Chapter 18
10.2k 5 226
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Reine and I finished bathing and exited the attached bath into my room we saw Marian sitting on the bed. She gave me a questioning glance but didn't say anything as I dismissed Reine and made my way over to the bed. Once Reine had closed the door to her attached room and I sat on the bed Marian spoke. "You  didn't do anything to your maid right?" It didn't sound like she was accusing me, more that she just wanted to make sure I was keeping my word.

"Nothing I shouldn't have, I'd be less tired if I had." I said tiredly. "I don't want to wake up tomorrow, that etiquette tutor is a demon wearing human skin, I'm sure of it."

Marina lightly chuckled as I complained. "Mrs. Cromwell isn't that bad, you just need to get used to it."

I let out a heavy sigh as I laid my head onto Marians soft thighs, I knew what she said was right but it was still hard to adapt to my new circumstances. As if sensing my discontent I suddenly felt Marian's hand gently brushing through my hair. "I'm sure it will be hard, but I'll be with you the whole way." Marian's words was like a sweet lullaby of reassurance, that quickly lulled me into a comfortable sleep.

 

I awoke to the feeling of gently prodding and Marian's voice calling my name. I groaned and tried to roll away, but Marian easily prevented me from doing so. "Vell-chan, you need to wake up, you fell asleep too quick last night."

I released another groan as I forced myself to heed her words, even though my sore legs and feet protested. I recalled her saying she'd wanted to talk more yesterday morning, but I'd been too tired last night to remember. "Sorry." I yawned while stretching my upper body. I rubbed my eyes as I looked towards Marian.

She smiled wryly as she brushed my messy hair with her hands, giving my long strands of dark hair some semblance of order. "I'd wanted to talk with you about a few things, the most important concerning your magic training." My tiredness began to fade as my interest rose. Magic was something I was extremely keen to try out, it was after all a staple of fantasy and something that was previously unavailable to me completely.

"Obviously, you'll attend basic magic classes with Kalista and Gabriel, once their Awakenings come, but that will really only teach you about non-attribute magic, something anyone can use. Thankfully no one else knows about your Life Affinity and Wisdom, the temples would hound us day and night to try and get you conscripted into their service. Alcrem would probably oblige since it would increase their support of him." I was pretty sure I heard her say something about priests of Iustitia being fanatics, but I ignored it as she continued. "However, this means that you're going to have to learn through unorthodox methods. I have a... friend I suppose, who was once one of Amare's priestesses. I plan on hiring her regardless, as she has a rare Gift that grants her high Affinities with every magic type, but would you be comfortable revealing your Status to another?"

I hesitated at her question. I'd be taking a large risk exposing my Status to another person, especially if that person once worked with a church. How would they react to the fact I could hide my Status, let alone a Gift like Heretic? But, I had decided to trust Marian, and if she thought that this ex-priestess was trustworthy I didn't see a large issue letting her know as well. It wasn't like I was actually that opposed to letting others know my Status, I just didn't want to draw too much attention to myself just yet. 

I nodded in affirmation of Marian's suggestion. "If you think this friend of yours can be trusted, I don't mind showing them."

Marian smiled reassuringly and gently rubbed my head, before abruptly stopping. "Oh right, I almost forgot, you have the Inspect Skill, right? Have you used it on any of your Gifts or other Skills? I don't know how much it will tell you at it's currently level but it should give you some information so you don't have another incident."

I shook my head at her question. It was something I was planning on trying, but I was thankful that Marian confirmed that I would be able to use it on my Status. "I haven't yet, but I'll do so while we've still got some time."

226