Chapter 31 – Defying Logic
163 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There are those in the world of singularity that defy all manner of logic. A man who can reach the height of mountains defying gravity itself. To a little girl that can create storms altering the world's weather patterns. People referred to as Regional Devils to National Monstrosities the world could only watch them in awe from a safe distance. At the same time, they were locked in chains trying to retain normalcy.

We live in a world where an individual human can cause a harrowing reality. In the blink of an eye, they can erase entire towns, if not cities, in a single day. Let alone those we have not discovered capable of ruining a nation.

Within the United States Congress, one such representative allowed his thoughts to ring out upon the debate over a new law, reducing the restraints on singularity users. Throughout the building, all of them had their questions, doubts, and concerns on those with powers that they couldn’t comprehend; after all, they were only normal humans.

Within another room, a few senators were listening to a hearing being given by Dr.Teagan Rogers. One of the founding members of the archeologist team under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Government. He’d be showing them slide show clips of bones unearthed belonging to potential singularity users of the past — the first of many. In between the clips, video recordings of temperature changes in large areas such as the savannas of Africa experiencing snow for a brief moment before passing. Then another showcasing a singularity user creating a tornado the size of an average tree.

“What we have here, senators, is evidence showcasing the first of many singularity users long ago. Scattered around the world, some dating back 10,000 years or more. Along with this, evidential proof that singularity users might be the key to altering global climate changes.” Teagan's voice rang out; it was rough and quite profound of a man entering his early 50’s. The man was well-fashioned similar to the others in the room adorned in business outfits. His brown hair was a bit messy due to the meeting taking place quite early for him, and by early — around 11 in the morning. He did most of his work during the dead of night.

“Dr. Teagan, while you may believe that these ‘evolved’ humans are the cause of climate change, it isn’t within reason for such abilities of theirs to manifest themselves to that scale. Here you show us...A boy in Africa creating a sudden flash flood of rain?” One of the senators spoke out.

“Indeed, to deny that they can create anomalies that we can’t comprehend is a scary factor. There is even evidence we’ve brought depicting ancient disasters being caused by such abilities. It’s all around us.” This meeting was going on for quite some time at this point, and Teagan himself was getting baffled at these senators, barely focusing.

“Yes, but the earth itself has always been prone to change. But, when you compare these humans to the tournament ones, they don’t seem all that different. Or are you ready for us to pass a law removing their bracelets?” Another senator chimed in.

“This is likely to not happen. The entire world would need to come into agreement for that to occur. But, if you’ve not been paying attention to any of the tournaments over the past 5 years. Mere kids are capable of achieving things most of us would never comprehend.”

"Come, Come, now Dr. Teagan, I think you're over-exaggerating the case a bit. These Singularity users could hardly even harm a gnat in the real world. They're just a bunch of pretenders in a make-believe world, no need to cause a spectacle about the matter." The senator responded in a nonchalant tone. This senator started to get on Teagan’s nerves.

“Please, I’ve been in this business for decades. I even had a pharmaceutical facility that scanned singularities at a young age. To deny that with each generation, these powers get stronger and stronger is baffling. Even online in hidden areas, people are referring to these kids as monsters! Devils! Abominations!”

“We and the other nations of the world have already passed actions to counter this act of bullying. You and your team's findings on the other topics have come of great interest to the President for better or worse. Thus your funding will continue.” In the end, Teagan achieved nothing in this senate room. The senators were really looking to defund his team, thinking the money spent on them was a waste.

Next to Teagan seated down the entire time were two other members of his team, Denley Frost, who, compared to Teagan's more hardened look, appeared meek at first glance. In fact, he was the youngest, but most passionate one next to Teagan on the team. Pushing up his glasses, Denley didn’t quite catch why they were here. This entire meeting was mandatory after each excavation. Seated next to Denley was Rhea Harrison, a fellow archeologist who was more interested in her laptop than the conversation itself. The conversation continued for 10 more minutes with the senators and Teagan ending up in a stalemate until finally, all of them were dismissed.

Upon exiting the building, Teagan loosened his tie and cleared his voice. “Those bastards don’t know what they’re talking about. I fear for this world if all of them are as blind as America's.”

“Now, now, Sir. I’m sure the rest of the world will be glad to hear us out.” Denley said.

“Well, only very few like Italy and France seem to care. You guys tried Asia, Right?” Rhea glanced over towards the two.

“No, we haven’t had a chance to. We won’t be heading there for at least another year.” Denley carried a bag full of essential notes at his side. Reaching in to take one of the notes out.

“That part of the world can wait. Especially after what we found in Europe, but none of them were even remotely interested in those ruins.” Teagan scratched the back of his head. The three suddenly stopped at the sidewalk only for a black car to pull up all three of them entering.

“Hardly anyone nowadays is interested in the old and forgotten. Let alone ruins unless they look interesting to the average person.” Even in the car, Rhea was typing away on her laptop inside.

Teagan let out an exhausting sigh, leaning back in his seat. “Take us to the port…” The driver gave a simple nod, and the car headed towards the docks.

Upon arriving at the city docks, the group was accompanied by a band of mercenaries, each fashioned in U.S. uniforms, but they were clearly a private organization. Some of them were stationed on a modern cruiser classified as the U.S.S. Orchis.

“How’d it go, sir?” One of the mercenaries approached Teagan, similar to Teagan himself. This soldier was rough around the edges, having scars marked around his face, mainly his mouth had a scar running down the side. It was hard for Teagan to see his eyes and the rest of his body due to being already clad in military equipment and armed to the teeth.

“Blight? Oh, it was a failure as expected. None of them were even concerned with the reports I gave. One even suggested we go and break the tombs.”

“Hehe. I wouldn’t worry too much ‘bout it boss. So long as they keep the money flowing, we’ll make sure no spooky tomb will come between you and your research.” Blight was a hardy fellow, his uncanny chuckle catching the attention of his fellow soldiers.

“Unless you recruit some soldiers with useful abilities, then yeah, you’d be right.” Teagan glanced around. Of course, no singularity user would ever take a job in the private army. If one did, they’d be classified as a national threat to all sorts of countries.

“I can kidnap one if you want.” Blight’s horrible suggestion spoken in such a casual manner.

“No! We don’t need more problems like that, it’ll get eyes on us.”

“Implying we haven’t already caused a ruckus. Ha! But, I understand, no worries, boss. On a more different note, where are we headed this time?”

“Nowhere in particular yet. For now, we’re going to remain here. Until December, enjoy your vacation.” Teagan got on board the ship, while Blight stood there a bit baffled.

“I wasn’t expecting an early vacation, good thing I'm being paid during it.” Blight’s mood improved dramatically upon hearing of this early vacation. “Let’s watch that tournament when the time nears, it’ll be fun. I have a nephew that enjoys watching it back home.” Blight followed behind Teagan into the ship, for now, the archeology team took a moment to sort out their findings and rest.

However, in another part of the country, a few individuals were gathering for what appeared to be a private party within a very well-established mansion. But, throughout the estate, masked individuals roamed the property, some with rifles in their hands, while the rest coexisted as guests. It was a masquerade party with around 100-300 people in total moving around. Within the upper levels of the mansion, Abigail sat at the end of a long table, which held 30 seats. Her crimson eyes peering at several individuals seated, while the rest were empty.

“As you know, Campbell’s little project is getting out of hand. If it continues, it will likely usher in a severe problem.” Her voice was soothing as ever. On the table were documents scattered about, and various plates empty of food.

“I wouldn’t call it little, Milady. He’s getting some serious funding from quite a few nations. Honestly, I don’t understand what people like him see in robotics.” A powerful voice coming from down the table, a rather buff man with the number 4 written on his palm caught Abbey’s attention.

“While I can agree with you there, Slaine. Robotics are part of the future. It’s another path they’re taking as opposed to the natural progression, such as ourselves.” Abigail leaned back in her seat, rubbing her hand alongside her stomach.

“I don’t know, have you seen that stuff online? There have been movies about this artificial stuff springing up out of nowhere.” Slaine turned his head for a moment as an enigma member entered the room with a plate full of food, setting it down in front of Slaine.

“It makes no difference, that is why I called you all here...Or at least those that could make it.” Out of the corner of her eye, Abbey spotted one individual raise their hand. A woman with pale skin, snowy white hair with the back end tied into dreads, amber eyes piercing back at Abigail. She wore polychromatic earrings that shimmered in the light while dressed in a white party dress. Her mask was set to their side and their suppressor, which looked similar to the one Alexia wore.

“If I may speak for a moment, Madam.” Her voice was soft and quiet. “Campbell has always had his eyes on simply using the foundation for his own benefits. I hear rumors of his latest project being...similar to me.”

“Ah, yes. That droid. Do not worry, you are too far ahead for it to be a threat, Kamari. But, I didn’t bring you all here to speak about his play dolls. No, he has a rare component that I require… While it might not seem like much, It is a valued source of information within it that I need. It could link me to hunting the last rebellious cells.”

“You believe ol’ Camy is funding them somehow?” Slaine interjected only to begin consuming his food. He was quite the big fellow; if you placed him in between bodybuilders, he’d fit right in.

“Ha… I wouldn’t go that far, but I do like the thought of it. For now, I'll simply ask any of you who wish to take a bit of a trip to go and acquire me that component. More details will be given as you make your way to his facility. Try not to cause a scene.” With that, Abigail awaited the few individuals in the room to answer. Of course, the two that spoke to her seemed to be the ones that wanted to go with both of them raising their hands. The others attending didn’t seem that interested in whatever Campbell had to offer.

“My, My. Well, this works out in the end. None of you are known anyway...off the grid. You’ll depart in a week.” Slaine and Kamari both stood up and gave a gracious bow to Abigail.

“Yes, Milady.” Both of them announced. The eyes of a dragon set its sights onto its cheery companion.

4