Chapter 13 : Atonian invasion
212 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You did well. Driving off the Atonian invaders." 

Commander gives me our a week worth of wages in a pouch, putting it in his desk. I take it and put into my pocket.

Frankly speaking, I am irritated. We risk our life but as mercenaries, we receive only a little compared to the official soldiers who are sitting duck but as I used to receive this kind of unfair treatment in the office of my previous life, I suppress this disatisfaction. We even receive armour and weapons after all. 

The captain is standing next to him has something to say,

" I heard you went straight to the front, and kicked all their asses.”

Commander put a glass of wine on the desk and drink it. It was poured from an expensive looking bottle.

“This time, the enemies were around 40 strong, right? We suffer no casualties. I guess, first of all I’ll say well done’.”

I just exit the room, for the next mission.

****

"Today we shall kill all the invaders on the trade route!" 

Vice captain shouts the commands to all the soldiers in front of him, there are 100 including my minions.

“From the town, head west on the trade route to find the Atonian. So, you’ll execute this mission with the full squad! You’ll spread through the surroundings and exterminate all of the invaders!”

Jonah, the knight shouts his plan.

Vice captain and Jonah then have meeting with me. I bring Chucky and Yui as my adjutants as they have good brains.

Vice captain say anxiously,

"The eyewitness said that there are nearly 200 enemies, but you must be careful just in case there is a numerous existence."

“Well, no matter what there is, you just want us to kill them, right.” Chucky says nonchalantly. The two men from noble families look annoyed at Chucky's riposte. 

"You can count on us. We are like this but we really get the job done." I try to return us to visual air.

Captain laughs.

“You’ll be fine then. Until your duty comes, you can flirt with that beautiful lady over there.”

Hearing captain's words, Yui smiles and closes her shoulder to my arm.

"Let's go now. We need some preparation."

I stand up, pushing her away. She looks disappointed.

We go the my unit, comprising my minions and another 7 men as scout and guide.

The command is to find enemies in each part of trade route and kill them. What a random command. It is as if to ask us to cover the whole territory, who kill more will travel more. It is a random but manipulative. 

Our cavalries are being led by raiders at the front but Sterling who specializes in scouting went ahead alone before. 

Another team is beside the river, the commander and captain are there. Meanwhile, our unit is going around the hill.

All of the units are particpating in this mission, so the range of deployment is vast. The view from here is good; even if we can see something from here, it all appears as black dots moving, so we won’t understand the situation on the battle field.

Sterling and scouts aren’t saying anything, and the black dots aren’t collapsing or anything. The other team should be okay, right?

A sound of horse galloping and we see Sterling riding his horse.

"Commander's team is in chaos! The enemy numbers are too many!" Sterling shouts.

I order my minions charge down the hill with 5 other people from the official soldiers.

I see, there are about 100 enemies there, we’ll be in trouble if we only arrive with 22 persons who can fight. Of course, Yui and I are useless in battle.

The enemies in front are infantries and they are as lightly equipped as us.

They wont be able to stop the charge from the cavalry.

We, the cavalry unit, charge with our weapon pointed in front of our horses, then we thrust from the side to kill the enemies that are running towards the hill. 

We heard countless men cry, as we continue to stab and slash their bodies with our weapons and as they get stomped under our horse’s hooves.

However, as they outnumber us 4 to 1, our horses cannot move, and each of have to deal with several men encircling us. After a while, 2 of the official soldiers are taken down. 

"Hei.. Strong looking ones are coming. There are 50 men with them." A scout who suddenly appear shout. He hesitates in coming to us as our battlefield is swarming with enemies.

Soldiers from the commander's team clashes with the newly appeared enemies. It seems our team that faces enemies' strongmen are not commander's full strength. His team probably separates into 3 or 4 and spreading thin. 80 of them are fighting 60 of enemies.

After nearly half an hour, there’s so many infantry heads rolling this time, each of the cavalry are smashed by the clubs. 

Meanwhile, my unit using doing well, in thinning the the number of enemies. Yui jump onto my horse. She is now hugging my back on my horse while I am swinging my long sword. I even killed 3 men. 

Suddenly, a sentence appears in translucent form, alerting me, "Level 5"

I quickly check my panel, now I can summon 12 more minions.

That's a relief but I need space and piece of mind to select them. I look around, everybody is occupied, no, each of us is being surrounded. The reason I have less attackers is because Kureha mounted from her horse, going around my horse blocking attacks. I need to escape from this enemies and find space, oh, I also need weapons for the new minions. I need to go to vice captain's headquarter on top of the hill.

"Yui, I am going down." I whisper to Yui and push down her hands that are hugging me.

I quickly stand up on the horse and jump as far as possible. I crush to the ground and look back, confirming the enemies are dumbfounded behind me. I run as fast as possible, nearby enemies jump and slash my back.

"Aaaarg!!"

It is the first I feel so much pain since coming to this world that I immediately roll to the ground.

"No, master !!!" Kureha tries to reach me but stopped by a dozen of enemies. 

Two enemies slash me. I parry an attack but another slash cut my rib.

3 enemies are ganging on me. The first guy who attacked me, make another attack and I am in not good position to defend. Out of sudden, my sight is covered with white. 

"Aaaah!" A girl shrieks in pain and crouch beside me, trying to lift me up. It is Yui. Her right hand is bleeding. I pierce my sword into her attacker's chest. Yui's left index finger changes shape into a syringe and in inject into my wounded parts of my body. I stand up and run while pulling Yui's right hand. Witnessing thebizarre incident, the 2 enemies looks in disbelief, as we distant ourselves from them. Yui inject into her right arm and her wound heals. 

Upon regaining their composure, the 2 men chase after us.

"Eeeiii!!"

A voice of man wailing. I look back and see one of the pursuer has his chest pierced from his back to front. The weapon is a saber. 

I look further. Blocking enemies with a same type of saber, she gives eye signal to me, pleading me to escape. She actually threw her saber.

I run as fast as I can while Yui barely keeps up with me. I will definitely return, Kureha, with enforcement.

We reach the headquarters in no time. There are several encampment and we run further behind a large tent. There are soldiers here, thus, it won't be a problem if an attack. 

I summon 5 male 'runner' and 5 men around 170 cm, quite short compared to most of my minions appear. All of them are yellow skinned, black haired and have slanted eyes. I summon 5 male raiders and 5 Caucasian looking men appear, much taller than the runners.

The last 2 minions, I decide to summon 2 female archers. But different than usual, the minions do not appear immediately. I become worried. I cannot wait longer. As I about to bring to the front of tent, 2 female silhouette appear. One is brown skinned, silver haired, ears pointed to the sides. Another one is fair skinned, ears pointed upwards. Are they elves? Dark elf?

We head towards the central camp but meet vice captain halfway. He and his men are fully equipped. He look at the people behind me and his eyes go wide.

"What... What ... Who are them? "

"My reinforcement. Forget about it. Weapons. We need weapons for them." I say while shaking his shoulders.

Regaining his sense, he signals us to follow him to a tent. Inside there, there are many weapons. 

I give the 5 runners two short swords each, falcata. Short falcata has varying shapes but that's the only kind of short sword here. I give 5 long swords to the raiders. I give the ladies a long bow and a short bow each. But the dark elf insist on taking a falcata with her. Does this dark elf minion use close combat weapon?

I also ask them to wear chainmail and armours.

We then rush with vice captain and his 30 soldiers to the downhill. 

"Support the commander's army. They are in a pinch!" Vice captain understand my words as he sees the commander's army is halved at the end of downhill.

Vice captain and infantry rush to help.

On the other side, my minions are alive but there are wounds all over their bodies. The official soldiers with them are killed. 

The elves shoot several arrows that kill several enemies further back. The new guys take the chance to kill the weakened and shocked enemies as many as possible.

Within 15 minutes after their arrival, the over 150 enemies who are swarming us are killed. 

The badly wounded are Kureha, Rudolf and Eto are healed first by Yui. Then, she heals others.

From the upper ground, we are catching our breath and observing how our allies are being cut down one by one.

3