Chapter 1: The Girl Who Disappeared
1.6k 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Age of Gods Online, otherwise known as AGO, combines the age-old system of browser-based massively multiplayer online game with the catchy action gameplay popularized by gaming consoles. Launched in 2019, it takes full advantage of the rise of mobile gaming to deliver an enjoyable, fully immersive Massively Multiplayer Online Game that allows any user to play the game regardless of hardware specifications or gaming platforms. All one needs to play the game is just an internet connection and a platform that can open web browsers.

 

Due to aggressive marketing strategy and their catchphrase, "You are not PLAYING a god, you ARE a god", their player base skyrocketed to 200,000 players in just a week. An impressive feat for a company renowned for making mediocre games in the past.

 


 

"Foul servants of the evil god! I, Guardian of the Forge Meristes shall halt your advance!" the hammer-wielding woman in fire-resistant coat announced before dozens of premium soldiers delivered blow after blow on her small body. Despite her great skills and the honour granted as Guardian of the Forge, not even she could handle the attacks from a hundred premium soldiers. Left with not being able to perform her main attack, she could only defend herself with her oversized hammer.

 

Suddenly from behind, a blade of light swept up the enemies around her. The blade of light cut cleanly through their bodies, cutting off their source of life. With that blow, they returned to their original forms, armoured statues imbued with life at their gods' commands.

 

"Too far. You. Die," a mechanical voice came out of the suit of armour that came up behind Meristes. It was the Mechanical Knight Alou, the only living armour crafted by the hands of its goddess, Aelrea of the Divine Arms.

 

"Everyone, do NOT allow them to advance any further! Even if you die, you will stop them here. Heriane, keep the premium dragon occupied. Eri, I will need you to sacrifice yourself to stop the Blood Corona," Aelrea of the Divine Arms commanded.

 

Just like her heroes, even she had suffered multiple wounds, mostly from having to deal with the siege weapon Blood Corona. Without minding her wounds, she said to herself, "If only Gardi is here.. he would be able to deal with those pesky blood coronas easily." It was because Spearmaster Gardi was armed with Spear That Drills The Universe, an SS-class item that ignored all defense, physical or magical.

 

"Yes, my lord. Come, my trusty steed!" Pegasus Knight Heriane flew to the sky, riding atop her mount, the silver pegasus.

 

"For the goddess!" Forgemaster Eri ran towards the throng of premium soldiers before jumping to the air and throwing her twin storm hammers at the concentration of blood coronas, weapons capable of leveling whole cities if given the chance.

 

"As the goddess wish. Taste my hammer, foul creatures! Forge of the Sun!" Guardian of the Forge Meristes cried as the head of her hammer became a brilliant ball of light. As the ball of light smashed against the ground, everything within the range of two miles turned to ash.

 

"Command accepted. Will comply." Mechanical Knight Alou rushed forward, its thick armour became the hammer that smashed against all the premium soldiers in its way. Its multiple gun ports fired on multiple targets at the same time while its flaming missiles scorched miles of land.

 

While this was going on, Aelrea pulled up her inventory. She planned to trade the lives of her heroes to summon her two premium items, the premium wyverns and the premium flame dragon. Unfortunately, before she could use either, a single blade cut off her neck from behind.

 

"I've been waiting for you to send your heroes away. Too bad, Serena. It's my win this time. Hahahaha!"

 

Serena had to fight the urge to throw her phone to the floor. She had just lost a battle against Ukhlar, the Scourge of Blood and she feared this had kicked her out of the deathmatch, despite having a lot of cash items still unused. The idea of losing all the premium jewels and items she just bought yesterday annoyed her to no end.

 

"Damn you, Steve. There should be a rule against using so many cash items in one battle. Bloody RMT scum," she cursed.

 

RMT refers to 'real money transaction' in which players spend real-world money to get ahead in an MMOG. 'RMT scum' refers to the type of players who rely on RMT to be on top. To be fair, Serena had no right to find fault in Ukhlar's method. After all, she too was an RMT scum right up to her defeat.

 

An incoming message chimed as she was contemplating how best to pay Ukhlar, the Scourge of Blood, otherwise known as Steve Weisz for this latest humiliation.

 

Marc: Congratulations!

Serena: About what?

Marc: For getting to Top 5.

Serena: But I just lost.

Marc: Saint Klaus was killed about a minute before Ukhlar killed you, so now Saint Klaus is kicked from the game and you're locked at 5th Rank.

Serena: Saint Klaus was behind me? God, that gives me the creeps!

Marc: You're still not creeped out about him asking for your picture didn't you?

Serena: Of course I'm still creeped out! He asked for my picture the moment he found out I was a schoolgirl.

Marc: lol Well anyway, I wonder how the devs are going to run the game now. Heard you guys will be transported to a smaller area to encourage conflict.

Serena: Where did you hear this?

Marc: Dev diary. They said the game will be in lockdown until Sunday to manage the updates.

Serena: You sure?

Marc: Yes, very sure. You can check it yourself.

Serena: Maybe later. I'm still at school.

Marc: Detention?

Serena: Any other reason I'd still be at school this late?

Marc: lol How about we go on a date this Saturday? Your exams are already over, right?

Serena: You got a job yet?

 

The silence went on for four whole minutes.

 

Marc: Alright, give me another lecture, my heart is ready.

Serena: I already told you I won't go on a date with an unemployed man. You want another date, get a job.

Marc: But I do have a job, I'm a full-time gamer

Serena: A job that makes money. I don't even mind if you get a job as a street vendor. If you want a date, make your own money, not wasting your parents' money.

 

"Bit rich coming from someone who spends her allowance like water," a girl spoke behind Serena, making her jump on her chair.

 

"Alice! Since when were you behind me?" Serena asked with a bit of fluster.

 

Alice grinned as she said, "A few minutes. You were too busy chatting with your boyfriend to notice."

 

"That shut-in is not my boyfriend."

 

"Oh really, then why do you look so happy every time you reply to his messages?"

 

"You - no, this... You're freakin' blind, Alice."

 

"Oh, he replies," Alice said as she chuckled at Serena snapping her head around to look at the screen.

 

Marc: But if I become a street vendor, you'll be too embarrassed to be seen with me.

Serena: Excuse me, my father's first job was a roast beans street seller. My mom's first job was a shop assistant. Daddy made it very clear that no job is shameful while I was growing up. You were there during such lectures. How do you expect me to introduce you - as whatever - to my parents when you don't have a job?

 

"Ooh, you're already at that level?" Alice teased with a giggle.

 

"Go away, Alice," Serena said in annoyance while shooing Alice away with her left hand.

 

"Sorry, no can do. I want to borrow your phone," Alice said while looking slightly embarrassed.

 

"What happened to yours?"

 

"Confiscated. Mom said I played AGO too much. That's why I'm ranked at 23. I wasn't able to play."

 

Marc: If I get a job, will you go out with me?

Serena: Get a job first, then we'll talk.

Marc: Got it.

 

"Here," Serena said as she handed her phone to Alice.

 

"Thanks! I know I can count on you!" Alice said as she logged into AGO sandbox. "How was the boyfriend?" Alice asked while her finger danced on the surface of Serena's phone.

 

"He's not my boyfriend," Serena denied while looking out the classroom window from her seat.

 

"Oh, so that's the setting, huh? Older neighbour boy, fallen hard and a young girl who's in denial?"

 

"I'm not in denial. I'm just helping him get back on his feet," Serena argued without looking at Alice.

 

"By being his girlfriend?" Alice asked, her eyes locked on the screen and her fingers busy tapping everywhere.

 

"If it's necessary."

 

"Yeah, it's not like you're in love with him or anything, right?"

 

"Right!"

 

Alice chuckled. "Yeah, it's not like that shut-in who smells bad, rarely change clothes, lives in a dumpster and-"

 

"Don't diss Marc!"

 

"But you don't love him. So what's the big deal?"

 

"I'm the only one who can talk smack about him. You can't!"

 

"Ooooh, possessive much?"

 

"Whatever, just put it back in my bag after you're done with it. I'm catching up on sleep," Serena said as she buried her face in her arms on the desk.

 

"Yes, yes, your highness," Alice said as she used up the accumulated faith in the sandbox to stick some guard towers at her border, "You know it's really sad that detention is just another word for 'nap time' considering the teachers don't even bother to watch us. Alright, I'm done! Here you - Serena?"

 

Alice looked behind her, at Serena's seat, which was empty of all life and presence.

 

"Are you sleepwalking again?" Alice asked the empty chair.

20