Chapter 6
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The lesser moon was at half, the greater still at crescent. That means we'll get lucky today!" Taljir said as he climbed atop his camel.

Omid cast a questioning eye to him as he ascended on his own camel. Taljir had been getting worse lately. Of course, perhaps Omid had as well? So many things that were adding up from the draining suns, restless sleep, and the endless nothing they had been finding.

"You're listening to old wives' tales now?" He asked, thankful his frown and furrowed brow were mostly hidden by his scarf.

"Of course not, just my grandmother's wisdom!" Taljir's hurt tone and slight indignation told Omid that though his face was hidden from suns, sands, and delirious scouts his skepticism was as clear as the waters of the Mirrored Shallows.

A place he desperately wished to return to, but was starting to believe it would be nothing but a dying dream of a young man at this point.

"Well, where would your grandmother point us to? With the rations we have left, we have two days before we must return to the caravan. Empty hands are better when they're still alive." He didn't want to waste any more time explaining that any tale from his grandmother would by definition be 'an old wives tale'.

"She was a basket weaver and knew nothing of navigation. I however say we need to follow the dunes east. The last I saw of that fox it was headed east, and it looked very thirsty!" Taljir had not a shred of uncertainty left in his voice as he directed his camel to start heading east. With an overly grand wave of his arm he ushered his fellow scout onward.

Omid shook his head as soon as Taljir's attention was focused on this fool's journey. As the two rode onward at a brisk pace he began to wonder just how likely it would be that Taljir would put up a fight once he started insisting it was finally time to ride back to the caravan with empty hands. His dark eyes glanced down to the short blade at his hip, only for a moment.

He blinked away the thought, focusing instead on looking out over the dunes. Taljir may be delirious but he was not a bad person by any means. Certainly not one prone to senseless violence. Though as the two kept riding through the low light of dawn, and Omid continued scanning the horizon he couldn't help but notice that Taljir never wavered in his focus ahead.

Not once. Omid dismissed it as Taljir trying to keep from getting lost, returning his gaze to the horizons. Over the next few hours, suns still hanging low in the sky, every time he looked at Taljir his gaze was still fixed forward. And he was becoming ever more certain that he could hear Taljir's whispers, always addressing Nazer with a low voice filled with lament. 

Nazer was still, the last time Omid checked, only a camel. 

Omid was no longer certain that any sense was left in Taljir, and cast another worried glance to the saber at his hip. Only for a moment, shaking his head once more and feeling that the desert was finally starting to get to him. He had begun to trust Taljir, perhaps he could even call him a friend.

If they could make it out of this alive, preferably with their sanity mostly intact.

That now all too familiar shadow flickering at the edge of his vision, just off at the edge of a dune and vanishing as his eye twitched ever so slightly to catch it reminded him of how that may never happen.

Something out here was watching him, would it stop if he made it out of the desert?

The tortoise had been a test, he was certain of that. The previous day Taljir had seen a small fox scampering about at dusk. They attempted to follow it for as long as they could but the setting suns forced them to put those plans on hold until the following day. Perhaps the fox too had been a test, but for Taljir this time? Was it the same entity that was testing Omid? Something different?

Omid rubbed at his temple through his scarf, wincing hard before readjusting it and returning to staring out at the same sands that had been taunting and tormenting him for far too long now. He had started to think of all the things he had read about. Things both benevolent and hostile. The worst part of it was, every single thing that it could be was something that would require a sharp mind.

This was good news, as Omid was largely unpracticed with a sword. 

This was bad news, as Omid could feel his mind being dulled by the day out here.

Again, he heard Taljir’s whispers and with every step of his camel Omid felt like his situation was getting more dire. He desperately scanned the desert, knowing it was likely useless at this point. Perhaps something was still out there, clearing away seemingly everything from their path just as had happened to Aiz.

Omid blinked, everything feeling...almost too real as an idea hit him, and brought some much needed clarity. No longer lost in thought, he could hear just how silent the desert was and every single noise currently breaking that silence. Nazer and Masel’s steps upon the sand, the very occasional shifting and settling of gear on their backs, Taljir’s whispers, Omid’s own breathing, and nothing else.

Not even the slightest breeze. 

And in that silence his idea became as clear as the finest glass.

Omid calmly reached down to the pouch on his belt holding the glass that Aiz had made and given to him, and withdrew it as he kept his focus out ahead on Taljir. He was mentally daring that same shadow to appear once again, to catch whatever it was in the reflection of the glass instead of trying to see whatever or whoever it was directly. 

A sword wouldn’t work. It would certainly be reflective enough, probably even more so than the small disk of glass that he had. But it was far too difficult to be subtle with a sword, and merely drawing it may be taken as a threat against whatever followed him.

Because it had to be something.

As mentally worn down as he was, he knew it had to be someone out there watching. And as long as he could finally admit that to himself, that he was still being watched and that those tiny bits of shadow sometimes creeping at the edge of his vision were really there, then he could try for the truth.

Omid chanced a glance down to the small disk, catching a tiny bit of his own reflection. The smallest of smiles graced his lips as he made a show of continuing his normal routine of scanning the horizon, feeling emboldened as this plan might work. He still wasn’t completely happy with admitting to himself that this wasn’t just all in his head, but knowledge of what was out there was at least something to go on.

Meanwhile, Taljir was still whispering to Nazer. Still staring out straight ahead. His sanity would have to hold out long enough for...well whatever plan Omid was able to come up with once his current plan worked. Once it hopefully worked and he knew what the...entity that was after them looked like, so that hopefully he could formulate a plan based upon its identity.

Taljir gave a laugh just loud enough to be audible, as Omid took a deep breath and shook his head. 

"Hello!"

A young woman's voice dissolved whatever thoughts were going through both of the young men's heads. Their eyes instantly went to the source of what they had assumed had surely been an illusion at first, but at the ridge of a dune sat a young woman on a camel. Her manner of dress was unknown to them, but the fine yellows and indigos of her attire told them she was likely at least somewhat wealthy.

She rode down to the two as she waved still, one hand firmly upon her camel's saddle. A bow at her back and a short sword at her hip told them she was not to be assumed completely helpless. Taljir wasted no time in pulling his scarf from his face and beaming a bright smile.

"You grace us with your presence!" He happily exclaimed as Omid's eyes rolled. "What ever are you doing out here on your own?"

The young lady stopped a short ways away from the two, she pulled down her own scarf to speak. Its indigo color matching that of her eyes, making for a striking combination against skin almost as dark as Omid's.

"I have been entrusted to deliver a very important message." She said in an official tone while patting a pouch on her camel's saddle. "I was hurrying on my way to the oasis when I found you two. And what are you two doing on your own out here?" She said with a raised brow.

Taljir's smile grew even wider. "We were also looking for an oasis! Or caves! Or a herd of sand striders, we're not picky! Where did you say that oasis was?" He asked while trying to hide his excitement, though his hands trembling on his saddle betrayed him.

Omid said nothing as his dark eyes narrowed slightly. It was too convenient, he thought to himself. Too convenient and she was dressed too well for a messenger. But dwindling resources made him listen for now out of desperation. 

The young lady tilted her head slightly. "And may I have the names of those who wish to access my tribe's oasis?" She asked in a tone displaying clear suspicion. 

Taljir gave a slight nervous chuckle. "Ah! Where are my manners? My name is Taljir Tabazad! And this is my best friend Nazer." He said patting his camel's neck.

"They call me Omid." He said, still warily watching the girl and mulling over what possibilities could explain this while holding the small glass disk tight in his grip. His words were chosen carefully, though even he would admit it was on instinct and would hate to admit that it was his own grandmother's advice to not freely give one's name to strangers. He ignored the scowl Taljir quickly shot at him.

The young lady looked to each, nodding to Taljir and smiling to Omid. "You may call me Sareen of the Silver Sea, and the oasis is several hours to the north."

"North! I told you it was north!" Taljir said with another nervous laugh and an only semi-joking scowl to Omid before addressing Sareen once more. "Perhaps we could ride with you to this oasis? We would hate to lose the way, and our caravan would pay handsomely for its waters and food."

The corners of her lips turned down ever so slightly as she looked behind them. "I see no caravan." She stated plainly.

"We are but humble scouts of a noble trade caravan." He said with an exaggerated bow in his saddle. "My too quiet traveling companion has the lapis lazuli compass to return us to them once we find something of value. Or return with hands filled only with shame."

Omid glared at his companion. "No shame in returning empty handed. The knowledge that nothing is in an area is valuable in its own right." He firmly corrected.

"Shame and the bitter taste of defeat." Taljir firmly ignored him as he continued. "Please, take us to this oasis. Why, just think of what our trade caravan could offer to you and your noble tribe!"

The tilted her head again, and once more cast a smile to Omid as she ushered her camel onward. "If that is your desire, then follow me." 

Before Omid could object, the young lady had drawn her scarf across her face once more and her camel had taken off at a brisk run. Taljir quickly followed without even the slightest hesitation. Omid had no choice but to take off after them, less he wander the desert on his own.

As they rode, Omid's mind raced even faster. He knew something was wrong and now Taljir was dragging them both into its waiting jaws out of delirious desperation and a desire to impress some pretty girl.

That he met in the middle of the desert.

A thought flickered into Omid's mind while the dulled edges of the glass disk dug into his palm. It really was all too convenient. A beautiful young woman in fine clothes appearing in the middle of the desert to freely tell of an oasis, just over the horizon? The flickering thought had burned brighter, igniting an old memory. His grandmother's warnings again, to beware the desert and its true masters.

"Kirzallans are not like you or I, they are from the moons. The moons once had cities and people too, but Kirzallans turned them all to sand to punish them for their greed and wickedness. So share some of your figs with your grandmother or all this will be sand."

It was a foolish thought. A story that was told to children to get them to behave. And Omid was riding as fast as he could to catch up with the two out ahead of him to warn his fellow scout. Even if this woman was not of the sands themselves, this was still far too suspicious. After all, perhaps it was yet another test? If something and someone was really out there would they really finally show themselves now? 

Omid was a wiry young man, which made him a fast rider. He put it to use as he rode faster and faster to catch up with the others. But just on the horizon, he saw green. His eyes left the others as he gazed at the top of a palm tree just visible over a dune. As he rode more and more green peaked into view.

His own shock was broken by Taljir's delirious laughter as he rode even faster to the oasis now in full view. 

Its beautiful indigo waters so vast as to stretch from horizon to horizon. Its shores flanked by palms heavy with dates in clumps as large as a man, all stretching into the sky. Pomegranate shrubs ripe with fruit as large as two fists and glistening in the sun like the finest rubies. Every single last blade of grass ripe with grains ready for a plentiful harvest. Kingdoms had been built on less opulent and bountiful water sources, to say nothing of the veritable garden that could feed an army. This was less an oasis and more a lake upon which a kingdom could stand and never let its people know hardship.

Taljir was already stumbling off his camel as Omid finally caught up to him. He quickly dismounted as Taljir made a break for the water, Sareen only finally leisurely dismounting.

"You fool! It's a trick!" Omid shouted in desperation.

"YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS SHE HAS EYES FOR ME!" Taljir spat out as he ran into the waters of the oasis. His eyes lit up as he felt the cool water against his skin, and waded up to his waist.

Omid hurried after him, quickly stashing the small glass disk before coming to a stop as he watched Taljir plunge his hands into the water, still laughing like a mad man. He cupped them together and brought the waters to his lips.

And not once did Omid hear a single splash.

"Wait!" Omid shouted as his mind returned to him. He reached out a hand as he ran to Taljir, but he had already brought the water to his lips.

Taljir frowned, his hands shot down into the water once more as he cupped more and brought it to his lips. He drank and drank and only looked more confused.

A feeling shared by Omid as he stopped at the shore, carefully watching Taljir.

"I...I'm still thirsty...must be going crazy..." He leaned down to the surface of the water, drinking from it directly before rising once more to look to Omid. His brows pressed together as he frowned. "I can feel it, it's cool to my lips, cool to my tongue but I...I'm so thirsty...never been thirstier..."

"Taljir...Taljir get out of the water...stop drinking it!" Omid urged with a wavering voice, reaching out with his arms to beckon his fellow scout back onto land.

“It's not…” Taljir reached a hand up to his face, feeling at it with a look of growing panic. Omid’s eyes went somehow wider as he noticed Taljir’s bronze skin turning tanner and tanner by the moment, looking coarser as its color changed.

Omid took a step back from the shore, and another as his mouth hung open.

“So...thirsty…” Taljir said in a hoarse whisper, as even his eyes started to look like his now tan and coarse skin. He swayed a moment in the water as he took a step towards Omid, his arm shakily reaching out before turning completely to sand. Its own weight caused it to break off and fall into the water, quickly dispersing and clouding the liquid.

Omid was too terrified to even scream, and as he watched even Taljir’s eyes finally turn to sand he caught them darting to look just past him in their last moments before the whole of what had once been him fell into the water.

There was not a single splash to be heard, only that of sand hitting more sand.

Until there was another sound; footsteps on sand. From just behind Omid.

His breath was heavy, all attempts to slow it futile. His eyes focused on the spot where Taljir had once stood in the water, his clothes floating at the surface all that remained. Omid took a deep breath and closed his eyes before turning around.

Sareen’s indigo eyes stared back at him, from all too close. A smile quickly spread across her face.

1