Chapter 36 – Dragon
149 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Singularity Foundation controls 100% of all regulations worldwide for singularity tournaments. It maintains the monopoly in terms of finances when it comes to such events. All traders and investors from small to large seek their cooperation to the point the foundation over the centuries of its existence dating back to the early 19th century allowed it to form different branches.

The most known being the Media branch, which funds all recordings of every official match; and allows all news relating to them to be steadily controlled. The Media is the 1st branch, the 2nd is known as the Medical Branch… Or clean up as most fighters call them. 90% of this branch is composed of singularity users that have any sort of healing properties.

The 3rd branch would be the science division, funded in part by institutions globally to help further develop methods to improve one’s power and bring a brighter future for humanity. The 4th branch known as Enigma is hardly known to the public, merely rumored. This branch is composed of highly trusted individuals that handle the more unsavory affairs of the world. Be it underground or not, a disappearance or two from someone influential can often go unnoticed in this day and age.

Yet, there is a 5th branch that is never mentioned nor known by only a tiny portion of even other branches. The Dragon Branch is composed entirely of singularity users loyal to the foundation leader; they’re often recognized by their dragon-like numbered tattoos on certain parts of their body. The number and what it represents can vary from time to time depending on the generation in the dragon branch. The current generation is the 10th. The only position that is regarded as the strongest is position 1; the rest vary.

Within the same mansion filled with masquerading party-goers, a meeting was once more held on the waning month of November. The dragon branch members totaled about 30, but just like the previous one, hardly any filling the seats. The majority of them no longer attended these meetings. The tension in the air was palpable, with each one not saying anything, merely listening to the music beneath them until a familiar and enchanting voice hummed through the room.

Twirling to the party's musical waltz, Abbey graced each person who arrived at the meeting in the room, all of them standing up and honoring her. Kamari, in particular, clapped and started to praise them.

“A most gracious maneuver, Milady~!”

“Careful, or the little one will be upset.” Slaine aimed his finger at Abbey’s stomach. The two were overshadowed by the more upstarted individual Julito, the masked hero, and the number 27 waving across his cape.

“Madam Abbey is truly one of a kind! The perfect princess to the hero~! OH! HOW LOVELY~! I TOO SHALL JOIN YOU!” The heroic man started to dance with Abbey, which she allowed. For her mood had risen over the past month despite their failure with a particular subject.

“My dearest, Julito. Why does your heart cry?” Abbey asked.

“Because it yearns to know JUSTICE~!”

Julito slowly eased Abbey from dancing and allowed her to sit down. Everyone in the room was merely smiling, while one dragon in the corner numbered 13 on his robes that covered their entire body was seen praying to Abbey.

“Thank you all or at least some of you for coming once more. I see quite a few of us are still away.” Abbey’s eyes shifted towards the seat next to her, the spot held for the 1st dragon. Then, shifted her attention back to the others.

“Last month was quite an uproar, wasn’t it? A delightful bit of commotion and publicity for Campbell.”

“I apologize, Milady. B-But we ran into trouble… We had no idea individuals from that state tournament would be there to complicate things. A-Although we expected resistance, but they put up far more of a fight than expected.” Kamari tried explaining why they lost, but Abbey simply started to twirl in her spinning seat as an enigma member arrived to give her a slice of chocolate cake.

Without any hesitation, the spinning stopped, and Abbey indulged herself in the world of sweetness.

“Mmm~! This is just as good as the last one!” It would take about a good minute or two of Abbey eating the cake before she responded. At that time, all Kamari could do was anxiously wait.

“Ah~! … That hit the spot… Ahem~. As for your failure, I expected such a thing to happen. Be it the loss of the chip you acquired really meant nothing. I just wanted you to stir the nest, is all~. Really that chip hampers his research for maybe a good year.”

“I...I’m sorry?” Kamari couldn’t believe that Abbey expected them to fail regardless. Was this some sort of test? Did she just royally mess up?! “I...I AM MOST SINCERELY AND GRACIOUSLY SORRY!” Bending down to the floor to apologize.

“HA HA HA!!! LOOK AT THAT! She’s on her knees now!” Slaine didn’t mind the failure; he wasn’t as fanatical as 7 and 13.

“My, My. Well, you all shouldn’t apologize. In fact, you should see it as the opposite effect.” Abbey’s generous mood started to turn more malicious over time as the conversation went, a profound and sickening energy seeping from her body. The sheer pressure of it caused Slaine, who had now begun to eat his food, to instantly throw it back up. Kamari’s body started to visibly shake with the pressure, nearly forcing the woman to faint. Julito seemed unchanged, as did the one marked as 13. The remaining five in the room shrouded in their robes' darkness seemed unaffected until one collapsed to the floor.

“Yes, indeed. I think this coming tournament will truly be an interesting one. Thanks to you all. Perhaps I should reward the victors; perhaps it's time to awaken this giant of a nation once again~.” The sickening energy spewing from her subsided immediately as a butler walked in with a small box in his hand.

“Lady Abelith. The artifact as you requested.” He’d say, placing it in front of her before giving a gracious bow of respect and leaving.

Abbey was more than excited for this one. Opening the box as everyone in the room suddenly had their attention caught by a beautiful orb of energy that radiated different shades and colors periodically.

“To think the butterfly would help me out so much without knowing~. I thank you, thirteen.” Her eyes shifted to the 13th dragon, who was still praying faithfully to her. They would say not a word and continue to pray while being fixated on the orb.

“I think this will be a perfect reward for the victor. Hehe..” Abbey closed the box knowing the contents within were highly valuable. While it was out in the open, she noticed every dragon in the room fixated on it. Some even seemed to crave it based on their energy. When placed before a large viewing audience and potentially more than 250 singularity users all on the national level, what would happen? Perhaps chaos and anarchy, or would their craving for such an unknown object defy all logic?

That is what Abelith wanted to know.

3