Chapter 54
6.5k 16 202
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had been at the Skill Shop for far longer than I had anticipated and by the time I arrived back to my room classes had just ended. I needed to keep my place for at least another week and I'd rather not be constantly fighting during that time, especially since my Skills wouldn't increase much from each fight as they would in the Dreamscape.

To that end I planned on dealing with all the challengers at once, with the exception of the lower half of the top ten. Not only was Kalista ranked 7th, now that Heinrich had been demoted to 6th, but the other three were also from duke households, and while I hadn't shown nearly anything in my fight with Heinrich, Kalista should have a general idea of what I was capable of.

That said I didn't want to go through each of them one by one, so I planned to run a first bout against the lower challengers, then a single team battle against the lower five, simply to show how great of a power gap there actually was. I wasn't worried about the challengers below ten as the gap was large, the other students simply couldn't beat the highest ranking nobles aside from nobility because the gap in training and resources were simply too wide.

There had been an occasional upset, and I thought Arya would be able to give at least Kali a run for her money. I also thought that Kali should actually have been fifth, as I felt she was stronger, but Heinrich was a disadvantageous match for her so it did at least make sense. There were also bound to be others who didn't want or need the spotlight as I had for the past few years, but I didn't think they would participate against me.

As for me, as long as my opponent didn't have instant kill abilities, or wasn't able to cut through my carapace I would be fine. Especially with Masochism back in my repertoire, as I'd slowly but surely grow in strength as I took damage, though my arousal would be rising as well it only affected me in the Dreamscape, so I should be fine once I exit.

It was with these thoughts that I carefully made my way to the headmaster's office while avoiding as much of the student body as possible.

The headmaster could only call my idea stupid and psychotic, but if anyone could pull off such a spectacle it would have to be someone with my set of Skills. The plan was to gather all the challengers below tenth place and fight me at once. They were free to form teams or even fight against each other, but essentially the goal was to defeat me, almost as if I was some kind of raid boss from a game.

Essentially the idea was that I'd be able to be rid of most of the dissenters against my rise and then once I was finished with them I'd deal with the lower five either in a team battle or one-by-one depending on their individual feelings. 

I also wanted to truly test the extent of my current abilities as I knew I was going to have to fight much harder foes, in probably more disadvantageous situations. To that end, I hadn't informed the headmaster, but I was planning on challenging my way up the top five as well, though I didn't think I'd be able to defeat the hero, and maybe even Gabriel, as I felt she was hiding her true strength.

Not half an hour later the announcement was made and everyone on campus was informed that I'd be doing said challenge in two days' time, both to give myself and my opponents time to prepare. Until that time I was also free of any responsibility for responding to challenges so I planned on holding up and tinkering on my gear, along with making emergency supplies.

The two days passed quickly and it was soon time for the big battle to take place. Arya looked at me worriedly as she helped fasten my somewhat improved armor to me. "Are you sure you'll be okay? Taking on over a hundred people by yourself is a massive task."

I didn't know if it was because we were closer, or that she was maturing, but I'd been finding Arya more beautiful all the time, and her worry only enhanced that. It was as if she was my wife and was seeing me off to a suicidal battle. There was a brief moment where I almost went in for a kiss, but I restrained myself as I didn't want to instill any hope that things would change. Not until I was ready. I promised myself that if I was to get into a relationship with Arya, I didn't want to hold back, or make things more difficult for her.

Besides Marian, she was probably the one who had helped me the most in this life, mostly with the small things. Making sure I'd eaten, or bringing me a cup of tea or coffee if I was in the workshop for too long. While it wasn't like Reine hadn't done the same, Arya's gave off a different feel. Reine simply wanted to be by my side and required nothing else, her sense of professionalism preventing her from bringing feelings into the mix while she was performing her duties.

Arya on the other hand was nothing but her feelings, whether it was rage, sadness, or worry, she seemed like an open book to me. It was a strange contrast to the first year or so where she'd been abrasive and blunt that it almost seemed like she was a different person. However, she only showed her softer side when she was around me, as soon as others were nearby she would become the same abrasive and haughty High Elf I'd first thought she was.


Author's Note: This is the extent of Vell's and Arya's relationship for a while. The arc after they are done with school is focused on them and I plan on including past encounters that I skipped in favor of moving the plot and advancing time.

In other news, the poll has been decided. You are getting the Twins, a Lamia, a Hellborn, and a Dragon. I might pick or poll for more at a later date, but that's it for now.

202