Chapter 58 – Captains
97 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amongst all positions, the Captain was tailored to being the anchor of a team. As of the current format, teams would usually place their weakest members in this position as a form of strategy. But this way, the position never really stood out against the others. Even to this day, they still regarded the position as the weakest link of a team by popular belief, the strongest usually being the Vanguard or Lieutenant, as the strategy was more tailored to a defensive wall strategy.

In the American League, however, this concept was about to get shaken to its very core.

Making it back from the stage, Mason carried his now ruined guitar into his team’s room, Elsie tailing him — The two clearly beaten up beyond belief. The energy wave really messed up their hair and clothing. Their body, however, was in a massive state of soreness.

“Y-You’re up…L-Lei…”

Elsie collapsed to the ground, while Mason managed to make it to the couch. Drogo watched this occur, as the phantom whispered in his ear. Hayden merely nodded, as if hearing the phantom himself.

“Thank you for your valiant efforts, you two! Now is the time for our darling Lei! To bring ‘er home~!”

Lei reached into their pocket, taking out a small case. In it were reading glasses. The girl put them on, only to look around the room for something else. In the corner were the group’s weapons, but all of them in suitcases if they had anything larger than gloves. Lei’s own weapon was in a suitcase that was quite small, a mere briefcase in reality. Slowly lifting it up, Lei glanced around the room, looking at two of her defeated comrades, one that simply was out of energy whispering to his spirits. And, lastly, the most energetic of the entire group.

“I’ll… Try my best then. Fate will guide me to victory…”

“Oh~. She’s talking about fate again. Kinda spooky, right, Drogo?” Hayden glanced over to the phantom whisperer.

“...Hm? Yeah, yeah. Fate has your back and whatnot…” “GOOD LUCK, LEI! Everyone back home is rooting for ya!”

Back home? Her true home she was an outcast, banished here because she lost against the one chosen above her own fate. Slowly, Lei gripped her hands tight around the briefcase before walking toward the door. China’s grand representative that bested them and everyone with ease was a monster among monsters. Fate destined them to lose, and yet again she was being thrust to fight another potential monster among monsters if the stories about Mahdri were correct.

The door opened up, and Lei turned to face her teammates. “Well, I’m off!”

“GOOOOO, LEI~!” Hayden was as supportive as ever, whereas Drogo merely waved goodbye with the faint aura of the phantom waving as well. Elsie knocked out cold, and Mason tried to play a tune on the guitar only to snap a string.

Within the announcing room, Livia started to ramp up the crowd as Paige continued to draw on her board. Within the room were a few animated characters like a small teddy bear, and a few crudely drawn butterflies roaming about. “AAAALRIGHT FOLKS~! I’m here with the ever-so-lovely Paige Braun! Together we will be introducing the Captains~!”

Paige continued to draw, this time forming a very descriptive portrait of Lei Lingxin, While Livia did their usual.

“Hailing from the far west! This powerhouse of a state has once more made its way into the breaches of the finals! But, watch out! For their captain is no pushover! With two consecutive wins back to back! Fate is the card she plays! GIVE IT UP FOR LEI LINGXIN~!”

From the double doors to the west, out came Lei’s briefcase in hand, tagged along with the cheer of the crowd. She was the first one to arrive, making their way onto the machine before unfolding their briefcase. Within it was their weapon of choice… A Diabolo!

Yet, within the confines of Georgia’s room, Xavion walked in carrying Tae on his shoulder, the girl clearly out cold in a hard sleep from using too much energy. He’d sit gently on the couch only to look towards their captain, Khinara. Who happened to be placing items into two of their leg pouches, one for each side.

“Well, this one’s gonna be out till the morning, probably. Think you can bring it home?”

Xavion looked to Khinara awaiting an answer. Even Tate and Jumon, whose eyes happened to be glued to the monitor, watched Khinara.

“Hm… Well, Mahdri is the main issue, but the other two I saw their matches before today…It might be difficult, so I’ll have to be patient.” Khinara finished adjusting their uniform before turning towards the door. Here she was yet again facing off in an important match, only this time around, their team didn’t have a trump card anymore. Her eyes looked upon Tae and then to Tate before opening the door. Yes, a true trump card that struck fear into other combatants, someone that would be revered in awe of power and sought out by all hands. Such a trump card they no longer had, and now she was tasked with winning against daunting monsters.

To be revered as a monster in these tournaments to Khinara would mean you are above the norm, to be ridiculed as a monster means you’re above the strong, and to be feared as a monster, you’re a danger to even reality. She wasn’t a monster; she was merely a girl that idolized one.

“Alright, I’m off. Make sure Tae doesn’t drool on the seats.” Setting out to the stage ahead, Khinara tapped their fingers against their leg, looking at the double doors on the approach. From the intercom, Livia’s voice boomed across the stadium.

“AAAND! Reigning in from last year’s tournament, A major fighter that stalks the shadows! Seeking to keep their title as champion, give it up for the one! The only~! Khinara Curry!” Khinara walked out the doors, looking at Lei holding their Diabolo, in truth, Khinara had never seen something like that as a weapon. Was it some kind of Yo-Yo?

“Fancy toy… It’s very unique. I like that.”

“Thanks, it’s nothing fancy where I’m from.”

“Really? Well, I’ve never seen anything like it. Can’t wait to see how you use it if that makes you feel any better.” Khinara always tried to do some small talk to her opponents. Even as Lei was about to respond, Livia’s voice boomed once more.

“But! Keep your eyes on the skies! For this next one is a shining star that keeps burning brighter and brighter! Give it up for Idaho’s very own, Alexandria Winchester!”

Both Lei and Khinara turned south to see Alexia approaching. Khinara took note of Alexia’s hair color. The luminescent light glimmering off the girl was mesmerizing, but her interest in it quickly went away compared to Lei, who seemed to be in awe, yet concerned, as it brought unfortunate memories back up.

“Good to have you, Starlight.” Khinara crossed her arms.

“Glad to be here! I look forward to our match!”

“Another battle junkie, huh?”

“Hey! I’m not that crazy for bat-” Alexia stopped short as both herself, Khinara, and Lei looked to the east, a cold breeze seeped from the double doors blocking off a power that was waiting to burst through. Lei’s own legs started to shake and even Khinara started to sweat from feeling this power. Alexia was left speechless by what she felt from the energy, but all three of them knew who was waiting. Then Livia spoke up.

“Introducing the reigning state champion! And RUNNER-UP of last year’s tournament! She is divine like the gods! Hailing from the east, she shocked the nation with her power and now she’s back to claim the throne as CHAMPION! INTRODUCING! Mahdri Ahuja!”

The double doors opened up with an eerie fog trickling out. After a few seconds, the crowd cheered on, only to be met by no one coming out.

“Um..M-Mahdri?” Livia tried to look from her stand to see if anyone was approaching. Even the three fighters wondered where she was.

“Surely, she didn’t forget…?” Lei questioned.

“Of course not… Don’t you hear it?” Khinara continued to look down the hall of the doors. Alexia listened closely, attempting to block out the sound of the crowd, even Lei attempted. The sound of footsteps approached, in the darkness of the hall a glimmer of orange shined in the eyes of Mahdri, there she happened to be adorned in her usual orange and red salwar kameez only this time, around her chest, arms, and legs the girl plated in golden armor. Even around her wrists were golden bangles, and jewelry adorned around the top of her head and neck.

Mahdri finally made it out, as the roar of the crowd overshadowed all the previous entrances, so loud was the roar that could be heard from even the farthest reaches of New York. Home field advantages at its finest, yet Mahdri did not care for the people watching. She had been dressed appropriately for combat in her eyes. The only people that mattered to her were the three standing before her as she stood on the machine.

“Good days~. Let’s have a good match!”

Khinara and Lei looked a bit dejected hearing those words come out of Mahdri’s mouth, yet they’d both nod in agreement, with Khinara starting to show a bit more determination and resolve. Whereas Lei showcased more courage bracing for the machine to start up.

“Y-Yeah! I look forward to it.” Alexia replied.

“Oh! Starlight, you changed your hair! I love it now!”

“My hair, it’s no big deal. It would get in the way, right?”

Alexia started to twirl the ends of her hair, still concerned about the light-emitting off it, but her focus stayed locked onto Mahdri. Soon enough, the machine started to rev its engines as the platforms beneath them glowed with a radiant light, particles starting to levitate all around them.

“Fighters, At the ready!” The system rang out!

Lei gripped her diabolo, and Khinara readied their hand near their pouch. Mahdri merely looked at all three fighters with an eerie smile. As for Alexia, she’d tighten their gloves for the coming fight.

The transfer started up, with Lei transitioning into the field first, followed by Khinara. Mahdri was up next. However, during their transfer, as Alexia watched, she saw the ends of Mahdri’s hair glow in a bioluminescent light of orange. Before she could say anything about it, out of shock, Mahdri warped in and her own transfer began.

When the transfer was completed, Alexia rubbed their eyes, preparing to take in the scenery, and all she was met with was a city landscape. Indeed, a mega-city that appeared to be a mixture of all the major American cities. This city, located on the already insane map layout that the previous fighters fought on.

“Great… Another city… It’s like they want to show just how scary we are.”

Alexia stood in the middle of a plaza next to a mall. This particular section looked more advanced than even modern cities, and gazing upon Alexia from the top of a nearby building, Lei Lingxin took a deep breath in and allowed fate to guide her path.

2