11. A Few Moments Before Chaos – Part 2
73 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the same time that Hei, Torgrak, and Tessa briefly explored the streets of Crimsonvale, a separate pair of eyes lurked within an enormous cathedral Nencog’s minions had built. Wearing crimson robes adorned with Nencog iconography, a blue dragonling kept his gaze low and ears up. Walking through the interconnected halls, Tolan listened for any valuable information he could leak.

Today was just another day in the life of a mole for him. Cultists passed by him, walking from one sermon or library to another. However, many spoke in hushed tones or huddled groups about how eager they were for tonight’s ritual. Unfortunately, this information wasn’t particularly useful. He was already aware of it and leaked it to the Resistance’s forces. Right now he hoping he’d be able to get even a fraction of information that came from closed-door meetings between the cult’s Archbishop and his three disciples.

Tolan, with the aid of his affinity for fire, infiltrated the cult as a scribe. He wanted to move up into the higher ranks of the cult, but doing so would make it harder for him to leak information. Due to his efforts, his allies in the Resistance found an opening to sneak out a letter addressed to the lord of the territory. He hoped the letter made it, but the clock’s been ticking for a while now. If something wasn’t done soon, Crimsonvale would become the first of several towns to fall. Tolan wanted to take action himself, but a single sorcerer can only do so much against an overwhelming number of crazed cultists.

Wandering into the main hallway of the cathedral, Tolan came across the Archbishop and Bishop Abaris discussing something. He was too far away to hear what they were saying. Quickly darting behind a column nearest the two, Tolan hid himself as he listened in.

Bishop Abaris was an older human with dark-brown hair and a short, rough beard. His robes were similar to everyone else’s, but he wore a few additional ornamental layers atop the base robes made of gold and black thread. The Archbishop, however, wore lavender robes with red vestiges and trimmed with gold. And while his robes were simple yet elegant, it was the long-beaked mask he wore that identified him best. Tolan had never seen him without it, and neither had anyone else from what he’d gathered.

Then there was a sudden bursting open of the cathedral’s wooden doors as rapid footsteps ran towards the Archbishop and Bishop. Wondering what was going on, Tolan peaked from behind the pillar and watched as an Inquisitor of the cult kneeled before the two. The Archbishop turned to Abaris and nodded.

Abaris spoke, “Raise your head, Inquisitor. What has brought you before us?”

The Inquisitor slowly raised his head and spoke once his eyes met his superiors’.

“Y-yes. Thank you, your graces. A report has come from the Watchers regarding three individuals who have entered the city this evening.”

Abaris was dismissive, “This does not seem worthy of your time, Inquisitor. These three may be new members of the faith come to join us.”

“I-it is possible, Bishop Abaris, but the report submitted is alarming at the least.”

Abaris and the Archbishop looked at each other for a moment before Abaris inquired.

“Do share the details, Inquisitor.”

“O-of course. As per the Watchers’ report, a young, human girl, a gruff and burnt-smelling dwarf, and a half-elf with an odd aura of charisma have entered the city.”

Abaris interrupted, “All races are welcome to bask in the light of our Great Flame. Is this not great news as it means the words of our Lord are spreading further?”

“I beg you, please wait until I have finished the report, your grace. M-may I continue?”

Abaris paused for a moment.

“… You may.”

“Thank you, your grace. While the girl and dwarf do not appear to be noteworthy themselves, the half-elf has put all Watchers on edge. All who have observed him feel as though something is staring back at them. Something powerful and incredibly unnatural.”

Leaning down, Abaris put a hand on the Inquisitor’s shoulder. Attempting to calm and reassure the man.

“The watchers seem to need rest. I shall request that the-”

The Archbishop stepped closer to the Inquisitor, addressing his follower personally.

“Is there an ample description of the half-elf?”

Abaris, the Inquisitor, and Tolan all shared a moment of stunned silence.

The Archbishop asked again, “Inquisitor, have the Watchers provided significant information on the half-elf’s appearance?”

Snapping out of his stupor, the Inquisitor responded.

“Y-yes, your Holiness. They have reported that, while wearing a dark and heavy robe, they caught sight of bits of his armor and saw one moment where his hood fell back enough to reveal his face. His armor appears to be black and gilded with gold, and his hair is long and kept in a ponytail with a small, gold crown.”

Tolan wondered why the Archbishop was asking about the half-elf specifically.

“Inquisitor, pass this order on to your fellow Inquisitors, the Watchers, and those of the lower ranks. Monitor the half-elf and his companions for now. Ignore all else.”

“Do you have any other orders for us? I shall deliver them posthaste.”

“Yes. Strike them down with the full force of the Great Flame at the first chance you see. Assume them to be a threat to our way of life and the Great Flame.”

“I shall inform the others immediately.”

With that, the Inquisitor stood up, bowed, and took off running back out the main entrance. And seeing this as the best opportunity to leave, Tolan stuck to the shadows to leak this new information. Using the Inquisitor’s echonig footsteps to cover his own.

Then, after a moment had passed, the Archbishop spoke to his disciple.

“Abaris, put all combatants on high-alert.”

“As you wish, your Holiness. But, if I may ask, is this half-elf truly so dangerous to warrant our full power?”

“If it’s who I think it is, then tonight will be more destructive, raging with flames, and bloody than any other since our founding.”

Abaris bowed, “Yes, Archbishop. It shall be done.”

Leaving the Archbishop to himself, Abaris disappeared into the depths of the cathedral. And in his isolation, the Archbishop couldn’t help but briefly laugh to himself, mumbling with fury and excitement in his voice.

“Finally… You’re back.”

1