Chapter 34 – Pursuit
151 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CRASH!

The glass shattered upon the facility entrance, most of the compound's faculty making it out safely. Gunshots were heard from deep within, and no sign of incoming police officers. Two guards were thrown out the door, and breaking through them, the blonde scientist made her way out.

“And here I thought security would be tight.” Her melodic voice rang out; there was confusion all around, in the distance, a few scientists and guards off to the side of the road awaiting help to arrive. Just as quickly as she exited, she blended into the group easily with neither suspecting her.

Alexia and Adelle both managed to make it outside. Parts of the facility were now catching on fire. Adelle stopped to catch her breath at the cost of losing sight of the intruder. Both of them knew the direction of where they headed, at least.

“Is that her?” Alexia pointed to the blonde scientist moving past the gathered faculty members.

“I wasn’t looking.” Adelle unfolded her parasol, casting a shadow underneath her blocking the sun’s rays. “I don’t see anyone else running off in a hurry.”

“Come on!” Alexia rushed towards the gathering. Adelle grinned, almost freaking out the moment Alexia budged from her position. More running? Adelle didn’t wish to get sweaty at all. After all, it would ruin her glamorous image.

“Urgh…” Merely doing a gentle twirl and a simple swing of her parasol, tiny gusts of wind wrapped around Adelle’s feet. The moment she walked forward, her pace started to keep up with Alexia allowing the wind to carry her movement. Upon catching up, the scientists were weirded out at Adelle merely floating gently above the ground. The duo looked around, no longer seeing any of the scientists with blonde hair. There were three female scientists in total gathered, of varying ethnicity. The rest were men. In total around twelve scientists and five guards. Three rushed off, heading towards a few civilians who started to group up. A few took out their cellphones, recording parts of the burning facility.

Taking in a few breaths of air, Alexia concentrated on the group of civilians. Continuing to keep her gaze upon them until faint outlines of energy manifested themselves, none of them displayed much power within them.

“We might have lost them…”

“Impossible, concentrate harder!” Just as Adelle demanded, Alexia begrudgingly focused even harder. This time seeing far more condensed energy stemming from a completely different woman walking away from the scene.

“Her?” Alexia made up her mind and made a mad dash towards the woman. This woman wasn’t in any scientific getup; more so, the closer they approached this woman, the more people would appear. Adelle became nervous at first as there were only a handful of people around. As the chase had begun and they followed this woman, more and more people appeared as if they were moving through time and light crept in around them.

Alexia blinked only to realize she and Adelle were now in the middle of a park with a massive amount of people roaming about.

“Well. I think I can figure out what we’re up against, but I don’t like this one bit.”

“I didn’t like this from the beginning, Mon Amie.”

“So, now what? I can’t really hone in on them anymore.” Both of them started to move closer to each other, tensing up. Their senses being scattered after apparently ‘warping’ from the facility to another part of the city. In the distance, smoke rising into the air, they were miles away.

“I’m thinking, just give me a moment.” While Adelle tried to think up a way for Alexia to sense the intruder. Both of them hand arms wrap around their shoulders.

“You kids sure don’t know when to give up. Last chance, walk away now, or I’ll put you to sleep...Permanently.” A whimsical voice so quiet as to not alert anyone else in the park — yet their grip tightly locked to both girls. It was the woman they were chasing, but neither of them could see any features upon the face. Alexia slowly gathered energy into her left index finger; neither could detect this woman's energy even now. Upon further inspection, the woman’s power was starting to give off a familiar vibe to Adelle. One wrong move and likely worst-case scenario with both of them dead only then did a nearby officer spot the three of them.

At first, he didn’t do much and merely watched; in his vision, he saw Adelle and Alexia walk away from the suspicious woman. No one else was around them at the moment. Thus he decided to confront them.

“Smart choice kids.” The woman replied that only to veer her head in the officer's direction; out of instinct, she looked down at her shirt, noticing a tiny spark. “...!”

“Excuse me, Miss. Could you come with m-” His speech was cut short as a blast knocked the poor officer away, knocking him unconscious a few yards away. An explosion had just gone off right where the woman stood. It seemed she was careless.

“Are you crazy?!” Adelle whacked Alexia against her head with the parasol.

“Ow! Relax! I detonated it at a safe distance. No civilians were harmed.”

“We’re also after any important items on them.”

“Ha...Ha...Oh, right.” Merely taking a moment to rub against the side of her head, Alexia seemed to have forgotten about that tiny part. Neither of them seemed concerned either that they potentially might have killed someone. A harrowing prospect that only normal humans would see, yet any average person around would have been thrown back from the blast. Unable to withstand it, the rest running away to safety.

A harsh gust of wind swirled inward towards the epicenter of the blast, only for smoke to rise from the small crater and stir in the air before being tossed up. The woman had changed her appearance again, but not only that, her power had altered in the process.

“It would seem I've made a grave error by letting you two go. O’ How the madam shall be furious at one such as I.” Standing there now was Kamari. Sunlight beating down onto her pale skin, serpent-like amber eyes accompanying her snow-like colored hair oddly fit with what appeared to be ram-horns with multiple colors flowing through it—Green at the base, red and blue in the middle, along with yellow at the tips. As if mirroring a Kaleidoscope, Kamari started to reflect similar mannerisms to Adelle at this very moment though it was brief.

Adelle felt a slight hint of disgust the moment Kamari took on a similar stance. Even before taking the form, a portion of her energy had left her body. This was a rather dire situation. Not only did they just cause a ruckus in the middle of a city. Many people suspected a bomb had just gone off; the departments were going to be busy today.

“Talk about a worst-case scenario, Huh, Lexi~.” Adelle backed up, ready to defend Alexia if this woman went on the attack.

“O’. How the madam will be furious, indeed.” Kamari stepped out of the crater, and as whimsical as she moved, the next step she took allowed her to place her hand onto Alexia’s head. Not even wanting to deal with idle chatter, her fist slammed into Alexia’s gut knocking the girl into a nearby pond. Adelle couldn’t react quick enough and attempted to slash at Kamari, yet was ejected by a single kick that tossed her away.

Kamari watched as both fighters had already been subdued just like that. What a mess; she only hoped Slaine made it out. The point-blank explosion had only dampened her clothing, slightly tarnishing its color, an aura that was reminiscent of the colors of a rainbow flashed around her briefly. Kamari took out the data chip observing it to make sure the damage wasn’t extensive. Once the inspection was done, her aura shifted from a rainbow coloration to that of pure white. Her feet took off from the ground and started to slowly hover a few inches. The sound of police and fire sirens were approaching the area. It was time for her to leave.

Kamari started to fly towards a nearby skyscraper distancing herself from the two kids. “Damn that, Slaine. He better not get arrested.” Peering behind her to check to see if the two fighters were still unconscious. She was only met by a miniature star about the size of a golf ball about to make an impact — Whoa Whoa Whoa! Are these kids for real!?

Swiftly, Kamari swatted the star away from herself, utilizing the reflection power she copied from Adelle. The fireball exploded above the park, the shockwave breaking glass and uplifting the ground below, but the blast never expanded. Instead, it started to reform itself back into a star.

“Hehe~! How do you like this?!” Standing on the pond's water, Alexia aimed her finger in the direction of Kamari. The star zipped in that direction. Yet again, Kamari deflected it, but each time she did so, the faster it would return.

“...!” Kamari couldn’t quite comprehend this singularity user she was fighting, this tiny ball of energy each time she reflected it, the faster it became. Yet, for something so small, it had some serious power! The reflect ability she copied from Adelle started to become useless, with each reflection battering her hands. “Urgh...So that’s why she has that parasol……. ENOUGH?!” A harsh display of energy wrapped around Kamari as she brought her leg out. This time kicking the star back at Alexia.

With hardly any time to react, Alexia held her hand out towards the star. When it hit her hand, it scattered, discarding all of its energy without any necessary damage. Taking in a deep breath, Alexia amazed even herself with that nifty trick, but she had more on the way. All Kamari could do was watch as Alexia simply discarded her own attack just like that. A sense of danger rushed over the woman.

“W-What the hell?” This was the first time she has fought anyone with a power like this. “Monsters are always hiding in the outskirts… Tch!” No more lingering around; she needed to leave. Kamari started to fly up high into the sky, heading towards a cloud.

“Hey! I’m not done with you yet! ...Fine…” Alexia raised her hands, positioning them in the direction of Kamari. A profound aquatic aura forming around her body, the pressure in the area increased as her feet started to slowly sink into the ground. Then… She threw her hands down into the dirt.

“Milady must have known something; why on earth is a monster like that hanging around the-” The pressure caught up to Kamari, and her body became paralyzed in an instant. Her vision became hazy as she started to plummet to the ground until she crash landed!

“Heh...Heh….Ha…” Alexia fell to the ground looking exhausted. Whatever ability she did now seemed to have been the extent of her power thus far. Being affected by her own ability.

When the dust cleared from the impact zone, Kamari returned to her senses. “..Urgh..Ah...The...Component.” She started to search her pocket for the chip to realize it was broken in half and crushed upon finding it. “...” Kamari could only lay her head in defeat at the mission ending in a failure. Blood trickled from their head, and for one, they could hardly move their legs.

“Rejoice, Young Kamari~!” Standing before her now was a buff man wearing a spandex hero suit. The number 27 written on the back of his cape. “For the lady has sent I~!” His voice is powerful and carries the courage of a hero. “Come~!” He let out his hand for her to grab.

“Of all people.” Her sentence cut short as the spandex hero grabbed her; then, just as the hero appeared, they vanished—wind sweeping through the city upon the cops' arrival. The officers who arrived at the scene witnessed damage to nearby city structures, trees ripped up from their roots, and two girls knocked out in the park. The situation back at the facility had also finally winded to a halt.

All in all, a chaotic day.

3