Chapter 8 | The Battle of Washington Bridge
741 8 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This was my first time writing any major combat sequence. So, please provide any feedback that you'd like in how I might be able to improve future sequences!

This also happened to be my longest chapter written thus far! Clocking in at 4,100 words.

The Battle of Washington Bridge

I nodded. "Thank you Rachel." I told her. "Anyone have any complaints against stopping at the Riverside Station?" I asked.

Both Kevin and Jackson shook their heads. "Alright then, to Riverside Station it is!" I announced to our small group.

 


Genisis_Paragraph_Break_72.png

As we got closer to the growing crowd around the National Guard platoon, the crowd became deafening, and we attempted to push pass the throngs and actually make it onto the highway itself. It was at that moment that I realized my hearing had actually improved itself slightly, for if I focused, I could pick out the voices of the soldiers.

A Lieutenant, likely the commanding officer of the platoon was in the back speaking to a Private who was currently receiving a call from somewhere. It was one of the Staff Sergeants that had apparently been tasked with crowd control. The man was yelling quite loudly, so it wasn't all that difficult to pick out his words. "Once again," he yelled, "We need everybody to calm down, the only information that we can provide at this time is for everybody to move towards Auburndale!" he announced. "The Riverside Station is currently being setup as an evacuation center! However! Under orders of the Governor and the President of the United States, if you are a member of the National Guard, you have been ordered to make your way to the 'Solder Systems Center' in Natick to be outfitted and temporarily assigned to a deploying Company or Battalion!" It was clear that the man was struggling to make himself heard, and it was likely that most people still couldn't hear him. It was at that point that I noticed a somewhat helpful, and strangely extremely resourceful bystander approach the Staff Sergeant with a megaphone. After a few short words with the Staff Sergeant, the man nodded and stepped back. The Staff Sergeant, now armed with a megaphone repeated his previous announcement. With his voice now being heard, the crowds visibly calmed, and they slowly began filtering forward onto the Turnpike.

I then turned my focus to the Lieutenant speaking to the Private, who was currently listening into a radio and relaying information to the Lieutenant. However, after a few moments of my observation, the Lieutenant's face visibly blanched, and he began shouting orders to his small platoon.

Emergency Quest has been issued:

Title: [ Survive ]

Objective: Survive

Bonus Objective: Defeat the Demon Scouting Party.

Reward: Just get the hell out of there! Though, if you do miraculously defeat the scouting party, i'll grant you quite the reward.

"Uh.... What?" I suddenly trembled.

"Combat formations!" the Lieutenant suddenly screamed out. "And get those evacuee's out of the way! Things are about to get heated!" With that nerve-wracking announcement, two Fire Teams split off from the sides of the platoon of soldiers, moving into their individual Strykers, and manning the turrets. Another Fire Team clambered onto the M1 Abrams, while the rest of the platoon, numbering about two dozen moved forward and began pushing the crowds down the road onto the Turnpike. "Out of the way! Get on to the Turnpike NOW!" they began yelling. At this, the crowd turned into a frenzy, pushing and shoving their way onto the small road leading to the Turnpike. There had to have been at least several hundred people too.

Our own group had already made our way a bit ahead of the crowd at this point, and with the running crowd, our pace quickened until we began sprinting down the turnpike. Turning back around I caught sight of what had alarmed the platoon of soldiers, and apparently granted me a strange quest. A literal horde of [Lesser Demons] and monsters was sprinting at the crowd of people. Among the advancing horde were several variations of [Imps], as well as smaller groups of what appeared to be [Hellhounds]. While these were the cannon fodder of the Demon Armies, they still were very effective in their swarm tactics. The amount of them was also downright terrifying.

The [Imps] looked surprisingly similar to [Goblins] but with a much more demonic appearance. They only stood about three feet tall, and their skin was an ashy gray, with large upward pointing ears. Their yellow growing eyes, and protruding sharp teeth did nothing to belay their sinister appearance. Their hands and feet only supported three digits each, and from their spines protruded long pointy bones. They were gruesome, feral, and absolutely ferocious, in the game they always made every effort to tear off limbs with their long, and very sharp, claws.

The [Hellhounds] looked similar to a grey wolf, however they were much more menacing. Their fur was slightly darker, and typically struck outwards, almost like a flowing mane from their back. Their faces held the most telltale signs however, their glowing red eyes, and near constant snarl were indicators of their demonic nature.

It was obvious their appearance dramatically startled the soldiers, as well as made the crowd grow hysterical in their frenzy to escape. Suddenly, with a shout from the commanding platoon Lieutenant, a Fire Team fired a warning shot above the heads of the advancing Horde. There was little hesitation as they continued to swarm forward. At that point, the Lieutenant gave his signal. Suddenly, in a deafening boom for anyone close by, the M1 Abrams fired its main 105mm gun, causing a fireball to erupt in the midst of the horde. Dozens were killed instantly, with many more injured, within that compact mob, but it did little to stem its momentum. Afterall, there were nearly a thousand of the demons rushing forward.

As if in response, the [Hellhounds] broke off from the main body of the horde, nearly a hundred of the beasts swarmed forward, but were instead greeted with an onslaught of lead from the Stryker's M2 Machine Guns, as well as the forward-facing Platoons.

As a result, a majority of the fast approaching [Hellhounds] were decimated. The [Hellhounds] were quick, and in response, they began to zig-zag across the battlefield, doing their best to make it close. Only a few managed to do so, and the nearly half-dozen or so that made it through pounced on the defending soldiers, easily cutting through their body armor and tearing into the unlucky few. Their squad mates were quick to react however, and finished off the hounds that managed to break through. The damage was done however, and with the forward-facing platoon's numbers having been significantly decimated, it became clear that the weakened firepower may not be enough to overcome the adapting horde.

And, adapting it was. Seeing the futility that would come from a frontal attack, the horde acclimated to the battlefield, and instead of continuing to press forward, groups of them charged into the office buildings that flanked the sides of the street, tearing through the walls connecting the spaces, they emerged in their front, this time much closer to the platoon. Being outnumbered and outflanked, it became clear that the soldiers would be potentially fighting a losing battle. Urban warfare was a nightmare. Couple that with nearly a thousand demons, and it became darn near impossible of a situation.

The soldiers proved their mettle however. The sergeant, nodding in acceptance, quietly nodded towards the Private manning the radio, who then announced over the transceiver, "Broken Arrow! I repeat, Broken Arrow at the Washington St Bridge, over!" and then, nodding to the Lieutenant, the commanding officer, glancing towards the still fleeing civilians, motioned towards the M1 Abrams to advance, and then pulled out a bright red flare, throwing it forward. Then, with the engine sputtering into motion, the M1 Abrams lurched forward, driving straight into the on rushing horde that was seconds away from hitting the platoons positions. While the soldiers had managed to take out a fair chunk of the [Imps], it was clear that the overwhelming numbers still proved to beat their devastating firepower. The fighting quickly devolved into a fierce melee, with the soldiers pulling out their combat knives, and beginning to slash and hack their way through the swarming [Imps]. Slowly, but surely however, they too were forced to fall back. The M1 Abrams managed to still remain functioning, however, as it plowed through the demons, it began to slow down, more and more pieces of flesh and bone began piling up within the tracks, and it slowly came to a stop as the tracks jammed.

The two Fire Teams manning the Stryker's, sensing the loss of the Platoon spread the forward area with another hail of lead, attempting to take out as many of the [Imps] as possible before they reached the fleeing civilians. It did not halt all of them however, and several [Imps] began to split off from the main horde. It became quickly obvious that this splinter groups target were the evacuees. The remaining Stryker's were too focused on holding off the remaining swarms. As such, everyone else was left defenseless, and the crowds appeared to realize that, as the screaming intensified dramatically.

Kevin turned towards me, "Thomas, we have to do something. The [Imps] are going to tear through all of these people like paper." he said frantically.

As I turned to appraise the situation, our group paused and stepped to the side of the road as the rest of the evacuees ran past us. As of right now, there appeared to only be about ten [Imps] that had splintered off from the main group attacking the Stryker. The Stryker's also appeared to be effectively distracting the hundreds of the horde that remained. Their armor was made to withstand explosive ordinances. The constant beating of the [Imps] at most only scratched the armor, or slightly dented it, which gave the soldiers a clear advantage in a prolonged fight.

While I agreed with Kevin, I knew that charging straight at that horde was just suicide. However, handling the ten [Imps] might just be doable. With the Stryker's serving a suitable distraction, it might just work. I nodded towards Kevin. "Take my bow." I said as I handed him the case carrying the ranged weapon. He quickly unclasped its locks and began equipping himself. I simply set down my backpack and clenched the [Ornamental Metallic Sword] harder. It likely wouldn't last this exchange I realized as I looked at the weapon. It had already started showing some wearing down from the fight with the corpse earlier. As I appraised the sword, I gained a better understanding of the situation.

Name: Ornamental Metallic Sword

Prerequisites:

Strength: 3

Values:

Attack: 2

Durability: 9/10

Info: An ornamental sword. Despite how it looks, its edges are dulled and is largely useless in extensive or demanding combat.

It may just cover some of my bases though. If Kevin were able to take out two or three of them, then perhaps I could take on the rest. My increased attributes may just barely ensure that. Even better though...I thought as I recalled my newly gained elemental affinities. I may be able to utilize some magic.

Within Holy Arc Online, skills were critical when it came to casting any real magic. Once that system merged with reality it became apparent just how critical skills became. While one could theoretically learn magic by simple study and the course of time, skills imparted rudimentary knowledge that drastically increased the efficiency in learning magic.

I used [Appraisal] on one of the approaching [Imps]

Name: Imp

Level: 2

Health: 25/28

While [Appraisal] hardly rewarded me with much in the way of information, being able to see the health of an opponent went a long way in analyzing their strength. The [Imp]'s health was about a third of mine. As such it was likely their [Constitution] was rather low.

"Well then, let's get moving Kevin." I said to him.

I had nearly forgotten about our other two companions though, and it came as no surprise when Rachel vehemently objected to what we were about to do. "You might get killed Thomas!" Rachel screamed. "You can't just run off and pretend to be some kind of Hero! I can't lose you like this!" she began, with tears streaming down her face. The situation was clearly a difficult one.

"Rachel..." I started.

"No!" Rachel cried out, "Thomas, you can't seriously be thinking about this!?"

Glancing behind us, I saw Kevin had already started advancing towards the [Imps], taking a position on the side of the road and readying the bow.

"I'm sorry Rachel, but I promise I'll be back." I told her with a frown. I knew that it was reckless, but, in the back of my mind something told me that if I wasn't reckless now, then I would likely shy away from conflict in the future, and that would only endanger our small group even more. The decision to fight had to start now.

Armed with the knowledge from [Basic Sword Proficiency] as well as [Basic Elemental Affinity], I advanced forward. Rachel's continued screams only affirmed my resolve. Maybe she doesn't realize it now, but this is the only way to protect her. I thought.

At my decision, Jackson, unarmed, did the only thing that would prove helpful in this situation. He held Rachel back.

She is going to be absolutely pissed if I make it out of this.

I ran forward, rushing past Kevin, and began to use my [Earth Elemental Affinity] to begin conjuring a sharp blade of rock. It was more difficult than I imagined, even armed with the knowledge to do so, the actual application of it still proved quite strenuous. As small particles of stone began appearing and coalescing in front of me, I could feel my mana slowly tick down, until it had dropped by a full 12 points by the time the [Earth Shard] formed. As the last of the crowd swarmed past us, Kevin nocked an arrow in place, and fired. His first shot sailed close over head of the closest [Imp] to us, missing, they were still about 40 feet away though. Kevin quickly nocked another arrow in place, and fired a second shot, this time hitting an [Imp] in the shoulder, causing it to grasp its shoulder and noticeably slow down. Kevin had likely just gained a proficiency skill in wielding a bow. It was at this moment that I chose to launch my [Earth Shard] at the closest [Imp] to me, successfully nailing it straight in its head. I was greeted with an extremely pleasant message.

You have dealt 31 points of critical damage to [Imp]

...

Level 2 [Imp] defeated.

15 experience points received.

75 / 110 experience points until Level 2

I grinned slightly. That was fortuitous. Immediately conjuring a second [Earth Shard], which formed slightly faster this time, I launched another shard when they were just twenty feet away, when at the same time Kevin released an additional arrow.

You have dealt 17 points of penetrating damage to [Imp]

...

[Imp] has been incapacitated.

Sure enough, the System was not lying, the [Imp] had been knocked right in its center of mass, its chest. The air clearly had been knocked out of it, as it fell backwards onto the ground, struggling to breathe. Kevin's final arrow had also found its mark, right in the neck of a storming [Imp], knocking it out of the fight as well.

Six left. With an additional one struggling to catch up. I thought.

With only enough time for one additional spell, I quickly switched over from using my [Earth Elemental Affinity] to conjuring up a spell using my [Air Elemental Affinity]. This time I needed an area of effect spell. Fire would be rather ineffective against Demons, at least at my level. However, I may be able to knock them off balance with some air magic. My mana had already fallen to 86 / 110. Still plenty enough to use for my last spell. Once again focusing on the knowledge I was granted with the Air affinity, I conjured up a [Powerful Gale] spell. Just as the remaining [Imps] began to arrive within striking range, I launched the spell, and a powerful force of wind erupted into the onrushing [Imps], knocking them all off of their feet.

You have dealt 3 points of wind damage to [Imp]

...

You have dealt 2 points of wind damage to [Imp]

...

...

...

I ignored the onslaught of similar messages, instead choosing to advance and use the little time I bought myself to thin the herd once again. I charged towards the closest one, and upon stepping over it, I raised my foot, and forcibly brought it down on the demon's chest. Knocking the air out of it, I then angled the [Ornamental Metallic Sword] and stabbed it down on the Demon's neck. The blackened blood of the Demon spurted out of the fatal wound.

You have dealt 33 points of critical damage to [Imp]

...

Level 3 [Imp] defeated.

20 experience points received.

95 / 110 experience points until Level 2

As I turned my focus towards the next closest [Imp], I could see that they had already begun to recover, I quickly performed the exact same task that brought me success with my previous kill on the next [Imp]. This time wasn't as easy however, as the [Imp] had already largely recovered from its dazed state. This time, when my foot connected to its chest, the [Imp]'s claws lashed out against my leg. I yelled out in pain, but kept my focus as I maneuvered my sword once again and stabbed it through the neck.

You have received 8 points of slash damage from [Imp]

...

You have dealt 33 points of critical damage to [Imp]

...

Level 2 [Imp] defeated.

15 experience points received.

110 / 110 experience points until Level 2

...

Congratulations!

You have now advanced to Level 2!

+4 Strength, +3 Constitution, +2 Agility, +3 Wisdom, +4 Intelligence, & +1 Charisma awarded!

I knew that the [Imp]'s slash normally would have done much more damage to the average person. Clearly my [Constitution] attribute had played a large role in this the lessened damage. At this point I became profoundly more grateful for my racial evolution as well as my overpowered class.

As I stepped back from the new corpse of the [Imp], the other [Imp]'s climbed to their feet. With only four left, the fight became much more manageable, however, I was still at a clear disadvantage. I was now outnumbered, and they could surely tear away at me rather quickly. As if sensing my uncertainty, the four [Imp]'s chose that moment to pounce, however, it was also the moment that Kevin fired another timely arrow, which made an opportune entrance into the side of the head of the [Imp] to my left, killing it instantly. However, that still did not delay the onslaught that I was about to be subjected to. Swinging my sword, I knocked aside one of the [Imp]'s mid-leap, while the other two connected to my body, pushing me to the ground as the three of us rolled over in a jumbled mess. Quickly, with my now superhuman strength, I punched one of the [Imp]'s, throwing it off me in the process, as the other managed to claw straight into my back. At this point however I began to ignore the messages that began pulsating in my view, willing them to deactivate for the time being.

I knew that last strike had dealt quite a bit of damage, but with the one I just punched dazed, I grabbed the one on my back, and threw it over my head onto the ground in front of me, still having held a firm grip on my sword, I chose that moment to stab into it's chest, and with a spurt of black blood, the [Imp] began to roll on the ground, screaming in pain. As I turned around though, I noticed that the other two Imp's had recovered, and were already converging on me once again. Even worse, the straggler [Imp] with an arrow sticking out of its shoulder had managed to make its way over as well. Facing three [Imp]'s at once again, I frowned. I felt my stamina having already dropped quite a bit from the recent struggle, and my health was slowly ticking down due to a bleeding effect on my back.

"Well, shit." I mumbled. Sensing their imminent victory, the [Imp]'s clearly began to smile. It was utterly horrifying to witness. Their sharp, grotesque yellow teeth were definitely terrifying. Perhaps that was their intention though. To make me give up. I wouldn't go down without a fight though. "Come at me you little shits!" I screamed out. Without needing further encouragement, they chose that moment to pounce once more.

Suddenly, a guttural scream originated from my left, and I barely witnessed Kevin barreling forward at an impressive speed, "Stay away from him you Bastards!!" he yelled. He slammed his full weight into two of the [Imp]'s sending them sprawling forward, and leaving the third [Imp] entirely caught off guard. The same [Imp] that I had previously wacked with my sword took the moment to still charge at me. I quickly took advantage of the moment, and thrusted my sword forward, right into it's charging path. The [Imp]'s eyes went wide as it found itself impaled nearly two feet into the sword, and then the yellow light faded away, replaced with a lifeless white, as it fell backwards. I quickly pulled my now severely damaged sword out of the now dead [Imp]. Glancing towards Kevin however showed that he was in a fight for his life. He lacked the same [Constitution] and [Strength] attributes that I held, and it was showing. He was quickly being overwhelmed, long gashes already appearing on his arms and chest.

The sight threw me into a rage, the anger drove me forward, and unconsciously I activated my [Leadership] skill. Immediately Kevin was surrounded by a glowing light, and the strikes from the [Imp]'s hitting him, did noticeably less damage. I charged forward, ramming the sharp end of what was left of my sword into the side of an [Imp] that had raised his arms up for another strike. The other [Imp] immediately stopped, realizing that it was about to be cornered. Quickly, grabbing a stray arrow off of the ground, I tackled the [Imp] and jammed it straight through the [Imp]'s eye. It almost immediately stopped thrashing around, as it laid dead on the ground.

Ignoring my desire to celebrate our victory, I turned over to Kevin, seeing him gasping for breath on the ground, clearly in pain. It was obvious that the soft golden glow that currently surrounded him was helping him considerably. I had yet to explore the effects of the [Leadership] skill, but seeing it's impact, I imagine it had something to do with providing an [Attribute] buff.

As I knelt next to Kevin, examining him, he opened his eyes and looked at me.

And then he grinned.

"You goddamn, crazy son of a bitch Kevin!" I yelled at him, a smile beginning to plaster my own face. "You almost got yourself killed!"

Grin still spread wide on his face, he grunted in pain, "well, clearly it worked, as you aren't dead either." he painfully chuckled.

Looking him over once again, I noticed that the bleeding had stopped, and the wounds were slowly closing themselves up.

Holy hell, I thought, skills from a mythical class sure are impressive. Attribute buff, and a passive healing increase? Downright ridiculous.

Choosing this time to navigate the notifications I had been receiving throughout the fight, I noticed that at some point the [Imp] I had incapacitated during the beginning of the fight must have bled out, as it too had apparently died.

Level 2 [Imp] defeated.

15 experience points received.

15 / 165 experience points until Level 3

...

Level 3 [Imp] defeated with the help of others. Experience has been split.

10 experience points received.

25 / 165 experience points until Level 3

...

Level 2 [Imp] defeated.

15 experience points received.

40 / 165 experience points until Level 3

...

Level 1 [Imp] defeated with the help of others. Experience has been split.

5 experience points received.

45 / 165 experience points until Level 3

...

Level 2 [Imp] defeated with the help of others. Experience has been split.

7 experience points received.

52 / 165 experience points until Level 3

...

Level 3 [Imp] defeated.

20 experience points received.

72 / 165 experience points until Level 3

...

Skill [Basic Sword Proficiency] has advanced to Level 2

25 experience points received.

97 / 165 experience points until Level 3

Now, that was quite eventful. I thought.

20