Chapter 45 | Community
319 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2,260 Words

Tomorrow we agreed we'd go find out. I'm sure we could recruit some help from our beloved military savior, Rick Thompson. After all, they wanted to find out what was happening here just as much as we did.


The sun waned on the horizon, its yellow rays slowly gave way to the orange-hue signaling the setting sun. Meanwhile, the Community gathered in front of Alex's house in preparation for whatever their leader had to share.

I watched and studied everyone's faces. The day had been long, and everyone was exhausted; yet, we had won a massive victory. We already briefly told the Second Lieutenant, in vague terms, what was likely to happen tonight. We only hoped he didn't grow too demanding in his questions over the coming events. It's a hard thing to keep secret anyways. Despite our assurances that what we were doing was... Not worth his attention, his curiosity was obviously piqued as he watched on.

To my delight and everyone else's, the temperature had actually increased as the sun approached the horizon. I figured that when the mana dispersed within the mana zone, the temperature would soon follow. Previously the temperature had been fluctuating in the mid-forties, and lower thirties at night, despite being in the middle of Summer. The overflowing density of icy mana within the mana zone was clearly no joke. It had dramatically affected the temperature, as only became obvious when the lack of it caused such a dramatic change in weather.

However, it was bittersweet as it was this same icy mana that had also helped keep the fires at bay when the world stepped into the apocalypse. I supposed that with the introduction of mana, the physics of the world had changed. Usually, temperature alone likely wouldn't have been enough to quell the raging fires that had attempted to envelop what was left of Shrewsbury. In our new reality, things weren't so simple. It wasn't just the heat of the flames and the cold of the icy air fighting each other for dominance. No, it was their magical counterparts. Ice and fire mana fighting a war over who would win.

In the end, the colder mana won. It had a leyline backing it after all, while the fire mana was running on a finite source of whatever material would catch fire. The victor had already been decided, even as the mana began to war against one another those fateful two weeks ago.

This was all just speculation though, but, it was rooted in my current understanding of the present rules that governed our world, and I didn't think I was too far off the mark.

Regardless, the temperature increase only helped everyone's mood improve as we shed off the extra layers of clothing we had grown accustomed to wearing. It was a welcome relief, to say the least.

In a roughly linear formation, arrayed in front of me were Rachel, Noah, Priscilla, Alex, Dante, my Father, Jackson, Harrison, Apinya, and William. Even Alejandro found it in himself to show up. We barely managed to convince the young man to step away from Antonio for just a moment.

Kevin stood next to me; being the only other High-Human, a pleasure that would soon be short-lived. Not that there was any resentment with the extinction of the title. After all, instead of two High-Humans in the Community, we were about to have more than a dozen. A fact that would intrinsically transform and shape the future of our Community.

As soon as everyone arrived, Priscilla voiced her displeasure at being dragged away from her place of repose, namely, her bed.

"Now would you tell us what the hell this is all about? I'm bruised, sore, and now you're making me stand here like a damn idiot. When I could be laying down trying to recover like we're all supposed to be doing!" She howled and emphasized every word she could.

'Ouch,' I thought. I didn't hold it against her, as Priscilla was pretty hot-headed. In fact, I was more amused by her outburst than anything else.

"Fine, fine," I acquiesced as I raised my hands in a mock attempt at appeasement. "We'll get this over with quickly."

I once again looked around at everyone, taking the moment in. Anticipation was evident on everyone's faces. Everyone except for Priscilla that is. It seemed that everyone else had some inkling of an idea of what was going on. Seems somebody couldn't keep their mouth shut. I thought. As I looked over at Kevin, who was currently sporting an innocent complexion, I knew who the culprit likely was. I internally sighed. There goes the grand surprise, I thought.

"So, to be as frank as possible for Priscilla's benefit," I began, "I'll just say this. Everyone in front of me right now has reached the obscure threshold of demonstrating 'unyielding loyalty' to myself. Qualifying you all for the High-Human racial evolution.

Priscilla went quiet after that, the only word escaping her mouth being a shocked, 'Oh'.

I smiled. Everyone else who hadn't been at the council meeting earlier showed mock surprise, indicating my earlier suspicion was correct.

"I thought that we had to show loyalty to you, Thomas? I mean... As far as I know, none of us jumped in front of you to save your life as Kevin had?" Noah quickly burst out, almost as if the question had been struggling to get out for a while now.

I shrugged in response, "I won't claim to know the intricacies behind the skill. All I'll say is this: I assume that when all of you put your lives on the line for the Community earlier today, that by extension you had demonstrated loyalty to me."

At least, that's what made sense to me. I was, after all, the leader of the Community. It was also the only explanation I had. Every single individual who was in front of me right now had risked their lives in the battle against the Lich. I was certain that every single one of them would have been willing to die for what we had built here, a fact that didn't cease to astonish me. How is it that so many people came to care so much about something so quickly?

'All except for Liam that is', I mentally cursed at his name. He was nowhere to be seen. In fact, no one had seen him since the battle. I was sure he had locked himself up in his loaned house, perhaps hiding? I think he knew what was coming.

I had more important things to do right now, and I was determined that he would have to face the repercussions of his actions tomorrow. This was the last straw. Perhaps we gave him too many benefits of the doubt, thinking he might have pulled through when push came to shove. Clearly, this mindset had endangered the Community. I couldn't kick myself in the head enough times. I just hoped that his experience was something we could all learn from. We couldn't allow for something like this to happen again. I mentally shook my head, focusing on the present. There was something important that I needed to do.

With everyone understanding why they were here, I then came to the part I was most nervous about, "If any of you would like to reject the offer, you can step aside now. I promise I won't think any less of anyone who makes that choice." And honestly, I wouldn't be. Especially for our newest members, or those who had never participated in the council. What would William think? He was new, and he was also Liam's brother-in-law. So what did it mean to him? Or Priscilla, who was naturally distrusting? Or even Apinya... Actually, I didn't know anything about Apinya. The man was unpredictable, and that was the issue.

To my surprise though, not a single one of them stepped aside. As I thought about it though, perhaps my worries were unfounded. If they reached the qualification of 'unyielding loyalty', then in all likelihood they wouldn't even feel the inclination to reject an offer that would have been wholly beneficial towards meeting that end.

As I looked into all of their eyes, it was clear that they all had the same determination that Kevin had when I offered him this very same choice.

We were about to become a true Community of High-Humans, and the excitement tore through my very being like a flame roaring to life. This... This was the moment that would change everything.

"As a forewarning for everybody... This is probably going to hurt a little bit." I said, remembering Kevin's own writhing when he went through the advancement.

With a final, mischievous smile at the thought, I activated [Paragon's Bestowal].

Skill [Paragon's Bestowal] has been activated.

The required requisite conditions have been met by eleven [Human] individuals within your proximity:

Confirm Racial Evolution of eleven [Human] individuals to [High-Human]?

[Yes] / [No]

The prompt was slightly different than what I had seen when I used the skill on Kevin. However, I was focusing on eleven people at once, so, perhaps it was expected. I confirmed the request.

Racial Evolution of the selected eleven individuals from [Human] to [High-Human] has begun.

Calculating...

Success!

Eleven individuals have been added to your genealogy.

...

Eleven individuals have been granted the title [Bloodline of the High-Human Paragon]

Calculating...

Skill: Paragon's Inspiration has been granted to the eleven individuals.

Description: The presence of your Paragon will invigorate you in combat.

Calculating...

A sufficient number of individuals have been advanced to the [High-Human] race via your bloodline.

The High-Human Paragon's 'Progeny of the Thirteen' will be created upon the advancement of the Juvenile Paragon to Tier 2, and the addition of one more individual to the Progeny.

NOTICE: Special title: [Bloodline of the High-Human Paragon] will evolve into [Progeny of the High-Human Paragon] and be granted to the first thirteen members of the High-Human race, not including the Progenitor.

NOTICE: Title: [Progeny of the High-Human Paragon] grants access to advanced specialized combat classes. Grants a lesser version of [Paragon's Inspiration] to surrounding High-Human and Human individuals. The Progenies are an extension of the Paragon itself. The greater the Paragon, the greater his Progenies, and the greater his people. They hold the potential to be the future leaders of their people.

NOTICE: You have received the title of [Progenitor]

NOTICE: Title: [Progenitor] requires a Paragon of a race to have established a Progeny. When your complete Progeny gathers in battle alongside you, their strength becomes your own.

Calculating...

Selection has finished.

Rachel Reyes - Level 6 [Mage] - has evolved into - Level 6 [Lesser High-Human Progeny Mage]

Jackson Johnson - Level 7 [Apprentice Blacksmith] - has evolved into - Level 7 [Lesser High-Human Progeny Battlesmith]

Harrison Tucker - Level 7 [Soldier] - has evolved into - Level 7 [Lesser High-Human Progeny Footsoldier]

Alex Parker - Level 10 [Warrior] - has evolved into - Level 10 [Lesser High-Human Progeny War Doctor]

Sam Parker - Level 7 [Battlefarmer] - has evolved into - Level 7 [Lesser High-Human Progeny Battlefarmer]

Dante Williams - Level 9 [Warrior] - has evolved into - Level 9 [Lesser High-Human Progeny Warrior]

Alejandro Rodrigo - Level 7 [Apprentice Builder] - has evolved into - Level 7 [Lesser High-Human Progeny Battlefield Builder]

William Meyer - Level 5 [Warrior] - has evolved into - Level 5 [Lesser High-Human Progeny Warrior]

Noah Clark - Level 6 [Mage] - has evolved into - Level 6 [Lesser High-Human Progeny Mage]

Apinya Arthit - Level 9 [Priest] - has evolved into - Level 9 [Lesser Priest of the High-Human Progeny]

Priscilla Hunter - Level 8 [Apprentice Hunter] - has evolved into - Level 8 [Lesser High-Human Progeny Hunter]

Uhhh, I just realized a potential issue... 'Did Rachel just technically become my daughter?' I thought. This was gonna be a little weird to explain.

Even disregarding that though, the onslaught of notifications had once again surprised me. Words like 'Progeny', and 'Progenitor' immediately stuck out to me. For the life of me, I couldn't even begin to comprehend the major importance of those words. I knew that this was a major stepping stone, but as always, only time would ultimately tell its impact.

As I predicted, everyone collapsed to the ground, and then they shook as though a jolt of electricity was coursing through their bodies. I couldn't help but worry slightly, but I knew they would all be fine. After all, this was just a natural byproduct of going through a massive increase in stats. Class evolutions were rare in Holy Arc Online, but from my own perspective, it seemed to have become a common occurrence. The phenomenon only lasted half a minute before it calmed. Those who had undergone a class evolution of a more... Melee-oriented variety had visibly toned, and their bodies glistened with sweat from the transformation that their muscles had undergone. Others... Well, they likely had pounding migraines, I noted as I watched several clutch their heads in obvious discomfort. I was all too familiar with both sensations.

Rick on the other hand, well... Let's just say he let his concern show a lot more than I had. We had warned him prior that something like this would happen, but that didn't stop him from looking at me, extreme concern evident on his face.

All was well though. As everyone stood back up, smiles plastered on their faces, Rick visibly relaxed, and his concern was replaced with noticeable relief.

The victims of those transformations? Well, they were ecstatic as they flexed arms, and looked at invisible interfaces. I was elated. Today marked the beginning of a new epoch for the Community.

Honestly, when I was writing this chapter, I was going to write every single name down in that wonderful big blue screen. Then, I looked at it. Realized how freaking massive that blue screen was becoming, decided to delete it all, and then write the magical word "Eleven". No need to thank me. :) Granted, it's still pretty darn massive. So forgive me, It's a necessary evil. *Cries*

Plus this chapter is pretty critical in setting up future story elements. So uhhh, I hope you're as big of a fan of blue screen as I am! :D

Anyways, here is what each class is. I would've put it into the actual main text if it wasn't so expansive!

Spoiler

[Lesser High-Human Progeny Mage]

+6 Wisdom, +7 Intelligence per level.

Skill [Basic Elemental Affinity] will be granted.


[Lesser High-Human Paragon's Battlesmith]

+5 Strength, +6 Constitution, +2 Dexterity per level.

Skill: [Lesser Smithing] has been granted.

Skill [Basic Weapon Proficiency] will be granted.


[Lesser High-Human Progeny Footsoldier]

+ 5 Strength, + 4 Constitution, + 3 Agility per level.

Skill [Basic Weapon Proficiency] will be granted.

Passive Skill [Marathon] will be granted. (15% Less Stamina Consumption from actions)


[Lesser High-Human Progeny War Doctor]

+ 5 Strength, + 4 Constitution, + 2 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom per level.

Skill [Basic Weapon Proficiency] will be granted.

Skill [Lesser Heal] will be granted.


[Lesser High-Human Progeny Battlefarmer]

+ 4 Strength, + 6 Constitution, + 2 Agility, + 1 Wisdom per level.

Skill [Basic Farming Proficiency] will be granted.

Skill [Basic Weapon Proficiency] will be granted.


[Lesser High-Human Progeny Warrior]

+ 8 Strength, + 6 Constitution, + 1 Agility per level.

Skill [Basic Weapon Proficiency] will be granted.



[Lesser High-Human Paragon's Battlefield Builder]

+6 Strength, +5 Constitution, +2 Dexterity per level.

Skill [Basic Weapon Proficiency] will be granted.

Skill: [Basic Construction Proficiency] has been granted.


[Lesser Priest of the High-Human Progeny]

+7 Wisdom, +6 Intelligence per level.

Skill [Minor Divinity] will be granted.

Skill [Lesser Heal] will be granted.

Skill [Basic Elemental Affinity] will be granted.


[Lesser High-Human Progeny Hunter]

+6 Agility, +3 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity per level.

Skill [Basic Stealth] will be granted.

Skill [Basic Tracking] will be granted.

[collapse]

14