60. Despair
1.2k 24 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I couldn't take my eyes off the man with the curved sword… My body was telling me that the guy was really dangerous…

 

"Fuck! I swear I will kick the shit out of you and make a mug with your skull!" Runa shouted with anger as soon as she stood up.

 

"Oh? You're still conscious? I swear I hit you with enough force to send you into a coma." The guy spoke with an easygoing tone while scratching the back of his head.

 

"You bet I'm fucking conscious! I will get payback for this!"

 

"What a pain…" The guy was not amused. His hands were now touching the scabbard and the handle of his sword.

 

For some reason, that made the guy feel even more dangerous…

 

(Damn, to think we would find a Samurai from the island of Osshu here… Things will get a bit dangerous… Be safe and have fun! I'll be watching!) Astera spoke in my mind.

 

Wait… A Samurai? A real Samurai…?

 

Before I could even ask anything to Astera, the battle had already begun.

 

"Haaaa!" Elise had launched a kick towards the head of the guy.

 

The guy immediately blocked the kick with the scabbard of his sword.

 

"Nice panties." The man said to Elise with an uninterested tone.

 

Oi… Do you want me to rip you fucking throat out!?

 

I grabbed my spear from my back and took a stance. 

 

I swear I will feed the guy his own intestines!

 

"You…! Erase that from your mind!" Elise started to launch kicks and punches at the guy.

 

Every single punch and kick that Elise threw at him were either deflected or completely blocked.

 

"Quick to anger… I was just complimenting your choice of panties. Black is a good colour for a young girl." He said while blocking Elise’s attacks.

 

I swear a vein popped off in my head as soon as I heard that…

 

"I'm fucking married!" Elise shouted while still attacking the guy.

 

"Is that so? Well, ain't that guy very lucky?" He smirked while blocking each and every single attack Elise threw at him.

 

I started walking towards Elise and the soon-to-be corpse.

 

Elise continued to attack the man while he was nimbly blocking her attacks.  I took the opportunity to walk stealthily towards the blind spot of the man.

 

As soon as I reached that place, I started running before thrusting my spear towards his back.

 

But as soon as I did that, my Mana Perception and my intuition raised the alarms.

 

I had to let go of my spear and jump away.

 

It was a good thing that I did…

 

The man had quickly unsheathed his sword and had cut my spear to pieces… He was still blocking Elise attacks with his scabbard.

 

"It is not very nice to attack me like that… That was a good dodge though. Seriously, what a pain having to fight nine people…" He looked at me with an annoyed expression.

 

I could only look at the pieces on the ground of my spear…

 

I was completely dumbfounded…

 

(How the hell did he unsheathe his sword so quickly?) I thought to myself.

 

I couldn't comprehend what had just happened…

 

(That's called Iaijutsu. It is the art of drawing a katana as fast as you can as a counterattack.) Astera explained.

 

I was still way too dumbfounded to even understand her explanation.

 

"LET. ME. FUCKING. HIT. YOU. ALREADY!" Elise was completely angered.

 

"Damn… With a temper like that, I'm starting to feel pity for your husband." The man said while looking at Elise.

 

He was still pointing his blade at me.

 

"Did you forget about someone!?" Runa screamed very loudly.

 

She was once again flying through the air at an incredible speed. Her feet were pointed directly at the man's head.

 

"Tch." The man clicked his tongue.

 

"Take this!"  Runa shouted as her feet were covered in a strange energy different from mana.

 

Her attack was going to be powerful.

 

The man suddenly sent Elise flying using his scabbard and sheathed his sword… 

 

"What the hell!?" Elise shouted while she was flying through the air.

 

Fortunately, Lana was going to be able to catch her.

 

"I got you, Elise!" Lana shouted.

 

He then took a stance and drew his sword as soon as Runa flew close to him.

 

His sword collided against Runa's greaves which were infused with that strange energy.

 

"You're not the only one who knows how to use Ki, you bastard!" Runa shouted.

 

Ki?

 

"Ah… What annoying kid, who taught you that? What a pain!" The man seemed extremely annoyed.

 

"Kid!? I'm 70 years old! Take that back you fucking asshole!" Runa was outraged.

 

"70? Damn... So you're an old hag… That's way worse…" The man seemed creeped out.

 

"I'm gonna send you to hell now!" Runa increased the amount of power on her attack.

 

Even though she did that, the man didn't seem to be struggling.

 

"Sigh… Here we go again…" The man muttered.

 

I then noticed Normki who was running towards the man with her two longswords on both of her hands.

 

"Take this!" Normki swung both of her swords to attack the man.

 

There was a sudden surge of mana around the guy… His blade, which was colliding with Runa's greaves, had suddenly moved swiftly to meet Normki's attack.

 

As soon as I noticed, Runa had been sent flying again. Her armour had a big cut on the middle of his torso.

 

"Nice swords. Where did you buy them?" He said with an easygoing tone as soon as his sword clashed against Normki's twin longswords.

 

Normki didn't reply. She was staring with confusion at the man.

 

"Dammit!" Runa shouted just as she landed on the ground.

 

She had raised her upper body to examine her armour. Her armour had a clean cut and her belly was completely exposed. Other than that, she seemed unharmed.

 

Both Alma and Junko were running towards her in case she needed healing.

 

"Seriously, fighting against Ki users is really annoying… I could cut her armour just fine, but her body is even harder than the armour itself thanks to the Ki. What a pain…" He sighed heavily while his blade was clashing against Normki's.

 

"This will not go unpunished, you hear me!?" Runa shouted.

 

Alma and Junko reached Runa and started using healing magic on her.

 

"Ru! Don't stay there daydreaming! We will need your help!" Laura shouted.

 

Her shouting made me snap out of it…

 

(What the hell was I doing…? I'm supposed to be the Hero… I can't let them fight alone again.)

 

I immediately unsheathed my gladius.

 

"It is almost ready… Are you prepared, Laura?" Selk said with a serious expression. She was sweating a lot.

 

"Yes!" Laura nodded.

 

Their staffs had gathered a great amount of mana. The jewels at the end of the staffs were shining brightly.

 

"Sigh…" The man sighed with annoyance.

 

Normki had realized what Laura and Selk were planning to do and started pushing the man back.

 

I took the opportunity and ran towards the man. I readied my gladius to stab him on the back.

 

The man realized my intentions, turned his body slightly and used his scabbard to block my attack.

 

"Seriously… You don't have any manners, little one. When will you learn your lesson?" The man spoke with a blank expression.

 

"I will learn my lesson as soon as you forget about my wife's panties… Unfortunately for you, that will be when I take your brain out of your skull and turn it into minced meat to feed the dogs!" I showed him a sinister grin.

 

"Wait… What? You're her husband!?" He looked at Elise with a confused expression.

 

Elise was being held by Lana who had managed to catch her.

 

This son of a bitch… I swear that when I'm done with him, he will need a tube to feed himself.

 

"[Radiant Arrow]!" Selk and Laura yelled in unison.

 

"Ru! Now!" Normki shouted at me with a desperate expression.

 

I nodded as soon as she shouted that. The two of us jumped back immediately after that.

 

The man was still looking at Elise with confusion. He didn't seem to have realized that we had stopped attacking him.

 

Soon, a vortex of flames engulfed the man. The unbearable heat immediately hit me as soon as the vortex was formed.

 

I could only look at Selk and Laura and think:

 

(That's not an arrow…) I thought while looking at them with a blank expression...

 

Well, I guess we're done here. There's no way that the guy survived that.

 

"What a pain!" The guy shouted from inside the vortex of flames.

 

I jinxed it…

 

The vortex of flame was suddenly cut in half and the flames disappeared completely, only leaving clouds of smoke around us.

 

"That was a good attack... You have my most sincere praise. I had to get serious just to get out unharmed." The man spoke while hidden in the smoke.

 

He had to get serious…?

 

I started sweating profusely…

 

(This man is really dangerous… At this rate, I don't think we can beat him…)

 

Magic and attacking him directly didn't work… What can we do now…?

 

"I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Hayato. Most people call me: Yato, the Decapitator of Osshu. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, although it will be for a short time." He introduced himself.

 

Perhaps we should run away and get some backup… Perhaps if we attack him all together at the same time, we can win…

 

"For now, let's take care of the most troublesome people in your group… The mages." Hayato said ominously.

 

As soon as those words were registered on my mind, I panicked. Immediately looked at Selk and Laura and ran towards them.

 

It was too late…

 

I saw that Hayato was already in front of them with his hands on his scabbard and sword.

 

"This is what you get for disturbing my sleep, you bastards." Hayato said with a terrifying tone.

 

Both Laura and Selk looked at the man with confusion.

 

I was not going to make it in time…

 

Time slowed down as I saw how Hayato was quickly drawing his sword out to kill Selk and Laura.

 

Hopelessness immediately took over me as I was about to see them die...

 

"I will not allow it! You will not hurt them!" Normki shouted.

 

She had jumped in front of the attack and braced herself to block with her twin longswords.

 

The blade of the man immediately reached Normki's swords. His blade clashed against them.

 

"Normki!" Selk said with an expression full of hope and relief.

 

But...

 

"You're pretty quick. I was planning on playing a little more with you… What a shame." Hayato said with disappointment.

 

I then saw how he put much more strength into his attack.

 

Without warning, one of Normki's twin longswords was completely shattered…

 

"Ehh?" Normki looked dumbfounded.

 

"Hope you enjoy the afterlife." Hayato said with a blank expression.

 

My heart sank as soon as I heard those words.

 

He then put even more strength into his attack…

 

Normki, Laura and Selk were then sent flying backwards… Normki's remaining sword didn't shatter...

 

I could only look with despair at the three of them flying through the air and then falling towards the cold cobblestone.

 

I then noticed that the bodies of the three of them were covered in cuts. Their clothes were ripped off in several places.

 

"Guaaha…" Normki let out a strange sound as she started coughing blood.

 

"N...Normki… Please tell me you're alright… Damn… It hurts so much…" Selk already had her hands on her stomach, where there was a big and nasty bleeding cut.

 

"How…? How could this happen…?" Laura had a similar cut on her right side.

 

"I'm still alive… I think… Aaah! I can't move…" Normki said with an expression filled with pain.

 

The three of them were bleeding a lot… It would probably not take long before they bleed to death.

 

(They are pretty though! Don’t worry about them! They will make it through this!) Electra tried to calm me down.

 

Hayato's blade was already back on his scabbard.

 

"Damn… It looks like I missed... The scales of Lizardkins are really something else. You were really skillful to deflect my blade with your remaining sword as soon as the first one was shattered." He complimented Normki.

 

Hayato then started scratching his head.

 

"I'll finish you off soon. Now, let's take care of the rest." He said as he looked towards Elise and Lana.

 

Lana looked extremely cautious. She had already prepared her spear. Elise had a blank expression on her face. 

 

"What are you not going to attack? Then allow me to take the initiative!" Hayato shouted.

 

In a few moments he had appeared in front of Elise and Lana. He was in the same posture from before.

 

"What!?" Elise screamed with confusion.

 

"Watch out!" Lana shouted as she put herself in front of Elise.

 

Time slowed down for me again as I saw how he was about to draw his sword to hurt Elise.

 

(No… I won't reach them…) I thought just as despair filled my heart.

 

Hayato's sword was quickly approaching Elise and Lana.

 

I extended my hand towards them. I then noticed a very familiar bracelet…

 

(Please work! Please protect them!) I prayed in my mind just as the bracelet started glowing.

 

Just as Hayato's blade was about to reach Elise and Lana, a shining barrier appeared between them.

 

The sword collided against the barrier. The collision caused shockwaves which pushed Hayato away from Elise and Lana.

 

His hands were trembling thanks to the impact.

 

"Oi oi… I thought I had taken care of the mages… No, there's no way something this advanced would be made by those girls… I don't think there's anyone alive that could make something like this…" Hayato spoke as he stared at the barrier with befuddlement.

 

He started to rub his chin as if he was analyzing the barrier.

 

"We are alive…" Lana said with relief.

 

"Ru…" Elise looked at me with a loving expression.

 

My heart was immediately filled with relief as soon as I saw her smiling expression.

 

"Fuck… That was close! Let me go Alma! We need to attack him together! Go and heal the others!" Runa shouted as she was about to stand up.

 

"No! Don't move! You have some internal injuries! I need to take care of them now before he attacks us!" Alma shook her head and forbade Runa from standing up.

 

Runa clicked her tongue and did what she was told.

 

"I'll heal them!" Junko said as she ran towards Normki, Laura and Selk.

 

Hayato noticed Junko running towards our injured companions. 

 

"Oh no, you don't! I haven't given you permission to move, Fido!" He shouted at Junko.

 

He then took a posture similar to the one he used to attack before, and then he unsheathed his sword.

 

He slashed the empty air pointing in Junko's direction.

 

My instincts raised the alarm again as soon I saw him slash the empty air.

 

I extended my arm towards Junko and a barrier appeared in front of her.

 

Something crashed against the barrier as soon as it was summoned.

 

"Ehh?" Junko looked at the barrier with confusion.

 

Unfortunately, I didn't have any time to see her cute expression. Hayato appeared in front of me.

 

"I didn't think you were a mage. You completely fooled me, I should admit that. I wonder why you are fighting with weapons instead of using magic." He said with a serious expression. He had one of his hands on holding the hilt of his sword.

 

As soon as I saw him, I was consumed by an overwhelming rage.

 

I tightened the grip on my gladius and immediately slashed at him.

 

He blocked my attack using his blade. Our clash caused sparks that scattered around us.

 

"Why do you insist on using weapons? Show me some powerful magic, why don't you?" He seemed amused.

 

"You bastard… How dare you attack my wives!?" I shouted as loudly as I could.

 

My body was starting to feel strange… Unfortunately, I was so consumed by the unyielding rage that I simply ignored it.

 

(Ehh!? Why are you accessing that evolution now!?) Astera suddenly shouted in my mind.

 

I ignored her… I was way too focused on Hayato.

 

I started to push back against him… He didn’t fight back. He was looking at me with confusion.

 

“What…? Just who are you…?” He looked at me with befuddlement.

 

“Why are you asking such an stupid question, you bitch!? I swear that I will rip apart your throat if one more word comes from your mouth!”

 

(Ru, this is serious! How in the blazes are you doing that!? It should not be possible!)

 

“Forget about it, I will definitely tear apart your insides! Prepare yourself, bastard! Haaaa!” I shouted as much as my lungs would allow me to.


-----Hayato’s POV-----

I was witnessing something really strange… I had been fighting Alpine Tempest plus some other people. All of them were weak, so I thought that I could maybe entertain myself with them for a bit.

 

I managed to beat most of them easily. The dwarf might have been a little bit more durable and skillful than I thought… To be able to use Ki in such an effective and genius manner. She managed to endure several slashes of my katana in my special posture.

 

Then, there were the mages. They have talent, I cannot deny that. But they still need to learn more before they can actually cast a spell that is able to kill me.

 

The healers are also talented… I managed to observe them for a bit, and I have no complaints about their skills. They could probably cast high level healing spells if they work together.

 

And finally, the most strange person I have ever met. A golden skinned goblin… No… A golden skinned Hobgoblin, he has a horn.

 

He tried to fight me only using a spear and a shortsword even though he wasn’t that good at it. My theory is that he still has some low level Grade on their related skills and he was training to improve them.

 

In reality, the hobgoblin was a talented mage… The most complex barrier I had ever seen… It was strong enough to push me back and block my Air Iaijutsu…

 

The goblin suddenly lost his temper and attacked me again with the shortsword. I blocked his attack easily.

 

There was something different about him this time…

 

He was pushing me back… He had gained an enormous amount of strength all of a sudden.

 

But that’s not the strangest thing… 

 

“I will really kill you, you son of a bitch!” He shouted at me while pushing me back.

 

He was getting taller… Not only that, his skin and hair were changing colours… His skin was turning red and his hair was turning white. The horn in the middle of his head had split into two and the two became longer. There were sparks of lighting traveling all over his body while it was changing.

 

“HAAAA!” He shouted and pushed me away with his shortsword.

 

I managed to land safely just a few meters away from my initial position.

 

The goblin continued to change while looking at me… Just by chance, I noticed the ears of a mousekin peeking on one alleyway nearby.

 

I didn’t have much time to look at the mousekin… The transformed goblin in front of me had launched its blade towards me…

 

I closed my eyes and stopped breathing… As soon as the sword came into my effective range, I cut it down with my own blade.

 

The sword shattered into thousands of pieces.

 

“Are you sure it is wise to fight me without your weapon?” I asked with sarcasm.

 

“I don’t need it anymore. I have something better in store for you. Now, let’s start this dance!” He smiled sadistically.

 

The way he spoke was different from before… Even his mannerisms seemed different…

 

I took a deep breath and then took a stance with my sword.

 

“It seems like this will be a long night!”

 

“It seems like this will be a fun night!”

 

The two of us spoke in unison before dashing at each other.

 

Heya! New Chapter! How are y'all doing? I, GodlyKamui, have ascended as a writer! Today, not only I wrote this chapter on my phone, I also did it while on the buss on my way to work! (I edited everything on my PC). Ah, I was also "fired" from my previous job and got a new one 10 seconds later. So there's that. We finally reached 60 chapters... It has been a long journey, even though we are just getting started! Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the chapter! I certainly enjoyed writing it! Don't forget to join the discord! https://discord.gg/uH6APbzrFR

39