editing and restructuring it has been considerably more difficult to do than expected. However! I will be getting through all the chapters that matter in the grand scheme of things. Some chapters will be put in a non-canon state until I can better utilize them. Their chapter number will be replaced with an "R" to signify that they're to be considered "removed from canon" for now. My apologies for being very slow on editing. If you ever want to contact me, leave a comment. I always check for them. (o wo)/

 

Tessa groaned into her pillow as sunlight hit her in the face through the gaps in the blinds covering her window. Forced to wake up, she sat up in bed. The wooden bed frame creaking and complaining underneath her. Yawning, she scratched the side of her head while finding a fresh mess of tangles in her long, blonde hair. Smacking her lips and frowning, she stretched her arms over her head.

Time to get up, I guess, she thought.

Moving the blanket covering her legs to the side, she got out of bed. Yawning again, she opened her eyes and looked for any signs of her roommate. The bed opposite to hers was a mess of clothes, blankets, pillows, bow strings, leather cord, rarely opened books, and a half-eaten plate of fruit, nuts, and jerky.

Looks like Sylvie’s already up and about.

Tessa went to her dresser and grabbed some fresh undergarments and checked how she looked in a full-length mirror that was built into her closet’s door.

Got a bit to fix before the ceremony. Might as well start now.

Entering her room’s bathroom and shutting the door behind her, Tessa began freshening up for the day.

Today’s the day I graduate from Unity Academy, and then I begin my journey to become a Hero.

It’s been ten years since the wyverns attacked Tessa’s hometown, Solis. And in that time, she’s pursued her dream of being a Hero as actively as she can. After things had settled in Solis following the attack, the young girl’s curiosity about Heroes was insatiable. She investigated everything from legends to documented records relating to Heroes, even learning what she could about the different classes there were. Tessa held favoritism towards the magic swordsman who saved her and how he fought, but didn’t know what her natural talents were.

Soon enough, Aenir came. And on the first Cliroeday, Ral and Lucette took her to Solis’s temple dedicated to the Great Six. It was there that several clerics of the Great Six gauged everything from her physical abilities to her magical ones. This is due to how, in this world, the gods bless everyone with a random talent that aligns with one of the principal powers of the world. Someone who has a pull towards the element of fire, but doesn’t enjoy fighting, may become a chef or blacksmith. Another blessed with great strength may start as a soldier and end as a lumberjack or artist. While not all blessings are equal, the gods desired to give even the frailest a chance at surviving. And how each person uses their gifts is up to them.

After the clerics completed their examinations, they shared the results with Tessa and her parents. Unfortunately, Tessa did not receive any physical gifts from the Great Six. It was discouraging to learn she wouldn’t truly be able to be like the Hero who’d saved her, but then the clerics told her of her magical capabilities. She has a pull towards the weak pull towards the water and earth elements, but it would require significant time and training to use either effectively. Things didn’t look good for Tessa as the results deemed her unfit to wield both weapons and magic.

However, there was one last hope that Tessa was holding out on. And before hearing it, she prayed that at least this would be in her favor. Thankfully, it was. The clerics revealed Tessa had a strong connection with the element of light, and great potential as a fellow cleric of the Great Six. Tessa was ecstatic at hearing this, as clerics often were healers and supporters, meaning she could become just like the lady who healed the injured when the wyverns attacked.

With a way forward available to her, she poured every ounce of energy into becoming a cleric of the Great Six. Specifically Aeon, leader of the Great Six and god of light and justice. Through her faith in him, Tessa would become a hero. But as a child, she had much to learn and practice. So if there was ever a waking moment she didn’t spend helping her mother around the house, Tessa would run to the temple and develop her talent. Focusing her studies on healing and support in hopes she could become a Hero who helps others regardless of who they are. Even resolving herself to never anyone, no matter what. She’d be a Hero who always finds a way for everyone to survive, enemy or not.

As the years passed and Tessa continued her training, Ral and Lucette weren’t exactly ecstatic about Tessa wanting to be a Hero. Instead, they wished for her to live a more peaceful life, but they could never dissuade her from the dream she was chasing. Giving in to their daughter’s wishes, they would do everything they could to support her.

Eventually, Tessa had firmly established a foundation for using miracles. But knowing she would need more than just the basics, she set her sights on Unity Academy. A school where many past Heroes started their journeys. Studying and practicing as much as she could to pass, she took the exam and passed and was admitted as an honor student. Tessas had to leave home to attend, but the excitement of taking that one step closer to being a Hero helped even out having to say goodbye to her parents for now.

During her attendance, Tessa trained even harder and built up from the foundation she’d made. She deepened her understanding of miracles, along with her faith in Aeon. But there was one snag she constantly hit. Tessa would regularly be up late at night studying and practicing her miracles until only a few hours before dawn, often to the annoyance of her roommate. She would spend countless hours practicing every miracle she learned in class. But even with this, her growth was slow when compared with her peers.

Tessa was never top of her class, nor ever yielded impressive results, but was always consistent. While her miracles were always just above average in power, their reliability and effectiveness was difficult for anyone else to mimic. Even when exhausted, they would last considerably longer than most of her peers’. Her classmates saw little value in her, but that didn’t prevent others from viewing Tessa differently. Sylvie saw her lack of variability and dedication to the basics as incredible, and the two became close friends. Soon after that, a small circle of friends gathered around her.

But now it was time to graduate. She’d studied, practiced, and learned everything she could here. Safely becoming stronger behind the academy’s walls, and it was time to move on to the next step of her journey. Tessa already had everything planned out in her head. After the graduation ceremony, she would hop aboard a merchant caravan headed to Faethun; the location of the Heroes’ Guild main headquarters.

The only real thing she couldn’t figure out prior to paying for the ride was how she could never find any solid documentation on how to join the Heroes’ Guild. When she wasn’t studying or practicing miracles, relaxing with her friends, or sleeping, Tessa would try to learn more about the Heroes’ Guild. The names of Heroes were easy to find, along with their legends, but anything more and she’d hit a brick wall. And in the time leading up to graduation, there were murmurs speculating who might become a Hero. Usually revolving around those at the top of each division and class. It did sting a bit that Tessa never heard her name, nor could she argue against the rumors. But she would become a Hero, no matter what it takes. Maybe she’d even get some of them to eat their own words.

Opening the bathroom door and stepping out, Tessa opened her closet and took out a box. Placing it on her bedside, she opened it and took out a formal gown and vestments.

It’s finally time to leave.

The memories she made over the past couple of years sprinted through her head. She’d learned much here, but it was time to stop being a student and become a Hero. Then there was a knock at the door. It was Sylvie.

“You good to go? I don’t want to have to drag you out of bed one last time!”

“I-I’m awake Sylvie, just getting ready!”

There was a long pause before Sylvie responded.

“You better be, or I’m pinching your cheeks until they’re red again. I’ll be waiting in the lobby.”

“Okay! I’ll be down in a minute!”

Sylvie’s footsteps as she walked away were soft. Muted by a carpet in the hallway. Tessa took in a deep breath and let it go. It was sinking in that this was the end of her time here. The last time she’d be able to call this place her home. The last time she’d be sharing a room with Sylvie like this. But time waits for no one.

Slipping on her robe and vestments, she felt weirdly regal. They had a warm and silky feel. The robe was solid white, shimmering in the sunlight, and had green trim with Aeon’s symbol emblazoned on her chest, shoulders, and back. The vestments were much the same, only with tassels hanging from the ends.

The last thing in the box was a crown made of metal olive leaves painted gold. Adorning her head with it, she then grabbed her staff and took one last look in the mirror. She took in how she looked, wanting to make this a memory she’d never forget. And even if she wasn’t the most special student in the school, right now she felt special just looking at herself.

One day, thought Tessa, I’ll be just as great as the ones at the top today. I swear it.

Moving to the door, Tessa turned the handle and left. Descending the stairs one flight at a time, she met with Sylvie in the lobby on the ground floor.

“Sorry I took so long.”

“That’s alright, Tess.”

Sylvie's ears are long and elven, and her skin is the color of almonds. Her hair is caramel colored and cut to be medium-long with side-swept bangs, and accessorized with a red flower with white and red feathers tucked behind it. Her eyes are the color of ripe strawberries, complementing her red ceremonial robes. The red robes have white trim and the symbol for the rangers embroidered in the same way Aeon’s is on Tessa’s robes. In her left hand is an intricate longbow made from birch, hand carved and sent by her family.

“Ready to go?”

Sylvie was always eager to get things over with, but Tessa enjoyed her impatient nature.

“Yes. Let’s go.”

9