13. A Little Bit of Green
61 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Moments before the battle at the inn began, several short and shrouded figures lurked in the shadows just beneath Crimsonvale’s wall. Wearing dark hoods and leather armor, they skulked about. Their beady eyes and green faces barely visible in the night. They didn’t speak, instead using hand signals for when to stop and go. Soon enough, they came across one of the town’s sewer portcullises. A locked iron door guarded the entrance, but the goblins formed a semi-circle around it.

They looked left and right, scanning for the smallest movement before the leader of their squad signaled for one of them to go unlock it. With a few scratches and clicks, the goblin unlocked the door and gently pushed it open. It groaned and creaked slightly, but nothing nearby appeared to take notice. The goblin at the door stepped inside and looked around. Not noticing anything in the darkness, he called to the others.

“Iz clear. Move.”

Slowly, and one by one, the goblins ducked into the sewers and closed the door behind them. Forming up into a line, they continued their mission. Peeking around corners and keeping close to the walls as they moved.

From the rear, a pair of goblins spoke up excitedly. They kept their voices low, but were louder than a whisper.

“We’z finally on mizzion!”

“Yez! New toyz too!”

Kegz scolded them, “Quiet you!”

Remembering the situation, the two calmed down as Kegz looked around their next corner. Spotting a ladder with moonlight showering down it, he scanned for any potential issues that could be near it. Not seeing any, Kegz signaled with his hand for the other goblins to move up and take positions around it.

With the coast clear, Kegz pulled out a four stones held together by some leather cord. Each stone had the image of a smiling goblin engraved into it, and he spoke to the stones.

“Iz Kegz. At point. Fang’lingz, Tooth’linz, Claw’linz. Report.”

There was a moment before the first reply.

“Fang’lingz’ Fang. At point. No izzuez”

“Good. Hold for now.”

Then the Claw’linz’ report came in.

“Claw’linz’ Claw. At point. Humiez overhead. Cannot move up. Holding.”

“Underztood. Claw, let know if zituation change.”

“Copy.”

Then things went silent as the Tooth’linz failed to report in immediately.

“Tooth’linz, report.”

No response.

“Tooth’linz, report. Do youz need aid?”

Still no response. Then the leader of the Tooth’linz responded.

“Tooth’linz’ Tooth, ran into patrol. Dealt with izzue. Kept to bladez. On way to point.”

“Underztood. Lead’linz moving to surface. Fang’linz, continue infiltration. Claw’linz, continue hold until guardz move. Tooth’linz, report if other izzues appear.”

“Copy, Fang’lingz moving.”

“Holding. Claw’linz watching.”

“Tooth’linz moving, will report.”

Kegz put the stones away and held his hand high and traced a couple small circles with it.

“Lead’linz, rally. We go top-zide.”

Tightening formation around the ladder, they kept watch. Kegz tapped the one who unlocked the door earlier to go up and scout out the situation. Quickly, he climbed up the ladder as bits of dirt and dust fell off it. The ladder groaning and rumbling as he climbed.

Pushing on the grate above him, the scout raised it slightly to check the surrounding area. It scraped the surrounding metal, but nothing else of note. He called back to the others.

“Iz clear.”

Then the scout pushed the grate up enough to get out into the streets, but didn’t let go of it. Keeping it up so the others could get in quietly. One by one, the goblins snuck up and into the city, Kegz coming out last. And once the scout saw his leader, he quietly let the grate fall back into place and followed the others into the shadows.

Kegz pulled the stones out again.

“Lead’linz in ztreetz. Report.”

“Fang’linz’ Fang, in ztreetz. Awaiting signal.”

“Underztood.”

“Tooth’linz’ Tooth. Made it to point. Going top zide.”

“Copy.”

“Claw’linz’ Claw, holding. Humiez not moved. Move to next point?”

Kegz thought for a moment.

“Continue hold. Remember Bozzez. Humiez will move.”

“Roger. Claw’linz holding.”

“All other zquadz do gear check while wait for zignal.”

Kegz put the stones away again while he watched his squadmates go about checking their weapons and tools. Each one drawing their own knife and checking its sharpness before moving onto their firearms. Unlike the one Torgrak used, these all looked like they’d do more damage to their users than the intended target. One goblin carried a four-barrel shotgun that looked capable of sending the goblin flying backwards. Another pieced together a revolver-rifle. Snapping the stock, receiver, and barrel together with a twist and click.

Taking out his own knife, Kegz inspected it for any bends or blunt edges. It was a fairly long knife that curved toward or away from him, depending on how he gripped it. It was comparable in shape to a bird’s beak and made from patterned steel. Satisfied with his inspection, Kegz tucked it away and looked at his two pistols next. The first was a revolver with a second ring beneath the trigger guard for his middle finger. With a pull of the second ring, the barrel rotated and readied the next shot. The second pistol was a muzzle-loaded gun with a slot in the top the eject the brass after each shot.

Soon enough, the Lead’linz finished clicking and clacking their equipment. Each one also recounting their ammunition before quieting down. Though they all grinned at the thought of turning this town into a burning battlefield filled with smoke and sulfur. Then an explosion went off from deeper in the town.

One of the newer members of Kegz’ squad whispered.

“Waz that the zignal?”

Kegz responded, “No, but zhould be zoon.”

Then a muffled sound came from one of stones Kegz tucked away.

“Claw’linz’ Claw, reporting! Claw’linz Claw, reporting!”

“Iz Kegz. Speak Claw.”

“Boom distracted guardz. Moving top-zide.”

“Good. Prepare for mizzion ztart. Likely happen zoon.”

“Will do. Moving now.”

Kegz lowered the stones, but didn’t put them back in his pocket should more reports come in.

Soon enough, the hacking, slashing and gunfire of combat broken moment of uncertainty. Small flames shined in the distance like red stars falling from the night sky. Cries of pain and agony echoed about towards them.

One goblin started getting antsy.

“Ztart now? Tired of waiting.”

Kegz responded, “Wait for zignal. Then kill.”

Then things got quiet again, and the goblins waited for their chance. And soon enough, the signal came. A bright red flare screamed through the sky and the goblins all stared at it gleefully.

Kegz raised the stones again.

“Mizzion to ‘exterminate’ begin on green light.”

Fang spoke up, “Limitz on targetz?”

Kegz snickered, “None.”

There was a collective evil laugh from all the goblins as Kegz loaded a round into his muzzle-loaded pistol and raised it to the sky. Squeezing the trigger, he shot off a bright green flare to tell everyone it was time to begin.

3