Chapter 42 – Bigger Picture
154 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A roar from a crowd across the stadium enveloped all within meters of viewing screens. Within Side A of the tournament, California miraculously achieved a victory against Florida, with the score tying it together 2-2 with the Captain match deciding it. Entering into one of the viewing rooms, a hearty man greeted the one that just entered.

“Excellent work, Lei~!” His voice booming in strength similar to a particular East-Bridge vanguard. This was Hayden Hart, the founder of Silver Valley’s very own singularity club and a top contender at the nationals. Within his view was a Chinese female dressed in their typical school uniform, adorned in white and black coloring. Unlike the rest of the team, she seemed to be the only one dressed. To boot, her expression hardly invoked cheerfulness.

Only when a nearby teammate extended their arm out with a watermelon slushie did Lei’s expression perk up. Quickly taking the drink and savoring it — To think slushies would be something to drink in the dead of winter. But, this wouldn’t be the first time someone had odd cravings.
The one that handed her the drink went by Drogo, who had strange phantoms looming around him. Quite the emo-looking guy. It fit him since he had a droopy mood constantly, yet that mood shifted with a simple smile upon watching Lei drink. Hayden himself was rather buff and the tallest in the room, hardly wearing any formal uniform apart from a fashioned cape wrapped around him and sweatpants. Not even a shirt to shield himself from the cold, nothing more than his bare chest out for the world to see. His muscles were the most defining feature that people took notice of.

Hayden clearly looked like he’d fit in well with East Bridge. He’d stand before Lei arms crossed, waiting for her to finish drinking.

Lei Lingxin: California’s captain and exchange student from China, her eyes met with Hayden only to be slightly annoyed at the intimidating man's figure. His stare also didn’t really help — yet, he’d bring her in for a hug!

“I knew you could do it! See, I was right after all about you. Before long, you’ll be back home taking on the best at this rate~.” Hayden released her.

“... All I did was use my yarn, nothing else… Fate simply made me win. That and, I’m still far from contending with the best back home.” Her mood started to sour, recollecting bits and pieces of what led her to America in the first place.

“Don’t be like that. The more you talk about it that way without improving just makes us look weak.”

“Sorry… I didn’t mean it like that. I was referring to myself… “

“Yourself?” Drogo replied.

“Yeah. I wasn’t much of a contender back home. Let alone assigned to a team...More like backup.”

“Rough…Do you wanna be back up aga-” Drogo suddenly felt the pressure of a kick knock him off balance. Their team's Lieutenant interjected, stopping him from saying anything stupid. Elsie Lancaster, a girl that seemed to have bunny ears poking out of her head and dressing rather casually for the occasion, though, unlike Hayden. She had quite the winter coat fitted around her.

“Don’t say things like that to her! Think of her feelings, Dro!” Elsie started to hop up and down in a rhythmic manner, ready to kick Drogo again if he said something foolish.
“It’s fine. Though, I’m happy to participate on an easier skill level.”

“So we are weak?” Hayden pondered for a moment, though it wouldn’t be much of a shock that most of the state teams weren’t as strong as other students from different nations. Though to his mind, only five individuals stood out as capable of at least contending with the best of the best. Madhri being one, he’d rank himself there, Holly and of course excluding the adults. The only other person that would likely crush someone could be Clark.

“No. No!”

“Yes! Then we shall prove to the world that our average joes can throw hands at the best! HA HA HA HA!!!” Hayden’s spirit hardly faltered at knowing China, at least on average, had better fighters than them. Lei only grimaced, knowing Hayden enjoyed fighting stronger individuals. She just wanted an average match without any crazy powers being thrown about.

“Well, hand to hand combat is one thing, though. Mental fortitude is another. America seems to be very reliant on overwhelming power.” Lei hit the mark there.

“No kidding~. Though, that’s to be expected. Honestly, I can’t wait for the semis. Two more to go, and we’re there. And on the other side, New York is waiting.” Hayden began doing push-ups to train himself for the match ahead.

On the other side of the building, Alexia returned to the room, receiving quite the hug from Roy and Heidi, promptly collapsing her to the floor.

“WAY TO GO, YOU DID IT!” Roy shouted.

“NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!” Heidi followed then stared daggers behind her at Deveron, who simply looked away as if nothing involved him.

“I don’t think it’ll happen again. The other teams are likely spooked seeing two fate matches end up going against the proposed team.” Reynolds caught everyone's attention then pointed towards the T.V. screen.

The third match was underway. Just as quickly as they moved onto the next, their next opponent would already be moving through the brackets. Now was the time for Starlight to collide with a dark horse. Leilani Academy — Hawaii’s champion school.

The intercom turned on.

“Would all vanguards head to their respective positions.” The intercom turned off as Roy finally rose to the occasion once more.

“Well, our little bet is sort of damaged now that Alexia already went. But, now's the time~!”

“Time for what?” Alexia replied.

“Hehe~.” The lad was quite amused with himself reaching into his shirt and pants, removing what appeared to be small weights. Tiny bars, which barely seemed to weigh much until he dropped one as it crashed into the floor, breaking the tiles. Fortunately, they were on the 1st floor. If not for that, the weight would have broken through with ease.

“Weights? It’s been a while since we trained in those. I completely forgot...Wait, you were wearing those this entire time?”

“Well...Only in the 2nd match. I wanted to gamble myself.”

“You guys… Please stop doing this.” Reynolds pleaded. It seems Deveron and Alexia have influenced Roy to do something rather stupid, whose to say Heidi didn’t have anything planned either.

“I don’t think it’s that harmful.” Cheveyo chimed in. “I’d like to see how he fares now with all those hidden weights off.”

“See, I even got Chev interested. Time to go wow the crowd.” Roy took off before anyone could stop him. Reynolds couldn’t believe it — if the team kept doing ballsy actions, it was going to bite them hard.

Not long after arriving, Roy was warmly greeted by an individual currently facing his direction. Before him stood a fairly beautiful young girl with enough beauty and grace to instantly send him into a daze, at least in his eyes. With a bit of effort, though, the teen shook his head, trying to recompose himself, taking a gander at her once more. She was his opponent, and he needed to focus on that detail... or well, that's what he'd want to tell himself. Too bad the only thought coursing through his head at the given was what Heidi's reaction would be if she found out.

“So you’re Roy, huh? You may call me Naomi. Nao is fine, too~. Let’s have a good match, okay?” She even had a cute voice. But, he couldn’t quite shake the feeling she was testing him right now.

“Naomi, huh? Yeah! Let’s have fun!”

The two shook hands before taking their place on the machine. Reynolds, back in the room, stood up and decided to take a bit of a break.

“I’ll be back, going to see what the faculty room has to offer.”

“But, you’re not even staff here.” Alexia poked her head from over the couch, watching Reynolds open the door only to be greeted by foundation members. Specifically, the Enigma branch.

“I have clear-” Reynolds halted upon seeing the foundation members. One of them would speak before Reynolds could say anything further.

“Stanley Reynolds?”

“Yes, that would be me.”

“We require your assistance if you would follow us.” The foundation members moved out of the way, ready to guide him. At first, Reynolds wondered why then recalled a couple of individuals in his head that would need him.

“Alright, I won’t fight you on this. Lead the way. I’ll be back in a bit.” He’d gesture to the others to remain seated. Closing the door, they would leave as Heidi, Deveron, Alexia, and Cheveyo heard footsteps echo down the hall.

“As if I’m going to pass up this opportunity. Hehe. Hit me up, Chev. I’m gonna see what's up.” Deveron poked his head out of the door, ready to follow.

“Hey, I want in too!” Alexia followed behind him.

“Wait. We’re still in a match. I can’t just let half our team go missing.” Although Cheveyo was inclined to follow also, he stopped himself knowing he can’t leave due to being up next. Heidi didn’t know what to do and simply chose to remain seated. Watching the match as Roy hurriedly avoided what appeared to be vines being uprooted from the ground.

“Then, just win. Me and Star-Child here can handle this ourselves. I don’t mind waiting until the semifinals to start showing my tricks.” Deveron left following that. Sneakily moving down the hall with Alexia right behind him.

“Ya’ know. We could get in trouble doing this.”

“Huh?” Deveron couldn’t believe what Alexia spoke. “Implyin’ they’re gonna just up and kick us in for doing a bit of investigating.”

“What’s being implied is that we might get disqualified if we step out of line too much.”

“Ease up. They have teach and knowing what I do about him thus far. We’re safe cause he’s not going to let this opportunity pass up on his career. Why do you even think he didn’t bat an eye when letting you on the team. It was the same for me and the others.”

“He was more amazed at my ability than anything else, but I was only added at the recommendation of the other three.”

“Be it what it may, I understand him considering Cheveyo’s recommendation, but the other two? At this point, I’ll agree with ya. The other two have proven themselves as of now. But, when they wanted to join so badly, Teach rejected them at first.”

Deveron slowed down upon making it deeper into the halls. However, despite the lack of security, the deeper they went, he noticed both of them entering into an unfamiliar part. Glancing back to see if Alexia was still behind him.

“Wait, he rejected them? I thought they were the first to join the team?” Alexia peaked around the corner, also noticing the change of scenery, the tournament building going from a smooth marbled corridor to that of high-tech panels and lights.

The foundation members stopped outside of a room, being greeted by what seemed to be priests who all shook hands with Reynolds. Their clothing indicated they were from the Vatican church. Accompanied behind the priests, a woman that stood about the same height as Alexia but dark blue hair and hypnotically colored purple eyes. The iris resembled an upside-down cross. Dangling above her head was that of a halo that periodically changed from yellow to pink. The rest of their body mostly covered up in robes, only the outline of a bow-tied uniform poking out from the top.

Deveron and Alexia's eyes were on the priests and the woman. Deveron so far has never seen anything like that woman before. However, Alexia could only attribute someone like her in similar regard to the kaleidoscope woman; she tested gravity on a while back.

Reynolds and those gathered stepped into the room, closing the door behind them with no guards apparent. Before the two could move up to check, a familiar voice reared around them as a hand placed onto their shoulders.

“You two do know this area is off-limits to participants and audiences alike. Such will result in disqualification if you do not report back to your rooms.” It was Lyn who went by undetected to both individuals.

“Hmph. Ease up. We have access. We were just following our advisor.” Deveron brushed off Lyn’s hand, still keeping his eyes on the door.

“Is that so?” Lyn peered her eyes over to Alexia.

“Y-Yeah! He went into that room over there.” Pointing towards the room, the group entered. Lyn, at first, thought it was an ordinary door until noticing the strange hallway. “... You two kids should go to your rooms.”

“Look, we aren’t kids. I'm legit eighteen!” Alexia grew more annoyed by the second. “Besides, as we said. We were following our teacher.”

“Compared to the real world, that number is nothing more than adolescence in the eyes of mine. I’ve given my suggestion if you two insist on lingering. Then you won't be treated like an adolescent.” Lyn reached into her pocket and strapped on combat gloves similar to Alexia’s.

“Hold up. What are you doing?” Deveron became concerned as the seconds passed with Lyn. Something about this entire ordeal was off. Alexia let out a soft chuckle witnessing Lyn’s fighting resolve. Whatever was about to go down started to fuel her fighting sensation.

“Protecting this tournament. It seems we have unwanted guests playing at the foundation's claws. This entire area is compromised!” Lyn slammed her fist into the nearest wall as a shockwave of energy diverged from her fist, disrupting the illusion.

The three of them were located far from the tournament grounds as the scenery changed to that of an abandoned district building on the other side of New York. Alexia and Deveron slowly took off their suppressors, placing them safely in their uniforms. The two of them looked more pumped rather than spooked at the scenery change.

“We’re dealing with a singularity that can alter the environment and warp.” Lyn provided, glancing back at the two before taking in a deep breath of air, looking to where the door led the group into. It was replaced by a metallic one heading deeper into the ground.

“Your advisor was kidnapped. Since you two are already here… I’ll ensure your safety and the return of him to you. The suspects will also be apprehended by me.”

“Heh~! Don’t worry yourself about protecting us, Granny. We’ll make sure to tell the NYPD that all three of us apprehended the suspects.” Deveron stepped up to the plate, ready for some action.

“You know what we’re capable of, so this will be an easy in and out task before today's matches end,” Alexia added.

Lyn grimaced at the thought and finally acknowledged the two.

“And that… Is why of all people you two should not be here… Adolescent kids hardly know the power at which they toil their fingers with...”

2