Chapter 2 – How to be a Death Mage
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wolf bared its fangs and circle the enemy, its killing intent was so strong that it would make a weak person tremble. However, it didn’t dare to launch an attack because it knew, instinctively, that the enemy was also dangerous.

Reaper didn’t lose sight of the lurking wolf, he held the short sword and faced the beast without blinking. It wasn’t his first time facing a wind wolf, but this one looked more dangerous than the previous.

The beast was indeed stronger than the regular grey wolves, it had been specially fed and trained to be fiercer and deadly. It wasn’t uncommon for the Powerhouses to breed and train low tier (LT) beasts.

Most of the beasts would be used for the training and studies of the House’s young Masters and Mistresses, but some could even end up as trained pets. Either way, it was easier and safer to breed the beasts than to let their young go hunting.

After the Duchess gave the order to fasten Reaper’s training, his instructor decided to peer him against the stronger beasts. Although they only bred LT beasts, they could train and feed them to be more dangerous. Also, the same tier beasts had different fighting power, which divided them into three ranks.

The wolf was a first rank LT wind beast and Reaper’s last test before he would advance to fight against second rank beasts. As a wind beast, the wolf was faster and lighter than other same ranked beasts. In fact, every beast would also have special characteristics influenced by its element.

A fire beast would be fiercer and more energetic. The water beasts would be more flexible and less prone to be provoked, while the earth beasts would have stronger and sturdier bodies.

For some unknown reason, the wolf decided to attack, it moved fast towards Reaper, ready to tear him apart. Reaper didn’t panic and attentively waited for the beast to jump, once it did, he dodged right and forward leaving a cut at the wolf’s side before turning back to face the beast again.

The wolf growled making its anger clear before attacking again. This time, Reaper dodge to the side while cutting the beast’s belly. The wolf winced in pain and moved away from him, leaving a trail of blood on the ice floor.

The beast continued to bare its fangs but it was hesitant to attack, the pain decreasing its resolve at each passing moment. Reaper could already feel the life energies decreasing in the beast.

He took a throwing knife from his belt and launched it against the suffering wolf. The wolf tried to move but the wounds made it too slow to escape the knife that thrust into its neck.

Reaper crouched in front of the moaning wolf, feeling the last traces of life leaving the beast but hesitated to put an end to its suffering.

“Stop hesitating… You think it’s merciful but you’re only prolonging its suffering… You know what to do, you’ll only advance once you stop being weak… Reaper, you know I have to report everything to your mother…”

The instructor's voice was muffled by the wolf’s last wince. Reaper pulled his short sword out of the beast’s head and felt the invisible dark energy starting to form around the beast’s soul. He placed his hands over the wolf’s head and close his eyes.

The feeling of the energy approaching his hand made him feel disgusted, which made the energy start to dissipate. Reaper felt unwilling but could only swallow dry and force himself to accept the death energy. It gathered around his hand as he dived in the feelings of sorrow and longing that accompanied it.

A tear escaped Reaper as he finally gave in to the death urges that screamed inside him.

The instructor let a sigh of relief and smiled before his expressions quickly changed to concern and fear. Reaper remained still, but his irises were completely black and dark veins appeared over his hand, spreading through his arms.

He yelled at the boy but didn’t dare to touch him. Reaper couldn’t hear him, he was lost in the absorbed death energy.

When a being died, it would carry back all its dreams and regrets to the cycle of life. The strong feelings would stick to the soul and be dragged by the death energy to the cycle of life.

Reaper was only starting his journey as a death Mage and couldn’t separate the energy, the soul and the strong feeling, so he took everything in. Aside from the soul and strong feeling, Reaper wasn’t even prepared to absorb the small amount of energy that came from the wolf’s body.

Among the strong desires and deep sorrow, he heard a voice, ancient and deadly: 

Amsugno, egni marwolaeth…

The black marks spread fast from his arms to the rest of his body and thinned before disappearing. His eyes became more clear as he screamed to push away the strange feelings.

The instructor couldn’t stay back anymore, if the boy died he would follow him by execution. He tried to wake Reaper by shaking his shoulders, but when touched the boy he felt strength and health leaving his body. The feeling was akin to a strong and sudden illness.

Fortunately, Reaper came out of his trance and saw the pale instructor who released him and stepped back in fear. Many emotions boiled up inside him, but confusion and shame came on top. The shame was a result of him feeling great after doing such a thing to the beast.

Reaper felt stronger than ever, but he didn’t want to be around anyone right now so he got up and left.

.........

“Mistress…”

Clarissa offered a hand to help Alice get into the boat. Once they settled, the beautiful blue and carved boat left towards the Fast Water Market. Clarissa wore a simple yellowish tunic, common to high ranked servants while her Mistress wore a delicate light blue robe under a furry cloak.

As a hybrid Mage under the care of the House of Freezing Waters, Alice would enjoy comfort and luxuries like few in the Water Capital. Of course, her position couldn’t be compared to Reaper’s as the son of House’s Head.

Not that she envied him, because of his magic affinity he was kept hidden and wouldn’t be allowed to left the Palace, like her.

She held her pouch tightly and looked everywhere for possible dangers, while Clarissa looked at her Mistress with a distressed expression. She could have ordered a butler to make the transaction, but she would never pass an opportunity to left the Castle. 

Alice liked to feel the wind on her face, to see different people while enjoying the freedom of walking around and talking to others. The Castle walls and Guards made her feel locked and suppressed.

Every time she had a chance, she would come to the market with an excuse. Yesterday, she received three medium quality (MQ) crystals from the Duchess and now she was using them to flee the Castle for the day.

She lowered her head and looked inside the pouch. The sight of the three light blue crystals made her blue eyes shined vividly, she couldn’t help but put her hand inside and touch them. The bubble energy reacted and traveled to her hand in low concentrations.

Alice absorbed the energy and felt bliss and happiness. Soon, her boat stopped in front of a big decorated store. Alice took Clarissa’s hand to exited the boat before entering the store.

Once they got inside, the well dressed servants offered her a seat and tea to drink. Not long after Alice sat and the servant started pouring the fragrant tea, a pompous robbed man appeared and bowed to her.

“Oh, Lady Alice, the Origin has blessed us with your presence… Have you being well, my Lady?”

Alice exchange some small talk with the store owner. After she finished the expensive magic infused tea, the Merchant politely change the conversation to her request.

“How can I be of service, my Lady?”

Alice placed the bubble crystals over the table and explained:

“I want to make two out of these three crystals into jewels, are they suited?”

“Congratulations my Lady! Her Grace must be very pleased with you… Sure, we can work something out… This crystal could be made into a beautiful necklace and the smaller one would make for a beautiful bracelet…”

“Wonderfull… How soon can you do it?”

.........

“The boy is finally accepting his fate… Do you know if this situation is common?”

The attendant didn’t dare to look straight at Rainna.

“Your Grace, the book didn’t mention anything about it, but… Death energy is very complex and dangerous, maybe he absorbed too much and lost control over it…”

“Lost control… Humph, it’s better if he gets ahold of it fast... It was only a LT beast, he will soon start killing people…”

The Water Duchess didn’t care to hide her wicked smile.

.........

“Where is Shadow? I looked for it everywhere but I can’t find it…”

Dolan looked at his Master with a complicated expression. Unsurprisingly, Reaper noticed something was wrong with the attendant.

“Dolan, what is going on? Spill it out...”

“Young Master, ah… You shouldn’t go… She did it on purpose to make the young Master go after her…”

“Argh… She wouldn’t dare… Not today!”

Reaper ran through the ice floor cursing, while Dolan chased after him pleading for him to calm down.

“Mother is gonna be happy because today I’m gonna kill someone!”

Hey guys! Did you like the chapter? Don't forget to check The Alchemy Kingdom and Merchant Queen...

0